Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

In the mid 1990s, a small company called DMA Design is struggling to release their multiplayer racing game Race'n'Chase while all kinds of management try to shut them down. A glitch causes the racers to be chased by the police and so the game was retooled, first as a cop game, but things are much more entertaining when you're the bad guy. So, in October 1997, Grand Theft Auto 1 was released on the PC and has the player go through six large levels in three expansive city maps committing crime either by themselves or for the local crime syndicate via missions.

Unsurprisingly, due to the difficulty of the game, the lack of a save feature and how if you fail a mission, it cannot be completed, this is a pretty hard game to format into an LP. However, due to a magical thing called a Dosbox modded with save states, I can ignore these problems completely. Well, I'll still fail missions, sometimes over and over again, but if I'm vigilant in my saving, I can complete every level perfectly. And there's plenty packed into the levels, secrets and weapons and bonuses, all the good stuff.

This does have a couple problems though; I can't have any music, but it means I can put in the absolutely excellent soundtrack whenever I please. If you know of any songs that I can add into the pool, any fantastic songs from later GTA games, then link them and you'll see them in a future video. And sometimes when I reload a state, or play the game normally, the audio can get a bit messed up, but there shouldn't be any problems.

And in April 1999, an expansion pack, GTA: London 1969, was released, which will also be covered. And, since I can get it working (more or less), we will also cover London 1961. Happy days.

:siren: SPOILERS ARE OKAY :siren:

Joining me, as always, is my partner in crime Dirty Deeds Done. So let's smack them bitches, cap them crims and gently caress poo poo up.

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations (excluding additional Multipliers)

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations (excluding additional Multipliers)

Kill Frenzy Locations (no video due to CRASHING)

Item Crate Locations (excluding North Vice Beach bonus)

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

:frogsiren: MUSIC APPRECIATION STATION :frogsiren:

Joyride by Da Shootaz (Theme) | Post

Four Lettered Love by Stikki Fingers (Rock) | Post

The Ballad of Chapped Lips Calhoun by Sideways Hank O'Mally and the Alabama Bottle Boys (Country) | Post

Complications by Ohjaamo (Chart) | Post

Days Like These by Reality Bubble (Chart) | Post

Let It Out by The Hounds (Rock) | Post

On The Move by Ghetto Fingers (Funk) | Post

Grand Theft Auto Pause Music | Post

Ride by Rotorman (Dance) | Post

Figiwhiz by Trancefer (Techno) | Post

Automatic Transmission by Meme Trader (Chart) | Post

Benzoate by Retrograde (Techno) | Post

This Life by Slumpussy (Hiphop) | Post

E104 by Government Listening Post (Techno) | Post

Blow Your Console by CCC ft. Robert DeNegro (Hiphop) | Post

Just Do It by Bleeding Stump (Rock) | Post

Aori by Ashtar (Funk) | Post

Pootang Shebang by Stylus Exodus (Funk) | Post

DSP by Animal Testing Centre (Dance) | Post

Largerstar by Technophiliak (Dance) | Post

London Station - Westminster Wireless | Post

London Station - Radio Penelope | Post

London Station - Bush Sounds | Post

London Station - Sounds of Soho | Post

London Station - Blowup Radio | Post

London Station - Queen's Theme | Post

London Station - Kaleidoscope | Post

London Station - Austin Allegro Chase | Post

London Station - GTA Pomp | Post

London Station - Radio Andorra | Post

London Station - Heavy Heavy Monster Sounds | Post

London Station - Radio 7 | Post

London Station - Police Radio

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
finding the right way around this map must be pretty hard because he's hosed on crack

loved the sound track to this game back in the day, had the boxed copy with the actual maps.

as always it was 3DFX supremacy

never played london or GTA2 - didn't like the look of it. so curious to see what they're like.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember playing this back in the day. I don't think anyone I knew ever got past the third main stage. After a while, we'd just wind up dialling in the cheats, giving ourselves unlimited weapons and seeing how much carnage we could create in ten minutes. The phrase 'hang him up by his rear end on a meathook' will remain forever embedded in my memory though.

