Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New macbook? New macbook.

edit: looks like the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Integrated antenna? Something else to hold wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Wow, you cannot fit much text on that screen.

I bet you can make it smaller, with the only downside being it's unreadable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will get a sport so I don't feel so bad replacing it when Apple inevitably fixes/improves it a year from now.

And if the price of the edition watch shocks you then you were never part of its target market. That's for people that want the exclusivity of a good that's overpriced enough to keep it super rare in the wild, and for whom dropping 10 or 20 grand on something like this isn't something they spend much time thinking about, before or after the purchase. There's a lot more of those people out there than you probably think.

The people most offended by the edition watch are those that think themselves wealthy, but are reminded by this that they aren't even close.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rivid posted:

What's the killer app?

Clock

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do the bands fit all the watches? I can't tell from the pictures of the cases are different with the various bands/types of metal case.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dietrich posted:

$500 luxury watches

A what now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Don't be daft. $500 can buy you an automatic Tissot with a sapphire crystal. $350 can buy you a titanium, sapphire and atomic Citizen ecodrive, and $650 can get you a Raymond Weil.

Nevermind the deals you can score if you pick up a second-hand watch from one of the big watch forums.

It's not that you can't get a nice watch for that price. I happen to wear a Tissot. I just wouldn't consider it to be a luxury watch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Tissot watches use the same movements as many TAGs, and most people would consider TAG to be a luxury brand.

There's no way Tissot is not considered to be a luxury watch.

Fair enough. When I think of luxury watches, I think brands like Audemars Piguet and Blancpain and Hublot.

And I don't even remember what the original point of all this was. To me, Apple's pricing makes sense to keep some exclusivity with the nicer looking options. Given the watch as jewelry angle, folks don't want to wear the same jewelry as everyone else. Stupid pricing, like charging $500 for a steel band, help to ensure that. As for me, I'll buy the cheap one and hope for 3rd party options that don't suck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

They already did it with the Moto 360. :rolleyes:

Glue some gears to that and you'll be steampunk as poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The fact that Vertu is very successful tells me that Apple will do well with the ridiculously priced models.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know round faces look better, but it seems like so much less of an efficient use of space. Plus the Moto one have letterboxing or some poo poo, so you get even less space than it would first appear.

edit: wow that zenwatch is ugly. And huge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I look at it as a donation to push technology further.

Ok not really. It's just wasting money on an expensive toy that I don't need, but on the other hand I've done that a lot in my life and I don't seem any worse for wear for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me I have a twentieth anniversary mac in my garage in the original box. Wonder if Gazelle would take it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

I'm not sure if they'd take it… but I might! How's the condition? Is it complete? I've always wanted one of those.

The computer is, yeah. I don't think the pen and pencil set or the disk wallet are still there. And last I checked, the speaker cloth was still perfect.

That machine had the best startup sound of any mac ever.

Now I want to fire it up to play with OS9.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll see if I can set it up and get some pics. I don't know if I actually want to sell it because it may be quite the novelty in another 20 years, but you guys have me wanting to play break it out.

edit: That minitosh is cool as hell. There used to be a time when I would extol the virtues of an SE/30 to anyone who would listen. I miss those machines.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everything has come full circle. A gizmodo post comparing (sort of) the apple watch to the TAM.

http://gizmodo.com/the-last-time-apple-sold-an-obscenely-overpriced-gadget-1691787901

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of my apps just got updates for the watch and now I"m getting excited. Seems to me that 3rd party apps are going to be what makes or breaks this device.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/11/18Developers-Start-Designing-Apps-for-Apple-Watch.html

"Starting later next year, developers will be able to create fully native apps for Apple Watch."

I wonder if that's because the expect next year's model to have better battery life.

And to the guy questioning the looks, I agree that the Moto looks better. Any round watch does, really. But it's an inefficient use of the space on your wrist and as a way to display info. Plus the Moto has this weird letter boxing thing going on that looks like crap when you see it in action. There are watches where the full circle of the face is a functioning screen and those look better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

y'all are seriously being a bunch of fuckboys about this watch. they fuckin' you.

