Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Not clear if this ruling disallows private companies from sticking a CDN directly on an ISP's network and pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

still a better outcome than the current situation of isp agreements carving the country into local monopolies

most of the time that only happens in cities and its because the local city gov is being paid to do it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

Not clear if this ruling disallows private companies from sticking a CDN directly on an ISP's network and pay for it.

yes. that's a fast lane and since it would provide better service to customers its banned under net neut.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I guess it's how the FCC places regulations on broadband service

something tells me this will change since the FCC can just set rules and regulations at will becuase of title II

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

my comcast bill goes up .70-1.50 every couple months and I've never been able to figure out why

they're really bad. i switched to centurylink over the summer and my bill has been $30 and change for 40/5 ever since.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

most of the time that only happens in cities and its because the local city gov is being paid to do it.

80% of the US population lives in a "city"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

my comcast bill goes up .70-1.50 every couple months and I've never been able to figure out why
same

and even more lol for the people who rent the lovely modem/router combo so comcast can setup the xfinity hotspot through them while getting free power from the home owner

then the home owner get hit with the rate hike on the equipment rental anyway

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

didn't read the thread; have the blood gates finally been opened?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

didn't read the thread; have the blood gates finally been opened?

obama still needs to Complete the Ritual

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

obama still needs to Complete the Ritual

thanks, obama :argh:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

you will pay through increased ISP subscription costs. however, its still highly likely that this just causes ISPs to abandon new infrastructure improvements at their edges. either way its a terrible day for the internet.
yes surely the ISPs haven't been charging as much as possible while doing absolutely nothing forever
we're really going to suffer now :cry:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ugh, gross, why isn't that transparent

title II! :argh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

thanks, obama :argh:

do you know how hard it is to find a real seventh son of a seventh son?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
can the FCC force ISPs to allow resellers like for pots networks under these rules?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

can the FCC force ISPs to allow resellers like for pots networks under these rules?

it specifically does not include unbundling

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

it specifically does not include unbundling

thats really the only thing i'm disappointed with. that and the knowledge that i'll never get a municipal network around here but even if i do it will be implemented in the absolute worst way possible and have a bunch of retarded restrictions because of rick scott

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

anyone who actually thinks ISPs haven't been doing anything is really dumb. ISPs spend billions of dollars every year which is why municipal broadband is going to be really hilarious. u think ppl are gonna pay more in property taxes in a few years when they try to keep up with private companies in capex spending? lol

municipal internet will be stuck in the past and then u will realize just how much comcast, verizon, etc actually do invest

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

cremnob posted:

ISPs spend billions of dollars every year

lmao no they dont

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the government gave the isps two hundred billion earth dollars in tax breaks and local monopoly power in exchange for serving rural areas and they not only didn't do it they asked for more

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao no they dont

well sure they do, they just spend it on advertising and lobbying.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

well sure they do, they just spend it on advertising and lobbying.

maybe collectively

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

maybe collectively

in 2013 verizon spent 2.4 billion, att spent 2.9 billion, and comcast spent 3 billion. on advertising.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

in 2013 verizon spent 2.4 billion, att spent 2.9 billion, and comcast spent 3 billion. on advertising.

now do bonuses

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

then :lol: actual infrastructure

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ATT was nice enough to put a u-verse gateway on my block

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

80% of the US population lives in a "city"

I mean real cities where isp competition should be a thing but isn't. in the vast majority of places where there is little competition it is entirely due to the costs of establishing a network and the low return on a small population and not laws preventing competition.

qirex posted:

the government gave the isps two hundred billion earth dollars in tax breaks and local monopoly power in exchange for serving rural areas and they not only didn't do it they asked for more

actually they did exactly what they were asked to do and made broadband (defined as 768k+) available to the majority of the us as well as establishing the massive cell data network that we have now. more money would of course be needed to serve those out in the boonies. personally I think they should move to civilization instead of demanding someone else pay for it.

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao no they dont

lol. net neuts cant deal with the fact that isps have massively increased the size and capacity of their networks so they have to shove their heads in the sand to pretend it isn't real

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ahaha

when clicked the actual story has a different title

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

this was already tried and doesn't work because surprise surprise networks actually cost money to build and maintain and are not unlimited magic like net neuts would have you believe

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said the company invested $11.8 billion into its wireless and wireline network in the first six months of 2014. He said the carrier confirmed in July that it expects to spend a total of around $21 billion this year on its network.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Speaking at the UBS Annual Global Media And Communications Conference today, Shammo said that Verizon continues to expect to spend roughly $17 billion this year on capital expenses across its wireless and wireline business, which he said is at the high end of the carrier's guidance for the year.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hmm yeah let's file bonuses, advertising, and lobbying costs into whatever "infrastructure" is supposed to be

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

cremnob posted:

AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said the company invested $11.8 billion into its wireless and wireline network in the first six months of 2014. He said the carrier confirmed in July that it expects to spend a total of around $21 billion this year on its network.

how much of that was actually invested into real internet infrastructure, not wireless bullshit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i feel so bad for these massive entrenched corporations having to do all of this work for nothing :qq:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

how much of that was actually invested into real internet infrastructure, not wireless bullshit

the wireless poo poo is why the countryside has coverage with cell phones at all

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

leave at&t alone!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I'm sure they'll still make plenty of money while being classified as a utility

nope, internet is dead

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, it's awfully convenient that they don't separate wireless and wired capex.

at&t just spent $18.2 billion and verizon $10.4 billion on wireless spectrum. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/aws-3-auction-results-att-leads-182b-verizon-104b-dish-10b-and-t-mobile-18b/2015-01-30

now you can blow through your 1GB/month cap in just a few minutes, with each additional gigabyte automatically billed at what i'm sure are incredibly fair prices

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

the wireless poo poo is why the countryside has coverage with cell phones at all

so? idgaf if the countryside has cell coverage, their wireline service is subsidized and i would bet that money is factored into their "infrastructure investment" costs even though they didnt pay a goddamn penny of it

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

pagancow posted:

does not prevent it. hosting closer to the end user is already the status quo, regardless of the fcc ruling.

Shaggar posted:

yes. that's a fast lane and since it would provide better service to customers its banned under net neut.

no. you are wrong. a fast lane is arbitrarily blocking/policing traffic on the transit ingress and then requiring that traffic originator (netflix) or customer to pay for access to a direct peering link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

any time a business complains about regulation but doesn't immediately drop/pivot those lines of business they're probably just blowing hot air

• Locked thread