Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The new Batman vs Superman is all about the casualties Superman could have prevented fighting Zod but didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Flameingblack posted:

How often does anyone except a villain die in Marvel/DC movies though? They don't even mention casualties.

Plenty! Off the top of my head, and not counting mentor-y characters like Uncle Ben or Jor-El (buncha comic movie spoilers coming):

Quicksilver in Avengers 2
Cyclops/Prof. X/Jean/a bunch of jobber mutants in X-Men 3
Bucky (kind of) in Captain America 1
Coulson in Avengers 1
Rachel in The Dark Knight
A few Nova Corps. guys in GotG

Death is a constant factor in comics/comic movies, and while it's definitely not the most family friendly topic, it does find its way into such things. And while it's definitely really stupid to have Missile Assault Ant be LITERALLY A CHILD MURDERER, it isn't outside the scope of possibility for a comic book-y kind of universe like Chikara. Just a bit out of character considering its roots.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Plenty! Off the top of my head, and not counting mentor-y characters like Uncle Ben or Jor-El (buncha comic movie spoilers coming):

Quicksilver in Avengers 2
Cyclops/Prof. X/Jean/a bunch of jobber mutants in X-Men 3
Bucky (kind of) in Captain America 1
Coulson in Avengers 1
Rachel in The Dark Knight
A few Nova Corps. guys in GotG

Death is a constant factor in comics/comic movies, and while it's definitely not the most family friendly topic, it does find its way into such things. And while it's definitely really stupid to have Missile Assault Ant be LITERALLY A CHILD MURDERER, it isn't outside the scope of possibility for a comic book-y kind of universe like Chikara. Just a bit out of character considering its roots.

Lucha Underground's done a great job of providing a more adult oriented wrestling fed with some goofy comic book type characters and storylines, I don't think anyone's claiming it's impossible. It's still kinda a jarring shift in tone for a promotion that's 90% cleaner PG than WWE to start doing angles about war crimes and terrorism without any middle ground.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
It's certainly a very dark turn for Chikara. I'm assuming that soon we'll hear something from Missile about this, whether he did the deed aware of what he was doing, or if he'd been, say, told to fire a missile locked on target, without being told what the target was. Or simply been forced to do it by Deucalion, who, let's face it, wasn't exactly shy about murdering his own lackeys if they couldn't get the job done.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I wish they could make a backstory for Orbit Adventure Ant too. Did Condor send him into space to blow up the moon?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

DM Punk posted:

I wish they could make a backstory for Orbit Adventure Ant too. Did Condor send him into space to blow up the moon?

Maybe to calibrate their orbital killsat.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

an ant blew up a school bus in Zimbabwe

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I love the escalation of this. Kid Cyclone decides that the mask and gimmick isn't what he's all about, so he removes it and goes by run-of-the-mill heel guy Kevin Condron. Condron then goes to Volgar and says that the mask and gimmick isn't what he's all about because he's really a juking and jiving southern musician who also wrestles. So then the third beat of this is Condron goes to Missile Assault Ant and says that the mask and gimmick isn't what he's all about because he's actually a mass child killer guilty of war crimes.

I'm not even mad. That's amazing.

Bard Maddox posted:

an ant blew up a school bus in Zimbabwe

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nightmare Warriors will be represented at Trios with the team of Hallowicked, Frightmare and Silver Ant. I guess that means no Hallowicked title defenses that weekend.

That leaves three more teams: Arcane Horde, Crown and Court and probably Condron's team. Speaking of which, he had this to say on Twitter:

Kevin Condron posted:

Missile Assault ANT was a bad guy warped by even worse people

Missile Assault MAN is a beautiful, brave individual who deserves forgiveness

Really hope they just start calling him that from now on.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

That leaves three more teams: Arcane Horde, Crown and Court and probably Condron's team.

My guess is Mantis & Batiri for the Horde and Jervis & Ice Creams for Crown and Court. (I expect them to play an angle where Jervis tries to get the Ice Creams to be less silly.)

Gavok posted:

Speaking of which, he had this to say on Twitter:

Really hope they just start calling him that from now on.

MISSILE! ASSAULT! MAN!

Has a good ring to it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

My guess is Mantis & Batiri for the Horde and Jervis & Ice Creams for Crown and Court. (I expect them to play an angle where Jervis tries to get the Ice Creams to be less silly.)

I mentioned it a few pages back, but I hope they go with Mantis/Batiri for the sake of making kayfabe sense (they actually work well together and Oleg is a major liability), only for one of the Batiri guys to get hurt before the show and them having no choice but to replace him with Oleg.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
They should have all the Xtreme Colony members be named after horrible misdeeds they performed in the past.

Orbit Adventure Ant blew up the Challenger Shuttle.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Angular Landbury posted:

They should have all the Xtreme Colony members be named after horrible misdeeds they performed in the past.

Orbit Adventure Ant blew up the Challenger Shuttle.

Arctic Rescue Ant caused the polar vortex.

