Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What is the appeal of Maoism, anyway? I mostly hear it described as 'Marxism-Leninism with more focus on agriculture', but Mao was famously poo poo at agriculture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Zephro posted:

"Hard working families", "wealth creators" and "A Britain fair for all" are memes just like doge is. We're already living the nightmare :cthulhu:

Given a choice of Doge and "Long term economic plan", I think the choice is obvious.

the answer is to strangle anyone who uses either of them

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

What is the appeal of Maoism, anyway? I mostly hear it described as 'Marxism-Leninism with more focus on agriculture', but Mao was famously poo poo at agriculture.

Conquering all of china is pretty impressive. They also had great propaganda style and had a weird populism in their governing style which avoided a lot of the presentation of the USSR as repressive and boring.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

baka kaba posted:

You know they'll get some votes purely for that

gently caress I just had a nightmare vision of election campaigns run solely through memes

Lib dems suck XD. Original work do not steal.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

winegums posted:

Original work do not steal.

I don't think you get memes....

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Darth Walrus posted:

It's like Marxist-Leninism but peasant friendlier. In practice, it shits on them even more.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PiCroft posted:

Given a choice of Doge and "Long term economic plan", I think the choice is obvious.

the answer is to strangle anyone who uses either of them

the only economic plans worth mentioning are plans for the next half decade

i like to call them
five-year plans

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, if you see anyone insist the correct term is "Marxism-Leninism-Maoism", you know they're pretentious as gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I prefer Moism. It makes me moist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is it too late to demand Full Luddism Now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Cancel your SA account and smash your computer. Be the change you want to see in the world.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Its the obscure alternative to mainstream Marxism-Leninism that your friends probably don't know anything about

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

maoism.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay-97T_V8rU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Dabir posted:

Only if I declare my self a true leveller.

gently caress it- the diggers had the right idea.

The power of enclosing land and owning property was brought into the creation by your ancestors by the sword; which first did murder their fellow creatures, men, and after plunder or steal away their land, and left this land successively to you, their children. And therefore, though you did not kill or thieve, yet you hold that cursed thing in your hand by the power of the sword; and so you justify the wicked deeds of your fathers, and that sin of your fathers shall be visited upon the head of you and your children to the third and fourth generation, and longer too, till your bloody and thieving power be rooted out of the land

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

That man is not very good at speaking.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zephro posted:

Any party that isn't Labour, the Tories or the Lib Dems is a joke because FPTP gives them no reason to aim at competency. It's the worst system.

Before the last election people would have said the same of the Lib Dems, though.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5RAvDZZyCI

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42i88rcrzRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_4mrGYuRg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darth Walrus posted:

They like the idea of killing tens of millions of people largely through incompetence

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

General China posted:

Only if I declare my self a true leveller.

gently caress it- the diggers had the right idea.

The power of enclosing land and owning property was brought into the creation by your ancestors by the sword; which first did murder their fellow creatures, men, and after plunder or steal away their land, and left this land successively to you, their children. And therefore, though you did not kill or thieve, yet you hold that cursed thing in your hand by the power of the sword; and so you justify the wicked deeds of your fathers, and that sin of your fathers shall be visited upon the head of you and your children to the third and fourth generation, and longer too, till your bloody and thieving power be rooted out of the land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA4FTIz2Zrw

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So Labour have come out in support of the Saatchi Bill.

There isn't a :negative: big enough.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 3, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

Wow, I was completely unaware of this bill. Thanks for posting.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TinTower posted:

Welp time to resign my membership

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prince John posted:

Wow, I was completely unaware of this bill. Thanks for posting.

This. It sounds atrocious

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wait, is this is a bill that would give idiot doctors the ability to prescribe homoeopathy as a treatment for cancer on the nhs?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I'm not sure what's wrong with that Bill, but I only skimmed those articles.

It looks like it's intended to allow experimental treatments to be tried on otherwise terminal patients, which sounds like a good idea to me :confused:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The bill doesn't specify terminal illnesses

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but I remember reading in late 2014 that the Tories were going to have a draft for their proposed Bill of British Rights "before Christmas". I'm currently writing a paper on Human Rights protection in Europe and the relationship of various countries with the ECHR, but haven't been able to check up on the British side of things since my exams. I'm currently trying to find this draft but all I can find are either news articles from October/November mentioning the Tories promising this draft, or other stuff from 2012 and so on.

So did the Tories actually have any draft ready by now or will a politician's lies jeopardize my paper?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pasco posted:

I'm not sure what's wrong with that Bill, but I only skimmed those articles.

It looks like it's intended to allow experimental treatments to be tried on otherwise terminal patients, which sounds like a good idea to me :confused:

It also (poorly) protects doctors from being sued for malpractice, on the (false) premise that the threat of this stops innovative treatments now. It also seems to actively encourage quackery by lowering the standards for consultation considerably.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 3, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pasco posted:

What Jose said but also doctors are already allowed to do this to a degree - it's common to administer treatments in a trial state when conventional options have been exhausted (with patient consent, of course).

The bill attempts to fix something that isn't broken; responsible innovation in treatment is already a-ok. What it does mean is that patients/families lose the scope to bring malpractice suits when irresponsible innovation is undertaken

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Wait, is this is a bill that would give idiot doctors the ability to prescribe homoeopathy as a treatment for cancer on the nhs?

Yep I can to up to a colleague say I'm going to do exactly that and even if they call me everything under the sun and say I'm going to kill the patient I'd be immune from prosecution so long as I wrote down what they said in the notes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It also makes it much easier for a doctor to test whatever they want from the looks of it since they only need to consult 1 other doctor about it

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jose posted:

It also makes it much easier for a doctor to test whatever they want from the looks of it since they only need to consult 1 other doctor about it

They don't even need to describe the case in detail, which sounds recklessly irresponsible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

The bill doesn't specify terminal illnesses

Don't worry, they'll be terminal by the time alternative therapists have finished.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was going to ask how any legislator could think it would be a good idea, and then the word 'LOBBYING' appeared in front of my eyes in 72-point Comic Sans.

Remind me why the government haven't curbed lobbying yet?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

kingturnip posted:

Because we haven't abolished capitalism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

namesake posted:

Conquering all of china is pretty impressive.

Hundreds of millions dead, 'impressive'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kingturnip posted:

I was going to ask how any legislator could think it would be a good idea, and then the word 'LOBBYING' appeared in front of my eyes in 72-point Comic Sans.

Because they were lobbied not to.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Nonsense posted:

Hundreds of millions dead, 'impressive'.

Meh, the Roman empire was 'impressive', the British empire was 'impressive'. It's not a moral question of whether it was 'good' or not, just an acknowledgement of the remarkable accomplishment due to the size of the territories involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Impressive: Trident ballistic nuclear missiles. Not impressive: The Scottish economy.

• Locked thread