You are hilarious. Please tell me what other consumer electronics get your panties in a bunch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

I feel like you people are purposefully ignoring what I'm saying. I'm saying Apple is purposefully holding features back and short changing their customers, MOST glaringly with this Watch.

There are features they could very easily put in right now, but are holding back for later models, which pretty much means they're ripping you off. And if that's a company you want to keep supporting, that's fine, but as technology gets cheaper and cheaper, they will have competitors that challenge them and not be too far off, which hasn't been the case in the past.

Why is the Sport the least sporty?

Why is the battery life a joke?

Why is the base model as much as unlocked iPhone?

Why do I have to use their straps?

Because they a bunch of assholes and you a bunch a fuckboys.

I'm ignoring what you're saying because your either an immature troll or someone who is needlessly and embarrassingly wrapped up in what other people buy. I don't know which is worse, but either way you aren't contributing anything to this thread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Serious question. Why do people need to know their heart rate and all this poo poo all of a sudden

Runners have been measuring their heart rate for years. They just haven't always worn devices to do it for them. Never seen a jogger stop and take their pulse on their wrist?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

What is the app going to tell you about your pace that you wouldn't already know from your actual physical feedback (i.e. how tired you are or how out of breath you are)?

"Oh sorry, app says here that I'm actually not tired at all, okay go faster legs!"

Here's a little reading on the topic. Short answer: Knowing your heart rate helps you to adjust your pace/exercise intensity to get the maximum value out of it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887?pg=2

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Smashing Link posted:

Consensus is the sport band is best for running?

Gold link Edition is best for running. Gold won't tarnish when exposed to sweat like other metals.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good lord you sent me clicking and first I see "Conquered by Clippy: An Erotic Short Story" and apparently readers of that also bought "But... You're a Horse."

I hate you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This would have never happened under Steve Jabs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guinea pigs are good eats, so you got that to look forward to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Clearly you've never felt the thunderous farts of a baby.

Yeah it's pretty wide range. From "that was cute" to "oh god I think we have a containment breach."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that a hoof?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally broke down and ordered a milanese loop 42mm.

At this point apple just needs to link up with my bank account and automatically ship me new products, would save me so much time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any evidence that obsessively checking your email for shipping updates will speed things up, despite being told your watch will arrive in June? Looking to justify my neurotic behavior.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Laughing at goons thinking they can solve Apple's supply chain logistics.

You're right folks, there was a simple solution that would allow everyone to have their watch on launch day but Apple apparently doesn't employ anyone smart enough to figure it out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBond posted:

Smaller stuff requiring more effort to jam into the small space, more time for the workers to do it, etc? I am obviously not a manufacturing person at all so I'm just spitballing here. It's possible Chinese factories are so good at this stuff regardless.

That's why they employ kids, they have smaller hands.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I still read Gizmodo.

Gizmodo posted:

As is tradition, Apple did a lot of things to screw up its first Apple Watch, battery life and tattoo-phobic sensors just being two examples.

Is there a tech blog without the bias (that also doesn't flip the other direction like Macrumors)?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone with a milanese on order got a shipping update? I was late to the party ordering and all I have listed is "June."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

corsair posted:

Ok cool, thanks! I will see if I can set one up for today.

I was surprised. My regular watch is 42 mm I think, and the apple watch looked smaller on my wrist than it does. The apple watch is also thinner and lighter than my regular watch. I have small wrists for a guy as well.

Still, you should try it on, but I was pleasantly surprised by the size of it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely thinner than my chronograph. Doesn't look nearly as thick as the Moto watch. That thing is ridiculous.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Looks like 10.5 mm thick for Apple Watch and 11.5 for the Moto 360.

That's less of a difference than I would have thought. Maybe because the edges of the apple watch are rounded and the moto edge is straight up and down, it just look crazy thick to me.

I do prefer the look of a round watch face versus a rectangle, but a circle just isn't an efficient use of wrist space.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't get folks like the first commenter on that thread who buy something they can't afford and have to hope the charge is timed with a paycheck being deposited. No one needs an apple watch. Why stretch yourself thin just to get one (not to mention one of the more expensive ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any time I buy a new computer for my company I use my email address when registering. I could be a god on those forums.

• Locked thread