Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

In those terms, Chris Kyle is responsible for his own death for bringing a guy with PTSD to a gun range.

Or how Charlie Hebdo is ultimately responsible for being attacked.

Its even more depressing. Tamir Rice deserved to die, because he didn't run from the cops:

quote:

Tamir was shot on Nov. 22 as he played in a park on Cleveland’s westside. A resident exiting a nearby community center had phoned police, noting that there was a boy playing with what looked like a gun — but noted to the dispatcher that it was likely a toy.

Those close to the police department have advanced the narrative that the officers, unaware that the caller indicated Tamir was likely playing with a toy, expected the boy to run. Instead, as they jumped a curb and drove at him and a playground gazebo, Tamir took a step toward the rapidly advancing police cruiser — startling one of the emerging officers, who shot him.

While initial police accounts suggested that Tamir had been with a group of other children, had been seen tucking the toy gun into his waistband, and was told several times to drop the toy, video released of the shooting paints a much different account. Tamir is seen talking on a cellphone and throwing snowballs alone in the park. Within seconds of the police emerging — likely before officers could have given him several instructions — he is shot and bleeding on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Its even more depressing. Tamir Rice deserved to die, because he didn't run from the cops:

"We expected him to justify our totally not racist killing, that's on him"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you've been arrested I don't think you can lawfully refuse to give a DNA sample so this ruling just seems to suggest they can get the same through an available means without having to swab you.

If the guy wasn't arrested yet and/or otherwise did not have to comply and give a DNA sample if requested then yeah it's kinda hosed up.

I flubbed some details - the person eventually arrested was not under arrest at the time. He met with police for questioning, but refused to submit to sampling, as the previous 20+ people interviewed about the crime had. So the police swabbed the seat he had been in. It was a match and this was used to arrest and convict. He challenged this. Maryland's top court ruled 4-3 that leaving DNA behind was akin to a fingerprint, so no invasion of privacy occurred. The dissenters pointed out to how often the body sheds cells and said a probable cause warrant should be needed. EfF agreed and filed an amicus brief, that given how often you leave traces that an unlimited ability to collect and search genetic material could lead to a scenario where DNA could be collected from any person through any number of means at any time, entered into and checked against DNA databases and used for pervasive surveillance

Case is Raynor v Maryland

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I flubbed some details - the person eventually arrested was not under arrest at the time. He met with police for questioning, but refused to submit to sampling, as the previous 20+ people interviewed about the crime had. So the police swabbed the seat he had been in. It was a match and this was used to arrest and convict. He challenged this. Maryland's top court ruled 4-3 that leaving DNA behind was akin to a fingerprint, so no invasion of privacy occurred. The dissenters pointed out to how often the body sheds cells and said a probable cause warrant should be needed. EfF agreed and filed an amicus brief, that given how often you leave traces that an unlimited ability to collect and search genetic material could lead to a scenario where DNA could be collected from any person through any number of means at any time, entered into and checked against DNA databases and used for pervasive surveillance

Did they run a sample specifically from him afterwards to make sure the chair sample wasn't someone else's DNA? I assume they would, but......

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really have no problem with it. I don't know why anyone should be contented about police being able to take DNA samples that are left behind, the same way anything you say can and will be used against you.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Seems like it's self limiting, since if police don't initially have your DNA on file they still have to prove that the DNA collected is yours.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

greatn posted:

I really have no problem with it. I don't know why anyone should be contented about police being able to take DNA samples that are left behind, the same way anything you say can and will be used against you.

Because you can remain silent and short of being decked out in a Hazmat suit you can't stop leaving DNA traces? Because he refused to comment on my with a DNA test and they did one anyways?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

greatn posted:

Wait, what? You may have the right to remain silent, but it's pretty hard to exercise a "right to prevent my DNA from being left on my seat."

e:b

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Seems like it's self limiting, since if police don't initially have your DNA on file they still have to prove that the DNA collected is yours.

Except it now allows them to collect it and have it on file to check any crimes that show up in the future against? You don't see how this leaves a massive loophole to exploitation and abuse?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No. I don't. If they have a database to check against for future crimes, good.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

baw posted:

Yeah it's a soft science but it can still be used to make predictions, just like meteorology.

It's a far cry from "zero predictive power."
What.

Economics is not meteorology.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

greatn posted:

No. I don't. If they have a database to check against for future crimes, good.

If it just happens that mostly black and brown men make it into that database, well that's not your problem!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So whats the over and under on what will be the "Unskewed polls" of the 2016 election?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I asked this in an earlier thread and never got an answer: what was the 2012 equivalent of https://www.thisfuckingelection.com? Was there one? Did I dream it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

If it just happens that mostly black and brown men make it into that database, well that's not your problem!

Well hopefully their DNA doesn't match and it will all work out!

I'm not seeing why DNA is sacred compared to any other evidence collection, and how it is an unreasonable search or seizure if they don't even take it from your person or property.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

greatn posted:

I'm not seeing why DNA is sacred compared to any other evidence collection, and how it is an unreasonable search or seizure if they don't even take it from your person or property.

Because forensics is highly questionable and the SCOTUS because all they do all day is watch popular television it seems, are pretending it's infallible.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How they going to prove it's your butt DNA? Dick Cheney could have sat in the chair before you.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Senator Barbra Mikulski (D-MD) will not seek re-election. She is the longest serving woman in congress in american history, and her hardball style has earned her the title "the meanest senator" by congressional staffers. She is credited with reshaping the role of women in government.

Current horse race speculation (with all of 4 hours to go on) is Martin O'Malley will run for her seat

*insert Scott brown joke here*

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

He is Risen

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nonsense posted:

Because forensics is highly questionable and the SCOTUS because all they do all day is watch popular television it seems, are pretending it's infallible.

Take for example the Gary Leiterman case where prosecutors won with DNA evidence and a theory of a crime that included: a four year old leaving his house forty miles away, witnessing the murder, leaving his blood on the victim and then traveling back home without anyone noticing.

Wikipedia posted:

In 2005, 62-year-old Gary Leiterman, a former nurse, was tried and convicted of the killing of Jane Mixer.[1][2] Leiterman came to the attention of authorities 35 years later because a lab report showed his DNA was found on the pantyhose of the deceased. Leiterman worked as a pharmaceutical salesman at the time and lived about 20 miles from the University of Michigan at the time of the murder. According to the Michigan state police lab, Leiterman's DNA hadn't come from blood or semen but might have been from sweat, saliva or skin cells. Some observers feel this DNA evidence is compromised because the report also says the DNA from the spot of blood scraped from Jane Mixer's hand in 1969 matches that of convicted killer John Ruelas who was only four years old at that time. The prosecution offered no explanation as to how Ruelas could have been at this murder scene when he was that age and living 40 miles away. The Mixer and Ruelas cases had been in the lab at about the same time and many wondered if there had been transference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

In those terms, Chris Kyle is responsible for his own death for bringing a guy with PTSD to a gun range.

Admittedly, most people would argue that handing a man with severe PTSD and paranoia a loaded gun, taking him to a shooting range, and standing in front of him with your back turned is effectively suicidal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fried Chicken posted:

Current horse race speculation (with all of 4 hours to go on) is Martin O'Malley will run for her seat

He'd have a better shot at that than he would the White House, but still -- he was so disliked in Maryland at the end that even Anthony Brown backed away from him during the gubernatorial campaign last year.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

greatn posted:

Because it's being taken without consent. You are brought in for questioning. You are not arrested, but you don't really have a choice in the matter. As soon as you're placed in the squad car, they're now capable of swabbing the car to obtain hair or skin cells. If you come in of your own volition, and are taken to an interview room, you aren't really given the choice to not shed DNA. They don't HAVE to take it from your person or property; they can collect it just from having you comply with the required compliance with police procedure. From simply interacting with the police, you are giving up this evidence. You have no recourse to prevent the collection or cataloging of this information.

