Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Problem description: My PC froze while I was getting ready to play a game. I pressed the reset button and it reset but nothing came on my monitor. Held the power button and it turned off. Turned it back on and still nothing. Upon another reboot I looked inside the PC and didn't notice anything wrong. When it boots up it doesn't make any weird beeps or anything

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem? Honestly, it just happened. I am unsure of what to do because I simply can't do anything as I have no output. Is it the GPU?

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

System specs:

MB: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: MSI R7770
CPU: i5-2500K
Ram: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR
HDD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
PSU: XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I just tried a few things with no change.

I unplugged the SSD that I use for windows and restarted. I then plugged that back in and unplugged the 1TB drive and then restarted. No changes

I removed an individual stick of ram and restarted for both sticks. No change.

Each intervention did not change anything. When I turn it on there are no beeps. All the fans are running for each thing, the CPU fan, the GPU fan, the PSU fan, and the case fans. The lights are on my mouse and keyboard.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
UPDATE: I went downstairs and unplugged everything and brought it up to the kitchen. I brought just the tower and monitor. Plugged them in and gave it one more boot. I still didn't hear a beep but I saw the monitor turn on and then this came up:

All black screen with this white text:

CPU or Memory Changed !!! Please enter setup to configure your system. Press F1 to run SETUP Press F2 to load default values and continue

I pressed F1 and it took me to the BIOS. Looked like it reset stuff to some default as my CPU modifier was 33 or something similar. I changed it back to 42 and rebooted. It rebooted normally and went to desktop.

UPDATE 2:

Okay. So I took everything back downstairs and plugged it in as it was and it booted.. like normal?

I don't want to say solved because obviously something hosed up. What are some tests I can/should run to see if something is wrong? Any ideas?

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 27, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CancerStick posted:

What are some tests I can/should run to see if something is wrong? Any ideas?

Check HD health using the portable zip edition of:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Check CPU/GPU temps using:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

• Locked thread