Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Ok now it's bugging me, who was the douchebag who got mocked about his 5000 couch again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lol seriously? Well the gently caress Barrel does need to be shut down, so I wish you luck. In either doing that or just fleecing money from people, whichever it is that you intend to do.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Lol seriously? Well the gently caress Barrel does need to be shut down, so I wish you luck. In either doing that or just fleecing money from people, whichever it is that you intend to do.

I'm guessing Fried Chicken wouldn't post his real name on SA or live in Georgia

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

The best was when Joementum was a mod and he was the one responsible for the Romney toxx loosers.

That was when they were used to write out John Galt's speech, wasn't it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godspeed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

It's not really mine. I am curious about the name though, I mean, are they trying to close a local establishment? Because that implies there is a place named THE gently caress BARRELL that this guy wants to shut down. Also, that the place can't spell "barrel" correctly.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

I'm guessing Fried Chicken wouldn't post his real name on SA or live in Georgia

Yeah probably not, but I want to believe.

Fried Chicken posted:

It's not really mine. I am curious about the name though, I mean, are they trying to close a local establishment? Because that implies there is a place named THE gently caress BARRELL that this guy wants to shut down. Also, that the place can't spell "barrel" correctly.

It was that thing from that John Oliver show, I think? Cycle of poverty because of collection fees and poo poo from private companies on behalf of municipal clients?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

haveblue posted:

You forgot one very important player in the history of D&D.

This feels like seeing goatse. A familiar friend I had long forgotten about and remember fondly.

Also, what are people's thoughts on Jeb being able to court the Hispanic vote in a major way? I realize he's a republican, but if he gets through the primary he could go hard moderate on immigration, and just do it in Spanish. There's no reason not to, I don't think republicans would pay much attention to the Spanish, and Jeb is fluent.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Indiana sentenced women sentenced to 20 years for miscarrying

quote:

On Monday, the state of Indiana sentenced 33-year-old Purvi Patel to 20 years in prison on charges of feticide - an act that causes the death of a fetus - and neglect of a dependent. She received a 30-year-sentence on the felony neglect charge, 10 of which were suspended. A six-year sentence for feticide will be served concurrently.

Patel is the first woman in the U.S. to be charged, convicted and sentenced on a feticide charge. Reproductive rights activists are outraged.

Patel was arrested in July 2013 after she went to the emergency room, bleeding heavily, at St. Joseph Hospital in Mishawaka, Indiana. Despite initially denying the pregnancy, Patel eventually admitted to medical authorities that she had a miscarriage and threw the stillborn fetus in a dumpster.

According to Sue Ellen Braunlin, doctor and co-president of the Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Justice, Purvi was most likely 23-24 weeks pregnant, although prosecutors argued Patel was 25 weeks along in the state's opening argument. The prosecution confirmed on Monday that the baby died within seconds of being born.

Patel's lawyers argued that she panicked when she realized she was in labor. Patel comes from a conservative Hindu family that looks down on sex outside marriage, and the pregnancy was a result of an affair Patel had with her co-worker.

"Purvi Patel's conviction amounts to punishment for having a miscarriage and then seeking medical care, something that no woman should worry would lead to jail time," said Deepa Iyer, Activist-in-Residence at the University of Maryland's Asian American Studies Program and former director of South Asian Americans Leading Together.

Despite Patel's claim that she gave birth to a stillborn child, prosecutors argued that Patel gave birth to a live fetus and charged her with child neglect. Prosecutors also claimed that Patel ordered abortion-inducing drugs online and tried to terminate her pregnancy, but a toxicology report failed to find evidence of any drugs in her system.

Man, Indiana's really showcasing conservative policy lately.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

That was when they were used to write out John Galt's speech, wasn't it?

It was actually just random Rand bits from wikiquote.

The third party toxxes got Trotsky quotes, naturally.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Accretionist posted:

we've also shown the sharpest contraction of middle class incomes, and correspondingly the greatest drop in the size of the middle class!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Davethulhu posted:

I expect a fair number of new regs are J4Gs, though I doubt many find their way to D&D.

Strangely, I didn't actually J4G. I was in Goonswarm for two years before I joined here. Totally not germane to the conversation at hand, though.

Toasticle posted:

VoiceOfReason angrily screaming for pages about how Kerrys Purple Heart couldn't be real because his extensive knowledge of physics writing video games proves the shrapnel could not pierce skin and getting his name changed to VoiceOfTreason and his meltdown is burned into my brain.

