Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Every game? Does that include Chinatown Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's not as crazy as me saying I'll do the GB and GBA ports (christ they're bad), so it's definitely an option and I like having many of those.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Crosspeice posted:

Oh I dunno, this game is pretty enjoya- pretty enterta- kinda ni- ...somewhat playable with save states. Otherwise it's a large, difficult mess that controls badly and only sold well because of its reputation. And how open ended it could really be.

It'll probably be a long time before there's another GTA1 LP, if at all. I'm kinda surprised 2 hasn't be done yet, but there haven't been that many GTA games LPed. And ones that have were done about 6 years ago and on defunct video sites.

Guess I'll do every game, then.
Everyone I know just dicked around in the GTA1 sandbox rather than trying to actually progress through the game, so the messy controls and difficulty were pretty much secondary to the game's success. After all it was the first of its kind.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Crosspeice posted:

Oh I dunno, this game is pretty enjoya- pretty enterta- kinda ni- ...somewhat playable with save states. Otherwise it's a large, difficult mess that controls badly and only sold well because of its reputation. And how open ended it could really be.

It'll probably be a long time before there's another GTA1 LP, if at all. I'm kinda surprised 2 hasn't be done yet, but there haven't been that many GTA games LPed. And ones that have were done about 6 years ago and on defunct video sites.

Guess I'll do every game, then.

Some guy got about halfway through a pretty decent GTA2 LP, but unfortunately he went off his meds or something and got banned for being a huge dick to everyone.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
GTA 2 was such a massive improvement! Save states! Not having to rely on sound to know how likely your car is to explode (it was a problem if you played file-d versions, which is what we did), actual health bar, gangs, atmosphere, oil slicks, ,and teeny tiny details, like grenades having a timer, unlike molotovs.

And it's a bloody cyberpunk game, how cool is that

However, it does have it's troubles, like no mouse aim, which complicates a lot of shootier missions, to the point where finishing Residential/Commercial, whichever is the Second City in 2 demands a tank.

Also, mad props on London 61. Back home, London 1969 was obscure, and 61 was basically a helicopter level legend.

Talking about helos, one guy in summer camp swore that you can spawn them if you get six or seven "heads" (wanted level). What a douche nozzle.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
A lot of enjoyment in sandbox games has always been, at least for me, just seeing when given even a little freedom the AI will gently caress itself up and do some really entertaining things. I think thats still happened a few times throughout even our recordings, so at least there's still poo poo like that to enjoy in GTA1.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

At 30:35, is that a tram line on the street? Does this game have trams?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it. They would've, like the trains in Liberty City, but it was cut for time.

Also, I was a bit unwell on Monday, so two updates tomorrow, woo!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

At 30:35, is that a tram line on the street? Does this game have trams?
There are trams in the game you can drive which are ridiculously strong and fast, but I'm not sure if they are actually available unless you place them yourself with a map editor.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kill Frenzy Locations

:frogsiren: MUSIC APPRECIATION STATION :frogsiren:

On The Move by Ghetto Fingers (Funk)

HEY BABY, it's time for a Funk song, a groovy tune that has very few words. But that doesn't make it awesome to listen to.

Since the other video still has 41 minutes until it's done exporting and a good six hours until it's done uploading, I'll put it up tomorrow. Later, bitches!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 19, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Item Crate Locations (excluding additional multipliers)

Grand Theft Auto Pause Music

Now this is an interesting one. It has no real name, or any specific artist. And it only plays when you pause the game with F6. I'm still glad it's there, since it's a pretty nice song with plot in the background. It's cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's up with the paint on those yakuza limos? Bird poop?

I think cars survive falls if they land on a slope. All cars will also, barely, survive a drop if they haven't been damaged at all.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Hahaha, finding out you didn't actually have to do anything to pass the level and get that 'reward' just about sums it up.

Loving the LP

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ride by Rotorman (Dance)

Now from the Dance track, we have something to really get you pumping in da club. Well, kinda. It's a nice song, but it's probably sandwiched between two others that are also nice. Not every song is memorable.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Poil posted:

What's up with the paint on those yakuza limos? Bird poop?

They're clearly dragons?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Since Deeds has contracted my illness from last week via Skype, there will be two videos on Wednesday. Backlog? What's that?