Is this getting through, yet? The very reason it is chilling and unreasonable is exactly because under this interpretation they don't have to take it from your person or property. You don't have the opportunity to not touch the glass of water, or not take a drink, or not say anything that may be self-incriminatory. The data is just taken, and gently caress you for expecting an assumption of innocence.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Except it now allows them to collect it and have it on file to check any crimes that show up in the future against? You don't see how this leaves a massive loophole to exploitation and abuse?

Only if they can prove that it's your DNA. I am generally against mass collection of DNA, and would support legislation to make it inadmissable, but this seems like something the cops have always been able to do, and presents the defense with a lot of avenues to create reasonable doubt that it actually belongs to the accused.

Edit: If the reality is that the courts will allow the police to claim that they have the DNA of the accused even though there is doubt as to its provenance then it's probably better to make non-mandated DNA collection inadmissable.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 2, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Bassetking posted:

Because it's being taken without consent. You are brought in for questioning. You are not arrested, but you don't really have a choice in the matter. As soon as you're placed in the squad car, they're now capable of swabbing the car to obtain hair or skin cells. If you come in of your own volition, and are taken to an interview room, you aren't really given the choice to not shed DNA. They don't HAVE to take it from your person or property; they can collect it just from having you comply with the required compliance with police procedure. From simply interacting with the police, you are giving up this evidence. You have no recourse to prevent the collection or cataloging of this information.

Is this getting through, yet? The very reason it is chilling and unreasonable is exactly because under this interpretation they don't have to take it from your person or property. You don't have the opportunity to not touch the glass of water, or not take a drink, or not say anything that may be self-incriminatory. The data is just taken, and gently caress you for expecting an assumption of innocence.

And apparently, even if your DNA is not a match in that particular case, they'll keep it on file. You know, just in case....

Or am I wrong on that point?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

eNeMeE posted:

What.

Economics is not meteorology.

You can't repeat economic experiments, and you can't repeat meteorological ones.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

richardfun posted:

And apparently, even if your DNA is not a match in that particular case, they'll keep it on file. You know, just in case....

Or am I wrong on that point?

No, that is exactly the concern. That without laying down rules about when and how it is acceptable to sample DNA and how long they keep it on record it is a wide open invitation to mass surveillance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chitoryu12 posted:

Admittedly, most people would argue that handing a man with severe PTSD and paranoia a loaded gun, taking him to a shooting range, and standing in front of him with your back turned is effectively suicidal.

Chris Kyle was also the kind of egotistical rear end in a top hat who thought himself invincible so why would he see the risk in giving loaded guns to someone who he probably felt he could take down in a heartbeat because he's a badass and the other guy's some broken dude he's trying to help.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Only if they can prove that it's your DNA. I am generally against mass collection of DNA, and would support legislation to make it inadmissable, but this seems like something the cops have always been able to do, and presents the defense with a lot of avenues to create reasonable doubt that it actually belongs to the accused.

You are arguing this specific case when the challenge is on the larger legal principle regarding the situation that you say you are against. You are familiar with the saying "bad cases make bad law"? This is one of them. I'm pretty happy a rapist is behind bars. I'm not happy that the guidelines laid down open the door to massive intrusion because in this very specific scenario we can justify what was done if we squint and imagine some possibilities.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bassetking posted:

You are brought in for questioning. You are not arrested, but you don't really have a choice in the matter.

You absolutely have a choice in the matter. It's still a lousy decision, I'm not defending that. But if the police ask you in for questioning just tell them no.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

You are arguing this specific case when the challenge is on the larger legal principle regarding the situation that you say you are against. You are familiar with the saying "bad cases make bad law"? This is one of them. I'm pretty happy a rapist is behind bars. I'm not happy that the guidelines laid down open the door to massive intrusion because in this very specific scenario we can justify what was done if we squint and imagine some possibilities.

