Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I care about being a hacker
Yes
No
I don't have a third option.
View Results

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Guys, do you still care about being considered a hacker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

was it ever

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The dude that wrote the highly influential book the church and the open air market or w/e thought so.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
The cathedral and the open air cesspool

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

The cathedral and the open air cesspool

literal lol.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The dude that wrote the highly influential book the church and the open air market or w/e thought so.

esr has never been relevant

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and gently caress you for posting this thread and reminding me of his existence

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Today (2000), martial arts seems to have become firmly established as the hacker exercise form of choice, and the martial-arts culture combining skill-centered elitism with a willingness to let anybody join seems a stronger parallel to hacker behavior than ever. Common usages in hacker slang un-ironically analogize programming to kung fu (thus, one hears talk of “code-fu” or in reference to specific skills like “HTML-fu”). Albeit with slightly more irony, today's hackers readily analogize assimilation into the hacker culture with the plot of a Jet Li movie: the aspiring newbie studies with masters of the tradition, develops his art through deep meditation, ventures forth to perform heroic feats of hacking, and eventually becomes a master who trains the next generation of newbies in the hacker way.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Intelligent. Scruffy. Intense. Abstracted. Surprisingly for a sedentary profession, more hackers run to skinny than fat; both extremes are more common than elsewhere. Tans are rare.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

quote:

Hackerdom is still predominantly male. However, the percentage of women is clearly higher than the low-single-digit range typical for technical professions, and female hackers are generally respected and dealt with as equals.

females.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it was a collection of badly remembered in-jokes and stdh.txt, curated by a parrot loving paedophile apologist, and a deformed racist dwarf

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I only know about it because people unironically read it at my engineering school ~2000

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Intelligent. Scruffy. Intense. Abstracted.

eric scott raymond ... what a heart throb

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i just googled some c programming thing and the top result was from esr's website. loving hell

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

one time i was on the train borwsing the pos as usual and this old lady maybe 60 or 70 years old asked me if i was hacking the train
i told her that i wasnt but i pulled a face of evil intent to confuse her. people started looking at me afterwards and i just sat there being the elite computer user i am. they knew who to fear.

Widdiful fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 26, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Widdiful posted:

one time i was on the train borwsing the pos as usual and this old lady maybe 60 or 70 years old asked me if i was hacking the train
i told her that i wasnt but i pulled a face of evil intent to confuse her. people started looking at me afterwards and i just sat there being the elite computer user i am. they knew who to fear.

seems unhackerly.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Widdiful posted:

should have said yes, where do you want to go today

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
found your jargon file op http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=41721

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

code-fu more like poo

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The dude that wrote the highly influential book the church and the open air sewer or w/e thought so.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
will someone plz post that hilarious drawing of stallman/reynolds/torvalds in leather jackets with their backs turnedl ooking all cool?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

will someone plz post that hilarious drawing of stallman/reynolds/torvalds in leather jackets with their backs turnedl ooking all cool?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

thank you !!1

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
holy poo poo great av

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

"generally"

still amazing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

seems to me like a bunch of stuff ESR made up and proto geeks parrot it to increase their cred

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
stallman: the heart of linux
torvalds: the mind of linux
raymond: the beard of linux

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what is this no checkbox scrub tier poll poo poo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

:holymoley:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Without the Jargon File, how would we protected from the inhuman alien poo poo zombies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it is, op.

• Locked thread