Junior G-man posted:

They're clearly dragons?

Y-Yes... it's very obvious. I completely knew that is what the design was.

Cassa posted:

Hahaha, finding out you didn't actually have to do anything to pass the level and get that 'reward' just about sums it up.

Loving the LP

I only found out since I was doing some research for cheats and bugs I could do for bonus videos. I could easily tag it on the end of the video.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well, seems the video is stuck at 94% processing. If it's not done in 30 minutes I'll just wait FOUR HOURS to upload it again.

gently caress this level.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh wow, by setting a time for a Scheduled upload, it actually worked.

Or it finished processing and I'm a dumb idiot.

ANYWAY.

Figiwhiz by Trancefer (Techno)

Now for one of the two songs in the Techno soundtrack. There's not much to it, there's some beats and it's pretty sweet, but there's no real structure to it, so technically it's a load of noise, but then, everything is, really.

Also, there would be a Kill Frenzy video, but it ended up being 24 minutes of boring that didn't matter since the game crashed when I did all of them. So we'll just skip it and move onto Level 6, which will have Kill Frenzies. Which won't crash.

As for why it crashed, completing all 15 Kill Frenzies causes a Multiplier Crate to spawn in North Vice Beach. This is the only time in the game this happens because of Kill Frenzies, so I just have to assume the game can't spawn it and crashes. There was probably a way to complete it and be fine, but doing the Frenzies takes about an hour to do and it's not very interesting.

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

As you can see, completing a Kill Frenzy doesn't automatically get you an extra life, like in San Andreas, you have to go to a crate that has the EXTRA LIFE BONUS. That's why it takes so long.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 26, 2015

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I had a pretty crummy day, but watching that made me feel a bit better, thanks for the update!

My vague childhood memories suggested I managed to get to the last area legitimately, but after seeing that trainwreck I'm beginning to doubt the reality of this memory. Alternatively, I kinda feel bad for child me!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Automatic Transmission by Meme Trader (Chart)

Next is a very techno inspired track from Head Radio (Music for your pleasure) and there's not much to say about a song with no vocals other than the tune is quite nice. Otherwise, the other two songs are better, but it's a nice change of pace, I suppose.

Benzoate by Retrograde (Techno)

And here's the other Techno track and it sounds, well techno. Pretty cool, but again, not much vocals. Also I'm not very sure on how to pronounce the title, but that's what them kids are into, I guess.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 28, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kill Frenzy Locations

This Life by Slumpussy (Hiphop)

Man, I forgot how good this song actually was, it's a sweet hiphop tune that dishes out some cruel realities on the world, or something, I don't really pay attention to the words, but the beat is fantastic.

E104 by Government Listening Post (Techno)

For whatever reason I either don't have this track in the song list, or couldn't find it. Anyway, a short track from the Techno station (I have no idea, could someone tell me?) and, well, just got for it

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2015

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
These kill frenzies seem poorly planned when you consider the levels your multiplier will easily hit after a few levels.

Also the whole tedious repetition thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's interesting, to begin with, I kept it low because the points were low, but now I have to do nearly two sets of missions before I can even think of doing them. And even then, the point total fluctuates wildly, from $5000 for a Tank to $270,000 for a Flamethrower.

And yeah, raw footage was 75 minutes. I cut a looooot out. It makes it bearable.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Item Crate Locations

Blow Your Console by CCC ft. Robert DeNegro (Hiphop)

Well this song has an interesting name, that's for sure, but it's a pretty good rap, going into the nitty gritty of the game you're playing.

Just Do It by Bleeding Stump (Rock)

And the final track on the Rock station proves that the genre is great. It's a bit different to the other two, but also affords high speed action as you tap along to the beat.

And we're done with the base game, but stick around, because we're going back in time. TO LONDON, BABY!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 1, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So you went into a bomb shop to meet a guy who gave you a briefcase and sent you off with the words that he wasn't going to see you for a long time. Yeah, that doesn't seem the slightest suspicious.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's it? What a crap ending.

Can't wait for London, I've only ever seen that game in reviews, don't think I ever saw it on shelves.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I too am looking forward to London. We used to have a copy of it for the PSX, but I think there was something wrong with it as it never worked at all, might have been a burned copy.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I faintly remember having London, I think it was a weird Addon disk kind of deal. You'd load the London disk up, then the game would tell you to eject the disk and put the original GTA in.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, let's... not go to London just yet, here's some screwing around.

