Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

From 1972 to 1993, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I only listen to this guy

https://soundfromthestrangemachine.bandcamp.com

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I'll listen to almost anything Shakira puts out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Mambo number 5 on repeat all day and while i sleep

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

thathonkey posted:

Mambo number 5 on repeat all day and while i sleep

Song owns.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I listened to Mambo Number 5 so many times on my little stereo when I was 9 that my dad came into the room and said "Please stop son."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr:"A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr: "A little bit of Monica" :hurr:

--- The late 90s in a nutshell.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE EVERYONE IN THIS ROOM IS GONNA DIE.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

But what happened with the previous 4 mambos? Will the legendary Mambo #6 be revealed one day?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

im not trying to sound smug but i honestly have no idea how anybody over the age of 30 even comes into contact with pop music.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
*leaves house*

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

I kinda like All About That Bass

p sure 95% of hetero male goons would more than willingly drop a wad down her throat...it aint no secret that pudgy white gurls giving some of the primest dome on gods green earth

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

owns

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

opus111 posted:

im not trying to sound smug but i honestly have no idea how anybody over the age of 30 even comes into contact with pop music.

It's ok, you dont sound smug, just extremely sheltered

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
I'm not familiar with most top 40 artists, but every now and then I hear a song that is just catchy as hell, and I look up more music from those artists. Most of the time its not as good as the first single but that's part of discovering new music.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

thathonkey posted:

It's ok, you dont sound smug, just extremely sheltered

Seriously. Every office or workplace that allows music will be blaring Top 40 in some misguided notion that it's the least offensive option. Some will be stuck on Q104.3 or some other Baby Boomer fuckstick station. The "cool" places are going to be playing 80s/90s stuff. Any workplace that plays music from the 00s or later is either trying too hard to be hip or run by extremely rich young people like some lovely tech company.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i dont work in an office that allows music because i dont work in IT/advertising.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

itt: tubby pink IT goons in their 30s and 40s listening to music composed for tweens in a desperate attempt to be hip and making up for spending their entire teenage years listenign exclusively to sludge metal, final fantasy osts and weird al yankovitch

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

opus111 posted:

i dont work in an office that allows music because i dont work in IT/advertising.

Lol those are literally the only two types of work environments that allow for any form of music.

opus111 posted:

itt: tubby pink IT goons in their 30s and 40s listening to music composed for tweens in a desperate attempt to be hip and making up for spending their entire teenage years listenign exclusively to sludge metal, final fantasy osts and weird al yankovitch

This implies I ever stopped listening to those things

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

ok i dont work in a garage either?????????????? i dunno the whole world of tmz/pop music/celeb gossip or whatever is like 10000000000000000 light years from me and everyone i know apart from my young female cousins. ,lmao why are you guys coming into contact with it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

are you trying to attract 14 year old girls into your lairs.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
i play the harpsichord

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
ppl actually play music out loud in open office setups? i thought being wired-in ala 'the social network' was practically mandatory in such work environments, cause otherwise u would end up going insane after listening to nothing but clicking, typing, and gross an annoying poo poo like ppls tummys rumbling n banging their feet against the wall compulsively all day everyday

...and instead of hearing any talking all u would hear instead would be two sets of quick little bursts of typing coming from different sections of the room which was the tell tale sign of gchat collaborations going down

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 1, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Mariana Horchata posted:

ppl actually play music out loud in open office setups? i thought being wired-in ala 'the social network' was practically mandatory in such work environments, cause otherwise u would end up going insane after listening to nothing but clicking, typing, and gross an annoying poo poo like ppls tummys rumbling n banging their feet against the wall compulsively all day everyday

my friend works in advertising and they all take turns to choose music to play outloud. bascially all the mid 30s woman put on chart music from the 90s then all the men try to out-obscure each other. it sounds like the worst thing ever imo. hes always getting wound up by lovely music and ranting about it over google chat with me. sounds really productive.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
mad about music itt.

you don't have to work somewhere that plays pop music to hear it. just go to practically any store, chain restaurant, fast food place, grocery store, watch any commercial, go to sporting events, etc. etc. (maybe not top 40 specifically but it's a euphemism for pop music more or less)

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
Why do some idiot retards poo poo on pop music but think that mass produced pop poo poo of years passed like Nirvana, the clash, led zeppelin, etc.are really good? How much longer until n sync and Linkin park are redeemed?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Business Octopus posted:

Why do some idiot retards poo poo on pop music but think that mass produced pop poo poo of years passed like Nirvana, the clash, led zeppelin, etc.are really good? How much longer until n sync and Linkin park are redeemed?

some pop music is really catchy and melodic i just dont get how people come across it in their day to day lives after a certain age.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

n synch have already been redeemed anywy.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
i heard taylor swift in walmart the other day i am an enigma

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

opus111 posted:

Oh dear an old person who doesn't have children how sad try not to die alone

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

opus111 posted:

some pop music is really catchy and melodic i just dont get how people come across it in their day to day lives after a certain age.

I like pop music from Rihanna to Nirvana but I just don't get the good old days snobbery. Like if you're going to turn down your nose at current pop don't just listen to outdated pop and pretend that you're better than. Like at least metal loving Virgins have technical mastery of instruments as an argument for their superiority. What's the difference between the Beatles and Katy Perry, it's the same formula

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

nirvana is pop dumbass its grung

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isn't. gently caress

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
^^ grunge and alt rock are pop genres of the 90s hth

opus111 posted:

all pop music is catchy and melodic. it's literally purposefully designed to be pleasing to the ear and inoffensive to the widest range of people possible.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Business Octopus posted:

I like pop music from Rihanna to Nirvana but I just don't get the good old days snobbery. Like if you're going to turn down your nose at current pop don't just listen to outdated pop and pretend that you're better than. Like at least metal loving Virgins have technical mastery of instruments as an argument for their superiority. What's the difference between the Beatles and Katy Perry, it's the same formula

who is going on about the good old days. pop music when i was a teenager was pure whack. WHOOMP THERE IT IS!!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

^^ grunge and alt rock are pop genres of the 90s hth

all pop music is catchy and melodic. it's literally purposefully designed to be pleasing to the ear and inoffensive to the widest range of people possible.

and a lot of it fails completely cos its so boring. TO ME!!!!!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

opus111 posted:

ok i dont work in a garage either?????????????? i dunno the whole world of tmz/pop music/celeb gossip or whatever is like 10000000000000000 light years from me and everyone i know apart from my young female cousins. ,lmao why are you guys coming into contact with it.

Because even troglodyte goons spend time scanning the radio, going into retail stores, and generally interacting with the wider world. It's not a badge of honor to be so parochial.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

in my day there was dope poo poo like veruca salt and nirvana but now it's just stuff that sorta similar like yuck or broncho

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Because even troglodyte goons spend time scanning the radio, going into retail stores, and generally interacting with the wider world. It's not a badge of honor to be so parochial.

i don't listen to the radio ever, all the stores i go into play like chillwave hits of the mid 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

what hellish retail stores pump out chart music lol. wtf?

• Locked thread