Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Splicer posted:

My new job just wrecked my usual RPG schedule, but I'll hopefully be playing Some Fallout Thing and running the occasional Danger Patrol.

Also in the last thread I misread a request and accidentally offered to implement a Subset sum problem in javascript. This may have been a mistake.

LOL last month a friend asked me: I have a deck of cards. 2 are worth 10 points, 10 are worth 3, 20 are worth 1. What's the average value if I draw 2 cards from a full deck?

And I was like oh yeah super easy to build in Excel. Don't even need vba...

hubris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FMguru posted:

4.375 points

38.31% chance you get 2 points
40.32% chance you get 4 points
9.07% chance you get 6 points
8.06% chance you get 11 points
4.03% chance you get 13 points
0.20% chance you get 20 points

Mind running through the math?

I ended up estimating it with a markov chain but it occurs to me I may have been over thinking it. I was calculating it in a way that recalculated the total population each draw, but the exact order of draws doesn't matter if it's just "draw 3 at once." Whoops.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Splicer posted:

2 points = (20/32) * (19/31)
4 points = (10/32) * (20/31) + (20/32) * (10/31)
6 points = (10/32) * (9/31)
11 points = (20/32) * (2/31) + (2/32) * (20/31)
13 points = (10/32) * (2/31) + (2/32) * (10/31)
20 points = (2/32) * (1/31)

Thanks, yeah I was definitely over thinking it. At the same time, the actual request was something like "what's the distribution if I draw 4 cards? or 5? or 6?" and while the underlying math remains the same, I think I prefer the "iterate 100,000 tests" method to more quickly play with the number and value of cards.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Can we all at least agree that the Apocalypse popcorn recipe is an embarrassment?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

AmiYumi posted:

Does anyone have a link to the "draft" version that got sent out despite the Goon hivemind begging otherwise? I remember it being a cringe-inducing trashpile of in-jokes.

I completely missed this part of the process. I'd love a link too.

I threw out some ideas very early (divide the dungeon into biomes iirc) and like a year later got a book in the mail and was like wow! this is a really cool dungeon! oh my god, I completely forgot we collectively bought this!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That was my workplace's christmas party.

How does rolling for anal circumference translate to a LARP? Are some characters just out of your reach? Is it like a stretch goal for victory points for the end of the night? Or do you just put a little post it note on your rear end cheek that says "3d2 / 2 inches"?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

dwarf74 posted:

To whichever goon or goons recommended Rat Queens.... Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I know someone who regularly plays in a Rat Queens-inspired Dungeon World game and I am insanely jealous of her.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Covok posted:

No...No...gently caress...No...God drat it...That's just hosed up, man.

Hell I gave the roll equation just up thread.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zurui posted:

I always suspected that Cards Against Humanity was a metajoke, like the play-within-a-play in Hamlet. "Let's make the most offensive game and see who laughs!"

I feel like I've told this story before but maybe I haven't and it's worth telling to any who may doubt the value of CAH.

I was playing the game with a non profit, egalitarian warm fuzzy leadership committee and one of the executive staff said "pass me another friend of the family card."

That is the value of Cards Against Humanity. A poo poo beacon to illuminate poo poo souls.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah I know but I wanted to have a game more geared into that like having the party delve into a huge dungeon not for treasure but for an ancient bottle of motherbitching Sriracha sauce whose recipe is lost to the eons.

Vast & Starlit has an interesting mechanic for cooperatively creating alien races, if you don't want to go down the path of creating 100 pages of crafting tables.

Hacking it for fantasy food might go something like this:

Step 1: a player selects a food everyone knows
Step 2: next player selects an aspect of that food (taste, smell, texture, preparation, etc)
Step 3: next player twists that aspect (exaggerate, diminish, or reverse)

Repeat steps 2 and 3 two or three more times, going around the table

Next player creates a coherent whole out of only the twisted aspects. The dish will need a name. Select a primary ingredient based on one of the twisted aspects.

Finally, any player can call for a calibration if the ideas are too goofy, etc for the tone of the table. When that happens, a 3rd player offers ideas to tone things down until everyone's content.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding.

This is a huge issue.

As a point of reference, I'm GMing a 4 day UN Security Council simulation of the events of 2003, as an educational experience for the participants. I will have historical maps, a comprehensive timeline of events as they happened, a list of potential crises, several preplanned briefings, published topic guides for the participants several months ahead of time, etc.

By the time we actually go live my partner and I will have been prepping for about 9 months.

All this and the expectation is that the simulation absolutely will not be historically accurate (though it should still be historically plausible). And I know I'm still going to gently caress up some element of the simulation. And as much as the students are prepping too, they're going to mess up details as well.

Striving for accuracy and education in geopolitical games can be... a lot of work.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Man I wish I saved some of those Wayne Gretzky pictures.

Guy had a fantastic dice bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Covok posted:

While we are the subject of gaming peripherals, is this worth it?

Imagine a DM with 4 secret dry erase panels on the edge of a cliff

• Locked thread