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.
I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the unmasking of Missile Assault Ant and how it has personally affected us. Just chatting about the details as they come in, or wondering about the Chikara's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Missile Assault Ant. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Missile Assault Ant is a terrorist. He killed dozens of children. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Missile Assault Ant. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out Missile Assault Ant as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional rodeo clown since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Pennsylvania to join the circus had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a rodeo clown was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Missile Assault Ant in a lot of ways. He was a man who was destined to be a Chikara champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was masked. He was only an insect. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through the sheer effort of Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 24 years-old.

Missile Assault Ant was only 24, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his career the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like The Estonian Thunder Frog, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could blow up a bus in Zimbabwe a week later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for the rest of the Colony, and not for Mike Quackenbush, who is autistic.

MIssile Assault Ant owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us their monthly shows are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every month the show goes on. Every month the show is from somewhere in the North East, but every month it comes onto a messageboard near you.

And that will continue. But Missile Assault Ant is dead. And he died a terrorist. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with children's blood.

Missile Assault Ant is a Terrorist. And I don't know how to accept that.

Capn Combustible fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 29, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Capn Combustible posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the unmasking of Missile Assault Ant and how it has personally affected us. Just chatting about the details as they come in, or wondering about the Chikara's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Missile Assault Ant. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Missile Assault Ant is a terrorist. He killed dozens of children. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Missile Combat Ant. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Missile Combat Ant as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional rodeo clown since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to join the circus had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a rodeo clown was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Missile Combat Ant in a lot of ways. He was a man who was destined to be a Chikara champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was masked. He was only an insect. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through the sheer effort of Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 24 years-old.

Missile Assault Ant was only 24, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his career the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like The Estonian Thunder Frog, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could blow up a bus in Zimbabwe a week later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for the rest of the Colony, and not for Mike Quackenbush, who is autistic.

MIssile Assault Ant owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us their monthly shows are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every month the show goes on. Every month the show is from somewhere in the North East, but every month it comes onto a messageboard near you.

And that will continue. But Missile Assault Ant is dead. And he died a terrorist. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with children's blood.

Missile Assault Ant is a Terrorist. And I don't know how to accept that.

I can't rate this higher than an A- due to constantly calling him "Missile Combat Ant" and switching back and forth.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Flameingblack posted:

How often does anyone except a villain die in Marvel/DC movies though? They don't even mention casualties.

Villains die all the time in Disney cartoons

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.

Gavok posted:

I can't rate this higher than an A- due to constantly calling him "Missile Combat Ant" and switching back and forth.

This is a very emotional time for me.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

It was announced on Chikara's new streaming show "Journey into Chikara" (which is "live" - matches are pretaped, but they live re-dub new commentary and provide "stuido" green-screen segments where they hype upcoming shows) that the next KOT team is from the Arcane Horde and will be Oleg The Usurper & The Batiri.

KOT Teams
1. Bullet Club - AJ Styles & The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
2. Team AAA - Drago, Fenix, Aero Star
3. Team Fight Club: PRO - MK McKinnan & Mustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate)
4. Team ATTACK! - Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews, "Flash" Morgan Webster
5. bWo - Stevie Richards, Blue Meanie, Nova
6. Devastation Corporation - Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch - defending King of Trios champions
7. Dasher's Dugout - Icarus & The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown)
8. The Snake Pit - Ophidian, Shynron, Eddie Kingston
9. United Nations - Juan Francisco de Coronado, Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Mr. Azerbaijan
10. The Gentleman's Club - Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak, The Swamp Monster
11. Bruderschaft des Kreuzes - Jakob Hammermeier, Nøkken, Soldier Ant
12. Battle Hive - Amasis & The Colony (Fire Ant & Worker Ant)
13. Nightmare Warriors - Hallowicked, Frightmare, Silver Ant
14. The Arcane Horde - Oleg the Usurper & The Batiri (Obariyon & Kodama)

This just leaves Crown and Court's trio to be announced, and then one last trio-- possibly Kevin Condron's unit (himself, Lucas Calhoun, Missile Assault Man or Troll) unless they continue the quasi-angle of Quack not giving Condron what he wants.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Use the code FlairFlop and you get a free week of Chikaratopia

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Mantis suffered an injury in Indianapolis and is out indefinitely, which is why Oleg is on the Horde's team instead of Mantis.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Mantis suffered an injury in Indianapolis and is out indefinitely, which is why Oleg is on the Horde's team instead of Mantis.

See, I was right!

:smith:

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Not Mantis. Out indefinitely, and he's had major injuries in the past worries me.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

The last COTI trio for KOT has been announced-- Crown and Court will be represented by Princess Kimber Lee and Los Ice Creams.

One trio left to announce.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

syzpid posted:

Not Mantis. Out indefinitely, and he's had major injuries in the past worries me.

has he had injuries in recent years? the most recent major ones i can think of led to the forming of incoherence.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

The most recent blog on Chikara Pro's site is from Kevin Condron, basically saying "do the right thing, Quack, and let my team into the tournament."

His team, by the way, is apparently called the "Battleborn."

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The most recent blog on Chikara Pro's site is from Kevin Condron, basically saying "do the right thing, Quack, and let my team into the tournament."

