Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kill Frenzy Locations

:frogsiren: MUSIC APPRECIATION STATION :frogsiren:

Four Lettered Love by Stikki Fingers

Now we have a great song from the Rock soundtrack. There won't be a pattern to what song I'll showcase, but I had to really start with one I really enjoy. It's really drat dirty and fits quite well in a game like this. It's also great that the second half is not written down anywhere that I could find and it's pretty hard to hear what they say. Close enough, right?

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, GTA2 was where they started to rev the humor up.

Regarding the shooting, I don't remember whether this was added in GTA2 or the first game, but it's actually much easier to aim using the pistol because your guy holds it in both hands - in the middle of your character model, as opposed to the SMG being off-center. Still, the best guns are the ones you don't have to aim at all. GTA2's lightning gun is forever engraved in my heart.

GTA2 was just so loving good. The combat was improved, the mission balance was more fun, and the PC graphics are pretty good (OpenGL cards, I think, enabled a really cool looking night mode with dynamic lighting). The best thing is that each map had (vehicle spoiler) a tank hidden away somewhere. A real god drat tank, immune to small arms fire, could run over cars and blow them up without taking damage, and it had a turret with I think 10 or 20 shots for the main gun. Once I beat the game I'd just hop in that, and see how long I could last.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Ahh GTA... I played the hell out of this way back in the day. I think I made it as far as the first part of Vice City. If not then it was definitely to the El Burro missions.

The PSX version of this game was pretty janky. There were no trains there unless there a mission required them I think. There must have been a memory issue or something with that port of the game. You'd get weird poo poo happening if you played the game for too long, things like the Sound effects would get all mixed up and hitting the breaks would make the cop report sounds. Also ghost taxis would start to appear, where you're barreling down the highway and you just pass straight through an oncoming taxi.

What was really surprising is that there's a gameboy port of this game. Not a gameboy advance port, a friggen OG GameBoy. It's basically the same game, except there's next to no cars on the road because the gameboy can't handle it. The real problem with it is the controls though, that game was not designed to use four buttons. You have to do all kinds of weird control gymnastics that look like special fighting moves in Mortal Kombat just to steal what you can and run from the nation.

Oh the memories...

EDIT: Ooh I'm reminded of a couple of weird things you can do in this game if you can pull it off, if you punch the guy in the front of the hari krishnas they will all start following you around for some odd reason. You might need to hit him a few times for it to happen.

And don't forget to make a piles of skeletons by luring people onto railroad tracks once a train shows up.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 5, 2015

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

The Casualty posted:

GTA2 was just so loving good. The combat was improved, the mission balance was more fun, and the PC graphics are pretty good (OpenGL cards, I think, enabled a really cool looking night mode with dynamic lighting). The best thing is that each map had (vehicle spoiler) a tank hidden away somewhere. A real god drat tank, immune to small arms fire, could run over cars and blow them up without taking damage, and it had a turret with I think 10 or 20 shots for the main gun. Once I beat the game I'd just hop in that, and see how long I could last.

Actually, there were two tanks on each level, iirc.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm LPing the wrong game. :ohdear:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
At least the wrong version, you need to get the sweet sweet 3DFX version up and running for much smoother visuals !

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why don't you LP GTA 2 after this one?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Mraagvpeine posted:

We have to double back and finish a different series first.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

JFairfax posted:

At least the wrong version, you need to get the sweet sweet 3DFX version up and running for much smoother visuals !

It doesn't work in Dosbox, otherwise I would. I have tried it, but it just doesn't load, which is a shame.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I, uh, need to play it first. :sweatdrop:

I did order a copy when I got GTA1, but it never arrived. Playing this game has made me really want to play it so I could get an LP ready by the end of the year. I do have other games lined up though.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Crosspeice posted:

It doesn't work in Dosbox, otherwise I would. I have tried it, but it just doesn't load, which is a shame.
There's a 3DFX patch for DOSBox, you can get a build with it here or here.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That... does not look very nice. And it seems I have to download a separate build which won't be the one with save states that I'm using, unless you can mix and match, but honestly, I've wrestled with getting the game to work for hours and hours trying to figure out everything and think it looks fine as is, so I won't mess around anymore. Don't have the motivation to change things up either.