I guess I am overestimating the ability of defense lawyers to challenge police assertions of "we totally got your client's DNA off this chair" with "How do you know it was my client's and not some other guy's?" I really assumed that it would be hard for the prosecution to prove.

Since the court case itself belies this since they are challenging its admissability and not it's veracity, I guess I'm wrong about it.

So given that I'm wrong, then I agree that police should not be able to collect DNA from everybody they contact and hold it in a database forever.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Timby posted:

He'd have a better shot at that than he would the White House, but still -- he was so disliked in Maryland at the end that even Anthony Brown backed away from him during the gubernatorial campaign last year.

Eh, his numbers are coming up. Ebola scare and Brown being a historically bad candidate hurt Brown more than O'Malley, anyway.

I think O'Malley is angling for a cabinet spot or somewhere cushy in the DNC. There's no real pecking order for Mikulski's spot that anyone is aware of but there are a few people I'd expect to see throw their hat in the ring, hopefully Mizeur is one of them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Eh, his numbers are coming up. Ebola scare and Brown being a historically bad candidate hurt Brown more than O'Malley, anyway.

I think O'Malley is angling for a cabinet spot or somewhere cushy in the DNC. There's no real pecking order for Mikulski's spot that anyone is aware of but there are a few people I'd expect to see throw their hat in the ring, hopefully Mizeur is one of them.

I don't know, every time I hear his name brought up it's followed by serious bitching about him "even taxing the rain".

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Obviously I'm the weirdo here but I don't see why DNA would be more privileged than fingerprints or photos and am not really bothered by that decision.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Sir Kodiak posted:

You absolutely have a choice in the matter. It's still a lousy decision, I'm not defending that. But if the police ask you in for questioning just tell them no.

Which many, many departments will consider probable cause. Refusing to provide the police with the assistance they feel you should be providing is a great way to get done for failure to comply, or obstruction of criminal investigation. Saying "No" to the police, while 100% your constitutional right, is also one that is regularly abrogated with impunity.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Munkeymon posted:

Obviously I'm the weirdo here but I don't see why DNA would be more privileged than fingerprints or photos and am not really bothered by that decision.

DNAs really really easy to find since we shed it everywhere we go. Photos require cameras getting a clean shot while finger prints rely touching. DNA just falls off you.

It'd be like you getting finger printed via door knob when some cops asked you in about your meth head neighbor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bassetking posted:

Which many, many departments will consider probable cause. Refusing to provide the police with the assistance they feel you should be providing is a great way to get done for failure to comply, or obstruction of criminal investigation. Saying "No" to the police, while 100% your constitutional right, is also one that is regularly abrogated with impunity.

If we're going to assume that the police are going to violate your constitutional rights – which may be a fair assumption for many people – then the whole discussion is moot. I don't see an argument for voluntarily cooperating with them for a while before they do so, if this is the case. Until you start forcing them to do things against your will you're not building any grounds for evidence to be thrown out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So I'm not seeing much in the way of coverage about the latest with DHS funding or the debt limit today, despite them both being on the hot seat shortly. Plenty about the fuckups leading to last weeks 1 week extension for DHS, a bunch of blather in the lead up to the SCOTUS hearing on the ACA, but not much on what is being done with DHS today or what will happen with the debt ceiling.

Which is a little troubling. No one is giving these guys the hairy eyeball given how close we have come the other times?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DemeaninDemon posted:

DNAs really really easy to find since we shed it everywhere we go. Photos require cameras getting a clean shot while finger prints rely touching. DNA just falls off you.

It'd be like you getting finger printed via door knob when some cops asked you in about your meth head neighbor.

No, it's not hard to get a picture.

I know exactly how easy it'd be to collect DNA given good technology and am not bothered by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

DemeaninDemon posted:

...As others have echoed, since the fingerprint/dna is taken from a surface/room where many other people have been present, how can the prosecution possibly claim to know either is actually from the defendant without the consented print/dna? Short an actual direct sample, this sort of evidence is terrifically likely to be wrong.

• Locked thread