Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Kidney Stone posted:

1st. January 1999.

This cat, Diego, was killed by a couple of Amstaf's in 2004.

RIP Diego :(

(can't really contribute to this thread, since I keep my pictures on external harddrives, and there are too many to count, it's a mess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
why do you paint the case like a game cube?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Found these from 1998, these are my legit oldest images

Only thing from 1999

2000 is exclusively Everquest screenshots I took

Things start to pick up in 2001

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 28, 2015

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
Bum the SadBum the Sad, 1999 sure did suck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

the first image i saved off 4 chan from back in 2006

i remember cause it was a new computer and i had lost a lot of poo poo from a hard drive crashing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Well, that explains a lot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
All right. October 16, 1987. I think this is going to be the best I can do, as it is literally the only file from 1987 I seem to have at all.

As is the style of the time, of course I had to find a special viewer to even open the file to be able to then screenshot it and upload it to IMGur.

Pretty nice work though, my ANSIs were never this good even with the much better tools available by the 1990s.

I wonder if there is even any way to open all these stupid .PIC files from the late 1980s/early 1990s now? IrfanView cannot do it SO NOTHING CAN (I realize they are probably not "a file type" at all, but rather just "what the person who wrote the graphics encoder called them because that is short for 'picture'")

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rambling Robot posted:

Bum the SadBum the Sad, 1999 sure did suck.

It was a rough time in my life.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

From 2010.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
If I remember this correctly, it was my idea to sell kits that could convert typewriters into computers, possibly with mini projectors instead of monitors. I guess I figured that the keyboard accounted for a lot of a computer's complexity, and so there would be a decent savings in converting a typewriter (I was 9 or 10). Anyway it's in MSPAINT circa 1996, though honestly I think the file is older than that since I remember making it in Paint for Windows 3.1.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Giblet Plus! posted:

I was cool back then:
  • athlon xp @2.5 ghz
  • cathar white water block
  • 15k rpm scsi drive
  • abit NF7

What's up, watercooled-Athlon-in-a-NF-7 buddy.

We even had similar Antec knockoff full tower cases, though I must say yours came out looking a lot cleaner.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Giblet Plus! posted:

more old pictures of SICK CASEMODS from 2004

Nice. Needs more pics though, imho.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

disco volante posted:

If I remember this correctly, it was my idea to sell kits that could convert typewriters into computers, possibly with mini projectors instead of monitors. I guess I figured that the keyboard accounted for a lot of a computer's complexity, and so there would be a decent savings in converting a typewriter (I was 9 or 10). Anyway it's in MSPAINT circa 1996, though honestly I think the file is older than that since I remember making it in Paint for Windows 3.1.

This probably makes no sense even to a 9-year-old. Or maybe the random appearance of three monitors when there are only two keyboards is what is throwing me off.

Also what is with all you people? Is it really this common to just throw out your old computer when you get a new one or something? Or do you still have all your old systems in a basement somewhere and these are just your newest systems?

What I am trying to say is, are all of you 15 or do you just all not care about keeping your old files handy? Other than the 8088 I started on which is still in my parents' basement, I think I have files on my current desktop from every computer and every hard drive I have ever had.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

do you have the one where she looks ugly and which made her goon bf have a meltdown

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dec 27th, 1999.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Quarex posted:

This probably makes no sense even to a 9-year-old. Or maybe the random appearance of three monitors when there are only two keyboards is what is throwing me off.

Also what is with all you people? Is it really this common to just throw out your old computer when you get a new one or something? Or do you still have all your old systems in a basement somewhere and these are just your newest systems?

What I am trying to say is, are all of you 15 or do you just all not care about keeping your old files handy? Other than the 8088 I started on which is still in my parents' basement, I think I have files on my current desktop from every computer and every hard drive I have ever had.

they began during the dell era I guess, my computer's like an aging hollywood star, a lot of it is original but most of it is much younger

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Quarex posted:

I wonder if there is even any way to open all these stupid .PIC files from the late 1980s/early 1990s now? IrfanView cannot do it SO NOTHING CAN (I realize they are probably not "a file type" at all, but rather just "what the person who wrote the graphics encoder called them because that is short for 'picture'")

Look at the header with a hex editor, they might be ILBM files. Rename them to .iff then and find something that can load that amiga format.

The only computer I can reach from where I am has this

(this one was named "HEAT_OF_THE_NIGHT", I have no idea who that guy is)

They're not all the oldest ones but old.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 28, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kmlkmljkl posted:

From 2010.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Hogge Wild posted:

do you have the one where she looks ugly and which made her goon bf have a meltdown

Well I was going to swoop in and be the hero here, but I can't seem to find it anymore. She was wearing like a leopard print bikini drinking from a straw making a complete derp face.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
This was my desktop in 2001:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
mine is the windoze 3.2 logo

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gnarlyhotep posted:

mine is the windoze 3.2 logo
Well now instead of just casually posting I am briefly going to be convinced I have a virus and then realize the thread just moved

Anyway I was going to call you out on this because I assumed it was a joke, but then I discovered you just were totally using the Chinese version of 3.11

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Quarex posted:

Well now instead of just casually posting I am briefly going to be convinced I have a virus and then realize the thread just moved

Anyway I was going to call you out on this because I assumed it was a joke, but then I discovered you just were totally using the Chinese version of 3.11

bitcj O was using the windows before you were forn

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

6/12/97, oldest I could find.

pretty sure this one's older but I hosed up and didn't preserve timestamps when copying a bunch of stuff on 9/14/01
and yeah, it's a fractal generated in qbasic, left running overnight, fun.

if we're counting games and poo poo this could go pretty far back. 7/29/94 at least.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 1, 2015

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

spoon0042 posted:

6/12/97, oldest I could find.

hot drat x files era Gilian

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Quarex posted:

i dunno, i mean to transfer stuff off old computers when they get retired but normally get as far as taking the hard disk out and then never get round to doing anything with it. a few months later if i haven't needed those files i'm probably never going to look at them again - all the important stuff is backed up or on multiple computers anyway

this is the oldest picture on this laptop that i've had since mid january

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

with a date modified of 12/31/1999 this is the oldest image on my hard drive

enjoy

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hail

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sorry, it's of my penis

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
why is this here

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

High School GF.

Edit: Actually this one was scanned a little before.

High school me.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 1, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

funy computar

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

more old pictures of SICK CASEMODS from 2004

sick casemod...... so cool. loving ftw as hell

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh poo poo yeah, I had this as a background on a crt monitor in... 06 maybe

I used to be fat. I still am, but I used to be too

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

forbidden lesbian posted:

why is this here

becauise

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

forbidden lesbian posted:

why is this here

GBS field trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Zzulu posted:

oh jeez