Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I approve of falling back, but those bluecoats are coming at Heth's division strong...I don't think he'll last without immediate support.

Pender's division needs to hit that Union left flank and hit it now. Have Scales and Lane focus on the infantry while Perrin marches slightly around and behind the union left and attack that artillery directly.

Covski, do defending brigades in town suffer any penalties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Not as far as I know - being in a town provides a brigade with quite decent cover. If there are any hidden effects, I'm not aware of them.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
This is why I said we should wait for Ewell. Three brigades isn't enough to dislodge those Union troops on Cemetary even if they hit them in the flank. Heth needs to withdraw to Gettysburg, wait for Ewell, reengage from the front, and then Scales, Lane, and Perrin can make it across the valley without trouble and blow up the back of their line.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I'm all for waiting till my guys get on the field for any offensive action but there is 5-6 enemy brigades so far marching at Heth, who has already taken more losses than given and really isn't in a better defensive position beyond what the town can offer. Add to that only two of his brigades are up front and theyre going to take the brunt of the attack till his other troops line up. And I think the enemy is too close for his whole division to do an about face and march the other way.

BUT I've reconsidered a flanking attack by Pender. Perhaps he should march his troops up and join Heth's line and help him defend there?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Soooo Draw back into the town and hold the line until our reinforcements arrive. Given they're so densely packed can we shell their lines while we defend?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

By the way, remember back at the end of the first phase when I showed you this picture:

At the time, I thought the number of Union losses were erroneous since we were only credited with around 3000 kills. However, I ran some tests and it turns out that any brigade that is routed off the field is considered combat ineffective and will not be present for the rest of the battle. This means that we would normally be facing at least three more Union brigades at this point: From the top of my mind, at least the Iron Brigade, Cutler's brigade and the Bucktail brigade are out of the fight. In all honesty this seems a bit wonky to me, but I'm going to assume it's WAD. Not to encourage any recklessness, but it seems we are even more ahead of the historical curve than we first thought!

I'll edit the older posts to reflect this later on.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We should already have already been shelling them. However, our shells will become more effective as the enemy get closer.

I'm alright with retreating if it pulls the union army off the hill. We should pull back Heth's division so all our brigades are protected and try to get a few volleys at them while they are still exposed. Once the union are in Gettysburg itself, everyone will have the cover bonus, so casualties will be low.

Roman Reigns posted:

I'm all for waiting till my guys get on the field for any offensive action but there is 5-6 enemy brigades so far marching at Heth, who has already taken more losses than given and really isn't in a better defensive position beyond what the town can offer. Add to that only two of his brigades are up front and theyre going to take the brunt of the attack till his other troops line up. And I think the enemy is too close for his whole division to do an about face and march the other way.

BUT I've reconsidered a flanking attack by Pender. Perhaps he should march his troops up and join Heth's line and help him defend there?

The Union on the ridge has about 9000 men, so I don't believe that there's more than one or two brigades left. I think at least one is probably at Culp's hill still.

tatankatonk posted:

This is why I said we should wait for Ewell. Three brigades isn't enough to dislodge those Union troops on Cemetary even if they hit them in the flank. Heth needs to withdraw to Gettysburg, wait for Ewell, reengage from the front, and then Scales, Lane, and Perrin can make it across the valley without trouble and blow up the back of their line.

Have you considered marching to approach from the south? there are farms and copses to cover your approach, the hill is less steep, and the artillery will have to turn around to fire on you, which takes time, and splitting their artillery will help out the other units.

Covski, what happenned to Hall's artillery battery (attacked by archer brigade) Retreated? Destroyed?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2015

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
That was always one of my problems with Sid Meier's Gettysburg when you ran longer scenairos. You would rout a unit off into the fog of war. Then 2-3 hours later it would suddenly appear out of the woods fresh as a daisy and slam into your cannons from the rear flank.

One of the more interesting things is the idea of the Confederates winning the battle too quickly. If the Federals are simply driven off the field at the end of the first day and are in decent shape, then Gettysburg just becomes a footnote battle in history. There isn't really anything there to force the Federals to carry on the battle if the Rebels are holding both major ridge lines in the area.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Was thinking something like this. That way if the Yankee's attack from any particular direction they're automatically being flanked.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

We should already have already been shelling them. However, our shells will become more effective as the enemy get closer.

Yup, all our batteries have been putting fire on the enemy for the entire turn. As I've mentioned, long range fire won't cause a lot of casualties and is more effective at damaging enemy morale. Remaining stationary and in cover goes a long way towards negating its effects though.

Jaguars! posted:

Covski, what happenned to Hall's artillery battery (attacked by archer brigade) Retreated? Destroyed?

Given that we hit them hard back in the first part of the battle and considering the damage we did to them now, I think it's safe to assume that they are routed or at least won't be a serious threat anymore.

syzpid posted:

That was always one of my problems with Sid Meier's Gettysburg when you ran longer scenarios. You would rout a unit off into the fog of war. Then 2-3 hours later it would suddenly appear out of the woods fresh as a daisy and slam into your cannons from the rear flank.

Yeah, this game is a lot better at simulating persistent damage to the combat effectiveness of. brigades. Still it feels a bit weird to me that a brigade can be counted as being destroyed entirely by routing off the map, when it could have been able to recover and be fit for fight again if they had stopped just short of the edge. Although there may be some other calculations that determine when this happens that I'm not aware of.

syzpid posted:

One of the more interesting things is the idea of the Confederates winning the battle too quickly. If the Federals are simply driven off the field at the end of the first day and are in decent shape, then Gettysburg just becomes a footnote battle in history. There isn't really anything there to force the Federals to carry on the battle if the Rebels are holding both major ridge lines in the area.

I like this too; there are actually quite a few outcomes to the battle depending on what scenarios you go through and the relative losses. If I remember correctly, forcing the Union to withdraw after the first day of fighting only counts as a minor victory, or somesuch? I guess it should still count as a strategic victory as it allows Lee to continue the invasion of the north, but iirc the game still gives you snark for not destroying the Army of the Potomac in detail :sigh:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That went better than expected. I'm glad my men valiantly performed a retrograde manuver to take control of a valuable defensive position. At this point, once again, my men need to fatch their breath and get more ammo. Perhaps Pettigrew's men can spare some? They don't seem to have used very much so far.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Calax posted:

Was thinking something like this. That way if the Yankee's attack from any particular direction they're automatically being flanked.

Ok I like this. Pender can press and flank them if there's too much pressure being placed on Heth, and they should be far enough away from their cannons to not take too many losses.

Not to mention itll draw the enemy further away from defensible terrain.

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014

sullat posted:

That went better than expected. I'm glad my men valiantly performed a retrograde manuver to take control of a valuable defensive position. At this point, once again, my men need to fatch their breath and get more ammo. Perhaps Pettigrew's men can spare some? They don't seem to have used very much so far.

You and your men certainly performed valiantly, but I think that you shouldn't underestimate the work that I and my men have done. We are all contributing towards the victory. And no, you can absolutely not borrow our ammunition, we need it for later.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Alright then, since we've had some time to look at it, are we in agreement with Calax's plan for the next phase? If so, our division commanders should start giving out more specific orders.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Perrin, Scales, and Lane will remain in cover on Seminary Ridge until Ewell arrives and the counterassault begins. Once the Union troops on Cemetery are engaged from the north, cross the valley and drive off the artillery. If the Union brigades continue marching north after Heth's withdrawing division, the brigades will march east to hit them in the flank.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'm going away for the next week and a bit, so for that time, I leave my Corps to any command arrangement that works for you guys.

Anyway, 'afore I go, let us partake in a good ol' cannonade!
Concentrate every tube possible on Coster's Brigade!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 14:10 to 14:50

The plan is set into motion.

After a short respite fighting recommences as a few union brigades begin probing the relocated confederate lines.

A quarter of an hour passes with ineffective long range fighting before the federals swallow the bait entirely and begin moving north in force. Pender begins moving at once to hit their flank.

Only Coster's brigade, heavily disorganised by concerted artillery bombardment, wheels to block Pender's approaching division.

In the north the tables have now turned as the bluecoats are the ones caught in the open and being fired open by troops in cover, and their push shows signs of faltering as Paul's brigade are repulsed temporarily.

Coster is unlikely to be able to hold out for long, but the artillery on the hill is still a force to be reckoned with.

Finally, Rodes' full division has arrived along with three artillery batteries, but they may need to hurry in pushing the attack if we are to maintain the initiative.

In the south the union push against Heth has all but stopped, and Pender have swept away the infantry resistance and are ready to assault the artillery, if we deem it wise.

Casualty reports

Before.

After.

Well, Generals! It seems our gambit paid off: We managed to hit the yankees hard and pull their troops out of the position on the hill. Now to strike a decisive blow!

General Ewell (Roman Reigns), General Rodes (dublish): Welcome to the field of battle!

Since A.P. Hill is currently MIA, I leave it up to Dr Snark to determine what his corps shall do (or to delegate, as he sees fit).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Looks like my division is pretty well scattered across the north side of town. I wonder if I could take Culp's Hill with just Iverson, O'Neal and Doles. Or, I could mass my division and join the attack on Cemetery Hill.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

I suppose the main question that we face right now is whether we should assault Cemetery Hill now, or wait for our reinforcements to arrive.

If we attack now, we have the benefit of the Union forces being out of position and with low morale. If we attack later, we will have overwhelming numbers, but the Union will have the chance to move their forces back into position.

Given the success of our plan and the minimal resistance on the western side of the hill, I advocate pushing for it now while we have the chance. As for Culp's Hill, if we shatter the Union forces here, they will have little to nothing left to protect the hill.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I vote we wait till my boys are there to help give us glory over the yanks.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Covski, could I get screenshots of the map to the east and southeast of Gettysburg? I'd like to see potential areas I can deploy artillery at.

Dr. Snark posted:

Given the success of our plan and the minimal resistance on the western side of the hill, I advocate pushing for it now while we have the chance. As for Culp's Hill, if we shatter the Union forces here, they will have little to nothing left to protect the hill.