His team, by the way, is apparently called the "Battleborn."

Seems like Condron got the name from this song cause the lyrics seem to relate to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyA1GL1touw

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

DM Punk posted:

Seems like Condron got the name from this song cause the lyrics seem to relate to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyA1GL1touw

All I know is I wouldn't mind seeing the Kevin Condron's Kettle Corn Battleborn in KOT competition.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Condron gonna swerve everyone and team with 3.0 instead of his new group.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

DM Punk posted:

Condron gonna swerve everyone and team with 3.0 instead of his new group.

But Condron wants to WIN matches.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Quack's gonna book the Submission Squad to spite him.

Then when Condron shows up thinking the Squad will no show again, he finds out they camped out at the arena all night.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

New blog up on Chikara Pro from Quack, which seems to suggest Condron's team is in at slot #16, but is a bit vague.

I suspect we'll get a confirmation on who trio #16 is on Journey Into Chikara tonight.

EDIT: Confirmed. Condron's group is called Battleborn. They are team 16, and yes, MAA is now being called Missile Assault Man.

The King of Trios list
1. The Bullet Club - AJ Styles & The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
2. Team AAA - Fenix, Drago, Aero Star
3. Team Fight Club: PRO - MK McKinnan & Mustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate)
4. Team ATTACK! - Mark Andrews, Pete Dunne, "Flash" Morgan Webster
5. The bWo - Da Blue Guy, Big Stevie Cool, Hollywood Nova
6. The Devastation Corporation - Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch
7. Dasher's Dugout - Icarus & The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown)
8. The Snake Pit - Ophidian, Shynron, Eddie Kingston
9. United Nations - Juan Francisco de Coronado, The Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Mr. Azerbaijan
10. The Gentleman's Club - Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak, The Swamp Monster
11. Bruderschaft des Kreuzes - Jakob Hammermeier, Nøkken, Soldier Ant
12. Battle Hive - Amasis, Fire Ant, Worker Ant
13. Nightmare Warriors - Hallowicked, Frightmare, Silver Ant
14. Arcane Horde - Oleg the Usurper & The Batiri (Obariyon & Kodama)
15. Crown & Court - Princess Kimber Lee & Los Ice Creams (El Hijo del Ice Cream & Ice Cream Jr.)
16. Battleborn - Kevin Condron, Lucas Calhoun, Missile Assault Man

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 5, 2015

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Missile Assault Ant committed war crimes in Africa

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Confirmed for KOT-- Rey de Voladores returns. The first two competitors are Matt Cross & Mascara Purpura.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bard Maddox posted:

Missile Assault Ant committed war crimes in Africa

One of the 2015 King of Trios champions committed war crimes in Africa.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I never looked up Missile Assault Ant's twitter before but yep it's pretty much what I expected.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So now that we have our 16 in stone, who do we think is going to win?

Of the five guest teams, only Bullet Club has an outside chance, mainly because Young Bucks are regulars and they've never had a guest team win Trios. Then again, if they're going to have that happen, they probably wouldn't do it the year when there's a big faction war.

Of the in-house teams, the ones you can count on to definitely lose early are Gentleman's Club, Crown and Court and United Nations. United Nations is the only one I can even see make it to the second round, but no further.

Devastation Corporation don't really need to win two years in a row. They need to put someone over. Similarly, Nightmare Warriors have Hallowicked as the champ and winning Trios doesn't seem too necessary.

Dasher's Dugout hits me as a team that could definitely win, but really shouldn't because right now they have no heat. They're just like Battle Hive. They're fine to cheer for, but they're also just kinda there. I wouldn't doubt maybe a second or third round rematch with DevCorp where they win.

Snake Pit seems fairly likely, even due to their lack of cohesiveness. It's a fun grouping of wrestlers who could lead to some fantastic matches and they're due to have Kingston win one of these.

BDK could take it just so they can finally do something with them. They're always on the cusp of being a big deal, but nothing ever happens with them.

Arcane Horde are most likely to win Challenge of the Immortals and having them win Trios would be jumping the gun.

Battleborn will likely make it to the semis, but no further. The push is too early and it would cheapen CotI to have a team win that isn't even in the season-wide tournament.

In the end, I'd be totally cool with Snake Pit going over Bullet Club in the finals.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I am really rooting for Battle Born to win. I think it would be really interesting for a non-COTI team to win it. They've done a good job with Condron and I wanna see more from him. He's the most interesting character in CHIKARA right now.

I would actually LOVE to see Crown and Court upset Dev Corp too. They keep having Kimber Lee battle those guys and she always loses. It would be really cool to see her win against them.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I could see Battleborn, Bullet Club, AAA, and Dugout make the final four, with Battleborn over Dugout in the finals.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Bullet Clubs gotta win this. No way AJ or the Bucks will lose to some nobodies. That or they get DQ'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

I wonder if Gentleman's Club (or at least Chuck Taylor) get anything big to do at KoT, seeing as how Chuck is apparently on his "Retirement Tour" and is leaving wrestling soon (supposedly).

• Locked thread