Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

also lolling at people running out to buy a home because a life may or may not occur a few years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
i'm renting a house right now. It's pretty cool. I'm in a two year lease that ends in 2016, and I've been saving for a home for a while, so it seems cool to buy one. I like houses over apartments. As far as planning for kids: idk, she has an odd goal to have one before she's thirty, but you can't really plan these things. I want kids some day, and they'll probably have to go to school. I don't think about that that often, but it's something to consider.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

It it wasn't "The Geography of Nowhere" then it must have been a book just like it.

thank you, i think that was actually it. very pro read

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

very pro read

Tru dat

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Three Olives posted:

Doubtful, the suburbs are a well understood WWII/Racist likely one time event, it's pretty much unique globally on it's scale. If you want to take your chances you better live in a transit village.

Am I racist if everyone in my little suburb is mostly not white? Guess so.

Rent in Denver, if you want to live anywhere that isn't a hellhole is close to 1000 or more a month for a 700 sqft 1 bdrm.
I bought my house for 167k 5 years ago, just refinanced a few months ago and the house appraised for 205k.
I pay 1300 a month. Tell me I'm better off renting a place 1/3 the size, with no garage, and making someone else rich.

Now, along the same lines. My mortgage is 3.5% interest. Meanwhile my savings are making over 6% tax free in an account that I have full access to if I ever need the money with no penalties.
Some of you people really, really need to learn how finance works.

Also, while we're whining about "subsidizing homes" lets talk about all the idiotic tax credits people get for spitting out more stupid children.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

quote:

Meanwhile my savings are making over 6% tax free in an account that I have full access to if I ever need the money with no penalties.

What account is this? I assume Roth IRA

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone paying for housing is a sucker. You know they have shelters you can stay in FOR FREE right?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's already a huge problem. America's infrastructure is literally crumbling, bridges falling down and people's reaction is to shout "don't you loving dare raise the gas tax or my property taxes I'm taxed to death!!!".

There are some sewer systems in my city that are civil war era installs, and they regularly collapse and make the roads buckle and have to close while they're fixed. People are angry that the sewer commission is trying to sell bonds to fix it.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Well we ARE taxed to death. Spend money on infrastructure sure, not entitlements for poor people. The government is supposed to do the bare minimum and stay out of the way. Instead they try to do everything and then complain once they've depleted the budget that none of the big ticket work like bridge repair got done.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Well we ARE taxed to death. Spend money on infrastructure sure, not entitlements for poor people. The government is supposed to do the bare minimum and stay out of the way. Instead they try to do everything and then complain once they've depleted the budget that none of the big ticket work like bridge repair got done.

Actually growth initially was subsidized by new construction - the federal government funds a project in a new town, gives money to build things like sewers and bridges, and then says "okay, you're set" and that's all they do. This works great for a long time, until that infrastructure finishes a lifecycle phase, and needs to be maintained. All of a sudden there's no more federal government funding you, since you aren't "new growth" any more, and the liability costs way more to maintain than the revenue your town is bringing in. It's basically a big ponzi scheme where things look okay as long as places keep growing but once they stop they are hosed.

http://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/ cool article series

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Haha there are no curbs in the suburbs

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

MrChupon posted:

Haha there are no curbs in the suburbs

Honestly they should just get rid of the sidewalks in the suburbs too, who loving walks in the suburbs?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The mortgage tax deduction is also way more than the difference in costs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I own two houses. One of them is paid for by renters (and puts $600 in profit in my pocket every month), and eventually I will own it without actually having to dip into my "own" money (other than the down payment). My primary residence was purchased in 2009 for 67% less than what it sold for in 2007. I pay 3.5% interest on it. Oh yeah, the government also gave me $8,000 for free. Please tell me what a financial fool I am.

The only downside is that tenants are annoying as gently caress.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

The mortgage tax deduction is also way more than the difference in costs.

Again this is a huge blanket statement that probably doesn't even apply in most of the markets in America (ie not in cities)

Where I live, it's basically no difference in cost between renting and the mortgage on a similar size house. I mean there's insurance, taxes, etc but that's cancelled out by equity accumulation and the appreciation of the property.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I looked up house prices in LA last night and even lovely properties in the "urban" areas are pushing 550k lmao I'll never own a house

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Leon Einstein posted:

I own two houses. One of them is paid for by renters (and puts $600 in profit in my pocket every month), and eventually I will own it without actually having to dip into my "own" money (other than the down payment). My primary residence was purchased in 2009 for 67% less than what it sold for in 2007. I pay 3.5% interest on it. Oh yeah, the government also gave me $8,000 for free. Please tell me what a financial fool I am.

The only downside is that tenants are annoying as gently caress.

Sup 8000 dollar free money buddy.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like real estate markets are different from each other even in the same tiny country like the USA and every situation should be evaluated separately to see if it's actually a dumb financial decision or not...

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

veedubfreak posted:

Am I racist if everyone in my little suburb is mostly not white? Guess so.

Rent in Denver, if you want to live anywhere that isn't a hellhole is close to 1000 or more a month for a 700 sqft 1 bdrm.
I bought my house for 167k 5 years ago, just refinanced a few months ago and the house appraised for 205k.
I pay 1300 a month. Tell me I'm better off renting a place 1/3 the size, with no garage, and making someone else rich.

Now, along the same lines. My mortgage is 3.5% interest. Meanwhile my savings are making over 6% tax free in an account that I have full access to if I ever need the money with no penalties.
Some of you people really, really need to learn how finance works.

Also, while we're whining about "subsidizing homes" lets talk about all the idiotic tax credits people get for spitting out more stupid children.

You're not being efficient enough and you're destroying the environment you dont need a garage we have these things called "busses" and you're wasting too much space with that house all you need is a 400 square foot concrete walled room in a communal apartment block you bourgeois pig stop wasting resources

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hey guess what? The buy vs rent debate is highly locale-specific and is dependent on a person's specific needs. It can make sense either way depending on a huge number of factors.

So both sides stfu.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you live in Japan you should buy. Japanese home ownership is insanely cheap, their prices haven't recovered since their bubble crashed in like the 90's. But it's actually pretty nice, because housing is something everyone needs and it being cheap is actually a public good. It's like people getting excited that the price of bread is going way up. It's a cost of living, keeping it low is good unless you've turned the bread industry mostly into a stupid "investment" vehicle rather than a a thing you need to live.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Actually growth initially was subsidized by new construction - the federal government funds a project in a new town, gives money to build things like sewers and bridges, and then says "okay, you're set" and that's all they do. This works great for a long time, until that infrastructure finishes a lifecycle phase, and needs to be maintained. All of a sudden there's no more federal government funding you, since you aren't "new growth" any more, and the liability costs way more to maintain than the revenue your town is bringing in. It's basically a big ponzi scheme where things look okay as long as places keep growing but once they stop they are hosed.

http://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/ cool article series

Thank you I didn't know about this. It's a pretty drat stupid way of doing things, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Thank you I didn't know about this. It's a pretty drat stupid way of doing things, admittedly.

Yes, the America Way.

• Locked thread