Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Bynum already went to Germany once when the Sixers owned his contract.

Oh cool thanks for the information. Maybe it will work and he'll come back next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe he's going for the other knee who knows.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Harden was just trying to even out the playing field by undoing some of those steroids LeBron is doing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Igor Strelkov posted:

Well fatigue isn't reset after the game ends, it builds up until there's adequate time to recover, it's like a sleep debt sort of.

I'm not saying that the injury is explicitly Thibs's fault, but the ongoing issue between management and Thibs is that the training staff says this player needs to rest, this player should only get x minutes, and he doesn't care. It's not 1985, we have a grasp on the relation between fatigue and bad biomechanics, lack of awareness, and injury.

There was a study done a few years ago in soccer that showed the more they played, the higher the frequency of injury there was. Not just chronic injuries, but acute one's too. Like the players who played twice a week as opposed to once were 6 times more likely to be injured.

Thibs is a cool coach for the regular season and you'll enjoy what he can get out of a team. But he'll never win poo poo the way he runs his best players into the ground. And even now his regular season magic is wearing off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Well fatigue isn't reset after the game ends, it builds up until there's adequate time to recover, it's like a sleep debt sort of.

I'm not saying that the injury is explicitly Thibs's fault, but the ongoing issue between management and Thibs is that the training staff says this player needs to rest, this player should only get x minutes, and he doesn't care. It's not 1985, we have a grasp on the relation between fatigue and bad biomechanics, lack of awareness, and injury.

He has literally been doing that though. Every single Player besides Jimmy Butler's minutes are down. Butler is only playing 2 more minutes per game than he should.

He abides by Rose's minutes limit, Noah's minute limits, whenever Gasol said he needed time off he listened.

Thibs has literally been doing exactly what management asked him to do this year and the same poo poo is happening. He's had maybe 2 games where he's kept longer than he needed to.

Niwrad posted:

There was a study done a few years ago in soccer that showed the more they played, the higher the frequency of injury there was. Not just chronic injuries, but acute one's too. Like the players who played twice a week as opposed to once were 6 times more likely to be injured.

Thibs is a cool coach for the regular season and you'll enjoy what he can get out of a team. But he'll never win poo poo the way he runs his best players into the ground. And even now his regular season magic is wearing off.

Also yeah, half game back from second in the east with a completely injury decimated roster. Regular season magic totally wearing off. The bulls are something like 19-5 or some stupid number when their starting 5 is intact.

Edit: Do I think the Bulls are as constructed able to build a title? Seeing the flaws on this team gently caress no. You are paying a 3rd of your cap to a player who can apperantly no long play at the level that would justify them recieving a third of your cap. No shots to Rose because injuries suck. But It's just a reality.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 3, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MourningView posted:

He's being doing a really huge media push lately and on the surface is making a big deal about being open and honst, but it still comes off as really calculated. Like he's extremely upfront about being an anit-social weirdo with no friends and how he views this as a personality defect, but he does in in that same way where dickheads who get asked about their biggest weakness in a job interview say that they work too hard or care too much. It comes off as just another way to talk about how hard he works. Which in his defense is absolutely true, but he tries to paint himself has being a lot more selfless than I think he actually is, and he's always going on and on about this all consuming desire to win a title over everything else, which definitely doesn't line up with large chunks of his career. There's also a ton of revisionist history where he tries to pretend that almost every bad thing he did in his career (like alienating all his teammates and running Shaq out of town back in the day) was part of some larger plan and for the good of the Lakers.

I agree with this 100% which makes me think he's setting himself up for some post-playing career (except it's not a dickhead thing to say your biggest weakness is working too much, that's a perfectly valid answer to an interview question smh).

Papercut posted:

The baseball players who didn't use potentially sacrificed tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars (just compare Griffey Jr's late career contracts to Bonds'). So yeah, no one has to do anything, but there is a ridiculously disproportionate incentive on one side of the decision compared to the other, especially if the players didn't have to fear punishment or stigma for using.
How do you know this? Steroids aren't like some magic homer juice where you just inject them and you're suddenly superman. PEDs could've helped with the nagging injuries that shortened his career. Alternately, they could've helped hasten his injuries from him overtraining. Or they could've had minimal impact.