This sounds goddamned amazing.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 1, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fried Chicken posted:

we've also shown the sharpest contraction of middle class incomes, and correspondingly the greatest drop in the size of the middle class!

And man, I know women who've gotten abortions or miscarried late. The idea of them having to undergo antagonistic and demeaning scrutiny or gently caress, being imprisoned and made felons? Fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress. This story makes me angry.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Aren't there many pregnancies that could theoretically result in twins but one miscarries extremely early on? That's a super-dangerous precedent . . .

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TheQat posted:

Aren't there many pregnancies that could theoretically result in twins but one miscarries extremely early on? That's a super-dangerous precedent . . .
Not to mention the countless pregnancies that end in the first days because the embryo fails to attach to the placental wall.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Jagchosis posted:

The Missouri GOP put a bust of Rush Limbaugh in the state capitol, so literally murdering people does not seem that farfetched.

I can confirm that the antisemitic whisper campaign mentioned in the article actually occurred.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The trial is way WAY more hosed than that short article makes it appear. The police interrogated Patel sans Miranda after she'd just gotten out of emergency surgery. They then got a warrant and searched her cell phone and found texts in which Patel expressed a strong ambivalence toward her pregnancy, and a desire to end it, and these were used against her at trial.

That's right - if you didn't intend to get pregnant and make mention of it, this can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

haveblue posted:

You forgot one very important player in the history of D&D.

Forgot... or suppressed the information? :tinfoil:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

Look I may be pro life but in these cases I will always side with the mother. Because what happened is between her and God. Seriously I hope they can get this law appealed and her a pardon because this is just outrageous. Best of all even if someone would support this lovely law the prosecutors had no actual proof that she intentionally miscarried, I mean in this case all you have is that state saying "she miscarried", no actual people saying that she told them she was planing on killing the fetus, because we say without any corroboration this is not proof. Seriously gently caress this law.

Fried Chicken posted:

The trial is way WAY more hosed than that short article makes it appear. The police interrogated Patel sans Miranda after she'd just gotten out of emergency surgery. They then got a warrant and searched her cell phone and found texts in which Patel expressed a strong ambivalence toward her pregnancy, and a desire to end it, and these were used against her at trial.

That's right - if you didn't intend to get pregnant and make mention of it, this can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Did she say, I want to end my pregnancy? Becuase if not, thats not strong evidince. Also Sans Miranda! Seriously wtf is up with Indiana.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

Jesus I remember arguing with this Canadian pro-lifer who said "why are women most qualified to determine the value of a human life?"

With poo poo like this it's good to know the dude cares more about unborn fetuses than actual living, breathing women.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Look I may be pro life but in these case I will always side with the mother. Because what happened is between her and God. Seriously I hope they can get this law appealed and her a pardon because this is just outrageous. Best of all even if someone would support this lovely law the prosecutors had no actual proof that she intentionally miscarried, I mean in this case all you have is that state saying "she miscarried", no actual people saying that she told them she was planing on killing the fetus, because we say without any corroboration this is not proof. Seriously gently caress this law.
their "evidence" that it wasn't her miscarrying was that she texted the father about how she was scared and she didn't know what to do, that her family was upset, that she hadn't planned on getting pregnant, and she wasn't sure if she should have an abortion or give it up for adoption or carry it to term.

This will send her to jail.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

their "evidence" that it wasn't her miscarrying was that she texted the father about how she was scared and she didn't know what to do, that her family was upset, that she hadn't planned on getting pregnant, and she wasn't sure if she should have an abortion or give it up for adoption or carry it to term.

This will send her to jail.

How is that evidence? Especailly when they couldn't find any of the drugs they claimned in her system. What rational person in a jourey would convict with that? Seriously the police that interrogated her and the entire prosecutorial team should be fired. That reads to me like a women was confused, not someone who really wanted to kill her unborn.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Got a link for this? I'm talking about this with the other grad students in my office and it would be really interesting to hear more about the trial.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

How is that evidence? Seriously the police that interrogated her and the entire prosecutorial team should be fired. That reads to me like a women was confused, not someone who really wanted to kill her unborn.

Well her friend also offered to buy her abortion drugs.

"Abortion drugs" being the term that appears in the news reports. And again, the toxicology report showed she hadn't taken any.

Welcome to Indiana. Where The Handmaid's Tale is a guide, not a warning

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Harry Reid had a sinister run in with paralysis drugs and a melon baller, which was adapted by the Illuminati into a fright scene for American Horror Story: Coven

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

Got a link for this? I'm talking about this with the other grad students in my office and it would be really interesting to hear more about the trial.

