Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It's march and the campaign to be the biggest party in a coalition is well under way. Here's a poll

No ones looking like they'll be able to do anything other then form another coalition they'll probably be even shitter then the one we have now

Leaders debates are looming and the media is going mental over the leaders of the 2 relative newcomers to the big stage who've been kick off their parties election campaigns.

Nigel 'our nige' Farage

The leader of UKIP kicked off their campign by giving a speech to an empty room in the united states while a bunch of swastika clad hotties danced outside the entrance to the party conference

Natalie 'cough cough' Bennett

Natalie stormed to the gren party leadership with a grand total of 728 votes and is currently doing her best to destroy the good work the party has done in becoming one of the bigger players in terms of membership. She spent last week launching a manifesto that apparently doesnt exist yet which makes her inability to answer even basic questions on it less suprising. Is also australian.

Other poo poo that is going down like right now:
- Jihadi John, radicalised british teen or terrorist immigrant?
- Devomanc, local council gets 6bn healthcare budget without any evidence or consulation on whether or not it's a goot thing
- #thedress
- Argies, cruising for another bruising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I rarely read this thread but I like the reference in the title.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
Here is a thing if you like colourful lines: Election 2015: The Guardian poll projection

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Natalie Bennett is horseshit and the Green party should get rid of her now. She must walk.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
She did better on Any Questions. Still nothing on Caroline Lucas or Patrick Harvie though.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'd have a crack at Green Party press conferences if they can't; find anyone better than Bennet.

It'd be a laugh.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Were all the times Nigel hosed up in interviews given this much attention? Genuinely can't remember.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

ThomasPaine posted:

She did better on Any Questions. Still nothing on Caroline Lucas or Patrick Harvie though.

Patrick Harvie is an excellent choice, been ages since we've had a bald and specky bastard as Prime Minister. Would love it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Were all the times Nigel hosed up in interviews given this much attention? Genuinely can't remember.

Why would you want UKIP to have a more competent leader?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Has Nige ever been stunned into silence? I thought he just did what all politicians normally do when they get questions they can't answer, which is bluster and repeat barely-related talking points.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Why would you want UKIP to have a more competent leader?

I love death.

Kegluneq posted:

Has Nige ever been stunned into silence? I thought he just did what all politicians normally do when they get questions they can't answer, which is bluster and repeat barely-related talking points.

He's been utterly decimated on LRT a couple times. Never shut up though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's been utterly decimated on LRT a couple times. Never shut up though.

I'm afraid that might make demonstrate he's a more effective politician than Natalie Bennett.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The greens are a massive joke and its going to be cool at the debates when someone asks Natalie Bennett why people from the UK should vote for an aussie

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

Natalie Bennett is horseshit and the Green party should get rid of her now. She must walk.

It really doesn't help her that the party constitution is basically that the leadership have to support whatever's ratified by the party membership, which is a nice thing in some regards, but also gives the impression of her being an empty vessel bobbing along on a river of poo poo and not being able to give coherent defences of significant chunks of her own political platform.

Like the times when Caroline Lucas said that homeopathy was super fun and good right up until the Green party decided to abandon any specific references to alternative medicine, at which point she deleted everything mentioning it and pretended it was never a thing in the first place. Which I'm sure is exactly what Nye Bevan would have done in the same situation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

The greens are a massive joke and its going to be cool at the debates when someone asks Natalie Bennett why people from the UK should vote for an aussie
Did anyone try that in reverse with Tony Abbott?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's march and the campaign to be the biggest party in a coalition is well under way. Here's a poll

lmao the Lib Dems

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It really doesn't help her that the party constitution is basically that the leadership have to support whatever's ratified by the party membership, which is a nice thing in some regards, but also gives the impression of her being an empty vessel bobbing along on a river of poo poo and not being able to give coherent defences of significant chunks of her own political platform.

Like the times when Caroline Lucas said that homeopathy was super fun and good right up until the Green party decided to abandon any specific references to alternative medicine, at which point she deleted everything mentioning it and pretended it was never a thing in the first place. Which I'm sure is exactly what Nye Bevan would have done in the same situation.

I get the feeling that everyone who was getting excited about the Lib Dems last election have transferred their emotions to the Greens.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Totally agree that the Scottish Greens should take over leadership of the UK Green movement.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

I get the feeling that everyone who was getting excited about the Lib Dems last election have transferred their emotions to the Greens.

This is true.

However, Nick Clegg could at least go to the debates and tell convincing lies based around an ideology. With Natalie Bennett I'd propose a drinking game where every time she's asked to justify the basis for a Green policy (look out for the one about not sending women to prison any more getting a lot of play) and she responds that it's "democratically chosen" instead of actually making a case for it, you drink a full shot of lighter fluid and then eventually immolate yourself rather than be forced to vote for any of these people.

Amused to Death posted:

lmao the Lib Dems

Tbf they probably won't do as badly as a national poll makes them look.

I'd doubt that Lib Dems that are popular and in relatively safe seats are going to get Portillo'd, they're just going to lose their deposit everywhere else as the idealogues go Green and the tactical voters go Labour.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Jose posted:

List of nationalities that are allowed to vote in General Elections.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Caroline Lucas is a filthy scab who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the leadership of a left leaning party.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'd doubt that Lib Dems that are popular and in relatively safe seats are going to get Portillo'd, they're just going to lose their deposit everywhere else as the idealogues go Green and the tactical voters go Labour.