And I still can't get London 1961 to work. :arghfist:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Item Crate Locations

The Ballad of Chapped Lips Calhoun by Sideways Hank O'Mally and the Alabama Bottle Boys

And here we have one of the best songs in the game and one of the only reasons to drive in a Pickup, since this song plays all the time. I'm not that big a Country and Western fan, but this is a great song to drive along to. And it has quite a title, as well, as stated by the station.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If your car explodes as you're doing the exit animation you won't take any damage or be set on fire. It applies to npc's too. :eng101:

This is pretty obvious, but you are running DOSbox as administrator, right?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ah, GTA1. I remember playing this as a kid and never getting anywhere because the difficulty was ridiculous. I'd just use a bunch of cheats, blow stuff up and steal a bunch of cars to take to the docks. Then I got the GTA collection on Steam and played this as an adult, and never got anywhere because the difficulty is still ridiculous. I actually consider GTA2 one of my favorites in the series because it fixes most of the bullshit from the original and has a really cool atmosphere and soundtrack.

Speaking of the GTA2 soundtrack... JESUS IS OUR SAVIOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjxFKgEiq-g

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh man, GTA1. It's been a long long time since I played this but I still faintly remember parts of it like the Speed inspired buss mission I randomly stumbled upon.
I was probably far far too you when I played this so I barely understood half of it.

But in the end I think I preferred GTA2. Still remember some of the cheats I used for it. I think you used GOURANGA to unlock cheat mode.
Also, no one has actually linked the GTA2 intro? For shame. :colbert: Because it was like the best thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5j1qvZRFRk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

They really should bring back the chattering cop heads for notoriety levels in the next GTA, those are great.

Of course, I also wish GTA would go back to the old days where the games didn't try to tell some grand story about the futility of the American Dream or some poo poo while including stock market simulations and yoga minigames. Just let me be a criminal doing criminal stuff. I think that's actually why GTA Online is my favorite part of GTA5, as there's no real story there and most of the missions are "steal cars and/or shoot gang members." (also because you create your own character and get to play pretty princess dressup)

:arghfist::corsair:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 7, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Poil posted:

This is pretty obvious, but you are running DOSbox as administrator, right?

Yep. I think.

YES. YES. YESSSSSSSSSSS.

Also next video is when new music is added in here and there. Keep suggesting!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Man, this game brings back so many fond memories of just driving around and getting around the game's limitations and rulings on avoiding the cops and crime trackings.

Do you have any intention of giving GTA: London a go as well, since it's the same engine and it's an expansion anyway?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

I thank you for this.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

I thank you for this.

YESSSSSSS

Dinictus posted:

Do you have any intention of giving GTA: London a go as well, since it's the same engine and it's an expansion anyway?

YESSSSSSS

Uh and London 1961 if I can get it working.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Wow, R* actually took down the free downloads of GTA1 and 2 on the website and removed the games from the complete pack on Steam as well as places like GreenManGaming. What the gently caress.

There was something about them being released on PSN as PSone classics a while back, but I haven't heard anything since. The PS versions are pretty bad anyway so that's not a big loss, but I don't understand why they don't let us play these games at all any more unless we get ancient CD copies or :filez:. I'm almost surprised they didn't suddenly disappear from my Steam library.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I remember that if you brought cars to the docks for sale they'd actually still physically be there for a time on the concrete slab behind the crane.

What that meant is that you could sell a shitload of cars for cash and then blow them up from across the water while they were standing on the concrete slab. With the multiplier on you could finish an entire level like that :q:

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Wow, R* actually took down the free downloads of GTA1 and 2 on the website and removed the games from the complete pack on Steam as well as places like GreenManGaming. What the gently caress.

It's a drat shame. The PC version of GTA2 is much more fun especially if you like driving on the pavement.

Also, it would be great if the latest GTA5 brought back the rap sheet you get in GTA when you get busted. Even better if they add a prison sentence calculation and an online leaderboard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Death Zebra posted:

It's a drat shame. The PC version of GTA2 is much more fun especially if you like driving on the pavement.

