Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did you know that "a Russian Dragonlance musical" is a thing that exists? Here it is, subtitled in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1nnNX_R-jM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

My group rotates our GM (and thus our game) monthly, so I'm out of the GM chair and a player again.

Last month I was running Changeling in the 1920s using A Dirty World (because why not right?), this month the GM is starting up a game of Adeptus Evangelion. I know absolutely nothing about Eva beyond it has giant robots fighting aliens (and that the ending was weird), so this should hopefully be an interesting experience at the very least.

Melusine fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 2, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Daphnaie posted:

My group rotates our GM (and thus our game) monthly, so I'm out of the GM chair and a player again.

Last month I was running Changeling in the 1920s using A Dirty World (because why not right?), this month the GM is starting up a game of Adeptus Evangelion. I know absolutely nothing about Eva beyond it has giant robots fighting aliens (and that the ending was weird), so this should hopefully be an interesting experience at the very least.

Evangelion is basically about dysfunctional teenagers (and adults!) and Judeo-Christian mysticism through the lens of anime, so basically Jesus is a giant alien robot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If your GM is going off the series most sessions will involve nothing happening.

If your GM is going off the movies lots of exciting fights will happen but the story will feel a bit disjointed and poorly explained.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
It could go a lot of ways. Is your GM more of a psychological drama person or a big fighting robots person? Because with Eva it can go either way, and in my experience people tend to latch onto one aspect or the other.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Pfftt.... Until you can seriously claim that you have drawn inspiration from Jimmy Buffett you have not reached the levels I have.

An episodic space opera thing I ran a few years ago had a two-parter story arc that I had titled in my notes as "Part 1: Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "Part 2: When da Volcano Blow"

A later episode with the same recurring criminal baddies was titled "Fins"

:parrot:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

everyone should play apocalypse world, thank you for listening

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Foo posted:

everyone should play apocalypse world, thank you for listening

a pro post and a good opinion

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes. Play Apoc World and Apoc World Engine based games. Especially non-Dungeon World ones. Not that DW is terrible, but there are so many other neat ones out there!

One day I'll get to play WWWRPG or Night Witches. :allears: Speaking of WWWRPG.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My group is fuckin loving World Wide Wrestling, what a great use of the Apocalypse Engine too.

Care to share any stories? What kind of characters are being played and whats going on?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Sorta curious how the stats work out in WWW, since I noticed that they're the lowest for any PbtA game I've seen. Everyone's going to be rocking a -2 or a couple of -1s, which means there are going to be a lot of failed rolls.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Sorta curious how the stats work out in WWW, since I noticed that they're the lowest for any PbtA game I've seen. Everyone's going to be rocking a -2 or a couple of -1s, which means there are going to be a lot of failed rolls.
WWW has "momentum", which you earn through moves and such. You spend momentum to add to your rolls and generally maintain control of a match. You start with a point or two of momentum, and you gain more mainly by doing things like cutting promos and working the crowd.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

PresidentBeard posted:

If your GM is going off the series most sessions will involve nothing happening.

If your GM is going off the movies lots of exciting fights will happen but the story will feel a bit disjointed and poorly explained.
And if your GM is like anyone I've ever seen run Adeptus Evangelion (including myself, in actual tabletop play, which I understand is just not done?), you should expect something more akin to Godzilla: Final Wars meets Pacific Rim.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

General Ironicus posted:

What new games are you going to try in March? How would you describe your chosen college football team in Fate? Fill in the blanks: "In like a ________, out like a _______".

I have no idea what games I'm going to try. Whatever looks good, I guess?

Also "in like *something I don't have*, out like *something I don't need or want*." You guys can go to war over your college games, I'll sit back and chill and laugh as a hundred little civil wars start up. :smug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

WWW has "momentum", which you earn through moves and such. You spend momentum to add to your rolls and generally maintain control of a match. You start with a point or two of momentum, and you gain more mainly by doing things like cutting promos and working the crowd.