And while they weren't legal, baseball sure as hell wasn't testing so they're wasn't any way you'd feasibly would be caught (which was why they were so rampant).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

He has literally been doing that though. Every single Player besides Jimmy Butler's minutes are down. Butler is only playing 2 more minutes per game than he should.

He abides by Rose's minutes limit, Noah's minute limits, whenever Gasol said he needed time off he listened.

Thibs has literally been doing exactly what management asked him to do this year and the same poo poo is happening. He's had maybe 2 games where he's kept longer than he needed to.

Also yeah, half game back from second in the east with a completely injury decimated roster. Regular season magic totally wearing off. The bulls are something like 19-5 or some stupid number when their starting 5 is intact.

Edit: Do I think the Bulls are as constructed able to build a title? Seeing the flaws on this team gently caress no. You are paying a 3rd of your cap to a player who can apperantly no long play at the level that would justify them recieving a third of your cap. No shots to Rose because injuries suck. But It's just a reality.

You're right about Noah and Rose, but Jimmy Butler has played 38.9 minutes per game, which is tops in the nba. The old man Pau Gasol is tied for 18th. At some point the damage is done, the minutes on Noah are there and won't be scrubbed away without stem cells and lots of rest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/avgMinutes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thibs will kill himself before he puts McDermott out there (probably because it turns out he is bad).

This is now Tony Snell's team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

You're right about Noah and Rose, but Jimmy Butler has played 38.9 minutes per game, which is tops in the nba. The old man Pau Gasol is tied for 18th. At some point the damage is done, the minutes on Noah are there and won't be scrubbed away without stem cells and lots of rest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/avgMinutes

There have been almost 350 player-seasons where players have played more than 38 minutes in the last 20 years, including some by coaches like Popovich, Carlisle, Jackson, etc. If you think playing a guy for 38 minutes is running him into the ground you literally think every coach who has ever won a championship runs their players into the ground.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I want to see Kirk Hinrich take drugs until he's Westbrook. Therefore, legalize all drugs.

Niwrad posted:

The more minutes you are on the court, the more chances you have of getting injured.

What's the maximum minutes a player should play then so the coach can be absolved of wrongdoing?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

I want to see Kirk Hinrich take drugs until he's Westbrook. Therefore, legalize all drugs.

What's the maximum minutes a player should play then so the coach can be absolved of wrongdoing?

That's an easy one. 1.5 standard deviations of a spurs starter

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

That's an easy one. 1.5 standard deviations of a spurs starter

Popovich's injuries to his team this year is proof that limiting minutes makes your players dangerously unfit for games and just inviting injury. When will he learn? At least this gives the front office ample opportunity to fire him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

They haven't been as decimated as people make them out to be (at least until now). Pretty much everyone has been healthy except Dunleavy over the past 2 months and they've been mediocre. Haven't looked anything like a contender at all despite the talent they have.

Lockback posted:

There have been almost 350 player-seasons where players have played more than 38 minutes in the last 20 years, including some by coaches like Popovich, Carlisle, Jackson, etc. If you think playing a guy for 38 minutes is running him into the ground you literally think every coach who has ever won a championship runs their players into the ground.

Last year's champion didn't have a single player average over 30 minutes a game and they ran circles around everyone in the playoffs. The 40 minute a night poo poo worked years ago but now that teams have gotten smarter it puts you at a huge disadvantage.

And the only reason Noah and Rose haven't played big minutes this year is because the front office had to step in and mandate a minute limit so Thibodeau wouldn't play 2 guys coming off major knee surgery 40 minutes a night.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

They haven't been as decimated as people make them out to be (at least until now). Pretty much everyone has been healthy except Dunleavy over the past 2 months and they've been mediocre. Haven't looked anything like a contender at all despite the talent they have.

Last year's champion didn't have a single player average over 30 minutes a game and they ran circles around everyone in the playoffs. The 40 minute a night poo poo worked years ago but now that teams have gotten smarter it puts you at a huge disadvantage.

And the only reason Noah and Rose haven't played big minutes this year is because the front office had to step in and mandate a minute limit so Thibodeau wouldn't play 2 guys coming off major knee surgery 40 minutes a night.

Rose has never played more than 37 minutes in a season for Thibs and under Thibs has averaged about 35, so I guess if we're just making up storylines it gets pretty easy....

