Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I came across a really good tutorial on how to create pixel art from any image using Photoshop. So I thought why not start a giant SA pixel art collage. Sort of our own version of a quilt where everyone makes a piece. The tutorial is easy to follow and only takes a few minutes. You can find it here: http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-turn-any-photograph-into-pixel-art-with-photoshop

I will just post the instructions in the thread for anyone too lazy to click a link. All credit to the tutorial goes to Ashley Kemper who wrote it up.

Step 1
Select a base image. In this example, I'm using Shutterstock image 144352681. For best results, choose an image that has bright colors, distinct shapes, and a flat background. Because this effect purposely pixelates the image, anything with fine details or patterning won't turn out as well.

Step 2
The first thing we want to do is boost the saturation of our image to capture all its bright colors. Open the Hue/Saturation menu (Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation) and boost the saturation to at least 25, or until your colors start to pop.

Step 3
Next, we want to increase the contrast of our image. Navigate to Image > Adjustments > Levels. Pull the black-and-white input-level tabs inward until you start to see more definition in your photo. You can use the values shown above, or play with varying levels based on the image you're using.

Step 4
For a true pixelated look, we need to reduce the number of colors that are actually used in our image. To do so, go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color, and copy the settings shown above.

Step 5
With our colors set, we can start playing with our image size to create the effect of oversized pixels. First, open Image > Image Size, reduce the Pixel Dimensions to 75 pixels wide, and click OK.

Step 6
Because Photoshop is trying to maintain the image resolution, you'll see that your image has shrunk dramatically. To fix this, open the Image Size window again. This time, change the Pixel Dimensions setting from pixels to percent. We're going to stretch the picture back up to size by increasing the dimensions 1000 percent. Depending on the size of your original image, you may need to increase or reduce this amount. Always keep the percentage rounded to the nearest 100 and your photo will have the same effect.

When your image is blown back up to full size, you'll see that the fine lines of your photograph have been replaced with oversized pixels of color.

You can also play around with a few different elements to change the final product:

- In Step 4, try changing the number of colors used: more colors create a softer end result, while fewer colors create a more dramatic and abstract look.

- Increase or decrease the number of pixels in Step 5 to change the size of the pixels in the final product. Increasing this number will mean smaller blocks in the final result; decreasing this number makes for bigger blocks at the end.

Take note that each square is 200 pixels square each. This means when you take your original image make sure it is either cropped or perfectly sized to a square. You can do that by using the select tool and holding shift while you drag it. The original image can be in whatever resolution you want but I would say start with something around 1000x1000px. When you get to the step where you resize the image to be larger and back to it's original size, take it another step further and then use the Image Size tool again to set it to 200x200px. Because the original large image was pixelated in the larger resolution the scaling down should keep the pixel effect. Also, the border for each box is 1px inside each square. So when you put your art in it should cover the border. If there is empty space below or to the side of it it may still look like there is a border. But that's coming from the square next to yours.

You can make your section of our collage anything you want. A train, mocking another persons picture, Lowtax. Whatever you want. And if you are really good at art or want to use MSPaint and do pixel art by hand you are welcome to. Old NES games would be cool. If someone even decides to do something like a pixel art road you can even take their square and continue it and add things on. Do whatever. Just keep it pixel art.

So without making this OP any longer, here is the starter image.

The full resolution version can be found by right clicking and opening it in a new tab, or you can visit this link. http://i.imgur.com/ooQJq70.png

I started with a cool astronaut cause space is cool. When you are done, post your image with the timg code so it doesn't break the poo poo out of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Here you go op

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:regd13:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Pixel art this you monkey bitch:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Really thought this was going to be the next keyboard goop and really I'm quite ashamed of you op

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Demonachizer posted:

Pixel art this you monkey bitch:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
suck a big gay dick

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Now put the loving shovel in you retard.

This thread sucks and you suck. gently caress off GBS 1.0 human being.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
You should make a "post what is in your clipboard right now" thread next.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mods are asleep post small Bart.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Demonachizer posted:

Now put the loving shovel in you retard.

This thread sucks and you suck. gently caress off GBS 1.0 human being.

Chill. I didn't say I was responsible for putting your loving picture on the collage. You can do it yourself you are a big boy. But I went ahead and did it for you because you are a human being.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

Chill. I didn't say I was responsible for putting your loving picture on the collage. You can do it yourself you are a big boy. But I went ahead and did it for you because you are a human being.

Now beat someone with the shovel you maladjusted social reject.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
lame, do another goon tower

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pixel art is gay as gently caress.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I should feel burned small Bart got skipped but I redact that sentiment. WTF is this grid poo poo? The most autistic kind of goon base building.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

Pixel art is gay as gently caress.

Nah dude you can totally hang it on your wall of your dorm and people will know how cool and out there you are. Oh you like old video games too???

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
is it really pixel art if you are just pixelating an existing image?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Not seeing mine on there op

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OP you better be building the collage to wind up looking like goatse from afar.

:goatsecx:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
this is bad, now everyone knows how I do it.

:(

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
oh wait thats ascii art

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pixel art is created due to limitations of hardware or skill

that picture is not pixel art, op

this is:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Shut the gently caress up you don't tell me what to do dad!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

:agreed:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
GIMME THE MIC! GIMME THE FUCKIN MIC!

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

quakster posted: