Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Ah poo poo, I can't see the update but going by the map they may be trying to move some troops to outflank us. Obviously I have no idea if my section's engaged or not, but it might be a wise idea to send one or two of my teams down south as a precautionary measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
From the map, they intend to keep us busy with the regualr infantry, and flank right with the para's. Which is what I thought they might do. Idea- we move all squads to the south, using the buildings as cover.

Edit- Comedy option. With half their units trying to flank us, we charge and counter attack the rattled regular infantry to our front.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 18, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

As I feared, they're using their machinegun advantage to suppress our men in the buildings while they maneuver.

I think we need to get the HMG into action. Its our best suppression tool and right now its too far back to be putting ammo downrange. We've already seen our sniper is one bad-rear end motherfucker, if we can get the HMG pinning them down in the open I think our sniper can do some damage.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Looks like they're splitting the FJ platoon up, since the troops shooting at our front are all paras. I don't think we've actually seen the regulars again since we massacred them at the start. There are three or four Fallschirmjaeger LMGs up front, so the group looping around the north can't be all that nasty: maybe a single squad and their remaining regulars following? Looks like a hammer/anvil strategy where their main force holds us in place and the flankers infiltrate an undefended front. The Germans must think we have no real forces up there, because attacking with so little cover is hugely risky. We'll move the sniper next turn to try to get a clearer picture of that northern movement. I guess they're just using that schreck team as a scout out in front since it's not like they need it for anything else.

My idea right now is to delay in the center and south until Ace can defeat that northern force. Once that is done 3rd can come back and stiffen our line against the remaining Germans.

Our ambush plan is totally blown so 1st and 2nd need to fall back and start the street fighting phase. We do need to use the vickers better; that spot we put him in isn't going to be very helpful given what the enemy is doing. Our sniper will scout the northern Germans and try to pop the schreck team to prevent them from discovering Ace. Flippy's Bren team can probably also pick off a few Germans as they advance in the open. The north has almost no cover whatsoever, so we'll have Ace pounce on the Germans when they are in Green Gables Field.

Ed: I'm thinking about what to do with the HMG as well. I'd like to position it to help 3rd stop the northern attack in case it turns out to be bigger that I suspect it is. I'm just not sure if we can deploy it in time.

Fray fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 18, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Will do. Quick question, though-would it potentially be worth it to try moving at Move or Hunt speed to minimize sound contacts? I'd like to give them a rude surprise, if possible.

Edit: on reflection, considering how quickly they're moving it'd probably be better to move quick, lest they get there first.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Will do. Quick question, though-would it potentially be worth it to try moving at Move or Hunt speed to minimize sound contacts? I'd like to give them a rude surprise, if possible.

Edit: on reflection, considering how quickly they're moving it'd probably be better to move quick, lest they get there first.

That's a good question. Let's play it safe and use quick-move. They're still somewhat far off and units don't hear too well when they themselves are running so hopefully we can get away with it. I think the way to execute this is to go immediately to the second row buildings by the first arrow I drew and then hide. Then when it's time to engage sprint to the outer buildings per the second arrow and let them have it.

And we'll never, ever use Hunt inside the town. That's just asking for your guys to stop in the middle of a drat street and get hosed.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Okay, official orders.

1st Section

Pull back your C team. They're not pinned so they should be able to get out immediately. All teams should be unhid with arcs off.

2nd Section

Move your A team to the bottom floor just so they can get away from the German MG fire. They're pinned so they'll need a pause command first. All teams should be unhid with arcs off.

3rd Section

Amended orders further down the page.

HMG and Sniper

Amended orders further down the page.

HQ

No orders.

Ed: Also GI, could we please get a quick video tour of the north part of town and neighboring fields? It looks like that area is about to heat up and I want a better sense of elevation, windows, etc.

Fray fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 20, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final in 22 hours.

Fray, I'm rendering the tour now, it should take about an hour to upload to youtube, but that can vary. I'll make a new post when it's ready.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2nd Section
Pause A team 15 seconds, then QUICK downstairs to occupy the first floor.
If B or C team can target the German location where the bulk of the MG fire is coming from, have them TARGET BRIEFLY for 15 seconds.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

YouTube apparently does not like the Canadian videos or something. This one has been processing for literal hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVweTNvzDA

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Section 1

C team will pause for 15 seconds, then move FAST out the back, around the house behind, and then move QUICK into the house next door. Get to a door or window that can face the enemy and HIDE.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think we can maintain fire superiority from the outer houses. One Vickers is not going to make enough of a difference, especially when you factor in the delay in getting set up.

This ambush just didn't work out (not too surprising, given how wary our previous ambush will have made the German team, and the difficulties in coordination and applying proper fire arcs). We should fall back and force them to get in close. The sooner, the better, I think.

I'll re-position the sniper to a location with a better view. Sorry for not getting that done in time last turn.

Are you certain that we should be moving the MG? It's not in a terrible spot, and the location of the main effort is yet to be determined. As part of a delaying defense, it can't fall back as fast as the other infantry, so we'll want to set it up in some place where it can get involved in a pitched battle.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders will be due tomorrow at 20:00 EST (GMT-5)

The turn will be two minutes long, plan and write your orders accordingly

I was a little worried about losing fine control in this small format in multi-minute turns, but I think it should work out if you give me conditional orders. In turn, I'll try my best to respond logically, and probably conservatively, to any new threats that emerge.

This is due to suggestions and requests from the German thread. If any of you have any major concerns let me know, otherwise this should help to keep things moving even in the middle of a war of maneuver.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

abelian posted:

I don't think we can maintain fire superiority from the outer houses. One Vickers is not going to make enough of a difference, especially when you factor in the delay in getting set up.

This ambush just didn't work out (not too surprising, given how wary our previous ambush will have made the German team, and the difficulties in coordination and applying proper fire arcs). We should fall back and force them to get in close. The sooner, the better, I think.

I'll re-position the sniper to a location with a better view. Sorry for not getting that done in time last turn.

Are you certain that we should be moving the MG? It's not in a terrible spot, and the location of the main effort is yet to be determined. As part of a delaying defense, it can't fall back as fast as the other infantry, so we'll want to set it up in some place where it can get involved in a pitched battle.
We won't to try to hold where we are, we'll be pulling back as gradually as we can manage. The MG will come into play as part of a defense deeper into town. Looking at the screenshots GI posted again, we might actually get some use from the current position since it sees down a long corridor to its left.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
A 2 minute turn will make it harder for us to defend that it will the Germans to attack - we are responding to them, and need to react to their movements.

Anyways, I'm ok with it happening for one turn, but I'd want to see how much they move beyond doing it for that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Comstar posted:

A 2 minute turn will make it harder for us to defend that it will the Germans to attack - we are responding to them, and need to react to their movements.

Anyways, I'm ok with it happening for one turn, but I'd want to see how much they move beyond doing it for that.

This is quite meta, but personally I disagree. You just need to know the general axis of their advance to cover those approaches, while they need to know the exact positions of your troops to fix and engage them. It will make it harder for both teams to react immediately, but I'm hoping that can be mitigated with conditional orders. If it goes horribly then we'll just write it off as a one-off thing to off-set a delayed turn.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I for one would rather stick to one minute turns. Fine micro is the entire game when you're playing at this small of a scale, and I'm not at all bored with our current pace.

Engaging those northern Germans becomes very tricky with a two minute turn. That's a force of completely unknown size, and two more minutes of jogging could put them in the town. Ace will basically have to engage them blind and pray that the timing works out so that they're in SMG range.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Here's some amended orders to account for the two minute turn.

3rd section

Those Germans might be in the town in two minutes if they hurry, so we'll have to forgo scouting them and just move to engage in this turn. Move quick per red and you're weapons free on whatever is down there. This could go really well or really badly depending on how many and how close they are, so good luck!

Ed: How about you give it a pause of like 30seconds to help ensure the Germans are close enough for our SMGs.

Sniper and HMG

Position the sniper however you think best to give Ace some extra firepower against those Germans. And let's keep the HMG put for now. We'll fall back towards him in stages over the next few videos.

Fray fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 20, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I guess the upshot of a two minute turn is if the Germans blunder into another ambush we get two whole minutes to plaster em before they can do anything about it.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

About two hours to go until the deadline and we need Ace and abelian's orders. I'm posting for you guys in ninety minutes if you don't turn up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fray posted:

About two hours to go until the deadline and we need Ace and abelian's orders. I'm posting for you guys in ninety minutes if you don't turn up.

Post for me if you can, I'm at work right now and can't get out until 9 EST.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I loaded up the game, and the Vickers should have decent LOS into the area that the FJs are about to cross (unless deploying the MG does affects the LOS, which seems to happen in CM in a difficult-to-predict way as I only tested LOS undeployed).

HMG: continue setting up/hold position.
Sniper: move quickly as shown in yellow. Enter the destination building, stay on the first floor, and face as shown in blue.
GI, if somehow it's taking heavy fire by the end of the first minute, please extract him out the rear of the building to a safer location within the town. I'll leave it to your discretion as to where to send it.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Stand-in orders for Ace.

Quick-moves are in yellow and facing per blue.

Ace's A/B team will split. Turn off all of his target arcs.

A team pauses 15s and goes to the second floor of the indicated building. Do not hide.

B team pauses 15s and goes to the first floor of the indicated building. Do not hide.

C team goes immediately to the first floor of the indicated building. Do not hide.

I drew some orders for the sniper and then erased them since abelian posted.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18yQNeSa28

Final map:

I only did a one minute turn, I decided that if either team is going to take losses it should be entirely within the power of the team to cause or prevent them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can you let me know which units can see the buildings windows or doors marked in red? I'm hoping the Germans entering that building will be visible to 5 different units that all can shoot it to hell and back.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Losing a bren gunner sucks, but it looks like Ace is about to put a serious hurt on them in the north.

Notes:

-As comstar said, please show us some LOS from that building the Germans are moving into. I'd like to know if my HQ would be able to fire on its first floor from any of the floors of their own building.

-The soldier status for the sniper team still shows "Moving" so I think they can't see anything just because they're not at the windows yet.

-It looks like Ace's rightmost team is trying to go around the front of the building to enter through the door facing the enemy. We definitely need to make sure they use the door on the other side.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Comstar posted:

Can you let me know which units can see the buildings windows or doors marked in red? I'm hoping the Germans entering that building will be visible to 5 different units that all can shoot it to hell and back.

Every unit in the blue circle can see, or is about to see, the house the Germans were near:

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

If I put my HQ on the third or fourth floor, will they be able to see that building?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm glad they're pushing forward and not just lurking in the treeline.

Looking forward to blasting them right the gently caress out of those buildings.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Flippycunt posted:

I'm glad they're pushing forward and not just lurking in the treeline.

Looking forward to blasting them right the gently caress out of those buildings.

Yeah, as soon as those Germans enter the building they're going to eat a lot of bullets from your SMG team right across the street.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

If I put my HQ on the third or fourth floor, will they be able to see that building?

Nope, they're blocked by the building in front of them at any elevation.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Generation Internet posted:

Nope, they're blocked by the building in front of them at any elevation.

Be as good time to move it then, further north I think to cover the flanking movement.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

1st Section

Pull back your A team slightly so he's not exposed to the woods anymore. Use your C team to assist Flippycunt against the attack on our center.

2nd Section

Deal with those Germans who just entered the town. Your B team is pretty well positioned to gently caress them up when they enter the building they're up against.

Not sure what to do with your A team, maybe you could pull them out the back door and place them on the outside corner of the building. Up to you.

Keep your C team where it is, he's well positioned to shoot up any reinforcements coming from Moose Jaw.

3rd Section

Finish the previous orders and bring me some skulls. You'll need to set some new waypoints to make sure your B team enters the building through the door facing away from the enemy.

Ed: Actually, you should probably override the facing I gave for C team. I pointed them west and it looks like the Germans are more north of us.

HMG and sniper

Finish the move and snipe some dudes.

HQ

Move quick per yellow and face per blue. First floor is preferable if it has at least two windows; otherwise use the second.

Fray fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

By the way GI, what the hell do our 50mm smoke mortars do and how do we use them? Do you call a smoke mission or is it something like the Pop Smoke command?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final in ~21 hours

I'll admit I'm not totally comfortable with the wee Commonwealth squad mortars. I assume it works from within the squad command menu rather than any external process like calling in a mission.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Section 1

The bottom squad will move FAST into the building to its front, and shoot the Germans across the street.

Middle squad will move FAST out the back of the house, up the street around 2 buildings and then forward again.

Top squad will make sure it's looking in the purple line and HIDE.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Not much that needs to be said here. Make sure that team B runs into the back of the building instead of the front, and make sure that all teams are facing South, towards the attacking Germans.

edit: god save the king

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 22, 2015

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

About 100 minutes until the deadline. I think we just need Flippycunt. I'll fill in at the last minute if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2nd Section

No movement beyond the following:

Please make sure A & B sections are facing windows towards the Germans entering the house.

• Locked thread