Lockback fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 3, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Harden got suspended one day for kicking Lebron...

quote:

‏@Matt_Barnes22
BY THE WAY I GET FINNED 25k 4 KICKING A GATORADE CUP... LET ME KICK LEBON & THE @NBA WOULD TRY & PUT ME IN JAIL. #Bull$h!t

lmfao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This argument is wierd in that I don't think the Bulls are top of the league in injuries.

I mean Rose has been hurt a lot but to indict a coach based on a one player sample size is dumb.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
It'd be like indicting someone for one murder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It'd be like indicting someone for one murder.

If your evidence is he met the dude once yeah.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Rose has never played more than 37 minutes in a season for Thibs and under Thibs has averaged about 35, so I guess if we're just making up storylines it gets pretty easy....

He led all PGs in minutes his MVP year (played 125 more minutes than any other PG) and proceeded to turn to glass after that. Maybe playing a guy like Rose so much lead to his body breaking down in subsequent seasons?

And this doesn't even account for the fact he tore his ACL at a point in the game where he had no business being on the court.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

He led all PGs in minutes his MVP year (played 125 more minutes than any other PG) and proceeded to turn to glass after that. Maybe playing a guy like Rose so much lead to his body breaking down in subsequent seasons?

And this doesn't even account for the fact he tore his ACL at a point in the game where he had no business being on the court.

You seriously think playing a 22 year old 37 minutes per game was what destroyed his ACL???? Really? I can come up with a list of PGs who have played over 37mpg in 1 season and I am pretty sure that list will any good PG.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CharlestheHammer posted:

This argument is wierd in that I don't think the Bulls are top of the league in injuries.

I mean Rose has been hurt a lot but to indict a coach based on a one player sample size is dumb.

No one is doing that.

Lockback posted:

You seriously think playing a 22 year old 37 minutes per game was what destroyed his ACL???? Really? I can come up with a list of PGs who have played over 37mpg in 1 season and I am pretty sure that list will any good PG.

You're moving the goal posts. No one is saying that Thibs is the reason Rose is genetically predisposed to knee problems. We're saying that he plays his starters a lot, practices as hard as anyone in the league and that there have been real studies done that show these practices greatly contribute to injuries.

Deng's infection is a sign that their whole medical staff might have been hosed up, but I think they might have tried to fix it. I'm having a hard time binging any information..

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

No one is saying that Thibs is the reason Rose is genetically predisposed to knee problems

Niwrad posted:

Is there another way to read that? It sounds like Nirwad is linking Rose's knee injuiries to his minutes (which was less than seasons by CP3, Deron Williams, Kyrie this season, Lillard....)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thibs doesn't do scrimmages, so I'm not sure where you get the "practices are hard as anyone". Sam Smith and KC Johnson both say the opposite.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

He averaged 37 minutes over 81 games that season. Also played 41 minutes a game in 16 playoff games. It's just a lot of minutes for a PG with his style.

No one knows why Rose's ACL tore. Or why he had a bunch of other injuries that season despite never having injury issues in the past. It could just all be terrible luck. But studies have shown that the more you play, the more fatigued you are, and the more likely you are to get injured. Coaches who are resting players are guys like Popovich, Budenholzer, and Kerr. Now maybe they're all idiots and just needlessly resting players. But I think they're smart and I think they realize they can gain an advantage over coaches like Thibodeau.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bring back Scott Skiles.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://bkref.com/tiny/zVbHU

Man, They are ruining Dame.

Yeah It loving sucks that Rose's body is seemingly falling apart. But Up until the ACL injury Rose had had no notable injury issues whatsoever. And since the injury Rose had been playing significantly reduced minutes. Other than that. Rose really wasn't playing any more than pretty much any young elite guard in the NBA plays.

Sorry Thibs couldn't predict the future. But those are the kinda minutes that your best player plays.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
I feel like if there's any reason to get rid of Thibbs, its his loving Kirk Hinrich obsession

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sd6 posted:

I feel like if there's any reason to get rid of Thibbs, its his loving Kirk Hinrich obsession

That's a mutual love between GarPax and Thibs. The only thing they can both agree on is their love of Kirk Hinrich.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Is there another way to read that? It sounds like Nirwad is linking Rose's knee injuiries to his minutes (which was less than seasons by CP3, Deron Williams, Kyrie this season, Lillard....)

Paul has never played as many minutes in a season as Rose. He hasn't really come close. And after his two big minute seasons in New Orleans, he proceeded to suffer a serious knee injury the following season.

As for Deron Williams, he's also never played as many minutes as Rose did in a season. But he has played big minute seasons and he's also got two busted ankles and is a shell of what he was. Not sure how that helps your argument.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

GreenNight posted:

Thibs doesn't do scrimmages, so I'm not sure where you get the "practices are hard as anyone". Sam Smith and KC Johnson both say the opposite.
Sam Smith works for the team so I'm not sure that I trust his word over players

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/richard-hamilton-on-playing-for-tom-thibodeau---practice-was-tough-181655127.html

"When I played there, practice was tough," said Hamilton, who spent two seasons with the Bulls from 2011-13. "I never experienced anything like that until I actually got to Chicago. It's well-documented that practices are a little too long, they're a little too hard and things like that.
"So if you want Derrick [Rose] (healthy) for the whole year, you've got to protect him. You've got to protect his body. When you know it's game time, 'You know what? We're not going to play him 35, 40 minutes a game. It might be 20 minutes a game.'”

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-01/sports/ct-spt-1002-bulls-chicago-20131002_1_tom-thibodeau-heavy-minutes-gar-forman
This says they scrimmage, that could have changed by now, though.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Sorry Thibs couldn't predict the future. But those are the kinda minutes that your best player plays.

So is Pop being dumb? What about Kerr and Budenholzer? These coaches obviously think minute management matters. Someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong on this.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Dexo posted:

http://bkref.com/tiny/zVbHU

Man, They are ruining Dame.

Yeah It loving sucks that Rose's body is seemingly falling apart. But Up until the ACL injury Rose had had no notable injury issues whatsoever. And since the injury Rose had been playing significantly reduced minutes. Other than that. Rose really wasn't playing any more than pretty much any young elite guard in the NBA plays.

For a guy that jumps as much as Rose does you probably don't want to continually put him out there when he's exhausted. It could lead to a serious injury.

Westbrook is another guy I don't think you really want to give extremely heavy minutes to.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

?

???

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Paul has never played as many minutes in a season as Rose. He hasn't really come close. And after his two big minute seasons in New Orleans, he proceeded to suffer a serious knee injury the following season.

As for Deron Williams, he's also never played as many minutes as Rose did in a season. But he has played big minute seasons and he's also got two busted ankles and is a shell of what he was. Not sure how that helps your argument.

SVG played Rose a whopping 26 minutes less than Thibs did, so its hardly a Thibs thing.

So your point is if you play a player for 3000 minutes you are wearing them out? and a bad coach? That is the dumbest thing in the world. Very nearly every single elite player has played that many minutes. I don't know what to say.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

So is Pop being dumb? What about Kerr and Budenholzer? These coaches obviously think minute management matters. Someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong on this.

Pop has played Duncan 3000+ minutes per season until he was 26. By your logic, isn't that wearing him out and he should expect knee problems?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Hot Hand ignition device.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Minute management is important but sometimes things just happen. Both Noah's and Deng's injuries can likely be correlated with the mileage they have but who knows with Rose. Some people are just brittle.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Derek Rose is 30+ now? Oh Ok. Good to know.

Pop only changed his minutes because his team got old as gently caress. Pop ran dudes harder than Thibs has for most of his career and only changed because his players are old as loving dirt.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Bashez posted:

For a guy that jumps as much as Rose does you probably don't want to continually put him out there when he's exhausted. It could lead to a serious injury.

Westbrook is another guy I don't think you really want to give extremely heavy minutes to.

Westbrook played his first 5 seasons without mising a game and was around 35MPG each year; him playing heavy minutes hasn't seemed like it caused injuries, so he's not a great example for you here. However, other players definitely seem like they should play fewer minutes to mitigate fatigue. It's almost like every athletes body is different, and it's not a simple, black and white, right or wrong between coaches like Popovich and coaches like Thibs :shrug:

I guess they're keeping their hands warm while on the bench? Tho the Detroit guy should know that fingered gloves aren't nearly as effective as fingerless mittens in terms of warmth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I will give you he played Noah way too many minutes when Noah was dealing with his foot problems. But that year they had absolutely no loving Big Depth. Gibson was the only NBA caliber player they had at the position.

• Locked thread