Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ironicus, you're a cool dude and all but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to knock some points off for not going with the clear and obvious winning thread title of "Modron March Madness," sorry.

As far as games go, Tenra Bansho Zero seems like a pretty interesting game but I blank every time I think to myself "okay, but what would I actually want to play?" I continue to regret that I haven't yet had a chance to play Inverse World or Last Stand and hope to amend that someday soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mark Rein "Q*Bert" Hagen.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

One of the creators of D&D 5e had a personal vendetta against Blue Rose and wanted to see that exact sub-genre die completely and worked to kill the game.

Tabletop gaming!

As big an rear end in a top hat as the Pundit is, credeting him with being one of Next's creators is a serious stretch. He's a "consultant" or more likely a mascot. Next is a lovely game and Pundit is a lovely person but there's no need to ascribe him more importance than he deserves.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 3, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurui posted:

Even if he didn't write the game, the attitudes and philosophies behind Fifth Edition were definitely enumerated and curated by RPGPundit.

I think Mike Mearls would have been the same dumb rear end in a top hat with or without the Pundit, frankly. There's plenty to lay at his and his game's feet without him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just be careful, FFG Star Wars is a cool system, but it looks like something a munchkin could easily break over his knee.

I think the bigger issue is that while it's a clever system it doesn't feel especially Star Warsy to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Outside of combat in 4E anyone can voluntarily spend any number of their own Healing Surges to restore their lost hit points with the benefit of a Short Rest, about five minutes of uninterrupted downtime. There are class abilities and powers that can make this recuperation more effective, but for the most part if you're looking to recover HP outside of combat and aren't being harried by traps or something then you don't need a Cleric going around and tapping people on the head with Cure Light Wounds.

So without knowing more about the incident in question the GM isn't wrong per se but saying "it doesn't work that way" misses WHY it doesn't work that way, and your friend sounds like an overreactionary dipshit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
He almost certainly was, sorry. Gnome's right, a whole lot of people have a hate-on for 4E for really irrational reasons and your friend sounds like one of'em. "Try to explain the rules of this game to ME!? gently caress this, I'm out!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Has he? I could have sworn someone was talking about how he was dogging on it too, presumably for not being 3E enough and the passing nod towards inclusivity in the chargen section.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game where the core system was just adequate and the game didn't get amazing until supplements came out. Are there games like that?

(GURPS maybe?)

I would say that playing 4E with just the core PHB would get kind of dull pretty quick, and for the brief period when it was just the corebook it was a little dull. There was some good stuff there already, and the foundations for a lot of stuff were already in place, but a lot of the fun options that people dig like Brawler Fighters and purely "Lazy Warlords" and Bards and Avengers and so on didn't get introduced until supplemental material started coming out. Oh, and the Monster Manual 3 and Monster Vault fixed a lot of the early issues with monster design. And the setting stuff (Astral Sea and Feywild and Underdark et al) was all generally decent to top notch. And Eberron and Dark Sun were both pretty pro choices.

4E's supplement treadmill wasn't perfect by any stretch...the Adventurer's Vault books were pretty loving dull, the published adventures didn't start approaching decent until near the end...but a lot of the player side stuff was honestly pretty good and managed to avoid introducing things that were game-breakingly bad. The PHB3 was where they started running out of steam, the classes besides the Monk weren't super inspired and power points are a bad fit with how 4E typically handles class abilities, and Essentials was a clear step down because (surprise surprise) that was Mike Mearls taking the wheel...but even then they managed to put out some decent stuff near the end with Heroes of the Feywild and such.

So I would absolutely characterize 4E as an adequate game that truly came into its own thanks to further supplemental material expanding upon and enhancing what was already there. With the good stuff came feat bloat and, to a smaller degree, power bloat and that sucks and is one reason among many why it's a shame we won't ever get a 4.5E or a new edition that improves upon 4E's design instead of throwing it out with the bathwater.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

beep boop im a robot that cant have fun unless it fits the parameters of my autism spectrum please help

Well that came out of nowhere.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

In Fate the grappling rules are "you roll to create advantage, if you succeed you put a "Grappled" aspect on the target."