That actually sounds really cool and clever based on the source material.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, another neat mechanic for avoiding failure (though not one you directly control) is that each match has an "Announcer". The announcer is a player whose wrestler isn't directly involved in the match. Its his job to elaborate on the descriptions the active players give of their wrestling spots and give a colorful commentary. In addition, once per match he can "Put Over" each player wrestler by describing what they're doing in the most excited "OH MY GAWD!" sort of way. This automatically upgrades the player's roll one level, from a botch to a partial hit, or a partial hit to a full success.

Its a really cool usage of PbtA and Momentum is a neat pseudo-version of "Hold".

Momentum can also be spent in certain other ways too, like Heel characters can spend 2 momentum to trigger the Heel move, which lets them gain heat with their opponent (WWWRPG's version of Hx), Win a match even if Creative booked otherwise, "leave someone laying helplessly on the floor" (backstage Chair shot!), or weasel out of a match.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 2, 2015

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I try not to plug this too often, but if you want an example of WWWRPG in play you can check out my podcast:
Character generation and some rules stuff: http://feats.podbean.com/e/world-wide-wrestling-rpg-part-0-filling-the-roster/
Part 1: http://feats.podbean.com/e/world-wide-wrestling-rpg-part-1-the-can-opener-vs-eve-young/
Part 2: http://feats.podbean.com/e/word-wide-wrestling-part-2-tommy-the-cat-vs-johnny-young-bots/

We also recorded a short chat about how Wrestling intersects with roleplaying in some interesting ways: http://feats.podbean.com/e/world-wide-wrestling-rpg-podchat-show-wrestling-rpgs/

The bottom of the game's webpage also has links to a 6-part campaign following the designer's own online Federation: http://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

We also recorded a short chat about how Wrestling intersects with roleplaying in some interesting ways: http://feats.podbean.com/e/world-wide-wrestling-rpg-podchat-show-wrestling-rpgs/

When are we going to get the "fall of WCW from an RPG perspective" discussion? :colbert:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

From the last thread:

quote:

Blue Rose is a Mercedes Lackey book in RPG form so anything by her will work if you want to read up on the genre, especially the stuff where everyone gets a magic white horse friend to ride around on. Romantic fantasy is just fantasy with a progressive/positive spin. So like it's magical medieval Europe but everyone is chill with gay people and women can be cool and active participants in society (in ways that defy our revisionist view of the middle ages as a giant rape-and-plague-a-thon).

This is something so rare that there is a mini sub-genre just for that? Man that is depressing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's a new Torg bundle up, with all the sourcebooks that weren't in the first one. I kinda don't like the idea of splitting up a game line like that, but I suppose it might drive higher sales from those whose interest was piqued by one of the bundles but missed the other.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

paradoxGentleman posted:

From the last thread:

This is something so rare that there is a mini sub-genre just for that? Man that is depressing.

One of the creators of D&D 5e had a personal vendetta against Blue Rose and wanted to see that exact sub-genre die completely and worked to kill the game.

Tabletop gaming!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

gnome7 posted:

My plans for March include getting a Fellowship playtest out and helping with Dies of March, a roleplaying charity stream coming March 13-15.

Psyched about both of these (and you should get me in on that Fellowship playtest)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

There's a new Torg bundle up, with all the sourcebooks that weren't in the first one. I kinda don't like the idea of splitting up a game line like that, but I suppose it might drive higher sales from those whose interest was piqued by one of the bundles but missed the other.

They admitted during the first bundle that they weren't including some of the cosm books because "they weren't very good". There were enough people asking for them for completeness' sake that they decided to do a second bundle later.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

Is the offer for people who missed it to get in on the Kickstarter still open? I sent an email to the address you listed a while back, but no response.

Which one did you email?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

One of the creators of D&D 5e had a personal vendetta against Blue Rose and wanted to see that exact sub-genre die completely and worked to kill the game.

Tabletop gaming!

As big an rear end in a top hat as the Pundit is, credeting him with being one of Next's creators is a serious stretch. He's a "consultant" or more likely a mascot. Next is a lovely game and Pundit is a lovely person but there's no need to ascribe him more importance than he deserves.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 3, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Every TORG book is a precious gift from our lord and savior

Well probably not Nippon Tech.

But those books are just so goofy and entertaining. Despite the system being hard to stomach even when new.