Also, putting in a preemptive request for Bodycount - Cop Killer for any of the more involved Kill Frenzies.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I think I only had the Demo for this, but either way I never made it past Liberty City. Loved it so much. Not sure if it was a glitch, but one time I got to the point that no cops would show up no matter how bad my wanted level was. I think the game might have only had a finite amount of policemen. But I'm probably wrong. But those 4 hours of playing and doing missions and whatever I wanted with no repercussions was so much fun.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

syzpid posted:

I think I only had the Demo for this, but either way I never made it past Liberty City. Loved it so much. Not sure if it was a glitch, but one time I got to the point that no cops would show up no matter how bad my wanted level was. I think the game might have only had a finite amount of policemen. But I'm probably wrong. But those 4 hours of playing and doing missions and whatever I wanted with no repercussions was so much fun.

Because the first game was, in essence, completely broken, I never got past the second level without cheating. The controls were super awkward, the arrow that pointed your way led you astray (and you'd have to pause to check a map outside of the game if you hadn't memorized everything completely), and you had nothing but resprays and bombs to buy with your money, you'd eventually just give up out of frustration. And going back, man, how could anyone take this game seriously for long enough to get mad at the violence and profanity in it? The story basically doesn't exist, everyone talks like a 13 year old that just discovered a bunch of new swearwords, and the characters are not even caricatures, just random ideas cobbled together to make cutscenes.

The second game made a lot of fixes to the formula, and I at least managed to beat that one without cheating at some point, though the story takes even more of a backseat this time. But the map design was tighter, controls SLIGHTLY more fluid, the radio was better and the gameplay more fun overall.

While I think 3 suffered from a lot ot the earlier games problems still, at least it sort of tried to give you a kind of coherent narrative even if you mostly forgot about it for most of the game.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 28, 2015

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

JFairfax posted:

never played london or GTA2 - didn't like the look of it. so curious to see what they're like.

GTA2 is good. It lacks much of the bullshit in GTA1 including the difficulty and that stupid camera issue where you can't see your character if you're stood too close to a building. Assuming it's still available for free (rockstar made it available a few years due to some anniversary) it's definitely worth a try.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Used to play this game on the computers in high school, and GODDAMN were they hard.

Love this song from the menu of GTA 2:

e: Better version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv6mWA7OQiM

Burning Sensation fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 28, 2015

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
I remember playing this in black and white on a friend's Playstation. It was an American one, and the TV wasn't, so... y'know, that's why. Wow, that makes me feel old.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember a hilarious bug/feature, if you sit on a bike and press the attack button it'll get stuck if you crash the bike and you'll be auto attacking until you press attack again. And the first shot(s) will go straight into the bike. Combine with rocker launcher for hilarious suicide bombing in multiplayer. It got so bad for me and my friends that as soon as you saw someone on a superbike you got the hell away from him as fast as you could. You might not want to "arm" the bike until just before you hit the target though. Just saying. But it does make superbiking down the highway a lot more tense.

Oh, and get some L7 - Pretend We're Dead for that San Andreas feel.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
My experience with this game is piling cars into an intersection and hood-sliding indefinitely. Every time I tried to play seriously, something would also distract me, and then I'm back to hood-sliding.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Thanks for the music suggestions, I'll chop them up and place them here and there.

Death Zebra posted:

Assuming it's still available for free (rockstar made it available a few years due to some anniversary) it's definitely worth a try.

Unfortunately not anymore. It's not even on Steam, but I need to use the version I have. You can find second hand copies everywhere, including GTA London, I have the combined disks myself.

JFairfax posted:

finding the right way around this map must be pretty hard because he's hosed on crack

Oh yeah, whoops. I remembered that after recording. It's not a big deal, usually the first couple recordings are terrible and I spend the next few parts rectifying all the dumb things I said.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The phrase 'hang him up by his rear end on a meathook' will remain forever embedded in my memory though.