I just want to point out that Dresden Files: the RPG included grappling rules that were just as fiddly and dumb as any I've ever seen in a non-Fate RPG. I discovered this the first time I made a character using super-strength with it and wanted to know what the procedure was for grabbing and chucking someone and it turns out it's kind of a dumb pain in the rear end actually, at least going by that iteration.

Glorified Scrivener posted:

But of since course every single campaign ever in any system using Vancian spell casting has relied on a compact between the DM and Players to maliciously subvert that spirit of that action economy, I guess its a moot point. I swear, y'all are so bitter that sometimes I just want to get a Gurps hit location chart and ask y'all where the mean adversarial Dungeon Master touched you...

So I guess when you said you were going to stop making GBS threads up the Next thread your plan was just to bring it to the chat thread instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I didn't even think it was that controversial that AD&D2E was the Bad For Thieves edition, even fans of 2E pretty much agree that playing a straight-class Thief is a sucker's game in that one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've always wanted to try Iron Heroes to get around the whole issue of dealing with Wizards/magic-users in D&D (and the RPPR campaign made it sound fun as all hell), but not only is it 3.5-based*, it's also written by one Mike Mearls.

* particularly, good monster/encounter creation in d20 games seems to be rather difficult and never fast

Iron Heroes is one of those games that sound great on paper but the execution is all over the place. It's full of amazing ideas and some stuff that if you squint looked similar to some stuff that would later, through the game of telephone, wind up in 4E. That said it's also got all kinda of balance and mechanical wonkiness and at the end of the day it's still based on 3.X d20. Like, I won't say it's poo poo because it's not poo poo, not by a long shot. For the time it came out it was rather ambitious and at least paid some lip service to a lot of cool ideas...and I think with like two or three more revisions it could have been something genuinely excellent instead of just okay.

It's also kind of mind-boggling to read through Iron Heroes and then read through D&D Next with its tepid martial classes, it's like night and day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

Iron heros really needed a second edition

This is the straight-up truth. I know that some other person had plans to release like a revised edition with some errata incorporated into it and I can't remember if that ever came together or not, but the fact that Iron Heroes never went on to get super polished and tightened and generally improved because there's so much potential there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
FantasyCraft is a really good game but it's dense and fiddly as gently caress. Like, people say that 4E is "high crunch" but it really, really isn't. 4E is a simpler game than Magic: the Gathering, the essential components of character creation are pretty simple to parse (each power is self-contained, explains what it does using codified keywords, you only ever get at most like one or two a level if that), and combat is fairly simple in practice (Move, Minor, Standard actions, one of each, you can trade down, roll d20 plus mod to hit, deal damage, effects, done).

4E's fiddliness comes from a combination of A). feats being completely insufferable to slog through and B). lots of combat modifiers stacking up. FantasyCraft's fiddliness comes from a whole bunch of stuff that's woven throughout the game and requires a great deal more page-flipping to come to terms with and successfully integrate. Character generation has, in my experience, a steeper learning curve and to the best of my knowledge there's no nice, convenient character builder to let you just go "okay I'll take this, this, and this, done." It's a game that I appreciate for what it is, but I doubt I'm ever really going to get into it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not only feats, magic items are a pain in the rear end to browse as well. Maybe even worse. And rituals. And also powers if you're trying to make a wizard post-Essentials.

Magic items I'll grant you, rituals I never felt were really on the same level as either of those two. Powers can generate analysis paralysis I suppose, but at the same time 4E is very receptive to "oh this one looks cool, I'll pick this" without then clubbing you over the head three sessions later shouting "YOU DUMB rear end in a top hat, YOU hosed UP!" Like yeah, there's charop, but you can get by without caring about it and still not be dead weight.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

like, literally?

did they just unceremoniously dump it on them once or twice or were there entire plotlines centered around giving each party member THEIR CHANCE to swim through a scrooge mcduckian pile of gold doubloons or w/e

Straight from Mike Mornard aka Old Geezer, a guy whose (constant) claim to internet elfgame fame is "I used to game with Gary Gygax back when he had this hip new thing called Dungeons & Dragons" this was a thing people literally did. Oh, a new hire? Welcome to the party! Here, hold this sack full of 3,000 gold pieces for a minute. Oh, that ding sound? That's just you leveling up, gratz.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quarex posted:

Thanks for introducing me to Rythlondar, Jigokuman (and seconding the recommendation, ProfessorCirno). This is pretty entertaining stuff. It really also helps explain almost entirely the encounter design as seen in the earliest CRPGs.

