Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tim Cook said he's charging his every night :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm really expecting for both higher models to be upgradable. I'd say the sport model will get left out in the cold. I'm also hoping the mid-range model will be 500-600 and not 750-1000 as I have read. I really have my heart set on it but cant imagine paying that much for it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm really expecting for both higher models to be upgradable. I'd say the sport model will get left out in the cold. I'm also hoping the mid-range model will be 500-600 and not 750-1000 as I have read. I really have my heart set on it but cant imagine paying that much for it.

Upgradable in what sense? I really don't expect Apple to handcuff themselves to first generation hardware for years.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet

No one knows for sure but rumours are it will be bad, like moto 360 "can't get through a day without being off most of the time" bad. Which seems in line with how high-quality the screen looks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Tim Cook said he's charging his every night :o

Right. Do people really yearn to sleep with their watch on? I never understood the flip out reaction about nightly charging I guess. I'm not wearing a bulky watch to sleep. Not even a Rolex. May as well plop it on the Qi charger (360) as your head hits the pillow. The Apple watch will have a Qi charger, right? (zero interest in iOS, just curious)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Right. Do people really yearn to sleep with their watch on? I never understood the flip out reaction about nightly charging I guess. I'm not wearing a bulky watch to sleep. Not even a Rolex. May as well plop it on the Qi charger (360) as your head hits the pillow. The Apple watch will have a Qi charger, right? (zero interest in iOS, just curious)

It's a magnet charger.

Also if the watch had sleep tracking I'd like to wear it at night.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

MarcusSA posted:

It's a magnet charger.

Also if the watch had sleep tracking I'd like to wear it at night.

Anything bigger than a displayless fitness band is probably not going to be comfortable to sleep in. If you want a smart watch and not a fitness band, just get one of these for sleep tracking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Karki posted:

Anything bigger than a displayless fitness band is probably not going to be comfortable to sleep in. If you want a smart watch and not a fitness band, just get one of these for sleep tracking.

Well I sleep with the Microsoft Band on now and it's no too bad. Honestly thinking about it more sleep tracking hasn't been too helpful for me because in the end I know I don't go to bed early enough which results in me sleeping like poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

hotsauce posted:

I refuse to believe this is an actual problem, I go to bed and take my watch off and stick it on it's charger. I sleep with my Fitbit but like Karki pointed out if sleep tracking is really important to you there are dedicated devices.

As long as the battery lasts all day and it has a really, really good automatic wake feature charging it every night is going to be no big deal.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Reverse Centaur posted:

No one knows for sure but rumours are it will be bad, like moto 360 "can't get through a day without being off most of the time" bad. Which seems in line with how high-quality the screen looks.
Where are these "rumors"?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Where are these "rumors"?

quote:

According to our sources, Apple opted to use a relatively powerful processor and high-quality screen for the Apple Watch, both of which contribute to significant power drain. Running a stripped-down version of iOS codenamed SkiHill, the Apple S1 chip inside the Apple Watch is surprisingly close in performance to the version of Apples A5 processor found inside the current-generation iPod touch, while the Retina-class color display is capable of updating at a fluid 60 frames per second.

Apple initially wanted the Apple Watch battery to provide roughly one full day of usage, mixing a comparatively small amount of active use with a larger amount of passive use. As of 2014, Apple wanted the Watch to provide roughly 2.5 to 4 hours of active application use versus 19 hours of combined active/passive use, 3 days of pure standby time, or 4 days if left in a sleeping mode. Sources, however, say that Apple will only likely achieve approximately 2-3 days in either the standby or low-power modes

Apple has also been stress-testing the Apple Watchs battery life with pre-bundled and third-party applications. Our sources say that Apple is targeting 2.5 hours of heavy application use, such as processor-intensive gameplay, or 3.5 hours of standard app use.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/22/apple-targets-for-apple-watch-battery-life-revealed-a5-caliber-cpu-inside/

quote:

Apple was originally shooting to eke out an entire day of battery life from Apple Watch. Obviously that's not all active use; in fact, the company is said to be shooting for 2.5 to 4 hours of active application use with the screen turned on. That'll vary depending on how heavily you use it, of course. But since the wearable's display will often be turned off throughout the day and because the iPhone handles a lot of computing tasks Apple is apparently hopeful that the watch can make it from morning until you place it back on the wireless charger at night. 19 hours of combined active and passive use seems to be the bar as of right now.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7873649/apple-watch-battery-life-will-be-just-like-any-other-smartwatch

Not exactly hard to find...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MarcusSA posted:

Well I sleep with the Microsoft Band on now and it's no too bad. Honestly thinking about it more sleep tracking hasn't been too helpful for me because in the end I know I don't go to bed early enough which results in me sleeping like poo poo.