Aori by Ashtar (Funk)

Been a while since we were funky, so here's two funky tracks, beginning with one of the non-vocal songs of the game. I don't know where they're placed, but it could be in the middle, maybe. I dunno, I like it. More than you could possibly imagine.

Pootang Shebang by Stylus Exodus (Funk)

And here's the track I keep putting in videos without noticing. Well, who can blame me? This song is great. Hey!

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I never want to play this game but I spoke over all of it. I'm sure someone enjoyed it.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I saw someone on twitch last night speed running GTA London by stealing a load of cars (basically they stole a traffic jam) and blowing them up together since the chain just makes the score keep going up. There is a limit since the cars have to be in your field of view.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kill Frenzy Locations

DSP by Animal Testing Centre (Dance)

So the last two songs of the base game just happen to be Dance tracks. And this one is, okay, I guess. I'm an uncultured youth for not being able to appreciate songs with no vocals.

Largerstar by Technophiliak (Dance)

And then we're gonna take you DOWWWWWNTOWWWWWWN. I have absolutely no idea what the hell they're saying, but it's still an enjoyable song anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it just me or does the map look a bit half assed compared to the other three? It looks kinda empty and not as full of details.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Poil posted:

Is it just me or does the map look a bit half assed compared to the other three? It looks kinda empty and not as full of details.

That's London for ya!

Item Crate Locations

London Station - Westminster Wireless

Now onto the London music proper, which has all new tracks for the era, so let's start with the first one. This will be different in that instead of single songs on stations, it's instead just one long station presided over by a DJ, so nearly all of the songs have very few vocals. To begin with, we have the theme song, which sets up the game perfectly, it's a great 60s vibe.

Next, is... eh. It's okay, but since I'm not too familiar with this music and haven't played London for a very long time, I don't have much of an attachment to these songs. It does definitely pick up by the end, so it has that going for it, but I'm not the biggest fan.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

London Station - Radio Penelope

Pray, perhaps pop peaks properly? Some classy tunes in this next station and it's alright, the first song has some nice instrument combinations, I like it, but it does go on for a while. Next up is Peter's Playlist, SHAZAM and it's okay. I prefer the previous one since the instruments in this song just don't flow as well, but it does improve towards the middle.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice of the the police to drive right over the guy you were chasing down. :allears:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kill Frenzy Locations

Item Crate Locations

London Station - Bush Sounds

It's BUSH SAAAANDS, we're back, yes? It's a station with some very classy tunes and I like it a lot, though I am a fan of them saxamaphones. Unless it's not a saxamaphone, because I have no idea what instruments are. The second song is okay, but it's got a tough time following on from the first one and sounds a bit too similar maybe, or perhaps that's just me.

London Station - Sounds of Soho

Tweet tweet a daaa, or something, it's the smooth sounds of Soho (note: Soho is not smooth in the slightest, never go there), but the song is really good. More saxamaphone, I guess. Again, the second song isn't that great since the first one was so good, but if you like wind instruments, then it's your thing, maybe? Words and poo poo, I 'unno.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 16, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

quote:

London Station - Bush Sounds

It's BUSH SAAAANDS, we're back, yes? It's a station with some very classy tunes and I like it a lot, though I am a fan of them saxamaphones. Unless it's not a saxamaphone, because I have no idea what instruments are. The second song is okay, but it's got a tough time following on from the first one and sounds a bit too similar maybe, or perhaps that's just me.

I believe this was the first GTA game to dip its toe into using real-world music; this is early reggae classic Return of Django by the Upsetters, followed by Dollar in the Teeth. (And yes, Dollar in the Teeth is far more enjoyable when not listened to immediately after the iconic Return of Django.) Also on the soundtrack (it's the song that plays when you get in one of those green vans) is the equally-iconic The Liquidator by the Harry J Allstars.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, I noticed they were using songs from actual artists when I got copyright notifications. :v:

It hasn't impacted the video in anyway, so I'll still be putting the songs in there. Kinda have to, since there's not too much music in the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bah, none of those boss cinematics can hold a candle to The Donkey.

• Locked thread