To be fair, not that this is any more impressive likely to the average person here, but he actually played in Gygax's AND Arneson's original campaigns. And Googling him just now apparently he also played in M.A.R. Barker's original campaign, but that is kind of like randomly placing a $10 bill on top of a funnel cake. I mean, all of these things are great, but you kind of want them in their own contexts.

Actually reading what he did I kind of think he has squandered an opportunity (assuming he is still alive) to write an actual big hunk of text about all three and combine it with reminiscing about The Old Days. But I suppose his credentials do not necessitate any degree of writing talent.

Oh, he's still alive and still, to the best of my knowledge, acting like a cranky old man pastiche on RPGnet. And you're in luck because I believe he did Kickstart a book though I don't know if it's out yet and can't speak to its quality if so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ego Trip posted:

:(

I hate this hobby.

Reading the G+ post it doesn't really look like this is a case of "the hobby drove me out" so much as she decided that her mental energy and effort would be better directed elsewhere. There may be some subtext that I'm missing and I certainly don't doubt that she's probably had some poo poo slung her way, but in this particular case it doesn't seem like that was the inciting factor here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
An ironic reversal of fortune in which Plutonis takes flak for a post that is actually good.

Realtalk, this:

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I didn't like Monsterhearts much but Avery is a good person considering their alternative way of payment and I wish success on whatever they want to do now.

is a good post, please post more like this.

For what it's worth this is more or less my sentiment. I don't think I'm ever going to be a big Monsterhearts fan not because I think it's a bad game but because it's just Not My Thing, but I recognize that what it does it does very well and the fact that a bunch of people seem to dig the hell out of it goes to show that there was an untapped niche for exactly this sort of game and I'm glad someone came along to fill it with something that wasn't "roll 1d20 to remove panties." Also Avery sounds like a cool person who's decided that there's other stuff they'd like to do with their time that would make them happier so while it's a shame she's leaving gaming this sounds like a pretty decent reason to do so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, that's 90% of PbP regardless of system.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever been in a PbP game that didn't just fade.

This is basically my experience with RPGs in general which is why I don't mind the turnover of PbPs, because it's not like my actual face-to-face gaming has been any more consistent or long-lived. What's that, GM? The game you were so hype about running that you wrote up like 20 pages of handouts for all of us is ending after two sessions because you decided you don't like the system after all? Okay. That D&D game where we spend a whole Saturday doing collaborative worldbuilding is ending after a single session because you just aren't feeling it? Sure. At least the superhero game went...ten sessions? And we had some Werewolf games that went a half dozen sessions each. Traveller only lasted about three or four sessions but they were fairly memorable.

And so on and so forth. I dunno, maybe everyone else who sits down at the gaming table is enjoying sprawling, ongoing epic campaigns that last forever and ever but I'm always confused when people talk about how PbP games have some mayfly life expectancy like that's something unique to the format.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

I've been gaming with one of my groups since I was still in Undergrad 7 years ago, and we've run multiple long-term campaigns to conclusion. I suppose when that's my normal experience, PBP just seems too slow and death-prone to be especially interesting, especially as I'm used to writing longer plots.

And one of my PbPs, not here but elsewhere, is coming up on its 5 year anniversary in April.

Like, okay, it sounds like you have (I would assume) a game group where you're all enthusiastic about it and you all work off each other well? That's the key to PbP gaming. You app to games that interest you and don't get too concerned if they fold and eventually you find a good game with a good group and things chug along. If that sounds a lot like "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" well, that's a good summary of my elfgaming experiences in a nutshell. You can't go into a PbP thinking "oh man, I can't wait for this to go on for years and reach a satisfying conclusion!," you just have to be thinking "this seems like it'll be fun for however long it goes."

