Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Time posted:

Javale is going to Houston

KJ's mom and Javale's mom sitting courtside? I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

On one hand I was thinking the injury might give us a chance to see McBuckets play but in reality Thibs will just play Kirk 40 minutes a night for who knows what reason.

So Butler has a thumb that will need surgery this offseason, a shoulder that is a mess, and now an elbow that is bad. If only there was a way to reduce the chance of a player being injured so much.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Parlett316 posted:

KJ's mom and Javale's mom sitting courtside? I'm down.

I didn't even think about this!!

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Players individually benefit from PEDs because they can increase their relative value. Ownership benefits from players using PEDs because they get better players (obviously they want to maintain plausible deniability though). Players collectively suffer from PED use because of the presumable health effects, and players who wouldn't want to use steroids otherwise have to use them to maintain their relative value. So the appropriate body to monitor steroid use is actually the union itself and it should adopt a zero-tolerance policy.

Does the union have any authority to do that? What avenues could they have to enforce? I can't think of an analogous situation, it'd be like putting a union in charge of your OSHA program.

The union absolutely could establish a PED testing regimen that would stamp out use by NBA players. And yes it would possibly lead to better long term health for the athletes. Financially though, the union wouldn't go for it. I suspect PEDs are greatly extending the careers of players who would otherwise be ineffective/retired.

Might as well bring it all out in the open. The recovery methods that the athletes use could then more easily trickle down to the physical therapists treating non-athletes. If Steroids can keep a 40 year old MJ scoring 20+ a game, imagine what they could do for a regular person who just wants to walk normal after an injury.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

On one hand I was thinking the injury might give us a chance to see McBuckets play but in reality Thibs will just play Kirk 40 minutes a night for who knows what reason.

So Butler has a thumb that will need surgery this offseason, a shoulder that is a mess, and now an elbow that is bad. If only there was a way to reduce the chance of a player being injured so much.

That's bullshit and you loving know it. He ran into Deandre Jordan and had his arm in a bad position and ended up taking a screen poorly. That's not on Thibs and you know it.

Playing Hinrich so drat much though. Yeah that's on him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Oceanlife posted:

Might as well bring it all out in the open. The recovery methods that the athletes use could then more easily trickle down to the physical therapists treating non-athletes. If Steroids can keep a 40 year old MJ scoring 20+ a game, imagine what they could do for a regular person who just wants to walk normal after an injury.

This is done right now, its not like steroids haven't been used in physical therapy for decades. Its a combination of current performance vs future injury risk and money. The reason Aunt Sally isn't getting a similar regime after getting her knee replaced is not because of some sort of Social Stigma from Barry Bonds, its because they don't want to have her trade 5-10 years of health and have her require another knee replacement after that. Money is another part too, the US insurance and FDA system is royally hosed.

Having athletes be out in the open about PED usage would bring very little benefit to modern medicine and would mean AAU kids would be getting pamphlets from drug company reps.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Oceanlife posted:

The union absolutely could establish a PED testing regimen that would stamp out use by NBA players. And yes it would possibly lead to better long term health for the athletes. Financially though, the union wouldn't go for it. I suspect PEDs are greatly extending the careers of players who would otherwise be ineffective/retired.

If the union established a PED testing regime how would it work? Like if the union suspended Lebron I'd assume the league would be pissed and fight it, at least as much as they could within the confines placed by PR. Would the union have to collectively bargain the right to enforce its own PED testing?

As far as financial incentives go maybe current union membership would be against it I guess because everybody in the union wants to hold their spot as long as possible but that seems like a stretch over the whole membership. The players' portion of the basketball pie is fixed so if some guy has to retire earlier the players collectively don't lose any money.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

That's bullshit and you loving know it. He ran into Deandre Jordan and had his arm in a bad position and ended up taking a screen poorly. That's not on Thibs and you know it.

The more minutes you are on the court, the more chances you have of getting injured.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If the union established a PED testing regime how would it work? Like if the union suspended Lebron I'd assume the league would be pissed and fight it, at least as much as they could within the confines placed by PR. Would the union have to collectively bargain the right to enforce its own PED testing?

As far as financial incentives go maybe current union membership would be against it I guess because everybody in the union wants to hold their spot as long as possible but that seems like a stretch over the whole membership. The players' portion of the basketball pie is fixed so if some guy has to retire earlier the players collectively don't lose any money.