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/02/02/purvi-patel-isnt-first-woman-color-pregnancy-put-trial-indiana/
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31803/the-case-of-purvi-patel/
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/03/30/3639736/purvi-patel-sentencing/
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...lung_float.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Is everyone enjoying this awesome Indiana thing as much as I am?

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/03/31/indiana-lgbt-rights-religious-freedom-law-mike-pence

It's been pretty fun to watch so far. Ashbrook did a fine job, better than Stephanopoulos, with the head of Indiana's version of Focus on the Family. The callers were especially fervent about the law.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This case is super weird: these court documents show that she had said in texts that she was taking abortifacients, but the doctors found none of the drugs in her system. So I guess she started taking the drugs, and then stopped? Either way I definitely cannot see how the jury said she was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Thanks--these are really interesting.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Wow, I really didn't think anything would be done about this until we had another *error* cause the DOW to drop by 5000 points.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

Well her friend also offered to buy her abortion drugs.

"Abortion drugs" being the term that appears in the news reports. And again, the toxicology report showed she hadn't taken any.

Welcome to Indiana. Where The Handmaid's Tale is a guide, not a warning

But she didn't buy them. If she didn't buy them, they have no case. Seriously how can you with this ridulous law in place prove beyond a reasonable doubt she did this? I mean beyond, dead baby and she didn't go to the ER with it? THats preety haky if all you have is dead baby.

Also good on the SEC, make them squirm.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow, I really didn't think anything would be done about this until we had another *error* cause the DOW to drop by 5000 points.

They've been working on these rules for at least a year, the SEC is very slow when it comes to rule making and habitually blows statutory deadlines. So if they were waiting for one of those flash crashes it'd be another half decade before a single rule was promulgated.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

quote:

It could take a while for the rules to come into effect, as the SEC will have to solicit feedback from market participants and fine-tune any new regulations. There is also always the fear of regulatory overreach.

Yeah let's make sure we ask the ones getting regulated if the regulations are ok. that's a sure path to success

my loving god

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was doing a little bit of reading into this since it seems pretty terrifying and it looks like there's a precedence for these kinds of laws to encourage women in vulnerable situations to abort (see Martina Greywind, a homeless woman in ND who was caught huffing paint while 12 weeks pregnant. Instead of being given counseling and/or medical treatment, she was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment of a minor. While out on bail, she got an abortion, forcing the prosecution to drop charges.)

So once again it's not even about preventing abortion, it's just about trying to punish women for having sex.

I also came across the case of Bei Bei Shuai. Shuai attempted to commit suicide by drinking rat poison but had second thoughts and told friends. she was rushed to a hospital where her life was saved but she miscarried. Because in her suicide note she wrote "I'm going to die and take this baby with me," the prosecution argued that she actually planned to just kill the fetus :wtc: mental health experts pointed out that suicide is a leading cause of death in pregnant woman (as, contrary to the "just put it up for adoption" crowd would like you to believe, pregnancy does crazy poo poo to your body and mind) and if suicidal pregnant women knew they would be prosecuted then they probably wouldn't seek help during or after an attempt. In other words, this case sets the precedent for more dead pregnant women (and fetuses).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The SEC has to be the most regulatorily captured agency we have.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Today's passage of HB1228 threatens to undermine the spirit of inclusion present throughout the state of Arkansas and does not reflect the values we proudly uphold. For these reasons, we are asking Governor Hutchinson to veto this legislation." ~ Doug McMillon, Walmart CEO.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Not even close. It's probably the FCC.

(But yes, there is a legal requirement to allow the regulated industry - and everyone else - to weigh in, and the regulated industry tends to provide more useful and more trustworthy feedback, since they actually know wtf they're talking about.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheQat posted:

Yeah let's make sure we ask the ones getting regulated if the regulations are ok. that's a sure path to success

my loving god

All regulatory agencies do this and they're not necessarily as friendly as you might think. The FAA for example has done a lot of airline and pilot unfriendly things lately for example.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TheQat posted:

my loving god

Guys,

Guys.

Notice and comment rulemaking is literally standard operating procedure for federal agencies. If they don't do it their rules are way more vulnerable to legal challenges.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

USDA by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Today's passage of HB1228 threatens to undermine the spirit of inclusion present throughout the state of Arkansas and does not reflect the values we proudly uphold. For these reasons, we are asking Governor Hutchinson to veto this legislation." ~ Doug McMillon, Walmart CEO.

:stare:

• Locked thread