Let's see, what are the PbPs I've been in here, discounting ones that basically died on impact:

1). Shadowrun: The Startup run by childrenoverboard, an SR4 game that took us to the island nation of Lagu-Lagu to be runners on retainer for a telecom startup. Actually lasted a full calendar year before childrenoverboard bowed out due to illness and burnout. In the course of the game we rescued hostages, set fire to a mall to act as a distraction while we broke into a corporate building next door, liberated a Yeti, boarded a prison transport, emancipated the shipboard AI, killed a big spirit monster with naval artillery, hosed with Ares a whole bunch, and nearly devolved into infighting several times. The game ended mid-firefight in a slum with a bunch of Ares men-in-black as we were about to use a watcher spirit to kite a nest of feral ghouls into their command post.

2). D&D4E: Heroes in the Making by Hashtag Yoloswag, a game about adventurers adventuring. Featuring the triumphant (second time) appearance of Bryn of Tanna, maybe one of my favorite characters to play. We killed a bunch of kobold cultists and also a dragon, and bickered with each other a whole lot. Game ended as we set out into the wider world.

3). Atomic Robo: Tesladyne and the Chariots of the Gods by TurninTrix, an Atomic Robo game actually in the Atomic Robo setting, madness. Investigating totally a UFO crash in the middle of India, fighting science cultists with robot arms and taking the world's most daring selfies. Ended due to GM burnout.

4). Only War: Sisters of the Sacred Sword by Night10194, one of the aforementioned games he dropped after deciding it wasn't for him. An all Sisters of Battle game where a bunch of angry nuns with guns descend upon a world deadlocked in a grinding, ongoing war to get things moving, without notifying sector command that they're planning to do so. We blew a bunch of things up and cooked a good meal.

5). [FATE/Cthulhu] NyarlathoTech Plus - Transeldritch by Ettin, cyberpunk anime action adventure in the neon drenched streets of future Miami. We killed six billion ninjas and crashed a flying island, then killed Hitler on top of an arcology. This one isn't officially dead per se but it kind of lost momentum after an abrupt scene change to Seattle and also street racing I guess? Oh and Ettin has a little Kickstarter project taking up a lot of his free time (understandably). Lasted for a while though, over a year at least.

6). Black Crusade: Outcasts of the Screaming Vortex by frajaq, a bunch of Chaos dudes get punked then wake up on Waterworld hungry for revenge and also skulls. Still ongoing! Frajaq is a rad GM when he doesn't try to run three or four games at once and he seems to have struck a sensible balance here. We just kicked a bunch of daemon rear end and got off of Furia, the aforementioned waterworld, and are now in the Ragged Helix looking for our Pirate Princess' former ship so we can get this party started for real. I'm pretty sure we're about to be ambushed by Dark Eldar.

7). Only War: Slam Sector by DOWN JACKET FETISH, a game where we all play terrible, tiny, hosed-up mutants and ruin everything for everybody all the time. Still ongoing!

And like probably a dozen besides this that ended too quickly for me to bother keeping bookmarked or anything.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

So what's the deal with Atomic Robo? I've heard a bit about it lately from RPPR and here.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's basically the newest version of FATE with a light layering of pulp action scifi on it. It apparently worked out a lot of kinks from FATE core, but I'm not up to date on the exact details.

Fate Core left me dry because it's pretty dry in and of itself while Atomic Robo incorporates a number of tweaks and hacks that were relegated to "optional" status before, provides a pretty decent set of guidelines for super/weird-powered characters that's a lot more streamlined than something like Dresden Files, and is a pretty user-friendly book in general complete with illustrated examples of "this is how a thing works" using panels taken from the Atomic Robo comics. Things Atomic Robo does that I like:

1). Ditches the Fate skill pyramid for Modes, a setup where you choose three "packages" of skills (the default four provided are Action, Banter, Intrigue, and Science, though you can make others) and mash them together, tweaking and adjusting things as they combine. The end result is, in my opinion, better than the pyramid where you generally struggle to prioritize the top rows while scratching your head over which five +1 skills you want that you'll virtually never end up rolling.

1.5). And to go along with this they consolidate the skill list further, so that's nice.

2). Stunts don't cost refresh anymore. Everybody gets five fate points and five stunts by default. You can take more stunts than that if you want, but each stunt over the initial five will give the GM extra fate points of his own to spend on bolstering the opposition, adding complications, and generally raising the overall challenge rating of things.

