Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME PLAYOFF RACE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No.

Like everything else on the ice, Kari Lehtonen let our chances slip by him.:smith:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Doug Wilson is a loving madman and needs to be fired now, not this summer.

He's absolutely lost it. The Kings were his white whale and that playoff collapse broke him.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Pat Clements posted:

Doug Wilson is a loving madman and needs to be fired now, not this summer.

He's absolutely lost it. The Kings were his white whale and that playoff collapse broke him.

Instead, we are going to lose TMac, who's way better than anyone available or who will become available in the forseeable future.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Red Wings own, Habs suck, Lightning are p cool but and they are good ant not taking advantage of the extra games they've played so that the Wings can catch them thanx bros

I mentioned it a ways back and I doubt anyone really noticed or remembered, but I've been working with the Islanders in Game Ops this season; even though I want them to lose all the time because every Islanders fan I've ever met, with the exception of two or three, are total and compete morons, I'm really going to miss the YES! chant when they get bounced in late April/early May :(

hockey owns and is the best

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Boy, it sure would be a shame if Alexei Emelin did something to make his shoulder injury worse....

e: Who wants to hear a story?

So I have a cousin that played major junior in the 80s. He played first couple of years were in Moose Jaw with the Warriors, and got to play with the likes of Theo Fleury, Mike Keane, Lyle Odelein, and Kelly Buchberger. My folks ran a hotel in a town 45 minutes south of Moose Jaw and would go see him play a lot at the ol' Crushed Can. If you want to know why it's called that, the reason is it looks like this.

Anyway, my old man played for the Humboldt Broncos back in his heyday and even had a tryout with the Islanders at one time that didn't go anywhere. The long and short is he knew how to navigate a locker room, and they ran a bar. They got in good with at least a few of the players to say the least.

Fast forward to 1990, and my mom is running a golf tournament, likely at the closest not lovely golf course in Avonlea; I'm just spitballing here. She manages to get Buchberger, Keane, and their goalie during their time at the Warriors, Darryl Gilmour to swing by. Buchberger had just won the Stanley Cup, so imagine a bunch of small town yokels freaking the hell out at the sight of him, another NHLer (who'd win the cup in 3 years time) and a guy who they probably thought would be gunning for Hextall's job. Connections are a hell of a thing.

At the time, my little sister was only 2 years old, and Buchberger was absolutely taken by her. So he ended up carrying her around with him for almost the entire day. It's getting near to the end of the event, and he's still got my sister in tow. He, Keane, and Gilmour were about to head somewhere else, and my mom asks him, "Maybe you should leave your Stanley Cup ring with me? That way, you know nothing's going to happen to it."

Kelly, holding a toddler in his arms, shoots back, "No way! This thing is going to help us pick up girls!"

I can only be so glad that he didn't plan on using the baby.

Stiev Awt fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 1, 2015

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
N: The Hurricanes have won their last three games by a combined score of 12-4, outshooting their opponents by a combined 114-76. They're 14-7-3 overall in 2015 (that's about a ~106 point pace over a not-insignificant sample size).

V: What the gently caress? Why do you assholes do this every year? You spend October and November stepping on your dicks and then once you're firmly out of the playoff race wake up and start playing decent hockey. I fully expect that this team will draft in their usual 6-8 range unless the lottery gods smile upon us.

Unlike the garbage fires in Edmonton, Arizona, and Buffalo this team does some things really well which should give me hope for the future, but the end-of-season optimism brought on by strong finishes always evaporates by November :smith:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I really want to hope for him to steal a series from someone but unless the Caps collapse, both the Flyers and Panthers can't make the playoffs :(

You might be getting your wish, the Caps have looked like rear end in their last few games. Really, really bad.

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Also, Caps were close to getting a good playoff spot, not to have sunk to suck to all poo poo teams. Including being shutout to Carolina.

Really, really bad.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Really, really bad.

Hey guy, don't feel too bad. The Hurricanes always morph into a good team during the 2nd half of the season causing fans of other teams to collectively slit their wrists when they beat them because there's still a perhaps justified perception of them being a poo poo team based on their play in the first half.

Just to show i'm not full of crap, I did a thing and compiled the Hurricanes' aggregate first and second half records over all seasons following 2008-09 (when they last made the playoffs), the lockout shortened season excluded:

1st half record - 73-88-33 (.87 ppg, ~72 per 82 games)
2nd half record - 95-67-21 (1.15 ppg, ~95 per 82 games)

:suicide:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Gonna own when the Sens get to like ~3 points out of a playoff spot and Neil, Smith and Phillips all get healthy and re-inserted into the lineup

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Dale Ouise posted:

An awesome story

That owns. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Please let Arizona fall behind the Oilers. No McEichel for Edmonton. Sorry Noah Hanifin.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Left the house at the end of the second period to go play my own game thinking the Sharks might actually pull one out. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice thrice repeatedly, shame on me.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Please change the title to March - Noted because it looks like one word and that's stupid

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Habibi posted:

Left the house at the end of the second period to go play my own game thinking the Sharks might actually pull one out. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice thrice repeatedly, shame on me.

