Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Abu Dave posted:

are there any good vietnam movies that arent full metal jackets or alpocalypse now

Operation Dumbo Drop.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
lawrence of arabia is boring as hell

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

People have mentioned the acting and the soundtrack but to me the real strength was the crazy visuals from the 70mm 'super panavision' cameras, which had its own epic grandeur I haven't really seen in other formats.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
You are missing out a beautiful movie and the cause of the mid east mess we are in today.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://vimeo.com/52693433

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's awesome dude youdont be disappointed. it was the last movie my dead father and i watched together, over scotches.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its something the average viewer doesn't care about but it has some of the best editing in movies

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mr.capps posted:

its something the average viewer doesn't care about but it has some of the best editing in movies

match to sun, brother

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Orkin Mang posted:

it's awesome dude youdont be disappointed. it was the last movie my dead father and i watched together, over scotches.

last thing i watched with my dead father was fuckin an episode of hardcore pawn while my dad nodded out a lot from pain medication and drooled all over himself from the hole where his lower jaw used to be. i had an off-brand cola and he "drank" an ensure through his feeding tube. get bent you lucky so-and-so.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Turkish fruitcake general cornholes pretty blue eyed brit twink

`fin

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

The Tao Jones posted:

PS check out "Beckett" while you're at it

loving Aye. Beckett!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It's on right now and it's real good

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

it's not a war movie, it is a character study of a young british homo caught up in the great war who decides the best way to lead his life is to recruit a bunch of arab nationalists to help him get into the pants of the nearest turkish general. it is ultimately unfulfilling for him and the rest of the movie is him violently coming to grips with the fact that the turks are selfish lovers

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why does Lawrence like Arabia so much

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Who is he?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
i havent either OP.

i haven't seen most of those "must see" films.

sound of music? gently caress right off chap

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

good he'll be great in it

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Harald posted:

Never seen it. What am I missing out on?

Dances With Camels

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

"It's clean."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's easily in the top 10 of all-time movies, and it will help you sit through what was surely not on that list - Prometheus - by watching Michael Fassbender channel Peter O'Toole's performance through an android.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It's just what he liked so much. Unlike the hipster jihadist wanna be's of today, Lawrence actually took the times to learn Arabic, worked in Arabia and took care of the village he lived in for a while as he conducted archaeological expeditions.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The most prominent female character is a camel.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Egbert Souse posted:

3 1/2 hours of loving incredible acting.

definitely, and cinematography, it was really designed to take advantage of the big screen

it looks ok on a big TV but seeing it in the theatre will blow you away

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
He was loving those two boys he hung out with in the first half, right?

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Frackie Robinson posted:

No. The only homosexual act he was involved in is when he was raped by the Turks.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Gatekeeper posted:

last thing i watched with my dead father was fuckin an episode of hardcore pawn while my dad nodded out a lot from pain medication and drooled all over himself from the hole where his lower jaw used to be. i had an off-brand cola and he "drank" an ensure through his feeding tube. get bent you lucky so-and-so.

good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's easily in the top 10 of all-time movies, and it will help you sit through what was surely not on that list - Prometheus - by watching Michael Fassbender channel Peter O'Toole's performance through an android.

its actually Fassbender channeling Newton from The Man Who Fell to Earth channeling Peter O'Toole

its amazing

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Gatekeeper posted:

thread needs more dead dad stories

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Hadaka Apron posted:

... and she was a good camel. :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

definitely, and cinematography, it was really designed to take advantage of the big screen

it looks ok on a big TV but seeing it in the theatre will blow you away

Yeah I saw the 4k restoration in theater for the 50th anniversary, it was mind blowing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Don't feel bad OP I've never met a Lawrence from ANYWHERE. I think it's one of those fake names.

Unless wait is Larry short for Lawrence because I might have met a Larry once. Not sure where he was from if I did though, probably not Arabia.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hadaka Apron posted:

and here i thought Bechdel sounded vaguely Arabic

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Cnut the Great posted:

and here i thought Bechdel sounded vaguely Arabic

There are no female characters with any lines at all unless you count a bunch of women making wordless chants.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's possible the real TE Lawrence was loving one of them given his letters and his dedication of a book to one of them.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hadaka Apron posted:

There are no female characters with any lines at all unless you count a bunch of women making wordless chants.

best kind of movie

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

Don't feel bad OP I've never met a Lawrence from ANYWHERE. I think it's one of those fake names.

Unless wait is Larry short for Lawrence because I might have met a Larry once. Not sure where he was from if I did though, probably not Arabia.

Larry in Arabia sounds like a movie about a fat guy from the mid-west that got lost on an international bowling tour.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's possible the real TE Lawrence was loving one of them given his letters and his dedication of a book to one of them.

It's been rebutted by historians that there was never any homosexual encounters. It's a common thing for arab young males to show feminist affections to other males., especially foreigners.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Reign Of Pain posted:

Larry in Arabia sounds like a movie about a fat guy from the mid-west that got lost on an international bowling tour.

Larry the cables guy 2: Larry in Arabia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Hadaka Apron posted:

Well it IS set in Arabia.

• Locked thread