Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

I saw this picture and it reminded me of all the times our MA asked me to be the duty meat gazer and that was before I saw you were quoting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

PneumonicBook posted:

They matter at chiefs boards. Those marks are usually moved around depending on where you fall ranking wise. For instance, I had to lower someone's eo block to get them a higher leadership score but maintaing the trait average.

pure bull, what happened to evaluations actually evaluating sailors instead of bsing it to fit some narrative the drat khakis make up. :chiefsay:

Arione fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 20, 2015

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Apparently they used to do that, and everyone just got a 4. That is unless you had someone who rated you based on the actual instruction and then screwed you by not giving you a 4. So it's either gently caress over some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time. But don't mind me, I've got a pretty big "gently caress you I've got mine" attitude going right now. But it's actually because I got to home from my shift to watch all the people coming in in their dress blues in the snow/rain. Now I am on my couch, chillin' out while it's pouring rain outside, and not giving any fucks because it's Friday (and also the equinox).

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sir Lucius posted:

I've got a pretty big "gently caress you I've got mine" attitude going right now.

Sir Lucius posted:

Apparently they used to do that, and everyone just got a 4.

You mean people got promoted almost entirely based of their rate exam and actual job knowledge instead of sucking a whole bag of these? blasphemy

Arione fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 20, 2015

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Hey, some of those exam questions are on military bearing which I know gently caress all about. And please don't accuse me of being a chief, that's hurtful.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Arione posted:

You mean people got promoted almost entirely based of their rate exam and actual job knowledge instead of sucking a whole bag of these? blasphemy

I bet your division couldn't function without you,right?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

vulturesrow posted:

guess we're about to find out. I check out in a few months. . . till then.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Arione posted:

guess we're about to find out. I check out in a few months. . . till then.

You're whining about the eval process is tired ground. If you don't want to play the game get out of the navy and experience a somewhat less institutionalised version of the same thing. At no point has the navy or even American society ever been close to a meritocracy.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
There is so much junior sailor angst in here it's loving hilarious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm learning a ton!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm learning a ton!

I don't normally worry about the older guys we get going through A school because they are either lazy fuckups that are exactly the same as junior guys, or are super motivated because they joined late in life.

I was looking up some reserve things the other day, you can't use US MAPS, but you CAN use Navy COOL. If you joined for IT training to transfer civilian side then you should take a look at it. The Navy will pay for you to take certification tests, the only penalty for failing is the Navy won't pay for you to retest.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

Apparently they used to do that, and everyone just got a 4. That is unless you had someone who rated you based on the actual instruction and then screwed you by not giving you a 4.

It was pretty much this. If an E-5 or E-6 did not get all 4.0 on every eval they had nearly zero chance of picking up rank.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't normally worry about the older guys we get going through A school because they are either lazy fuckups that are exactly the same as junior guys, or are super motivated because they joined late in life.

I was looking up some reserve things the other day, you can't use US MAPS, but you CAN use Navy COOL. If you joined for IT training to transfer civilian side then you should take a look at it. The Navy will pay for you to take certification tests, the only penalty for failing is the Navy won't pay for you to retest.

Can confirm Navy COOL is the coolest thing ever and if you don't use it while you say you plan to have a career that requires a certification, you're an idiot. So many of these corpsmen with their butts hurt about their evals spout on about "I'll challenge the LVN test and be a nurse and then Chief will HAVE to salute me hahahaha!" just get out and pay up the rear end for LVN licenses when they could have gotten it for free.

You send up your chit, figure out your exam dates, study for the exams you need to take, turn it in (hell in some cases you get the exam sent to you and it's and easy A), get your cert and be prepared to move on.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

It was pretty much this. If an E-5 or E-6 did not get all 4.0 on every eval they had nearly zero chance of picking up rank.

Thank goodness I don't want this kind of responsibility.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

PneumonicBook posted:

Better than SWO chat.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Vriess posted:

Better than SWO chat.

Yes absolutely.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Yes.... I've heard about the paying for certs but nothing official. I'll take a look this COOL thing I've never heard of tonight. Still no official contact with Reserves. I understand someday they will get in contact with me.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes.... I've heard about the paying for certs but nothing official. I'll take a look this COOL thing I've never heard of tonight. Still no official contact with Reserves. I understand someday they will get in contact with me.

alternatively, they'll never get in contact with you

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

alternatively, they'll never get in contact with you

You give me hope.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PneumonicBook posted:

Yes absolutely.

Hey guys I got selected for pilot. I mean I guess that's alright? Not really what I want to do tho....

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

In that case be a female corpsman. Ours on USS Oneofmyships was charging for late night medical visits.

Did she get busted, or is this just something that the females aboard ship "know"?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

But it's actually because I got to home from my shift to watch all the people coming in in their dress blues in the snow/rain.

That'd be me broheim. Nothing better on a snowy day than walking around in 600 bucks worth of uniform.

vulturesrow posted:

I love the eye-rolling I get when I try to explain to junior folks that we are all BY DESIGN expendable. Could literally take a bullet in the head tomorrow or get hit by a bus and somebody else would be there to take the reins. The same can be said up and down the ranks, including GO/FOs as far as I'm concerned. Somewhere there is a terminal 3-star waiting for that 4-star to croak so he can tack 1 more on by technicality.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 21, 2015

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

I love the eye-rolling I get when I try to explain to junior folks that we are all BY DESIGN expendable. Could literally take a bullet in the head tomorrow or get hit by a bus and somebody else would be there to take the reins. The same can be said up and down the ranks, including GO/FOs as far as I'm concerned. Somewhere there is a terminal 3-star waiting for that 4-star to croak so he can tack 1 more on by technicality.