That's actually quite a ways into Level 4, since I've just recorded that mission. The dialogue may be childish, but I still love it. Probably because I myself am I child.

Also, I unfortunately stumbled on a Japanese fan site for this game very recently, but it's an excellent way of finding all the secrets in the maps. I'll be putting that stuff in the OP. So here's all the Kill Frenzies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, huge nostalgia bomb here. I never got too far in the original GTA, but played the hell out of GTA2, gonna be watching this with interest.
Now as for music, San Andreas was all about Cult of Personality.
(And some seriously weird stuff on the country station but there's no need to mention that)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 28, 2015

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Taxi Drivers Must Die.

How the hell did I forget about that?

Purplebeard
Feb 27, 2014
Ah, GTA. I spent a lot of time as a kid trying to perfect the art of driving the superbike. Still usually exploded within three seconds, though.

Fun game: fire a rocket launcher, jump on the bike and try to overtake and hit the rocket.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Part of me will miss the old Micro Machines top down style the classic GTA games had, but I don't miss the sometimes impossible difficulty levels these early games had.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Oh wow, this game. Never finished it and never have finished any GTA game, not even Vice City, even though that's my favorite. In this first game I did get through Liberty City, San Andreas and even the first half of Vice City, but the first missions after that were so bullshit I just had to give in.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah I always forget to include it in the OP, but there's no need for spoilers. We've already seen pretty much everything we can do in this game from those first two videos.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Goddamn this game was hard. Godspeed, you crazy diamond.

Song request: Rock Box by Run-D.M.C. My favourite song from Vice City, and one of my favourite songs of all time. Pretty please?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Ah I always forget to include it in the OP, but there's no need for spoilers. We've already seen pretty much everything we can do in this game from those first two videos.
The best vehicle is still to come, in the next mission I believe. :)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Haha payphones. What is this, the 20th century?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBh6239nvo

If you're not listening to this constantly, you're doing it wrong. Hands up everyone who still knows all the words?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I played this game so much as a kid; combining a sandbox game with childish profanities and endless violence? Yes please.

I think I legitimately played it through to the first level of Vice City, and god drat did that take forever.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBh6239nvo

If you're not listening to this constantly, you're doing it wrong. Hands up everyone who still knows all the words?
That was so good I reckon I'll play it again.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBh6239nvo

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

To show you exactly how difficult recording this game actually is, I've had the game crash on me a good number of times when recording Level 5. And I can't use these save states to reload after I've closed Dosbox down, so I lose every single bit of progress.

Two and a half hours just down the drain. And it was only six missions and all Kill Frenzies.

Guess I'll record it again when I'm in the mood for it. :suicide:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 1, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah there's the problem. Completing all the Kill Frenzies in Level 5 causes my score to roll up infinitely and crash the game.

At least I have the whole thing recorded, but it'll be a bonus video instead.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again in Level 6!

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I've been told I have to post song requests in the thread like the rest of you. Been Caught Stealing by Jane's Addiction was totally my jam in San Andreas, get on it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Level 1 Item Crates

And with that we're done with the pretty easy first level. And to tide you over until the next one, here's the first...

:frogsiren: MUSIC APPRECIATION STATION :frogsiren:

I can't help it, when recording and editing these videos, I really enjoy the game's soundtrack, it's fantastic. So, let's have a look at the first track you'll encounter:

Joyride by Da Shootaz

There won't be a proper band for each song and for some of them, I've made my own title, but for this one, it's a great way to start things off by showing exactly what kind of game you've bought. You better enter a level after 3 minutes of listening to this great song and it's always something to look forward to when you're driving around. Definitely one of my favorite tracks.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I believe that the feds and army show up in GTA2 if you get too much heat. At heat rating 5 and 6 respectively. :eng101:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Poil posted:

I believe that the feds and army show up in GTA2 if you get too much heat. At heat rating 5 and 6 respectively. :eng101:

Oh yes, yes they do. And if the army shows up, it's martial law: all civilians disappear until you get killed or clear your wanted level. Fun times!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I played the heck out of this game. I gave up after finding out you don't save after making it past Liberty City (at least, I don't remember saving). It takes a lot of practice, and a lot of luck, to get past some of the missions in this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I forget, did Grand Theft Auto 2 have an open world to explore, or was it a bunch of levels like this one? Either way, it's good to show the series' humble beginnings. I was afraid you weren't gonna finish this because of that glitch you encountered.

Crosspeice posted:

Joyride by Da Shootaz

There won't be a proper band for each song and for some of them, I've made my own title, but for this one, it's a great way to start things off by showing exactly what kind of game you've bought. You better enter a level after 3 minutes of listening to this great song and it's always something to look forward to when you're driving around. Definitely one of my favorite tracks.
I always associate this song with a flash animation on Newgrounds where Mario and Luigi shoot various video game characters. Appropriately enough, it was named "Super Grand Theft Auto Bros."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Y-Hat posted:

I forget, did Grand Theft Auto 2 have an open world to explore, or was it a bunch of levels like this one?

It worked like in GTA, but this time with different gangs to work for, who all wandered their respective turfs, so befriending one did have an impact on the game.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Haha, oh wow just hearing that intro tune takes me back. I still have the original case of this somewhere.

Also, I disagree on the fast cars vs. Mundano-middle; I was shocked when you didn't immediately slide over the first car at the opening and grabbed the Monster GT, which always passes by at that moment.

Fully agree on the gun mechanics though; I usually just started shooting offscreen (as they enemies have already spawned in place) and tried to kill like half of them in a machine gun spray & pray.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

It worked like in GTA, but this time with different gangs to work for, who all wandered their respective turfs, so befriending one did have an impact on the game.
I remember a Russian gang who had a fun mission involving making hot dogs. :getin:

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I remember a Russian gang who had a fun mission involving making hot dogs. :getin:
Yeah, GTA2 was where they started to rev the humor up.

Regarding the shooting, I don't remember whether this was added in GTA2 or the first game, but it's actually much easier to aim using the pistol because your guy holds it in both hands - in the middle of your character model, as opposed to the SMG being off-center. Still, the best guns are the ones you don't have to aim at all. GTA2's lightning gun is forever engraved in my heart.

straight 8
Jan 9, 2007

I used to think I was such a little rebel playing this when I was like 11.

I'm pretty sure I just used to exclusively drive around blowing poo poo up or gathering cars at an intersection and shooting the pile up with rockets.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Meaty Ore posted:

Oh yes, yes they do. And if the army shows up, it's martial law: all civilians disappear until you get killed or clear your wanted level. Fun times!

My bold.

Not always. I once saw one of the red t-shirt muggers try to ply his trade on an on-duty soldier. He was surrounded by several soldiers and gunned down with clockwork efficiency.

And good luck clearing your wanted level if there's only tanks and army cars on the streets.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, everyone will be pleased to know that Level 5 has been successfully recorded. But hoo boy did it go down kicking and screaming. Just need to redo the one mission where I accidentally saved whilst exploding. :sigh: It was bound to happen eventually.

And since I didn't do any Kill Frenzies, my score is much lower then it should be. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Death Zebra posted:

My bold.

Not always. I once saw one of the red t-shirt muggers try to ply his trade on an on-duty soldier. He was surrounded by several soldiers and gunned down with clockwork efficiency.

And good luck clearing your wanted level if there's only tanks and army cars on the streets.

Heh, I forgot about those muggers. I do love it when they or the (other) carjackers try to go after the cops/feds/soldiers and get their poo poo kicked in. Or the carjackers trying to pull you out of a tank. :haw:

• Locked thread