Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Fray, are my ideas regarding foxhole placement a bit more clear now?

When you have a chance, it would be good to outline an overall defensive plan, beyond just the opening deployment. When will we fall back? How many lines of defense do we attempt inside the town? Do we try to defend the outer ring of houses?

We should try to think about the Germans' most likely course of action, and their most dangerous course of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

abelian posted:

Fray, are my ideas regarding foxhole placement a bit more clear now?

When you have a chance, it would be good to outline an overall defensive plan, beyond just the opening deployment. When will we fall back? How many lines of defense do we attempt inside the town? Do we try to defend the outer ring of houses?

We should try to think about the Germans' most likely course of action, and their most dangerous course of action.

You've convinced me to go with your idea rather than what I posted. I won't have a chance to write a new comprehensive post until tonight (thanks for giving us the extra time, GI), but you can consider my previous orders thrown out.

You guys are welcome to start thinking up specific deployment schemes inside the town. Overall idea is to put the foxholes behind the buildings as abelian suggested to create surprise keyhole positions. SMG teams should be positioned to cover each others flanks. We should have a dominant HMG position that the Germans will be forced to avoid, thus leading them towards the SMG ambushes. At every opportunity we'll shift units around so the Germans can't get a handle on where our blind spots are.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, but no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There have been a lot of good ideas thrown out, and our plan can adopt elements from more than one of them.

For example, a picket/screen of one or two sections along Bushes of Saskatoon is very viable, even without foxholes. But we need to have a plan for what to do when we do fall back.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
:siren: Orders are final in less than 24 hours :siren:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, thanks a lot for the extension GI.

Here is a rough plan, including deployments of foxholes. Although I mention the section numbers, I just picked them arbitrarily.

The plan assumes that the main effort will come along the wood approach, but it should be easy to adapt to handle an attack coming from a different direction.

It would be easy to alter certain details. For example, we could put 2nd section in line with 1st section. Then they would just have a longer retreat back to the village center.

I tried to consider flank security when placing the foxholes. I'm a little unhappy about how far some of the final defense line is from the final objective, but we can modify that as the game progresses. No plan is perfect.

Edit: oh the initial MG position has very limited sight corridors into the Saskatchewan Woods, but good visibility of the left flank. We would probably redeploy him later. Same goes for the sniper team monitoring the right flank; we'd want to move them back as well.

Edit 2: Here's how it might look closer to the final defense of the town center:

abelian fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 5, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I'm happy with that, but I'd suggest we fall back to the back of the objective, and defend it from the rear of it, rather than the front of it. Please lace my squad on the map as needed, hidden.

I don't expect to stay at the forest line long, I'd want to move back quickly to the 2nd line of houses first, then hold the left side.

Could I move the left most team further into the forest after the battle starts, about 1-2 minutes further in?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Comstar posted:

I'm happy with that, but I'd suggest we fall back to the back of the objective, and defend it from the rear of it, rather than the front of it. Please lace my squad on the map as needed, hidden.

I don't expect to stay at the forest line long, I'd want to move back quickly to the 2nd line of houses first, then hold the left side.

Could I move the left most team further into the forest after the battle starts, about 1-2 minutes further in?

Yeah, the idea would be to fall back a couple of times, and make the last defense from behind the objective. We probably can't settle on the final defensive positions until the time comes. The foxholes we do have to place now. I tried to think about protecting the flanks. We don't have to man all the foxholes, just the ones that are advantageous given the course of the battle.

As far as initial deployment, I was only going for a rough idea. The details should all be up to the section commanders.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Just to keep you guys in the loop, it's currently 13:00 (I swear this isn't some dorky thing, the 24 hour clock is just more precise) in God's chosen timezone, EST/GMT-5. I am going to sit down to run the turn around 20:00, since inputting Canadian orders is the first thing I have to do. Then I have to input German orders, record the German video, and then record your video, due the order of turns within the game. After that I'll do some light post-processing and render the videos, which will probably take a few hours. Finally I upload them to YouTube and slap some thumbnails on them to protect their modesty, and they'll probably take another large chunk of time to upload. I don't know exactly how long this will take in practice, but I'll know for sure after this turn.