I think a lot of it is when you're a junior sailor you only really see things at the junior sailor level. A common thing I saw (and participated in) was when we'd get a new LPO and we'd all be pissed that instead of changing the bullshit they would defend the bullshit. Like normally there's a big picture reason for the policies set in place and the how and why of things that you don't really get exposed to unless you're at that level.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hey guys I got selected for pilot. I mean I guess that's alright? Not really what I want to do tho....

I remember that, forgot who said it though.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
It's something you literally just aren't exposed to at more junior ranks. Even on the "O" side, a lot of the disgruntled JOs you find out there are disgruntled because they don't understand "why" things are the way they are...simply because they've never had that exposure.

After a couple years in, you've sat in the right meetings (hopefully), seen how decisions are made at very senior levels, and are generally privy to the "so what" behind the rationale of how decisions are made and it changes your perspective on things significantly.

There are definitely good reasons (contextually-speaking) for how decisions are made in the military that at the time are sound and sensible, but hindsight is always 20/20. Sometimes you get it right (in hindsight) and sometimes you bomb.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

buttplug posted:

Did she get busted, or is this just something that the females aboard ship "know"?

Both. We knew, and she was lending out the key for other trysts. She lent the key one night to a BM3, supposedly for a date night. Turns out BM3 had been dating HMC and just wanted to wreck his stuff. That was a fun deployment. She was a fat homely girl, too. (HM3. BM3 was loving hot. She's married to an SO1 now.)

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

PneumonicBook posted:

I think a lot of it is when you're a junior sailor you only really see things at the junior sailor level

multiple UICs at command UIC A geta 6 P's, UIC B gets 2 EP's 1MP 2 P's, all sailors are in the same division performing the same watches, only thing different is after the OIC the real OIC's are 2 different o4's. female gave flat P's male gave actual pma's

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

(HM3. BM3 was loving hot. She's married to an SO1 now.)

Hot-hot or boat hot? :smug:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Arione posted:

multiple UICs at command UIC A geta 6 P's, UIC B gets 2 EP's 1MP 2 P's, all sailors are in the same division performing the same watches, only thing different is after the OIC the real OIC's are 2 different o4's. female gave flat P's male gave actual pma's

You're really being a baby about this. I've never seen a sailor get anything but a P on an initial frocked eval.Sound like your OIC is the one that did it right. Also why is your OIC's gender relevant?

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
I got an MP on my E4 frock eval.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
lol at both sides here

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Evals in civilian jobs are dumb too. The difference is that your eval is rarely used for anything beyond taking space on a HR managers hard drive.

I've heard that some big companies are looking to do away with annual Evals completely due to the needless amount of extra work they create.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Evals in civilian jobs are dumb too.

mine doesn't have any effect on promotion potential and can't be used in future hiring decisions, so yep.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

Evals in civilian jobs are dumb too. The difference is that your eval is rarely used for anything beyond taking space on a HR managers hard drive.

I've heard that some big companies are looking to do away with annual Evals completely due to the needless amount of extra work they create.

Yup. I got a perfect "ten" on a eval at my old company but got passed for a ten year younger Marine reservist with barely a year in the company and a so-so review. The branch manager (marine reservist officer) told me he wanted to go in a different direction with his management team.

Evals mean poo poo. Be sure to blow your management team and add a rimjob if you know what's good for you.

Nothing's different in the real world you guys. I showed them though. I joined the Navy!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bengy81 posted:

The ones in my office are great

Boss comes in "Thanks for not being a drain on everyone and doing your job correctly. Here's a raise and a high five, please continue not being a gently caress up. Do you have any questions?"

Seriously, thats what has happened at every single one

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We didn't have any accidents with our trucks and managed to not lose any money in transit for a six month so we got bagels for breakfast and an atta boy one day but the food came after the morning crews left for the day so our version of POGS ate it all and we got stale food nine hours after.

I'm assuming the navy is similar but without the food or atta boys.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Doctor Sex Butts posted:

I got an MP on my E4 frock eval.

Congrats

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LingcodKilla posted:

We didn't have any accidents with our trucks and managed to not lose any money in transit for a six month so we got bagels for breakfast and an atta boy one day but the food came after the morning crews left for the day so our version of POGS ate it all and we got stale food nine hours after.

That was an accomplishment? :stare:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Flikken posted:

That was an accomplishment? :stare:

in the same sense that the dui counter hitting 180 is, sure

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

krispykremessuck posted:

in the same sense that the dui counter hitting 180 is, sure

I work in the same industry as he did, different company, and in my 6 years I have only seen 4 accidents and 1 lost piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

I work in the same industry as he did, different company, and in my 6 years I have only seen 4 accidents and 1 lost piece.

During my last year we had at least three accidents (one major), two marines shoot off their pistols (one in the cab disabling his truck)(other into a locker), I found a sealed bag missing 2k, another dude got fired for losing a bag of coins worth $30 and a newish employee got caught stealing cash from an ATM the month after I left.

In seven years I've been in one major accident and 3 minors but I've only gotten assaulted(which is pretty drat rare) once and never lost anything.

• Locked thread