Well, current union membership is the only thing that matters since they are the only ones who vote.

quote:

The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) is the union for current professional basketball players in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

So if active players are against PED testing it will never happen from the NBAPA.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

The more minutes you are on the court, the more chances you have of getting injured.

Yeah, those like 10 minutes he was on the court before his injury were really stretching things out huh?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's been a year and a month since the Pacers waived Andrew Bynum and he disappeared into the ether

Wherever he is he's 27 now

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Pretty cool article about how SportsVU can be used to monitor defensive strategy with movement animations.

They have a section on a Hawks/Warriors possession and discuss how Anthony Davis affects the formation of opposing defenses.

quote:

Few NBA players are as challenging to guard as Anthony Davis. The Pelicans often run offensive sets where they get Davis the ball at or around the foul line. This offensive design puts one of the best offensive players in the game in a position where he has a plethora of options. If the defender gives Davis space, he can knock down the 15 ft jumper. If the defender plays tight, Davis can drive left or right. If the defense helps, Davis has the ball one quick pass from any perimeter shot, including the corner 3s. The situation is nothing short of a nightmare for defenses.

On February 16, I questioned, “How do the Pelicans generate so many open shots with so little ball movement.” The Pelicans have the least ball movement of any NBA team, but generate the 3rd highest percentage of open looks outside of 10 ft. All of the numbers suggest that while New Orleans doesn’t move the ball as much as other teams in total, they make meaningful passes. It appears that the team is able to exploit opposing defenses that are prioritizing defending attacks at the rim (from Evans and Davis most prominently).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Time posted:

Javale is going to Houston

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather have Joey, who is who they'd probably cut if they signed Javale

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I doubt anyone except me remembers the guy, but Christian Welp died at age 51. Heart attack. poo poo.

quote:

SEATTLE -- Christian Welp, the 7-foot German center who holds the University of Washington's career scoring record and played three seasons in the NBA, has died. He was 51.

The school confirmed the death Sunday. It didn't provide details.

Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar says Welp's passing is an "extremely sad loss."

Welp finished his Washington career in 1987 as the school's career leader in points, rebounding and blocks. He scored 2,073 points for the Huskies and was a three-time all-Pac-10 selection. Welp was the Pac-10 player of the year in 1986 and helped lead the Huskies to consecutive conference regular-season titles.

Welp was drafted No. 16 overall by the Philadelphia 76ers in 1987. He played two seasons with the 76ers and split the 1989-90 season with Golden State and San Antonio. Welp won nine championships in Europe after his NBA career ended.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*welp joke*

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

It's been a year and a month since the Pacers waived Andrew Bynum and he disappeared into the ether

Wherever he is he's 27 now

He was talking about signing with the Lakers in the summer but either the interest wasn't mutual or he changed his mind.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ross posted:

Kobe always seems a bit anti-social / "I'm just here so I don't get fined" kind of vibe when he's in interviews, Tonight Show, etc. I have a hard time seeing him at the Inside the NBA table or anything like that.

He was the guest co-host on the last Grantland Basketball Hour and it was a good watch.

That new movie about him that just came out on Showtime "Muse" was really good. Depressing, but good. The guy is pure basketball distilled.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Kibner posted:

Just stumbed on a big band version of "Roundball Rock". I love this song. :allears:

Who the hell is going to a John Tesh concert?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Yeah, those like 10 minutes he was on the court before his injury were really stretching things out huh?

He's playing 2 minutes more a game than any other player in the league. The more you're on the court, the more likely it is to sustain an injury. At some point when your team is ravaged with injuries at the end of every single season, maybe it's not bad luck.

I guess the good news for Paxson and company is they have a nice narrative for firing Thibs. That along with playing Kirk Hinrich minutes in 2015.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

pylb posted:

He's in some pretty elite company this season: http://bkref.com/tiny/ZxHPX

He has a player option for next season and can veto trades.

At least in years past you could argue his defense was the reason he played, but he's not even that good defensively anymore.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I blows my mind that Bynum is younger than me for some reason

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Nypost guy wrote in july that Bynum was strongly considering going to Germany for ReginoKine and sitting out the season, but there's no confirmation. I asked him on twitter but he didn't reply. The only other Bynum news was that Doc didn't want to sign him for the stretch run.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

He's playing 2 minutes more a game than any other player in the league. The more you're on the court, the more likely it is to sustain an injury. At some point when your team is ravaged with injuries at the end of every single season, maybe it's not bad luck.

I guess the good news for Paxson and company is they have a nice narrative for firing Thibs. That along with playing Kirk Hinrich minutes in 2015.

Tell me how a hyper extended elbow received because of a screen is an indictment on Thibs?

Also, Jimmy is the only one who's had that happen, and his injuries aren't the type of injuries you get due to playing time.

Everyone else on the team is sub 35 minutes with only Rose, and Gasol in the 31-34 range. Noah, and everyone else are 30 or less.

Thibs is right that at some point you have to play your loving players. This isn't the same Thibs who was playing Deng/Noah/Rose all 38-40 minutes a night.

This year Rose has his lowest MPG ever(besides last year where he only played like 5 games). Butler is playing 38(Same amount he played last year), and Noah is playing the fewest minutes he's played in probably 4-5 years.

This along with players not participating in practices due to various days off.

And players are still getting hurt. I have no clue how you could say this is anything but bad luck.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

NBA put out NBA OFFICIATING Last Two Minute Report for yesterday
http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/03/L2M-Mar1.pdf

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

Tell me how a hyper extended elbow received because of a screen is an indictment on Thibs?

Also, Jimmy is the only one who's had that happen, and his injuries aren't the type of injuries you get due to playing time.

Everyone else on the team is sub 35 minutes with only Rose, and Gasol in the 31-34 range. Noah, and everyone else are 30 or less.

Thibs is right that at some point you have to play your loving players. This isn't the same Thibs who was playing Deng/Noah/Rose all 38-40 minutes a night.

This year Rose has his lowest MPG ever(besides last year where he only played like 5 games). Butler is playing 38(Same amount he played last year), and Noah is playing the fewest minutes he's played in probably 4-5 years.

This along with players not participating in practices due to various days off.

And players are still getting hurt. I have no clue how you could say this is anything but bad luck.

Fatigue means reduced body control which means it's more likely that a player will be involved in an awkward collision. But it seems like Chicago needs a new training staff more than they need a new coach.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

hitze posted:

NBA put out NBA OFFICIATING Last Two Minute Report for yesterday
http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/03/L2M-Mar1.pdf

This is extremely cool and good. The transparency is refreshing. Plus having a video link for every instance is impressive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Igor Strelkov posted:

Fatigue means reduced body control which means it's more likely that a player will be involved in an awkward collision. But it seems like Chicago needs a new training staff more than they need a new coach.

Fair enough, but Jimmy Butler's injury literally happened like 3 minutes into the second quarter. Fatigue had nothing to do with it

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

These are REAL

http://www.nba.com/wizards/bhm-2015

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Looks like they took down the, pretty ill-advised I'd say, MLK Jr./Leonsis one.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Deus Rex posted:

Looks like they took down the, pretty ill-advised I'd say, MLK Jr./Leonsis one.

That masterpiece is still on Facebook

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Your monthly reminder that while MLK might have a dream, the Wizards have a nightmare.

I feel bad embedding this pic because if you couldn't handle a knee dent then this might make some of you jump off a building. Truly what nightmares are made of.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

The franchise has a history of horrifying mascots.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
That looks like a precursor to boner dad

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

Fair enough, but Jimmy Butler's injury literally happened like 3 minutes into the second quarter. Fatigue had nothing to do with it

Well fatigue isn't reset after the game ends, it builds up until there's adequate time to recover, it's like a sleep debt sort of.

I'm not saying that the injury is explicitly Thibs's fault, but the ongoing issue between management and Thibs is that the training staff says this player needs to rest, this player should only get x minutes, and he doesn't care. It's not 1985, we have a grasp on the relation between fatigue and bad biomechanics, lack of awareness, and injury.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would say the law of probabilities is probably not on Thibs' side anymore when it comes to injuries and wearing guys thin. I mean, Deng moves like he's 58.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bynum already went to Germany once when the Sixers owned his contract.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

24 year old all star center and the he never really played again. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m3 minutes ago
NBA just announced a one-game suspension for Houston's James Harden after his kick-out at LeBron James yesterday

Good work NBA.

• Locked thread