The apps/devices for tracking sleep are worthless or harmful at worst and just 'ok' at best, so you're not missing out anything by not using them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

illcendiary posted:

Upgradable in what sense? I really don't expect Apple to handcuff themselves to first generation hardware for years.

In the sense of sending it back to Apple, who would pop the back off your expensive gold Apple Watch Edition, remove the guts that were the same as the $349 model, and insert the guts of the next $349 Apple Watch released in 2016.

I would not expect this, though. At best I'd imagine they'd do a recycling program like every other device, with the recycling credit being related to the melt value of the gold.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

illcendiary posted:

Jim Dalrymple touches on it in this article along with Gruber

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/02/26/every-apple-watch-and-repairability/

Basically, why would this image exist is the gist of it

braveplan
May 1, 2013

hotsauce posted:

Yes. Fitbit has a silent alarm feature that wakes you up with vibrations. I can't handle waking up to blaring alarms anymore. It would be a nice app to have on Apple Watch but it's not a deal breaker if I can't wear one to bed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

gerrps posted:

Yes. Fitbit has a silent alarm feature that wakes you up with vibrations. I can't handle waking up to blaring alarms anymore. It would be a nice app to have on Apple Watch but it's not a deal breaker if I can't wear one to bed.

I wear my Fitbit to bed, occasionally I will pass out with my Wear or Pebble on but end up getting up in the night and taking it off. I just can't see people sleeping with something bigger than the Charge nor wanting to.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

I wear my Fitbit to bed, occasionally I will pass out with my Wear or Pebble on but end up getting up in the night and taking it off. I just can't see people sleeping with something bigger than the Charge nor wanting to.

I've slept with a large watch on for the past decade. It's something you just get used to.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

I've slept with a large watch on for the past decade. It's something you just get used to.

It depends on your climate. Doing this in the Pacific Northwest is a good way to get your arm amputated eventually.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What does that mean? Genuinely curious

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rear end Catchcum posted:

What does that mean? Genuinely curious

Stuff grows everywhere in temperate rainforests. If you keep something pressed against your skin 24/7 when it's near 100% humidity all the time, it's gonna get nasty. Basically the human version of this

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
In before Apple lawsuit for moldy arm that had to be amputated ambulance chaser case.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

Stuff grows everywhere in temperate rainforests. If you keep something pressed against your skin 24/7 when it's near 100% humidity all the time, it's gonna get nasty. Basically the human version of this

Yikes. I'm glad I live in the desert!

braveplan
May 1, 2013

suddenlyissoon posted:

Jim Dalrymple touches on it in this article along with Gruber

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/02/26/every-apple-watch-and-repairability/

Basically, why would this image exist is the gist of it

I remember Gruber talking about this on his podcast. He makes a good case for why it could be possible because the internals are made up of one chip. Imagine, instead of having to replace a $350+ watch (or $1000+ if you bought the gold watch) every 2-3 years you'd just take it into an Apple Store and they'd replace the chip with the current gen spec (S2, S3, etc).

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

gerrps posted:

I remember Gruber talking about this on his podcast. He makes a good case for why it could be possible because the internals are made up of one chip. Imagine, instead of having to replace a $350+ watch (or $1000+ if you bought the gold watch) every 2-3 years you'd just take it into an Apple Store and they'd replace the chip with the current gen spec (S2, S3, etc).

Have you ever seen an iPhone older than 2-3 years? Those things get trashed, scratches, chips, cracks galore. If you think that Apple build quality is going to be significantly higher than an iPhone I don't even know. '

Dear lord, Apple Watch cases...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
 Watch Socks.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I hear Otter Box is working on gauntlets.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The watch will have sapphire glass but yeah poo poo happens. I smash my smartwatch into doorknobs all the time, and with my Samsung I managed to unclasp it and toss it face first into concrete just by standing up on stairs (snagged on the handrail).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think there are going to be a lot of Apple Watches that end up in drawers. I'm pretty pessimistic on the whole smart watch concept. People will get caught up in the hype, buy one, and then realize they don't actually want to wear a watch every minute of every day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I think there are going to be a lot of Apple Watches that end up in drawers. I'm pretty pessimistic on the whole smart watch concept. People will get caught up in the hype, buy one, and then realize they don't actually want to wear a watch every minute of every day.

well, its obviously going to differ person to person, but I got bought in after having my original Pebble for a bit. Honestly, most of what the watches do is "frills," it really comes down to getting a notification on your wrist means you can leave your phone in your pocket, so less distractions. I haven't even had a watch that had the ability to respond or do much else and it has been pretty useful so far.

