Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for February, 2015?
This poll is closed.
Brock Lesnar (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 14 11.02%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 15 11.81%
:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) 20 15.75%
:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.79%
:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 34 26.77%
Rob Conway (FORMER NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 3 2.36%
:dukedog: Hiroyoshi Tenzan (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 4 3.15%
:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 10 7.87%
:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 2 1.57%
:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) 3 2.36%
:flaccid: I can't jerk off to vote for these options! (None of the Above) 21 16.54%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If you want to argue against the IWGP IC because it's not the #1 title in the company, fine, but there's a few big differences between it and the NXT title. The IC champ main events major shows, main eventers often compete for and hold the title, and no one would think it was a crazy upset if Nakamura beat Styles in the G1.

Could you ever imagine John Cena challenging for the NXT title? Do you think it would be remotely possible for Kevin Owens to be shown on the same level as Brock Lesnar if they had a match right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

who cares it's just a dumb message board poll

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

oatgan posted:

who cares it's just a dumb message board poll

me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

This has always been my thought as well but people brush it off because reasons I guess :shrug:

The IC title shouldn't be on there. With that in mind, there is a big difference between a belt that is portrayed as nearly on the same level as the IWGP title, that headlines major PPVs in front of thousands of people and the WWE's developmental title that they do not portray as on the same level as their world title. The WWE used to have two world titles and both were listed. Either way why is the TNA title listed? When the champion listed is not the champion and has not been the champion for other a month it is dumb to have them on this poll.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Either way why is the TNA title listed? When the champion listed is not the champion and has not been the champion for other a month it is dumb to have them on this poll.

Including the TNA title does actually bother me quite a bit based on the way they tape their programming (to be fair, Lucha Underground does a similar taping structure) but it is still a weekly aired wrestling show with a champion, watched by at least some people who post in these forums. It would feel a little unfair of me to just arbitrarily remove it.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I am looking forward to voting ROMAN REIGNS for PSP champ Mar2K15

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerusalem posted:

nxt is still a weekly aired wrestling show with a champion, watched by at least some people who post in these forums.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Including the TNA title does actually bother me quite a bit based on the way they tape their programming (to be fair, Lucha Underground does a similar taping structure) but it is still a weekly aired wrestling show with a champion, watched by at least some people who post in these forums. It would feel a little unfair of me to just arbitrarily remove it.

The solution would be to list the current champion.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thauros posted:

Could you ever imagine John Cena challenging for the NXT title? Do you think it would be remotely possible for Kevin Owens to be shown on the same level as Brock Lesnar if they had a match right now?

What do you guys consider NXT to be, A small promotion or just another WWE show?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

What do you guys consider NXT to be, A small promotion or just another WWE show?

It's WWE's minor league except with a bit less autonomy than a baseball minor league because it is owned by WWE as well. It is in no way it's own promotion.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

BigRed0427 posted:

It's no more a promotion than ECW was in 2006-07. It's WWE's developmental brand.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

It's WWE's minor league except with a bit less autonomy than a baseball minor league because it is owned by WWE as well. It is in no way it's own promotion.

This is true. That being said I do think one should take into account NXT separate and distinct branding despite it's level of exposure alongside the WWE branded products, as well as the unique status being on Hulu and (at least in term of intent) one of the main draws of the WWE Network. Obviously OVW would have never merited a spot on this poll, but I think NXT might.

It's not it's own promotion, but in many ways it's made to look like it's own promotion. I personally don't think having it as a voting option is unreasonable. If New Japan or ROH had developmental feds that had national exposure and a viewing audience that's probably bigger than Lucha Underground's or Dragon Gate's, I'd think their champion deserved a spot on the poll too.

That being said, I don't make the poll. I also wouldn't have even voted for the NXT Champion this month as I said. So it's whatever.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dragon Gate is the second biggest drawing fed in Japan and can sell out 7k seat venues for big shows. NXT has had trouble selling out house shows and runs their big shows in front of 400 people.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Thauros posted:

Dragon Gate is the second biggest drawing fed in Japan and can sell out 7k seat venues for big shows. NXT has had trouble selling out house shows and runs their big shows in front of 400 people.

Really? I always thought Noah was way bigger than Dragon Gate based on how people talked about it.

I need to watch more Japanese wrassling instead of just occasionally dipping into New Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Really? I always thought Noah was way bigger than Dragon Gate based on how people talked about it.

I need to watch more Japanese wrassling instead of just occasionally dipping into New Japan.

NOAH used to be #1 in Japan but fell really hard after the death of Misawa and living death state of Kobashi. They are way behind Dragon Gate and behind even DDT but a bit ahead of Wrestle-1 and All Japan.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

E: ^:argh:

Sanguinia posted:

Not anymore and hasn't been that way for quite a few years. DG and DDT have both eclipsed NOAH and AJPW.

Losing Kobashi to cancer + lack of new stars + losing their TV deal + Misawa's death really took its toll on NOAH.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 2, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Voted Hulk for obvious reasons. He has had the most impressive current Championship reign. Whereas Lesnar has had two excellent matches in his reign, Hulk has had five incredible defenses (sorry Kong!) and incredible match which he won the belt in July. I haven't watched him vs Uhaa yet, but according to the hype, he has set the high water mark for March.

Think NXT shouldn't be included for the same reasons as I said last month: it's developmental. Although WWECW is an interesting comparison, it was never designed as purely development whereas NXT is purely developmental.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I hope you all get your backs breakered

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

E: ^:argh:

Not anymore and hasn't been that way for quite a few years. DG and DDT have both eclipsed NOAH and AJPW.

Losing Kobashi to cancer + lack of new stars + losing their TV deal + Misawa's death really took its toll on NOAH.

Why isn't the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship on this poll? :colbert:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Endless Mike posted:

Not enough poll options to fit with the other belts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
BxB Hulk. Dude's been on fire this year, and like the OP says he's been one hell of a workhorse.

At this point I have NO idea who's going to beat him for the belt. He's going to have more keys hanging from his belt than a high school janitor.

Endless Mike posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the KO-D Openweight on there, but they'd have to put both Ibushi and Harashima on there for February.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was a good spread of votes this month, but in the end AJ Styles took it, even though Brock got 14 votes based on doing literally nothing in WWE all month long.

• Locked thread