Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-3fZ0nMwI

Final map:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

:stare:

Our sniper is a stone cold gangsta.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man that is a lot of fire hitting my section. At least we only took a single casualty, though with the amount of fire that's being put out that could change quickly. Fray, do you think it would be a good idea to pull back a squad or two to the next line of houses? My platoon only just got here, but there's already a lot of heat on them and I'm not sure how well these houses are going to stand up to a crossfire.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Wow, staying up to wait for the turn was totally worth it. We've got them by the balls in the north, and 1st and 2nd have driven back the center attack giving the enemy a bloody nose in the process. Well done all around, gentlemen. I'm off to bed now, analysis and orders to come tomorrow.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Our sniper is amazing.

Looks like they're trying to surround us.

I'm worried about the south side- I only have one guy, but if we stop their centre assault (which has one prong broken this turn) it should be ok.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I don't think they have enough men left to really put together a dedicated assault on the north. They've lost something like 25 men, which I would guess is about 1/3rd of their force.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Okay this is gonna sound really dumb, but which side is north again?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Okay this is gonna sound really dumb, but which side is north again?

Not dumb at all, the compass in BN is horrible. It got better in Black Sea, though.

I've been posting maps "upside down", North is the bottom of the final map and South is the top.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I think comstar's map is probably accurate. We've seen some mixed FJ/regular troops on our left, and a sound contact at the end of the turn suggests they are moving. I believe we can nail down the enemy disposition as follows:

The enemy began with a platoon of FJs and a platoon of regular troops for a total of around 80 men. We have confirmed kills on about a third of them, and likely a few more we didn't see.

One battered FJ squad is stuck in an open field on our right. They won't be long for this world.

One FJ squad that just attacked our center and was beaten back. That team in the open should be finished off shortly as it's already under SMG fire from Flippycunt.

By process of elimination that leaves one FJ squad and the mauled regulars. The regulars aren't too dangerous due to broken morale (think back to our southern platoon in the last game), but they can be meatshields if they attack with the FJ squad. They also have an HMG somewhere that won't be much help in town due to atrocious setup times.

The strategy remains the same: 1st and 2nd will defend conservatively while 3rd and abelian destroy the force on our right flank.

1st Section

Set up a defense line on Moose Lane against an attack from the southwest. You'll have the HMG and my HQ for additional firepower.

2nd Section

Finish off the team stranded in the open and defend the center against any further attacks.

3rd Section

Hold your line and destroy the enemy. You took heavy fire early on, but you should become unpinned now that the Germans have lost two automatic weapons. If GI can figure out how our smoke works, you and Flippycunt could try to use some to block the fire coming at you from Moose Jaw. Ed: If we can't make the smoke work you can go ahead and retreat your B team if you're that worried about it. They seem to be taking the worst of it and they don't have much firepower anyway.

Sniper and HMG

Continue being a badass.

HQ

I think my move order on the last turn was forgotten, but no matter. Keep him on the second floor and face SW (he'll have windows, right?).

Fray fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

HQ

I think my move order on the last turn was forgotten, but no matter. Keep him on the second floor and face SW (he'll have windows, right?).

Ah poo poo, you're right. I'm sorry about that, I must have assumed everything in that post was simply a directive instead of an actual order. I'll make sure to double check next time.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Wow, that sniper. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Right now, I feel like we're doing pretty well on both counts.

GI, great camerawork and editing there, as usual. Can you do me a favor and let me know if the deployed Vickers has LOS anywhere to the North? When I fire up the game, it indicates that a team in there has LOS to where that sniper was engaging those guys. The fact that the MG is deployed might be screwing that up.

Also, if you have some time, could you try giving us a bit of recon on the enemy contacts that we've seen this turn? Even just a quick clickthrough of those enemy icons that we see at the end would be really helpful.

One thing that I'd like to point out as we continue to issue orders: we should always be entering on the side of buildings facing away from the enemy, whenever possible. Almost all of the buildings have doors on opposite sides, so there is almost always going to be a safer way to enter/leave. Here's a link to an image that I posted earlier in the thread:

When ordering a unit to leave or enter a building, try to set an an initial/final waypoint near the door facing away from the Germans and towards the center of town. It can't always be avoided, but we should do what we can.

As far as the current situation goes, Ace sure is taking a lot of fire. And it looks like there's quite a bit of long range automatic fire coming from the center, where the sniper can't see.

And we know that they've spotted the sniper, so I would expect them to put area fire down on that building. I'm ok with waiting it out there, especially if I can help draw some of their fire away from Ace, but I'm pretty worried about getting pinned down in that building. I guess it depends on how many un-rattled troops with automatic weapons they have left in the northern part of the map.

abelian fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 24, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Physical MG deployment:

View from MG to the only bit of field it can see:

Did a 20 second click-through of contacts, will upload that shortly.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuJ3LUqSr1w

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 24, 2015

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks for the insanely fast response.

It looks like this game is on a harder difficulty level than the last game, so from the clickthrough, it's not really possible to tell how many guys we can see, or what weapons they're actually carrying. Any chance you could do the same, but zoom in? Or just take some screenshots, or hell, even just write them down. Whatever is easiest.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

1st Section

Top team will face down the black line.
Middle team will finish moving into the building with a MOVE command and face down the black line.
Bottom team will stay where they are, shoot the Germans if we can see them.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

abelian posted:

As far as the current situation goes, we're doing really sAce sure is taking a lot of fire. And it looks like there's quite a bit of long range automatic fire coming from the center, where the sniper can't see.

And we know that they've spotted the sniper, so I would expect them to put area fire down on that building. I'm ok with waiting it out there, especially if I can help draw some of their fire away from Ace, but I'm pretty worried about getting pinned down in that building. I guess it depends on how many un-rattled troops with automatic weapons they have left in the northern part of the map.
Fortunately, I think the ridge should limit fire from Moose Jaw to the westernmost building only. The team in that one will have a rough time but the rest of the squad should become unpinned shortly and put heavy fire on the exposed German squad. I count four sources of automatic fire coming from the contacts in the field in the last turn, and your sniper took out two of those. Between casualties, fatigue, and morale I don't think they're going to be very effective returning fire on the next turn.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully we'll hurt that squad enough on this turn to leave it combat ineffective and then pull back into the city.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, sounds good. Do we want to think about moving the MG to better cover the southern flank? Possibly next turn?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

abelian posted:

Ok, sounds good. Do we want to think about moving the MG to better cover the southern flank? Possibly next turn?

Yeah, maybe. Let's wait this turn and see if we get some info on what the next German move is.

Also GI, just noticed that comstar's C team is hidden at the end of the last video. He didn't order that so please make sure to unhide them for this one.

Should be less than an hour to the orders deadline, so post 'em if you got 'em. Don't think anyone else has anything in particular I need them to do though.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Haha, ok. Might as well post something, to make it easier for GI if nothing else.

HMG: hold up for now
Sniper: keep on doing your thing.

abelian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 25, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

Also GI, just noticed that comstar's C team is hidden at the end of the last video. He didn't order that so please make sure to unhide them for this one.

Just noticed that in the game, it must have been a holdover from some of his older orders.

Orders are final

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 25, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Comstar posted:

Section 1

C team will pause for 15 seconds, then move FAST out the back, around the house behind, and then move QUICK into the house next door. Get to a door or window that can face the enemy and HIDE.

There's the one, he never cancelled that order as far as I know.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

There's the one, he never cancelled that order as far as I know.

Ah, I didn't know that Hide commands persist after you move. One more detail we need to keep in mind with our orders.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

Ah, I didn't know that Hide commands persist after you move. One more detail we need to keep in mind with our orders.

They don't, C team hasn't moved since that order.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzYXaAm-AJM
* This one has been uploading for over 2 hours and it still has a while to go, it should be done about an hour from the time of this post. In theory.

Final map:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
That sniper, if he lives, deserves a medal.

I think our bottom squad needs to pull back into town.

Centre is ok.

I'll unhide and hit the guys to the south.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I updated my annotated map with the current locations of forces, plus where our foxholes ought to be (dark blue circles).

It looks like their main effort is still in the center, with probably 3 sections or more with a foothold in the town this turn. It looks like they're probing each flank, probably as a recon-in-force. The center and northern effort are supported by a base of fire coming from those bushes. We don't have good intel on how they're attempting to support their southern effort, if at all. That force so far seems to be composed of regulars. The center and northern flank appear to be composed primarily of paras. I would guess that they sent most of their surviving regulars to the south.

If we can safely extract Ace's squad from their current building, then we can deny the Germans effective use of their HMG. We should start thinking about how we want to fall back and use the foxholes to our benefit.

I've put the Vickers in a pretty lovely place, as it turns out. Right now, I think there are two options: use it to support the center, or use it to support our southern flank. Because of the facing of the buildings, and windows, it's hard to find a position that can help with both.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I finally got a chance to watch the video. Our performance in the north is disappointing but at least we came out even on the turn. It's definitely time for Ace to bug out and try to defend deeper in the town. Flippycunt's A team isn't doing anything at the moment; moving them back up to the second floor of their building might give them LOS on that HMG crew so they can pin it and help Ace extract.

I'm thinking we keep comstar hidden for now but set up target arcs. The regulars are rather far away for our SMGs at the moment. We might also bag some paras if they don't know he's there and try to cross Alberta St.

As for the machine gun, I'm leaning towards the center. The paras are the real threat. Or we might actually need it to back up Ace if he gets beat up extracting.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

1st Section

Unhide your C team. With your other two teams, set up target arcs. We need the enemies on the left to get a little closer before opening up.

2nd Section

Move your A team back up to the 2nd floor of their building. I'm hoping they can put some fire on the enemy HMG to help out Ace.

3rd Section

Try to pull back into town.

Sniper and HMG

Pause the sniper for 45 seconds and then pull him back a short ways. Try to pick a new spot where he can still engage in case Ace doesn't get out on this turn.

Redeploy the HMG to a location that can support our center.

HQ

No orders.

Fray fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 26, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final in ~21 hours

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2nd Section

A team, QUICK back up to the 2nd floor of the building. Position, if possible, to provide fire on Germans attacking 3rd Section. If not, face any nearby German contacts.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

1st Section

The two top squads will shoot the enemy in the open. If they cannot see him, UNHIDE and target arc that direction, out out to the edge of the village.

Bottom squad make sure it's UNHIDEed.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Well, there's no perfect location for either of these teams, so this will have to do.

Sniper: pause 45 seconds. Then follow the route as shown. Yellow = move quickly. Orange = move fast. Upon arrival at your destination, move to the second floor and face as shown in blue.
MG: move quickly as shown below. Set up on the second floor of your destination, facing as shown in blue.

This is the least bad of a series of poor options I had for the MG placement. It has a few long firing firing lines, and it should be able to deny the area around the intersection between Moose Lane and RCMP Way.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

abelian posted:

Well, there's no perfect location for either of these teams, so this will have to do.

Sniper: pause 45 seconds. Then follow the route as shown. Yellow = move quickly. Orange = move fast. Upon arrival at your destination, move to the second floor and face as shown in blue.
MG: move quickly as shown below. Set up on the second floor of your destination, facing as shown in blue.

This is the least bad of a series of poor options I had for the MG placement. It has a few long firing firing lines, and it should be able to deny the area around the intersection between Moose Lane and RCMP Way.

Yeah, it doesn't look like you have any great options for either unit. I'm actually thinking of just leaving the sniper put, in the assumption that Ace won't get everything out in one turn. We might have to wait for the sniper to knock out those remaining two automatic weapons before 3rd can get unpinned. Fortunately the spotting check shows he can see everything in the north, and he's about to take a shot when the turn ends.

Ed: Actually yeah, just leave the sniper there one more turn. Ace needs the help.

Fray fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 26, 2015

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Here's some stand-in orders for Ace. I'm also going to post a modification to abelian's since I changed my mind too late for him to catch.

3rd Section

Hide 3rd section and pause them for 15 seconds. Then move fast per red and quick per yellow. C team goes in the foxholes that we should have behind that building.

Sniper

Hold and engage for the turn. Sorry to do this abelian. I'm loath to change a subcommander's orders after they've posted but I'm pretty sure it's necessary this once.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Fray posted:

Hold and engage for the turn. Sorry to do this abelian. I'm loath to change a subcommander's orders after they've posted but I'm pretty sure it's necessary this once.

No problem, 15 seconds isn't going to make much of a difference anyway. It seems that the Germans have not been area firing the sniper, for some reason (although maybe they're just too suppressed/rattled?). Let's hope that luck continues.

I'm not sure it will be enough, though. The bulk of the fire against Ace is coming from the center, where the sniper can't currently see.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

No problem, 15 seconds isn't going to make much of a difference anyway. It seems that the Germans have not been area firing the sniper, for some reason (although maybe they're just too suppressed/rattled?). Let's hope that luck continues.

I'm not sure it will be enough, though. The bulk of the fire against Ace is coming from the center, where the sniper can't currently see.

For the record I followed abelian's orders instead of Frays, personal preference but I think it kind of defeats the point of this format if the CO can override his subordinates at any point. I'm fine with orders for Ace, since he hasn't posted, but not for people who have issued orders already.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Totally understandable. I was pretty iffy about doing it in the first place.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuDhHsPXFs

Final map:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

is most of the video black for anyone else?

• Locked thread