Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Tusen Takk posted:

Main reason it annoyed me was because people on FB are yammering about this and seem to care about it way goddamn more than ISIS destroying ancient Babylonian artifacts or beheading 21 Egyptian Christians or the government telling telecoms to gently caress themselves.

So it's not all Internet hipsterism

I don't want to talk about book burning that literally nobody is surprised about. Who would have guessed that a violent military force fiercely driven by ideology would ever burn books. :jerkbag:

I do want to talk about why I'm right, how my Facebook friends are literally subhuman, and how I can thank this dress photo for finally revealing that.

Sincerely,
Everyone still posting about the dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly, do the people moaning think that it's the physical dress that's the talking point? I know everyone is posting about it and it can get run into the ground, but it's super interesting due to how divisive it is. You see it one way and cannot fathom how people are disagreeing with you.

I don't think anybody thinks that the talking point is the dress.
Some people don't find the topic of unconscious light balancing interesting, which is fine.
Some of those people just move on without posting anything, some just ask "hey can we stop talking about that dress", and others go full :smug:mode with "Who cares it's a lovely dress anyway".

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm kind of curious to know the age ranges of the people whose brains do and don't take the image at face value. It may make no difference at all, but I kind of wonder if people who grew up familiar with, say, polaroids, whose brains are accustomed to, or at the very least somewhat experienced with, compensating for lovely exposure or faded photos, might be the ones seeing the white/gold initially, and those who are used to most photos they take being generally correct are the ones who take it at face value as blue/black.

My understanding is that if your brain assumes it's in a shadow that has some (possibly fluorescent) blue light, it corrects that and makes you think it's white. On the other hand, if your brain assumes (correctly) that there is an overabundance of yellow/orange light, it corrects that and makes you think it's blue.

It could possibly be an indicator of what kind of light (esp color temperature) you interact with more on a regular basis.

Ruzihm has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Feb 27, 2015

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

At face value it's blue/gold, I have no idea how people are managing to get "black." I mean, I can tell it's a phenomenally lovely and overexposed photo and intellectually I can understand how it started out as black, but it's definitely not black at all in the finished picture (as opposed to the rest of the dress, which is definitely still blue and just gets reinterpreted as white.)

Like, observe these two very obviously black rectangles: and this Two of a kind, right?

Yeah, as a blueblack4lyfer, I totally agree that the pixels of the trim are not black. In fact, my very first impression of the dress was that it was blue & black/dark-brown.

Ruzihm has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

:laffo: at the nerds arguing about pixel colors.

If you don't understand the controversy was over the actual, in-reality, color of the dress, and why it's so difficult for most people to "switch" you need to get educated:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

That came out more aggressive than I meant but yeah it's a neat optical illusion.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

The actual white and gold fabric depicted here does a better job of looking like blue and black (when in shadow) than the dress does.

And the opposite could be said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

My favorite part was my coworker saying, "White and gold. It's obviously a blue fluorescent light causing it to look that way for you. I've seen it a thousand times. I even asked my photography buddy and he agreed with me. :smug:"

I told him, "Well, there's evidence for both sides, but someone found that dress on amazon, or at least one that looks strikingly similar, and if you google for it you can find it too."

He saw this page and said, even looking at the title of the product, that it was just under a more intense blue light :doh:

• Locked thread