Cool card mechanics though.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

As big an rear end in a top hat as the Pundit is, credeting him with being one of Next's creators is a serious stretch. He's a "consultant" or more likely a mascot. Next is a lovely game and Pundit is a lovely person but there's no need to ascribe him more importance than he deserves.

Even if he didn't write the game, the attitudes and philosophies behind Fifth Edition were definitely enumerated and curated by RPGPundit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurui posted:

Even if he didn't write the game, the attitudes and philosophies behind Fifth Edition were definitely enumerated and curated by RPGPundit.

I think Mike Mearls would have been the same dumb rear end in a top hat with or without the Pundit, frankly. There's plenty to lay at his and his game's feet without him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The more I hear about D&D NEXT the more glad I am that I never tried it. I still have to check out 4th edition, in fact.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Bendigeidfran posted:

It could go a lot of ways. Is your GM more of a psychological drama person or a big fighting robots person? Because with Eva it can go either way, and in my experience people tend to latch onto one aspect or the other.

My GM pitched the game as spending half our time on character drama between the pilots and their lives as dysfunctional teenagers, and the other half on giant robot battles. So I guess he's aiming to cover both aspects.

AmiYumi posted:

And if your GM is like anyone I've ever seen run Adeptus Evangelion (including myself, in actual tabletop play, which I understand is just not done?), you should expect something more akin to Godzilla: Final Wars meets Pacific Rim.

I'm pretty sure I could cope with a game like that.

Would you mind elaborating on the bit about actual tabletop play though? The game is going to be in person, so is there something we should watch out for? Or did you mean it's just a bit maths heavy?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's depressing to hear the garbage-eaters win the edition war. All of the untrue, stupid crap that Pathfinder mouthbreathers were vomiting out in 2011 about 4e is now mainstream "wisdom". This just popped up on a podcast that I listened to and it makes me realize that the people on this forum are a huge anomaly, that 90% of people have an extremely limited breadth of experience with their hobby and like it that way, they have zero ability to analyze anything and just want to engage the same paradigms over and over again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's depressing to hear the garbage-eaters win the edition war. All of the untrue, stupid crap that Pathfinder mouthbreathers were vomiting out in 2011 about 4e is now mainstream "wisdom". This just popped up on a podcast that I listened to and it makes me realize that the people on this forum are a huge anomaly, that 90% of people have an extremely limited breadth of experience with their hobby and like it that way, they have zero ability to analyze anything and just want to engage the same paradigms over and over again.

I don't know anybody that was even willing to give 4e a shot other than my friends little brother. He played it at Origins with pregen characters and hated it. That was all it took for everyone else to go "yeah 4e is stupid Josh said so." Josh is one of those players whose character is made from a dozen splat books and dragon magazine articles and who makes every campaign the Josh Show, of course he wasn't going to enjoy his experience with it.

But no that was all it took and 4e has forever been lovely.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Len posted:

I don't know anybody that was even willing to give 4e a shot other than my friends little brother. He played it at Origins with pregen characters and hated it. That was all it took for everyone else to go "yeah 4e is stupid Josh said so." Josh is one of those players whose character is made from a dozen splat books and dragon magazine articles and who makes every campaign the Josh Show, of course he wasn't going to enjoy his experience with it.

But no that was all it took and 4e has forever been lovely.

Man, you just described two of my players and a huge part of why I'll never DM 3whatever or Pathfinder again.

We're switching to FFG's Star Wars game, and surprisingly, the guy who refers to 4th ed as "Fischer-Price D&D" is the most excited about it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just be careful, FFG Star Wars is a cool system, but it looks like something a munchkin could easily break over his knee.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just be careful, FFG Star Wars is a cool system, but it looks like something a munchkin could easily break over his knee.

I think the bigger issue is that while it's a clever system it doesn't feel especially Star Warsy to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Seems fine to me. :shrug:

[edit] Oh hey, anyone who has WWWRPG but missed the kickstarter or whatever, the author just put up the five Season 1 gimmicks (The Giant, The Gatekeeper, The Provocateur, The Clown, and The Athlete) on his website as free/pay-what-you-want.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 3, 2015

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Ettin posted:

Which one did you email?
The InverseWorldGames Gmail account. If I can still get in, I'll paypal you ASAP. LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY, BRO.