3). Stunt creation guidelines for what the game calls "mega-stunts" which are things like super-strength, being bulletproof, having signature gadgets or powers, etc. are handy, not very cumbersome, and something Fate Core was kind of lacking. It also gives guidelines for creating "weird skills" which is a much handier and less bodged-together way of handling things like "I can cast magic" than previous Fate efforts at doing so.

4). Lots of NPC writerups, a good source for mining stunts, aspects, and modes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
KOTOR being based on d20 was great because you'd get into combat and watch your lightsaber-wielding Jedi have to repeatedly chop someone down like a tree with your lightsaber, a weapon canonically known for being extremely difficult to kill anyone with as everyone is well aware.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If the idea of "I'm worried that this game is going to go nowhere and resolve unsatisfactorily" is keeping you from playing then it's possible you're in the wrong hobby. I have never, not once, had a game either face-to-face or online resolve with any sort of narrative finality or even on a solid cliffhanger. Games that achieve a satisfactory conclusion in this hobby are in a stark minority compared to games that peter out and quietly die.

I mean, if all those "What is roleplaying?" sections in RPG books were halfway honest this is a thing they'd be telling new players. "All those dreams you have of epic stories that come to a triumphant close after years of regular play, you better temper that poo poo." Going into roleplaying with an attitude of "I'm gonna try and have fun with this for as long as it goes" is, I've found, a lot more satisfying than getting bummed every time a game fizzles out because a lot more games are going to fizzle out before you find one that goes somewhere.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well without trying to play armchair internet psychoanalyst it sounds like your difficulties aren't related to gaming per se.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

Honestly that is what your gamemaster is responsible for.

Ehhhhhhhh.

I can't really agree with this. Roleplaying is a collaborative thing first of all, it's not one person's responsibility to ensure the game slides into home plate with every loose end all tied off in a pretty bow. Furthermore, the vast majority of RPGs out there present to players and GMs the notion that roleplaying means sitting down to play the same campaign over and over and over and over and over again week after week until ??????????? Presumably until you hit max level if you're playing D&D I guess but for most other games there's really not a lot of discussion about bringing things to a satisfying narrative conclusion or whatever.

And even assuming that you and your group are super tight and work great together and all, playing out a "typical" RPG campaign takes a long loving time. Even if you meet every week like clockwork there's a good chance that, if you go by the book, you're looking at like a year of playing the same game over and over again, maybe more. Yes, there are games that are designed for shorter, more self-contained arcs, but those are the exception and not the rule.

On top of this, "narrative" is kind of a dirty word in a lot of elfgaming circles. An RPG isn't meant to drive towards a narrative conclusion, it's an endless Choose Your Own Adventure where you blaze a trail of dungeons and monsters and wacky hijinks until you get bored and retire I guess. If a narrative grows out of that or around that then great! But it's entirely left as an exercise to the players what the hell to actually do with it most of the time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not even a sandbox thing necessarily. A lot of GMs start with a premise for a game that directs the players towards an immediate short-term goal...the King is looking for adventurers to go and rescue his daughter from kobolds, the Galactic Survey Corps wants you to go explore the planet Zokfar, the Prince of Poughkeepsie is holding a vampire ball and intrigue is afoot, etc...but then once that's done they didn't really have any sort of long-term plan in mind, so things often become "uh, okay, hang on and lemme think." If he's lucky then the players have bit at a plot hook or two and will trundle along in that direction, otherwise a lot of the time the GM comes up short-handed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're willing to sit down and run crunchy, rule-heavy games at the tabletop there really isn't that much appreciable difference in doing it via PbP. You've already committed yourself to playing AD&D2E or FantasyCraft or HERO or whatever, doing it over a computer doesn't magically make it ten times more demanding. All that hard work? You'd be doing that poo poo anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

It does. Take WH40KRP: In person, the fact that people are going to miss shots relatively often stretches combat out an extra 20-30 minutes. In PbP it could conceivably do it an extra 3 weeks. One of these is way more likely to cause strain than the other.

"Stuff takes longer" is gamingonline.txt. Like, sorry, but if you aren't willing to accept that then the problem really isn't crunchy games, the problem is that you don't want to play by post. And that's fine, not everything's for everybody, but "oh no I might have to make a few more internet posts" isn't really what I would consider strain.

Speaking only for myself, I would rather deal with a drawn out combat where I can make an internet post moving things incrementally forward and then turn my attention towards something else than be stuck at a tabletop waiting around for poo poo to get finished and realizing that Jesus, this combat has taken two hours already.

sentrygun posted:

If you don't like trimming down apps just find some people you already want to play with or, barring that, just take the first X people who post. Apps kind of suck when you're in a spot to hear the people who didn't get into a game complain about it, but it does let you just pick and choose from players and concepts you'd like for the game.

Or when people go completely off the rails you get to realize you did a horrible job setting the tone of the game in the OP. Like me.

Speaking as someone who's apped for more games than I've gotten to play, if you don't get chosen for a game you're excited about don't go around bitching about it, goddamn. Yes, it sucks sometimes, but that's the way it is. Don't be a jerk, be cool and save your ideas for later. There'll be other games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sure, different strokes etc. My point is that I don't think crunchy systems are inherently any worse for PbP than others. I mean, there's a difference between "crunchy" games and "badly designed games that are also crunchy" too. I wouldn't be especially interested in playing, say, Exalted via PbP but I'm not tremendously interested in playing Exalted face to face or over Skype either, so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

sentrygun posted:

Eh, I just mean like the collective 'baw i didn't get picked' in an irc channel after a recruit ends or something. Like you feel bad because aw man I'd like to grab all the people I'd like along for the ride especially if all of them app in, but six people is already a stupidly huge game nonetheless like ten+. People actually going apeshit is weird but also has happened in hilarious fashions.

I mean, it's okay to go "aw shucks" I guess but still, you oughta know going into a game that you aren't guaranteed to get in, it sucks, it happens. You deal with it and move on.

Likewise, GMs shouldn't feel too bad about having to pick which apps to take because, y'know, them's the breaks. Sure, it'd be nice to make everyone happy but since that's not really feasible you've gotta go with what what you think is going to make for the most enjoyable game. Better that than RPGnet's PbP scene which is a GM posting "I'd like to run a game, maybe? I dunno what it's about though" and then like three people post vague affirmations of interest with no real suggestions for what to do and no character apps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A question that came up tonight after the game (Last Stand, for the record): are there signs of anybody playing 5e? I don't even know anybody that owns the books in person. Is Pathfinder pretty much just kicking its rear end, or what?

All I can report on is anecdotes. At my local game store the only D&D I've heard anyone talk about in detail is Pathfinder and the store hosts regular Pathfinder Society games. They have some Next books on the shelves but I've never been around when anyone's been talking about it, so if anyone's playing it I have no idea but I've yet to stumble upon anyone discussing it in whatever sense.

That said it's a new D&D, the answer to "is anyone playing it" is "of course they are." How much, how many, etc. is a thing we'll never have numbers for.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mike Mearls has positioned D&D Next to appeal to people who are tired of 3.X, hate 4E, and refuse to play anything that isn't called Dungeons & Dragons. Pretty much anybody outside that Venn diagram has more appealing options.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there any agreement on what storygame means, exactly? I hear it from time to time and I know Pundit hates them, but that only tells me that they are not D&D.

No, you've pretty much got it. Storygame = whatever I want it to when I want it to. It's largely a meaningless term.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am absolutely looking forward to the day that Paizo causes their own fanbase to splinter in a recreation of the 3E/4E edition war more than I probably should.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PresidentBeard posted:

This will not happen.

I am somehow doubtful that Paizo has found the magic elfgame formula that will allow them to completely avoid the same slow but inexorable decline in sales that pretty much every other RPG publisher experiences over time which necessitates some sort of new edition or similar big release to get things moving again every so often.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Wasn't there also supposed to be a Numenera game by the old Planescape: Torment crew that everyone was super hype for? Whatever happened to that?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you want a game where wizards are in danger of blowing themselves up the go-to answer is some version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dark Heresy is neither fantasy nor from the 80s/90s, nor does it have locational crit tables. :v:

Well it has the latter in the sense that each hit location has its own separate critical hit table. It doesn't have "you got a crit so you shoot them in the *roll roll* spleen."

• Locked thread