This is all to say that I'd really like to see section orders in by 20:00 EST tonight, or your deployment may be a bit haphazard.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
ORDERS

Deploy my section in the house below the green rectangle in the image. Have them remain HIDDEN. We'll stay in reserve until we detect the main line of German advance, and move to reinforce from there.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

It's probably also worth noting that I can run the turn whenever you guys get all of your orders in, since the Germans have been ready for a while. The sooner everyone gets them in the sooner I can start the game.

e: Come on, I made you a purple one and everything :mad:

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2015

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Sniper section and MG detachment

Sniper team: second floor of the house, facing as shown
Vickers: second floor of the house, deploy, facing as shown.

I decided against giving them cover arcs, but Fray and team: feel free to overrule me on that.

The dotted arrows are a contingency plan, as the first turn is variable length and I'm about to go out of town until Sunday night. Not sure whether I'll have Internet connectivity, but it seems unlikely.

Fray please manage these teams orders, or assign them to someone else while I'm gone.

Godspeed!

Edit: now with official purple Canadian orders tag :)

abelian fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 5, 2015

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'm pretty happy with this, thanks. GI, you can consider Abe's map to be official with respect to placement of foxholes, HMG, scout, and sniper.

The only change I'll make to the deployment is to put 2nd section and HQ further west, in the buildings inside of Alberta Street. I want them close to 1st in case they need help extracting from the picket line. Once that is accomplished we'll pull 2nd eastward to where you have them marked.

Here's the official orders to the section commanders, then:

1st section is in the Saskatoon treeline per yellow.
2nd is along Alberta street per blue.
3rd is in the eastern flank per red.

All sections are to split into teams. Exact team positions are at the section commanders' discretion since it's not my place to micromanage.

All units other than the HMG to begin with Hide and no target arc.

Abelian's orders look good. I'm willing to handle your stuff until Sunday night if you can't post orders.

Fray fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 5, 2015

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Deploy per above. Hide with no target arc.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Section 1

Split up into teams, with the Commander in the middle. Start Hidden.

If a squad come under fire, retreat it to the houses marked.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Fray posted:

I'm pretty happy with this, thanks. GI, you can consider Abe's map to be official with respect to placement of foxholes, HMG, scout, and sniper.

The only change I'll make to the deployment is to put 2nd section and HQ further west, in the buildings inside of Alberta Street. I want them close to 1st in case they need help extracting from the picket line. Once that is accomplished we'll pull 2nd eastward to where you have them marked.

Abelian's orders look good. I'm willing to handle your stuff until Sunday night if you can't post orders.

Ok, thanks Fray.

Here are some more screenshots of the foxholes, to aid with deployment:

Zoomed birds eye:

And various angles:

And here's a save used to create the screenshots above, if that helps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B350FyS3aL6baDlaV3ZQN2NBYmM/view?usp=sharing

I'm off to the mountains for real now.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Also GI, if the first video is variable length I figure I should clarify intent a little. The idea is to unhide 1st section once the leading Germans get close, say <50m, and ambush them. I'd like to make sure we get a chance to execute that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

Also GI, if the first video is variable length I figure I should clarify intent a little. The idea is to unhide 1st section once the leading Germans get close, say <50m, and ambush them. I'd like to make sure we get a chance to execute that.

It will be variable length, but based on every test I've run of the scenario, that shouldn't go beyond 2-3 minutes since the map is so small. I think I'm going to stop running the turn when either team has a significant number of contacts on the screen, sound or otherwise, and certainly before there is a significant engagement. That said, I will do my best to carry out the intent of your orders if I do find myself in that position. I've played this scenario to the end as both sides, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of the direction of your defensive strategy. I will also probably make minute adjustments to unit placement so that dumb stuff like being behind a hill you didn't see or facing the wrong way doesn't screw you over.

e: Also, just waiting for Flippycunt right now, he posted some provisional orders yesterday but that was before Fray posted his plan of action, so they overlap with where Comstar is going.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 5, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Go ahead and use frays map for section 2 deployment . Place in top floors facing out windows with a circular target arc that extends approx to 1st sections deployment area.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58DNqbhk9yI

Map at turn end:

Please give me all the technical feedback you can on the video. I'm also sure there were some things I missed or otherwise glossed over, so please let me know whatever else you'd like to see and I'll gladly go back and make a screenshot/video for you.

The next turn will be run 48 hours from now. Possibly longer since I may be on the road back to Montreal this weekend.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Video looked and sounded good, great work!

Well Abe, looks like you were right on the money about the German main axis of advance. It's probably a minor miracle that everyone in that fire team is still alive, though they probably won't stay that way for long.

Anyway, Fray, sorry I didn't adjust my orders to fit in with your deployment. You want me to divide my section and try to get some guys up north while the Germans are occupied, or would you prefer that I hold position for the time being?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

:stare:

Totally bushwacked em. From my count we got at least 6.

I say we open fire with everything we have while they're stuck out in the open with no cover.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Wow, so the Germans didn't scout at all and just bumbled right into us. Kind of wish I'd stuck with two sections in the treeline, now.

So it looks like we're probably facing a platoon of Fallschirms and a platoon of regulars. They sent the regulars up first to screen, but didn't know that we could deploy so far west. One thing I really like is that vision in the woods is apparently pretty short, less than 200m. That helps us a lot. Only one of our teams is engaged so far, so they probably think it's just a scout rather than a whole line opposing them. We'll disabuse them of that notion on the next turn. My initial thoughts are:

-Go weapons free with absolutely everything
-Get 2nd section moved fast across Alberta St to the outermost buildings to join in
-Pour as much fire as possible into those exposed Germans and slaughter them

I expect they'll move up their FJ platoon pretty fast, so we need to think about how to handle that. The original idea was to sting the Germans and then get the gently caress out, but there's a whole platoon with its pants down right in front of us. Since extracting 1st with an entire platoon in their face is going to be pretty tough anyway, I'm tempted to get bold and hurt them really, really badly right here.

Ace's order snafu is actually going to help us big time because now we've got all three sections close at hand. My aggressive side wants to get stuck in with everything we have and ruin their day.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think if 1st Section can hold for at least another minute they can score quite a few more kills and arrest the entire German advance. It'll also give me and Ace time to get into position to provide covering fire. After which, if there is anyone left alive from 1st Section, they can fall back while we pin the Germans down.

Generation, would it be possible to get a video or SS of the outer building of the village facing where the Germans are advancing from? I'd like to be able to get a grounds-eye-view of window/door placement.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Generation, would it be possible to get a video or SS of the outer building of the village facing where the Germans are advancing from? I'd like to be able to get a grounds-eye-view of window/door placement.

Absolutely, I'll do a quick pan of the perimeter of the town to give you guys an idea of who can see what. I can tell you right now that LOS from those buildings into the forest can be a bit tricky. The second story windows have trouble seeing anything because they're facing right into the leaves of the trees, and the lower levels can be problematic in places because there's a slight hill leading into the town.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

Absolutely, I'll do a quick pan of the perimeter of the town to give you guys an idea of who can see what. I can tell you right now that LOS from those buildings into the forest can be a bit tricky. The second story windows have trouble seeing anything because they're facing right into the leaves of the trees, and the lower levels can be problematic in places because there's a slight hill leading into the town.

Please include the HMG team in that video. Abe mentioned it has at least a little vision into the field so I'd like to see that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Will do. The only factor in whether or not people can see into the field is if there are trees directly blocking their line of sight.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcSYEhtAvZ4

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 6, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think my pinned fire team needs to bug out, there's an entire platoon in front and another one to their left. I can hold them at 3-1 odds, but 10-1 is a bridge too far. They may not be able to escape.

The middle fire team are shooting at the other platoon and the 3rd one can let rip from hiding. Fall back after 1 minute. The objective was to see the enemy advance and take some pot shots. Op success, time to bug out before they can organize themselves.

2nd squad should stay where they are and cover my retreat and hit them when they think they are safe in the next row of houses.. Not many HMG I note in the enemy advance so far!?!

I think our HMG could move north to be in a position to flank fire on them once they break out of the forest. I will withdraw to the north side of town and flank them when they move towards the objective. Otherwise the HMG can stay where it is and cover the 2nd squad when they fall back, but I think it needs to move now while it can, so it's out on a flank, rather than the centre.

Squad 2 may want to move out of the way a bit too (south, away from their route of march), we don't want to stand in front of them, but hit them from the sides.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 6, 2015

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Turns out I have Internet access! I won't have a lot of time to devote to the game, but I should be able to get orders in.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well Abe, looks like you were right on the money about the German main axis of advance. It's probably a minor miracle that everyone in that fire team is still alive, though they probably won't stay that way for long.

Well, it's not like I was the only one to guess it. I did not expect them to rush everything forward so quickly.

Comstar posted:

I think my pinned fire team needs to bug out, there's an entire platoon in front and another one to their left. I can hold them at 3-1 odds, but 10-1 is a bridge too far. They may not be able to escape.

The middle fire team are shooting at the other platoon and the 3rd one can let rip from hiding. Fall back after 1 minute. The objective was to see the enemy advance and take some pot shots. Op success, time to bug out before they can organize themselves.

Exactly. Sure, we've caught them in the open, and we might be able to kill a few more, but 1/B is pinned and rattled and will start taking casualties. We won't be able to maintain fire superiority in this location for very long. The Germans will now fan out, and they likely have some reserve at distance that we can't see. Let's fall back and use the terrain to our advantage.

I think we should: open fire with the other teams, pause B team 10-15 seconds to for the initial shock and surprise to wear off, and then rush them the hell back into a building. Then next minute rush the other teams back.

It looks like one guy slipped past the ambush, and from the video it looks like he has an MG. Maybe we can move the scout team back to take care of him?

I'd hesitate to move the Vickers very far forward at this point. By the time it could get anywhere and get set up, it probably won't be able to do more than just draw fire from 50 Germans at once.

GI, can you give us a check of the LOS with that MG team using the "target" option? It doesn't necessarily have to be a video, but, can they see anything in those woods? I did check before the deployment, but the MG wasn't in the deployed position, and sometimes that can really gently caress with LOS.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

abelian posted:

Turns out I have Internet access! I won't have a lot of time to devote to the game, but I should be able to get orders in.

Well, it's not like I was the only one to guess it. I did not expect them to rush everything forward so quickly.

Exactly. Sure, we've caught them in the open, and we might be able to kill a few more, but 1/B is pinned and rattled and will start taking casualties. We won't be able to maintain fire superiority in this location for very long. The Germans will now fan out, and they likely have some reserve at distance that we can't see. Let's fall back and use the terrain to our advantage.

I think we should: open fire with the other teams, pause B team 10-15 seconds to for the initial shock and surprise to wear off, and then rush them the hell back into a building. Then next minute rush the other teams back.

It looks like one guy slipped past the ambush, and from the video it looks like he has an MG. Maybe we can move the scout team back to take care of him?

I'd hesitate to move the Vickers very far forward at this point. By the time it could get anywhere and get set up, it probably won't be able to do more than just draw fire from 50 Germans at once.

GI, can you give us a check of the LOS with that MG team using the "target" option? It doesn't necessarily have to be a video, but, can they see anything in those woods? I did check before the deployment, but the MG wasn't in the deployed position, and sometimes that can really gently caress with LOS.
Sounds reasonable. Hopefully the shock of A and C teams opening fire will give B a window to extract. By the second minute 2nd section should be in position to give covering fire for the rest.

And yeah, the MG will stay put for now. Everyone remember that setup/breakdown times inside buildings are really, really long. We'll probably only get to move him once.

From the supplement video it looks like 2nd section should use the first floors of the outer buildings. LOS is better and we can pull them out faster when the time comes.

Actual orders will come later today.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAPeE22wYTo

Fairly limited line of fire on your MG, you can probably tell in the video but it's limited to where there's a break in the trees. There are Germans right around where it can see, though. Also worth noting that the unit card tells you the deploy and pack-up time. I didn't think it would be so bad, but for the Vickers it's a 2.2 minute deploy time :stare: and a 17 second pack-up time. For comparison, I think and MG42 can set up in around 30 seconds.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks for the extra video. Just FYI, but it might be a good idea to make the videos unlisted until the game is over. For some reason the Chrome install on my laptop is being crappy, so I switched to IE to play the video. I wasn't logged in, and I guess youtube by default auto-plays the next video, which happened to a German update. I closed the window before I saw anything but the title screen, but if it hadn't been paying as close attention, I could have easily seen something I wasn't supposed to.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

Thanks for the extra video. Just FYI, but it might be a good idea to make the videos unlisted until the game is over. For some reason the Chrome install on my laptop is being crappy, so I switched to IE to play the video. I wasn't logged in, and I guess youtube by default auto-plays the next video, which happened to a German update. I closed the window before I saw anything but the title screen, but if it hadn't been paying as close attention, I could have easily seen something I wasn't supposed to.

Gah, gently caress, that's annoying. Thanks for letting me know. I assume you rarely use IE to watch videos because by default YouTube now auto-plays the next recommended video, and I don't think mine are going to be recommended to anyone unless you've only seen other videos from this LP. I would still rather keep all the videos public for now just so it's easier to find a specific video update, this is mostly because I found it annoying in the last game to have to scroll through every single one of Abongination's posts to find the video I was looking for.

Do you think it would be reasonable to keep the videos public, but put up a big warning before every video to make sure autoplay is turned off? It's just one click in the top-right of the screen.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, I downgraded to stable chrome, hopefully youtube will work better. And I'll be careful if I ever use youtube while not logged in.

Is it possible to create a playlist of unlisted videos? That could be the best of both worlds...

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I think it might be!

Here's the direct link to your playlist page, which I believe still works.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY-nbFTBCdYIIIMuYzDUyzp8xgMw3PH2Y

Both sides turns are now unlisted, but still hosted within their individual playlists. Let me know what you see from your end, because I'm not 100% sure that what I'm seeing is what someone else might see.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Seems to work for me, I see two videos: the preview, and turns 1&2.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Perfect, that's how I'll do it from now on.

Also,

:siren:Orders are final in ~24 hours:siren:

I'll be in a hotel tomorrow night, but I'll try my best to get a turn out.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 7, 2015

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Ed: Minor changes since this is apparently a one minute turn.

All units are now weapons free. Unhide and remove any target arcs. The goal of the next minute is to tear up the exposed Germans prior to extracting 1st Section.

1st Section

Engage the Germans. You can pull team B if you wish, but I'd recommend waiting at least 15 seconds for the other teams to hopefully suppress the Germans.

2nd Section

Move fast across Alberta St and take up first floor positions to engage the Germans (blue line). Remove your target arcs from the previous orders.

3rd Section

Split into teams and spread out in the red area. Hopefully you can get some fire into the west field, but you're also there to guard the right flank in case their other platoon comes that way.

Heavy Weapons

The HMG stays put.You may reposition the sniper at will since it doesn't look like anything is happening in the north. If you haven't posted by tomorrow afternoon I'll do it for you.

Fray fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

HQ moves QUICK per yellow.

Scout team HUNTS per black. On turn 2, it moves FAST per red.

Ed: Edit for one minute turn.

Fray fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 7, 2015

• Locked thread