Also, it would be great if the latest GTA5 brought back the rap sheet you get in GTA when you get busted. Even better if they add a prison sentence calculation and an online leaderboard.
Hell yeah. Just doing Bad poo poo and running away from police is way too fun in the first two GTA games especially given the uncontrollable fast cars; they got rid of that in the later installments and that's a drat shame; make a game about that, who can stay being a total monster for longest.
I'd play the hell out of a remastered GTA2 if they kept the "physics".

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

anilEhilated posted:

Hell yeah. Just doing Bad poo poo and running away from police is way too fun in the first two GTA games especially given the uncontrollable fast cars; they got rid of that in the later installments and that's a drat shame; make a game about that, who can stay being a total monster for longest.
I'd play the hell out of a remastered GTA2 if they kept the "physics".

I never played any GTA games beyond the second, and this was exactly why. Most of my GTA 2 deaths were due to blowing myself up during Molotov Cocktail kill frenzies. And I didn't give a drat, I just laughed every time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kill Frenzy Locations

Complications by Ohjaamo

Next up is a nice little song from the Chart station, a simple track to listen to and is a nice way to groove along as you drive around in fast cars. It's a pretty slow song that's easy to hear (but gently caress having to write lyrics by myself, it's boring) and there's really not much to say about it, as you can tell. Give it a listen anyway! But before you listen to it, the Top 5 (how the hell is THAT number one?)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 12, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I believe San Andreas was the first GTA game that allowed you to swim. Otherwise you just instantly drowned as soon as you went into very deep waters.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
I remember there being 3 glossy paper maps included with my Brother's copy of the game for the PS1, so yeah, it's always been a thing for the series. They too had the locations of payphones and spray shops and some other things too on them.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Dragonwagon posted:

Actually, there were two tanks on each level, iirc.

You might be right. I'm pretty sure at least one map had a tank-based mission, which would spawn its own tank aside from the Kill Frenzy tanks that were in place from the beginning. I don't recall there being two Kill Frenzy tanks on each map, but I could be wrong.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Does anyone remember the secret helicopter rumor for this game?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I love this game, I used to sneak out of bed and sit with a buddy and play this until the whee hours of the night just trying to beat the demo first, then the full game.

I remember our PC's at the time weren't powerful enough to run this full graphics mode, so we ran a lower-fidelity version which was a lot greyer in my memory. I kinda liked the aesthetics of that version better, quite honestly, fewer colors on cars and everything, but it looked more concrete than this does.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's one exploit of the cop AI in this city (and possibly Vice? Can't remember anymore) that I always found hilarious. If you get all four oinking cops after you, you can drive down to for example the highway in Sunview and climb onto those red pedestrian bridges over the highway. You can lure a couple of cops out of their cars and get them wandering around the highway under you. The game also keeps spawning cop cars cruising under you at the speed of sound. You can combine the two to make a cop go splat. I think you got a ridiculous amount of points for those kills too, since it was cop on cop.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Basically the train ride back in liberty made me sure I had played this in my youth, but also made me sure that I had never accomplished a drat thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Video is late because it got stuck on 95% processing and I had to reupload it!

Item Crate Locations (excluding additional Multipliers)

Days Like These by Reality Bubble

Even though I pick these randomly, it's another song from the Chart station, with Eddie Simmons (he's a champ!) and for the longest time I could not hear what the guy was saying. Waste my days? Haste my days? Baste my days? But I was completely wrong. Doesn't stop the song from being a groovy tune.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 12, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fix your link, please. Cannot wait for the Great Briefcase Hunt. I about died laughing when I got that mission for the first and only time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah bloody hell, it's fixed now, Briefcase Hunt and all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let It Out by The Hounds (Rock)

It's a rock song that starts a bit strange, but then turns into sex, as everything does, but is a sweet rear end jam to jam to. Let It Ahhh.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Loved GTA2, and played all through GTA: London, but never got around to this one! Kinda glad I skipped it too because it looks like a pain in the arse to play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh I dunno, this game is pretty enjoya- pretty enterta- kinda ni- ...somewhat playable with save states. Otherwise it's a large, difficult mess that controls badly and only sold well because of its reputation. And how open ended it could really be.

It'll probably be a long time before there's another GTA1 LP, if at all. I'm kinda surprised 2 hasn't be done yet, but there haven't been that many GTA games LPed. And ones that have were done about 6 years ago and on defunct video sites.

Guess I'll do every game, then.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread