Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHtfbuh8axY

Final map:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

By my count we've killed 17 of them and lost 3. Hopefully we can keep that up.

Gen, can you show whats going on with that German infiltrator?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

By my count we've killed 17 of them and lost 3. Hopefully we can keep that up.

Gen, can you show whats going on with that German infiltrator?

All you can see is 1 Fallschirmjager crawling in that area and as far as you can tell you don't receive any fire.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is 1st section in the buildings now? I feel I should hide and put short target arcs in place to shoot the regular infantry once they come out of the tree line.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Nice, another casualty-positive turn. It looks like the scout team won't make it out, but at least they're taking Germans down with them and buying us time. The redeployment is coming along well.

Congrats on your first kill, abelian. Looks like that guy had a rifle grenade mounted. Your sniper takes some MG fire at the end of the turn (about 48s on the video), so he's been spotted. You should probably move to a new sniping spot.

That team coming out into the field is interesting. I'm wondering if they were just there to get a flank on the scouts, or if they're also checking how safe that field is.

GI, where is the camera when you show us that HMG? Is that the solid contact in the middle of the west field?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Comstar posted:

Is 1st section in the buildings now?

Not yet, almost.

Fray posted:

GI, where is the camera when you show us that HMG? Is that the solid contact in the middle of the west field?

Yes, he's facing roughly towards the village from the position in the field.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty boring orders this turn. One thing to note though: I've decided to go camping until Tuesday, and the state park I'm going to will have unreliable phone reception, if any. I'll phonepost orders if I'm able, but if I haven't done it by the evening after a new video someone should step in. Abelian, would you be willing to do this?

Basic guidance if I can't post: We'll probably lose the scouts on this turn, after which the Germans should be ready to mount a real attack. I've set things up such that we should be able to get some kills and then fall back if it looks like we won't stop them cold. I'm expecting them to hit our center, but if they go somewhere else shift troops to reinforce and try to fight at close range.

1st Section

Finish redeploying. Split your A/B group so you can occupy an additional building. As GI pointed out on the last page, the number of windows limits firepower, so we should spread out as much as we can. Get target arcs up to hit the Germans if they come up the hill.

2nd Section

Finish redeploying.

3rd Section

Split your A/B group and occupy an additional building so we have more windows.

Sniper and HMG

Move the sniper to a new spot. Try to keep vision over the north. The first floor of the same building might suffice. Continue setting up the HMG.

Scout

Go down fighting!

Fray fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 13, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final in 24 hours.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2nd Section

Whichever team this is in the black house, PAUSE 30 seconds, then FAST to the other house marked.

Other two teams will provide covering fire for the sniper team.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Fray posted:

Pretty boring orders this turn. One thing to note though: I've decided to go camping until Tuesday, and the state park I'm going to will have unreliable phone reception, if any. I'll phonepost orders if I'm able, but if I haven't done it by the evening after a new video someone should step in. Abelian, would you be willing to do this?

Basic guidance if I can't post: We'll probably lose the scouts on this turn, after which the Germans should be ready to mount a real attack. I've set things up such that we should be able to get some kills and then fall back if it looks like we won't stop them cold. I'm expecting them to hit our center, but if they go somewhere else shift troops to reinforce and try to fight at close range.

Sure, I'll be able to, no problem. Have a good trip.

Agreed about the sniper team. I'll find a good spot and pull them back. Their eyes are more valuable than their killing power, anyway.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Section 1

MOVE into the two houses we are near. Move to a position to view out the fire arcs indicated. Set fire arcs as indicated (basically, just short of the forest this turn).

I'll split A/B team up next turn, A team guy probably needs to spend a turn getting some ammo once they stop moving.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Comstar posted:

Section 1

MOVE into the two houses we are near. Move to a position to view out the fire arcs indicated. Set fire arcs as indicated (basically, just short of the forest this turn).

I'll split A/B team up next turn, A team guy probably needs to spend a turn getting some ammo once they stop moving.

I think he'll already have gotten replenished when he recombined with the squad. As I understand it, a unit is modeled as having a single pool. Can you do a test split to confirm, GI?

And abelian, you might want to do a sanity check on our positions since you have the game. Make sure I didn't do anything dumb like put guys on a floor with no windows.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Stay hidden, keep the target arcs on, get ready to show Jerry the what-for.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Fray posted:

And abelian, you might want to do a sanity check on our positions since you have the game. Make sure I didn't do anything dumb like put guys on a floor with no windows.

Sorry, didn't get a chance to before work today. I'll try to before next turn, though.

MG: as before.
Sniper: move quickly as shown below. Make sure to enter the new house from the southeast. Get on the second floor, facing northwest as shown in blue.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

e: Sorry I missed these, might as well address them now that I've noticed:

Fray posted:

I think he'll already have gotten replenished when he recombined with the squad. As I understand it, a unit is modeled as having a single pool. Can you do a test split to confirm, GI?

Test split shows that A team man now has ~250 rounds, which is reasonable considering he's just one guy now.

Also, Comstar issued orders to a team that wasn't his, the squad he drew on the right is from 2nd section. The remainder of 1st section is in the house just south of A/B detachments.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 14, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Generation Internet posted:

Orders are final

e: Sorry I missed these, might as well address them now that I've noticed:

Test split shows that A team man now has ~250 rounds, which is reasonable considering he's just one guy now.

Also, Comstar issued orders to a team that wasn't his, the squad he drew on the right is from 2nd section. The remainder of 1st section is in the house just south of A/B detachments.

Drat, Oh well, I'll fix them next turn. My fault for not watching you click on them.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFytCXLS0k

Final map:

So I'm going to propose running longer turns, about 2-3 minutes or until either force runs into major opposition. I leave that decision up to both teams though, let me know what you think.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
With the HMG in position, can we get a view of what he can see from where he is?

Poor scouts. They are slowing the Germans down giving us time to deploy.

Should we all just hide and set target arcs of the same distance to the edge of the forest?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Comstar posted:

With the HMG in position, can we get a view of what he can see from where he is?

Poor scouts. They are slowing the Germans down giving us time to deploy.

Should we all just hide and set target arcs of the same distance to the edge of the forest?

From left to right:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Looks like Fray's going to be out of communication range. Pretty much the same orders should remain in effect. I think we're pretty well positioned, but I'll load up the game and see if there are any obvious problems.

So now we wait for them to move up into the next ambush. We'll try to repeat what we just did, and then fall back. Our stens should really wreak havoc in house-to-house fighting.

GI, could you give us some screenshots that show the foxholes so that I can confirm their locations?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Generation Internet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFytCXLS0k

Final map:

So I'm going to propose running longer turns, about 2-3 minutes or until either force runs into major opposition. I leave that decision up to both teams though, let me know what you think.

That sounds fine for me. The Germans seem to be moving a lot more cautiously now, and with our sections mostly repositioned there's not gonna be much more to do than wait.

Simple orders for now. A/B Team, hold position and maintain current orders. C team, move Quick to the next house in-between them and A/B team, Hide, and set up a Target Arc of similar distance and arc to the one currently maintained by A/B team.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

Looks like Fray's going to be out of communication range. Pretty much the same orders should remain in effect. I think we're pretty well positioned, but I'll load up the game and see if there are any obvious problems.

So now we wait for them to move up into the next ambush. We'll try to repeat what we just did, and then fall back. Our stens should really wreak havoc in house-to-house fighting.

GI, could you give us some screenshots that show the foxholes so that I can confirm their locations?

It's hard to see the foxholes in screenshots since they're not marked on the map, but I can assure you that I followed the placement on this map as accurately as I could:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Section 1

A fireteam will split off and move QUICK to a building behind the other two teams.

All teams will set up fire arcs to roughly match the same distance towards (but not at) the treelines - the purple line.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Oops, oh well. Didn't want my guys to do anything different this turn anyway.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!sort of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I40OXJhHYI
** Still uploading, it should be done in about an hour, posting it now because it's late and I need to hit the sack.

Final map:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
RIP scout team

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ok, my guys have a fire arc just a bit too far forward, but it does mean they know where my team is, but probably not 2nd and 3rd section. If 2nd section keeps quiet, they can can hit the enemy in the flank when they advance.

HQ should probably move somewhere else too, they'll know he's in that building.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final in 24 hours

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2nd Section

Same orders as before. If you run a multi-minute turn and any of my teams are taking a lot of fire from the germans please have them hide at the end of the turn.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I probably won't be doing multi-minute turns because there's been no consensus in either thread that it would be the preference. It's not the end of the world, unlike some other scenarios this platoon-level engagement has a very finite amount of men and ammo before it burns out.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
E- Good points on removing the fire arcs. I'll need to fall back once they start shooting at me, which they haven't as yet.

Section 1

e- Remove all fire arcs.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 17, 2015

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Sorry for slacking off. I've done a crappy job of filling in for Fray.

To me, it looks like the Germans are getting their poo poo together, and are maneuvering more cautiously. Looks like they are spreading out to engage us in a wide front from the bush line. I expect the next firefight to go poorly for us; they'll probably gain fire superiority quickly. We'll see how much the cover of the buildings helps us.

I think at this point it would make sense to remove most all of the cover arcs, and get the maximum firepower down range that we can this turn.

Then, hopefully none of our guys will be pinned, and we can withdraw to set up ambushes using our prepared defenses next turn.

Comstar posted:

HQ should probably move somewhere else too, they'll know he's in that building.

I think we should leave the HQ team there for now. It wasn't taking much fire, and we want all the firepower we can get this turn.

I think it's important to remove the fire arcs; otherwise they'll just stay where they are and blast the contacts that they have. Does that make sense to you guys? Will you be able to amend your orders before the deadline tonight?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My primary concern with removing target arcs is that without them, our men are going to be wasting ammunition shooting at distant targets in a sporadic manner, and by the time the Germans attack in force we'll already be running low on ammunition. The other problem as well is that it reveals our positions to the enemy-they already likely suspect where we are, but if we start shooting we'll remove all doubt, and allow them to deduce that the southwestern half of the town is relatively undefended. My proposition is this:

-Have almost everybody but a few spotters Hide in their Buildings, and
-Put down some relatively short Target Arcs

This will allow us to replicate the success of the first ambush, as well as draw out the clock for the Germans. If they're fearful of walking into an ambush every time they advance, they're going to be forced to go much slower or make more mistakes. I also think that when we fall back, we should try and leave at least a few teams hidden in some of the buildings-if the Germans push into the town, having a few guys with SMGs pop out into the middle of their lines could cause some nasty chaos. Either way, I do feel that removing the target arcs at this time would not be prudent-and if anything, I'd have them further reduced to prevent our men from exposing themselves at anything other than close range.

Edit: We should also be wary of getting into long-range gunfights with the Germans-they've got plenty of rifles and MGs, while we're stuck mainly with SMGs. We've got the advantage here in making them come to us, we should make sure not to squander it by engaging them on unfavorable ground.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 17, 2015

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed on just about all counts. But I think it's a bit too late to replicate the success of the first ambush from this location (since we're already in contact).

- quite a few of our forces have already been spotted. The Germans are likely to area target those buildings and pin our guys if we give them the opportunity by not opening up
- there are Germans within 200m of most of our sections, which is close enough for good suppression if not accurate outright kills
- a sustained firefight will bleed through our ammo, but we can afford a minute of firing
- our units' TacAI is pretty efficient at target selection, and our guys will shoot at the closer targets, which are within easy effective SMG range

I'm really worried that they'll pin our sections that are already in contact, preventing them from falling back. So I think our best bet is to either have those guys fall back this turn, or we open fire to allow us to fall back next turn.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

abelian posted:

Agreed on just about all counts. But I think it's a bit too late to replicate the success of the first ambush from this location (since we're already in contact).

- quite a few of our forces have already been spotted. The Germans are likely to area target those buildings and pin our guys if we give them the opportunity by not opening up
- there are Germans within 200m of most of our sections, which is close enough for good suppression if not accurate outright kills
- a sustained firefight will bleed through our ammo, but we can afford a minute of firing
- our units' TacAI is pretty efficient at target selection, and our guys will shoot at the closer targets, which are within easy effective SMG range

I'm really worried that they'll pin our sections that are already in contact, preventing them from falling back. So I think our best bet is to either have those guys fall back this turn, or we open fire to allow us to fall back next turn.

My team totally nailed two of them with their stens from about the range they're at now. We moved around a bunch, they prob know where most of our teams are. I say we let em have it

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hey guys, just got back home and watched all the videos since Friday. This really didn't go the way I hoped. Several of our units revealed themselves prematurely, either due to fire arcs not being ordered or Comstar's fire arcs including the woods after he requested that they not do so. I guess it's partially be my fault since I didn't think 1st section would even be able to see down the hill that far.

I'm going to try to jump in and give last minute orders since there haven't been official ones posted for this turn. I'd like a 24 hour extension if GI is feeling generous. If not then hopefully you all see this in time.

I agree with abelian's analysis. This isn't the kind of fight I want to have for all the reasons he mentioned, so we're going to give the Germans some fire and pull back before this turns into a general melee. It's too late to hide as Ace suggested; they will have at least suspect contact icons on the buildings and they can cause casualties with area fire from their squad MGs.

1st section

Cancel arcs, pause 30 seconds and pull back per yellow.

2nd section

Pause your B team thirty seconds and then pull back across Ontario. I'm actually not sure how they even have LOS on the Germans unless GI put them on the second floor.

3rd section

No orders.

Sniper and HMG

Put the sniper in that outer area on a first floor. I want as much vision over the north as possible and the current spot is too obstructed by other buildings. I think the first floor is probably better than the second since we need to see beneath the tree canopy. Ultimate placement is up to you since you have the game, but I want all the LOS you can give me.

HQ

Pause 30 seconds and pull back as shown to the 2nd floor of that building.

Fray fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 18, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

Hey guys, just got back home and watched all the videos since Friday. This really didn't go the way I hoped. Several of our units revealed themselves prematurely, either due to fire arcs not being ordered or Comstar's fire arcs including the woods after he requested that they not do so. I guess it's partially be my fault since I didn't think 1st section would even be able to see down the hill that far.

I'm going to try to jump in and give last minute orders since there haven't been official ones posted for this turn. I'd like a 24 hour extension if GI is feeling generous. If not then hopefully you all see this in time.

Just to quickly touch on this; there was no way to actually make the fire-arcs exactly as he ordered them. The arc is exactly that, an arc, it follows a shallow curve between the two points you click on the map. It was either have them considerably narrower than what her ordered or have them protrude slightly further, since he drew his orders with a straight line between points. I'm sorry if you feel this has compromised your strategy, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Orders are final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJlyS5ezr_0
** Once again, the video is stuck in processing hell at 0%, hopefully it sorts itself at some point after I go to bed.

Final map:

• Locked thread