Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I used to like Exalted a lot, then I started getting wise to the creepier aspects of it. As soon as I discovered Legends of the Wulin had all the things I wanted in Exalted without the skeevy poo poo I never looked back. Exalted still has some cool ideas that I like, but 2E was a mechanical mess and I really doubt 3E is gonna fix it enough for me to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

I like mechanically simple games like the *Worlds but since I inevitably end up running it I get bored pretty quick because I usually don't get to interact with the game side of things very often. Too bad it is apparently my fate until I die, since my players are the laziest people on Earth and somehow unlearn FAE every week, let alone trying to get them to learn something like Wulin or Feng Shui 2.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Recettear: The RPG? Looks interesting. And congratulations Ewen on publishing it.

Retail Magic sparks a thought about Rifts. Playing a game as an amoral shopkeeper in the dimensional Bazaar on Splugorth's Atlantis or Naruni weapons dealers that travel the post-Rifts US trying to sell to Tolkeen, the Federation of Magic, and the various Coalition powers would be an interesting game. Sort of Lord of War meets the insanity of Rifts for the latter idea.

It's much more Clerks than Recettear. The focus of the game is dealing with wacky situations in an item shop, rather than on actually selling stuff. There's no real mechanics for the store profitting or anything, inventory is more background dressing than actual stuff, and making tough sales is for the boss to give you bonus points instead of making a buck. It's still a pretty fun game and really easy to play, but if you're looking for tabletop Recettear, this isn't exactly it. Maybe when the complete version is out.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

AFAIK they're still happening, gonna be the last thing Mikan does before leaving the industry in the dust.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

WotG's setting was partially based on the Hong Kong comic of the same name, and most of the art in the book is from the comic, but the majority of the setting information and mechanics were made up without taking the comic into consideration. I got to talk to Brad Elliott about it a few years ago and he said the comic license was more or less to attach a name to their game, but the idea of a wuxia game started before they thought to contact Tony Wong. Also, the first draft of the rules was by Greg Stolze!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

When System Mastery did their episode recently about licensed games, they mentioned that the issue with a lot of licenses is that in some settings, the protagonists of that license are so powerful or influential that trying to play any other character ends up as a bit of a farce. Dragonlance really always had that issue for me, though it skips the need for a license to get there. It was mainly a world crafted for fiction instead of a game setting and inherits a lot of the weaknesses thereof. That isn't to say it doesn't have interesting ideas (having a D&D world actually be dragon-themed, tinker gnomes, uh, sailor minotaurs?), ultimately I think the target audience for it is "people who read the novels at 14 and don't ever get over them".

The target audience for a lot of gaming stuff is people who haven't got over stuff from when they were 14.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Side-based initiative. All monsters go, then all PCs go, loop. The tricksy part being that all the players get to choose every turn who goes first or second or whatever based on what the group needs.

This is how Meikyuu Kingdom works, and it's not really a problem there because the monsters tend to actually be designed, rather than just feels-right numbers thrown around. It's also a game where making a new character actually does only take 10-15 minutes and even if you start over at level 1, the next dungeon's difficulty drops so the rest of the party can carry you while you catch up.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

I love the Choose Your Power picture at the top of this page so much.

Be the hero you want to be! Choose from amazing powers like Wizard, Gun, Alien Invasion, or Bird!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Covok posted:

How bad is Tri-Stat Sailor Moon, out of curiosity?

It's BESM 2e with less stuff because it came between BESM1 and 2.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

BESM in a general is a kinda bad but simple do-anything system with some incredibly ridiculous loopholes and rocket-tag combat. The biggest broke thing comes from the mecha rules, which Sailor Moon doesn't have, but Sailor Moon still has rocket-tag combat because the guy who wrote it never actually used his own combat rules until David Pulver sat him down and forced him to.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Covok posted:

Wait, wait, wait, sat him down and forced him to? Is there a story for this?

I forget the details but there was some RPGnet post a few years back. One of the main guys behind BESM, Mark MacKinnon, more or less didn't give a toss about rules. BESM1 was pretty much just the three basic stats and you just worked out what your special abilities were with the GM. The combat rules were really basic but it didn't matter because so was everything else. Between BESM1 and 2, David Pulver got involved and they made a more detailed version for the Sailor Moon game, which added more detailed combat, codified special abilities, etc. Later games added more stuff, like Dominion Tank Police adding mecha and skills separate from powers, Tenchi Muyo added some new powers and spaceship stuff, etc. All that new stuff got compiled into BESM2, but the thing is that MacKinnon still just wanted to do freeformish stuff and didn't bother actual balancing the more complex combat rules in Sailor Moon, and the new stuff in each new game just threw more on the tire fire. Eventually Pulver got kind of fed up and sat him down to play a combat session with his own rules. It probably went about how every BESM combat goes (everyone dodges for a loving hour and then someone dies in one hit) and I guess that's around the time they decided to make BESM3 , which was better in a lot of ways but still pretty bad and easy to break on accident.

I played a lot of BESM2 in high school, mostly because it was pretty simple and because my friend refused to learn anything else, but it's always been pretty busted.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

The thing about Mihoshi's stats is that in BESM, Own A Big Mecha is one of the best powers. The way it works is that you spend character points on it, and get four times as many character points to spend on powers for your mecha. The thing is, "mecha" apparently means anything from spaceship to giant robot to form-fitting power armor to whatever else you could drive/wear that gives you extra things to do. For example, Cold Skin Dark Hearts or whatever the "horror" supplement was called used the mecha power for the mummy's magic wraps and give the mummy a boatload of extra powers. Dumping every point you have into Mecha and then never taking it off is some entry-level powergaming but it's one of the most obvious things. Mihoshi sinking points into the mecha power is actually really smart, it's just that having it in the form of an actual spaceship is a giant waste.

Mecha is also the gateway to literally infinite character points due to how the Voltron-like option worked.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

David Pulver went on to make Mutants and Masterminds, a game that shares a lot of ideas with BESM but was executed way better from the start, even with its d20 system handicap. I think he also made Icons? I know he also wrote some GURPS books. Dude is just all about the universal systems.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

gently caress me, you're right. Pulver did write a bunch of GURPS books including Transhuman Space and co-authored GURPS 4e, though.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Meikyuu Kingdom has a Cook subclass that lets you make food out of monsters you kill and temporarily give a party member one of that monster's powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Don't ever imply that the DBZ RPG is a bright spot for anything, that poo poo's unplayable.

• Locked thread