Shame on all Sharks fans

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Good poo poo nhl.com pun guy

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

Shame on all Sharks fans

They are not the team this city needs - they are the team this city deserves.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

heeheex2 posted:

Good poo poo nhl.com pun guy

Came here to post this. One of their best ones.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Toronto claimed Erixon and Calgary got Schlemko off waivers.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Tim Erixon can die in a wildfire

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

mennoknight posted:

Tim Erixon can die in a wildfire

Isn't that what the Leafs defense is?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Rene Bourque was put on waivers today by Anaheim, apparently. I can't believe the BORK BORK BORK era is coming to a close.

Zodijackylite posted:

Isn't that what the Leafs defense is?

No, no, that's a tire fire.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 1, 2015

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Giordano placed on IR and sent back to Calgary, I guess it's serious

Calgary's hosed now, right? I hate the Flames but I'm kind of rooting for them to make the playoffs because a part of me really wants to see Vancouver-Calgary in the playoffs again

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

toe knee hand posted:

Toronto claimed Erixon and Calgary got Schlemko off waivers.

I am outright shocked somebody wanted a guy that couldn't push Jordie Benn off this roster.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

fancy stats posted:

Rene Bourque was put on waivers today by Anaheim, apparently. I can't believe the Bourque era is coming to a close.

A poor decision, Ducks. You won't get to experience Playoff Hero: Rene Bork

RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuRVA6Yk-I

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

yellowcar posted:

A poor decision, Ducks. You won't get to experience Playoff Hero: Rene Bork

RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuRVA6Yk-I

I still can't believe this happened.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

stab posted:

I still can't believe this happened.

It only gets more surreal every time I watch it. Definitive proof that the playoffs are a magical time when the laws of man need not apply.

Also:

"Gonchy, we're too old for this." - Olli Jokinen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPoapM8DKZM

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

goldrush posted:

Calgary's hosed now, right? I hate the Flames but I'm kind of rooting for them to make the playoffs because a part of me really wants to see Vancouver-Calgary in the playoffs again
Yeah, that's not great for the Flames.

It's good for the Sharks, Wild and Jets though!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Here's a story

My friend's Dad works for the Flyers in some capacity and gets Gamecenter for free (which he didn't tell my friend about until this year, sooo). Anyway, back in the day he reffed a game between the Flyers alumni and some 18 year old kids. Dave Schultz was on the alumni team, and being Dave Schultz, he tried to pick a fight with one of the kids. "Hey Schultzy, what the gently caress are you doing?" and Schultz gets thrown out of an alumni game. So Schultz goes down to some bar to cool off and immediately starts hitting on some women. Now, she happened to be the wife of the ref that tossed Schultz, but Schultz didn't know this (and in fairness, he couldn't have).

Eventually my friend's dad goes back to the bar to have a drink and pick up his wife and Schultz notices him. "Oh what the gently caress do you want? You ready for round loving two?" At this point Schultz was getting very touchy-feely with the woman. So my friends dad goes "That's my wife." And Dave Schultz thinks for a moment and just books it out of the bar. And that's how Dave Schultz was stared down by a mostly deaf man.

The NHL actually tried to recruit him as a ref and passed all the tests, but he was mostly deaf thanks to an ear infection so he couldn't hear the whistle, which makes being a ref sorta hard.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

goldrush posted:

Yeah I'd really like Calgary/Vancouver to finish 2nd/3rd somehow...

But hey they got Schlemko! LOL

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

@ESPNChiPowers

Sharp said all the rumors have taken a toll on him and his family. Said he’s talking to a lawyer about what he can do.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What was the GDT with all the kitties and doggies.

I need to know

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

onemillionzombies posted:

@ESPNChiPowers

Sharp said all the rumors have taken a toll on him and his family. Said he’s talking to a lawyer about what he can do.

stop playing hockey and leave public life

edit: and don't tell the internet you're butthurt or it will never stop

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

stop playing hockey and leave public life

edit: and don't tell the internet you're butthurt or it will never stop

What if he's about to get justice on sports reporters

I would like that

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

@ESPNChiPowers

Just wait until he nails the lawyer's SO

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

goldrush posted:

Calgary's hosed now, right?

Nah Giordano will be nice and rested for the playoffs... where he'll be able to enjoy even more rest.

What the hell is a Schlemko.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Saw the Leafs claiming Erixon coming. He's probably terrible but the Leafs D situation involves Korbinian Holzer on the top pairing and they're only going to be shipping out more bodies come tomorrow.

Loling pretty hard about people taking the cliche sex fantasies of some sad journo as legitimate trade talk. I'm sure people will have learned their lesson and this same exact predictable gross poo poo won't come up again in a year's time. Good luck suing people over tabloid journalism though Sharpie.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What was the GDT with all the kitties and doggies.

I need to know

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700076

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

@ESPNChiPowers

Nothing

Thanks, pay me $1400 for my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

@ESPNChiPowers

Sue the Internet, obviously.

• Locked thread