Not up here in Scotland, where polls suggest they could end up with a massive 0 seats. That's not likely, but it even being in the realm of possibility seems pretty seismic to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

At least the last time someone who successfully won the election in a country they weren't from in Europe they were charismatic and capable of public speaking

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Caroline Lucas is a filthy scab who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the leadership of a left leaning party.

Wait, what's this now?

Jose, nationality shouldn't matter, if they can make the case to the people they should as valid a choice for a party leadership position (or as an MP, or a PM, or President or what have you in other systems) as anyone else.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait, what's this now?

Jose, nationality shouldn't matter, if they can make the case to the people they should as valid a choice for a party leadership position (or as an MP, or a PM, or President or what have you in other systems) as anyone else.

He was making a Hitler joke

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was in Cardiff earlier today and saw the Chinese dragon/procession outside a Chinese restaurant. I guess this is some sort of Chinese style tribute to St David's Day since Chinese New Year was several weeks ago,

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

At least the last time someone who successfully won the election in a country they weren't from in Europe they were charismatic and capable of public speaking

You mean current French prime minister, Manuel Valls?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

vegetables posted:

Not up here in Scotland, where polls suggest they could end up with a massive 0 seats. That's not likely, but it even being in the realm of possibility seems pretty seismic to me.

Yeah, Alistair Carmichael could take a poo poo on the steps of St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and still be returned as MP for Orkney and Shetland. So that's one seat they've got going for them.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Yeah, Alistair Carmichael could take a poo poo on the steps of St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and still be returned as MP for Orkney and Shetland. So that's one seat they've got going for them.

I think the thing l I was looking at gave them only a 52% chance of winning there; I imagine this might imply said thing wasn't a very credible source.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

vegetables posted:

I think the thing l I was looking at gave them only a 52% chance of winning there; I imagine this might imply said thing wasn't a very credible source.

Electoral Calculus? For a long time, they thought UKIP would get 17% in Cambridge; they pretty much apply the swing model in the worst possible way.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Labour or the Tories lost their deposit in O&S; they were both on 10% in 2010.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He was making a Hitler joke

So he was. Consider me a fool, if you don't already.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Jose posted:

Eh, for all her myriad of faults I really don't want Bennett to be criticised for this. Even if we're citizens of different countries we're still subjects of the same Queen.

Besides, we've already had a non-British PM, and a Tory one at that - Andrew Bonar Law.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In an election with UKIP its going to be a thing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

In an election with UKIP its going to be a thing

I thought the kippers admired Aus "stop the boats" trailia

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

I thought the kippers admired Aus "stop the boats" trailia

Yes, when they're doing it in Australia where they belong

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Farage could definitely use her nationality against her, because he's that sort of politician.

All any decent party leader would need to do to have her collapse (perhaps literally) is ask her to articulate her policies so we understand them. The fact that Farage hasn't got any policies means he'll have to aim lower.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I know, daring to help local residents pick up dirty nappies and broken glass from their road - monstrous behaviour!

It's worth reading the whole page, as it's relatively thoughtful but:

quote:

And as an MP with a strong track record on defending workers rights, I have joined workers on the picket line and am doing my utmost to put pressure on all sides to reach a fair resolution. I also have a responsibility as MP to represent all my constituents and, as a local resident, I have firsthand experience of the damage caused by each day of this dispute.

That’s why, earlier this week, I joined a small group of residents to help bag up some of the nappies and broken glass on their street. For me, this is community activism, and sits squarely with my support for those taking action to secure a fair income. And yet I have been attacked for supporting these neighbours who wanted to make their street safer.

Residents planning similar tidy ups have come under enormous pressure to cancel them on the grounds that they are undermining strike action.I disagree, not least because these voluntary cleanups do not in any way replicate the crucial and skilled work usually undertaken by refuse workers.

I have given my support to the Cityclean staff objectively and thoughtfully, because I think they are right - not because of loyalty to an ideology or because their union holds any sway over me. That decision does not bind me in any way and nor does it preclude me from taking other action that I believe to be right, such as standing up for the reasonable rights of all my constituents.

As a public servant that is my duty.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Prince John posted:

I know, daring to help local residents pick up dirty nappies and broken glass from their road - monstrous behaviour!

It's worth reading the whole page, as it's relatively thoughtful but:
She's also an advocate for the Nordic model so she's capable of being bloody stupid at times. I'm not really sure what the relevance of her having picked up some rubbish is with regards to her policies and beliefs as a whole though.

Edit: whoops, I'm an idiot. I can see where the criticism came from there but I'm not sure it qualifies her for full scab status; she wasn't paid at least.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

She's also an advocate for the Nordic model so she's capable of being bloody stupid at times. I'm not really sure what the relevance of her having picked up some rubbish is with regards to her policies and beliefs as a whole though.

The Greens are losing a lot of credibility with LGBT voters too due to influential Greens coming out in favour of transphobic dogwhistles too. Which really loving annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

Anne Hidalgo?

• Locked thread