I never wore a watch before this either.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I likely won't be buying a smart watch until its pedometer/exercise features are almost on par with the dedicated units like Fitbit or Jawbone. I recently bought a Fitbit Charge HR and I am pretty taken with it, and I actually find it's linking to the phone and telling me about my incoming calls more useful than I thought it would be. Having a smart watch would be great, but for the cost of an Apple Watch I don't really want to be wearing two units.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked as well for fitness tracking as the Fitbit Charge HR (except in battery life), but I'm not sure a $349 watch is really competing with a $149 one.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I likely won't be buying a smart watch until its pedometer/exercise features are almost on par with the dedicated units like Fitbit or Jawbone. I recently bought a Fitbit Charge HR and I am pretty taken with it, and I actually find it's linking to the phone and telling me about my incoming calls more useful than I thought it would be. Having a smart watch would be great, but for the cost of an Apple Watch I don't really want to be wearing two units.

You realize the fitbit isn't completely accurate either, right? This has just as much of a chance of being equally semi-accurate.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought a Fitbit Charge HR and returned it as the HR measurements were useless. For at least some part of the population, it seems like optical HR sensors are basically just a random number generator.

For me, it would measure 30 bpm too high just sitting quietly in a chair, compared to taking my pulse and watching a clock. For others, there's a big thread on the Fitbit forums complaining about how they wore the Charge HR and a chest strap and the Charge read 50 bpm too low.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh, I know it isn't accurate - those things are more about establishing a baseline than anything else. Heartbeats will always be more accurately measured if using a strap, and wearing a pedometer on your waist will be better than one on your wrist. From what I read some of the android smart watches are egregiously inaccurate when it comes to steps, whereas the fitbit is probably only "kinda accurate." I happen to enjoy using it and I like the graphs and other things on the fitbit app, but I'd happily switch over if I didn't feel compelled to wear two products. I enjoy Apple Health so it would be great to be able to use that without needing a work around!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hell if I know if they'll be doing it, but one thing they could do is leverage the fact that they'll probably have two motion sensors on you a lot of the time (wrist and pocket) and get a better read on your activity from that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The reviews I've read of the various fitibit wrist straps (that have bothered to check. Hilarious number of "reviews" don't even check) have shown them to be accurate to within 10% for steps.

Honestly, good enough for me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I still question whether devices are measuring resting heart rate because it's useful, or just because it's something they can measure.

OTOH, I can see why people want active heart rate in a watch, since most runners wear watches anyways, and don't love chest straps, and heart rate is useful for training.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

The reviews I've read of the various fitibit wrist straps (that have bothered to check. Hilarious number of "reviews" don't even check) have shown them to be accurate to within 10% for steps.

Honestly, good enough for me.

I had both a fitbit and a jawbone and found the fitbit to be much, much more accurate. The jawbone would sometimes register less than half of the correct number of steps.

I rarely keep my phone with me (leave it plugged to the computer) when at work and will frequently walk away from my desk and around my building. My main concern is the functionality of the watch at that point. I'm hoping it will continue to measure steps & other basic things without the phone connection.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

It's -/+ like <5% for walking for me but way, way, way off for running. You can adjust the stride length but I haven't bothered to see how accurate it is since I always track my runs with GPS/Treadmill.

I didn't really notice at all before the Charge HR because you couldn't set a workout but I run 5k+ a day and I'm lucky if it counts 2 miles of it, probably not even close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

It's -/+ like <5% for walking for me but way, way, way off for running. You can adjust the stride length but I haven't bothered to see how accurate it is since I always track my runs with GPS/Treadmill.

I didn't really notice at all before the Charge HR because you couldn't set a workout but I run 5k+ a day and I'm lucky if it counts 2 miles of it, probably not even close to that.

Are you saying that it's off on step counting for running or just distance measurement?

My FitBit Flex is pretty good for me for running. During pleasant weather I run 5k a few times a week and haven't noticed it being too bad for distance measurement. Of course, I don't pay any attention to its distance measurement since I use RunKeeper, but I feel like I would have noticed if it was off by miles.

• Locked thread