Daphnaie posted:

Would you mind elaborating on the bit about actual tabletop play though? The game is going to be in person, so is there something we should watch out for? Or did you mean it's just a bit maths heavy?
Well, the game was designed by and for dudes on 4chan who play online with virtual tabletop programs, and even the dude(s) responsible reacted to my running an IRL game with "what". I ended up having to print out most of the charts for reference during play, bought a grid mat and a set of the Eva Kubricks that came out around that time which we kitbashed the hell out of (and added other stuff that happened to work, like a tiny revolver from a Vash the Stampede fig that happened to be the right size), and still had to have two of my four players bring laptops for reference whenever they got XP or other points to spend...which was like every session, because AdEva is written to be "Boss Rush: The TRPG".

That said? It was fun as hell while it lasted (I've run it twice, and both times the group I was running it for fell apart permanently due to OOC drama :(). You should be able to tell if your group is going to be fun by how the ST handles char-gen; I gave my players a lot of freedom to interpret their Eva generation rolls, and ended up with one player taking his kludged-together failed prototypes Eva that happened to roll the Mexican flag as a color scheme to the logical conclusion of "I'm piloting two different Evas duct-taped together", and another deciding his top-of-the-line experimental model Eva (that was partially funded by outside sources) was the pride and joy of the PRC, and had loudspeakers blaring old-school propagandist music whenever they sortied.

Went all-out with making original enemies to fight, too; the group(s) ended up fighting a giant vomiting sandworm, a teleporting moai head that set things it looked at on fire, and an infectious amoeboid blob (from what I remember off the top of my head).

Best parts of the game were the pilot's attempts to have a "normal" life, though. I remember the Manufactured kid permanently crippling his very first fan-boy when he rolled multiple exploding dice after shoving him out of the way, and the duct-tape Eva's pilot giving up national secrets in exchange for Vienna Beef hot dogs, because no one told him they were secrets.

...drat, now I want to try and run this again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FFG Star Wars is actually pretty bad. It suffers from wanting to try to do fail forward/fiction first while also being mechanics-heavy (which doesn't work), the core of its mechanical system is Dark Heresy (which completely clashes with the fail forward/fiction first thing it says it wants to try for, and also doesn't work for Star Wars), the custom dice don't add anything other than making it a pain to arbitrate results as a GM, and they're so swingy that you can expect starting PCs to gently caress up more than they succeed on "average" difficulty checks.

It's basically a tedious, poorly-thought-out Dark Heresy hack which doesn't fit the pulpy space adventures feel of the supposed source material.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

The more I hear about D&D NEXT the more glad I am that I never tried it. I still have to check out 4th edition, in fact.

4th edition's biggest failing, as far as I can tell, is that it was colorful and clear. This meant it was a baby toy for babies. Plenty of the actual mechanics aren't actually far off from what all the grogs said they wanted, and in fact many of them complain about differences that don't even actually exist. They wouldn't even mind the carefully refined balance of the math in the game if only the wizard powers were just, I don't know, described as doing the exact same things but with forty times the word count.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AmiYumi posted:

The InverseWorldGames Gmail account. If I can still get in, I'll paypal you ASAP. LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY, BRO.

I don't think I have ever checked that email account in my life, I only made it to make a second paypal to keep backer money separate from my personal money. If you forward the money to that paypal with a message telling us what backer tier you want, we'll get you sorted as soon as there is material to send out. Which should be sometime this month or next, at the rate we've been going, so we should be on time with the core book release.

I'll be honest, I actually forgot we set up a late backer system, so I'm sorta glad for the reminder. Gotta make sure those people get their rewards too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One of my favorite complaints I heard about 4e was that the monsters horde rules were garbage. The guy despised them because "a horde of ogres shouldn't be easy to fight!" and refused to just not use those stats and actually have the players fight a bunch of ogres each using the regular ogre stats.

The same guy had a game of 3.5 where his players became incredibly rich because after they killed the bandits that had been preventing caravans from reaching a town they took the months worth of supplies and sold them at list price. Dude was okay with it because that's the rules as written.

• Locked thread