Agreed. This is my thinking of dublish's deployment:

Iverson, O'Neal, and Doles hits the Yankees at Cemetery Hill while Daniel and Ramseur form behind them. If successful in pushing back the enemy, I intend to have either Daniel or Ramseur or both (depending on the state of battle) to march over and seize Culp's Hill.

For my artillery, I would like to eventually deploy it right on Culp's Hill if the enemy is clear of there. Until then, I'd like to deploy them on any hills nearby east of Gettysburg to support dublish's attack.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
General Lee, more of our men have taken the field!

Here's what I suggest we do.

Pender and I will hold our ground for a while. We've got the bluebellies in the open and we're walloping 'em. My boys are holed up in town and those Pennsylvania brick houses are mighty good cover. We'll keep the Yankees occupied and whittle them down as much as we can.

Once Rodes and the Corps' artillery can come up, then we can launch an attack with three whole divisions and a nice helping of artillery. If Rodes can swing Iverson, O'Neal, and Doles far enough east, we should be able to take the Yankees on three sides!

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 23, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, I'm not taking on that much artillery with three unsupported brigades, and I'm not staying in place while they blast me. Perrin, Scales, and Lane will retreat back to Seminary Ridge and take cover until the general assault begins, at which point they will recross the field and join the attack on Cemetery Hill.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

General Lee, more of our men have taken the field!

Here's what I suggest we do.

Pender and I will hold our ground for a while. We've got the bluebellies in the open and we're walloping 'em. My boys are holed up in town and those Pennsylvania brick houses are mighty good cover. We'll keep the Yankees occupied and whittle them down as much as we can.

Once Rodes and the Corps' artillery can come up, then we can launch an attack with three whole divisions and a nice helping of artillery. If Rodes can swing Iverson, O'Neal, and Doles far enough east, we should be able to take the Yankees on three sides!

This is a good plan. I like this plan.

I also respect tatankatonk's decision to pull back and conserve his forces.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Yeah, I'm not taking on that much artillery with three unsupported brigades, and I'm not staying in place while they blast me. Perrin, Scales, and Lane will retreat back to Seminary Ridge and take cover until the general assault begins, at which point they will recross the field and join the attack on Cemetery Hill.

Fine by me.

How long will it take your division to move from Seminary Ridge to Cemetary Hill once the attack commences?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Snark posted:

This is a good plan. I like this plan.

I also respect tatankatonk's decision to pull back and conserve his forces.

If we proceed with Bacarruda's suggestion, and Culp's Hill IS empty, should I give priority to sending one brigade there and seizing it? That Hill overlooks the entire Union position...if I can put my artillery up there we can blast them to pieces.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Given that we'll have some of our forces moving in that general direction anyways, I see no problem with moving another division to secure Oak Hill if it is unoccupied.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We need some god drat scouting. Where's Stuart? Off indulging in a little raiding while we fight blind! The Yankees have a whole army out there, but where?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

Covski, could I get screenshots of the map to the east and southeast of Gettysburg? I'd like to see potential areas I can deploy artillery at.

Here you go! Not many viable spots between the town and Culp's Hill though, I'm afraid.

Also, ya'll should remember that more than half the standard time for this scenario has passed, so we don't have all the time in the world to get the attack under way!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

dublish's division will deploy in accordance to Bacarruda's plan, with the Corps artillery moving to point 408 east of Gettysburg.

IF the attack succeeds and the Yankees are driven back and IF Culp's Hill is empty or lightly defended, I want to send the nearest brigade to seize it immediately. If successful, artillery will re-deploy on Culp's Hill.

Any objections or advisement, dublish?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

dublish's division will deploy in accordance to Bacarruda's plan, with the Corps artillery moving to point 408 east of Gettysburg.

IF the attack succeeds and the Yankees are driven back and IF Culp's Hill is empty or lightly defended, I want to send the nearest brigade to seize it immediately. If successful, artillery will re-deploy on Culp's Hill.

Any objections or advisement, dublish?

Maybe get the artillery to Benner's Hill at 458 a bit farther east of town?

Early's Division should be arriving momentarily, right? ForeverBWFC may want to give some kind of conditional order for when his troops arrive. The Culp's Hill objective would be a perfect target for him if the assault on Cemetery Hill takes longer than expected.

I'll draw up a map today for my division, aiming for the McKnight Farm and Evergreen Cemetery beyond. I'd prefer bringing Ramseur and Daniel to join the rest of the division- Ramseur's should be my biggest brigade and I'd like to land that hammer somewhere weaker than their massed artillery.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I like 'Cudda's plan. And it seems like we're in a position where we might be able to use Pender to hit their flank while Rhodes attacks from the other side and Heath keeps the bulk of their forces engaged.

Would be nice if we could sneak a battalion and some arty up onto hill 508 to fired down on Yankee lines.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Orders:

Iverson's and O'Neal's brigades are to move onto 3rd Corps' left flank and join in the attack immediately. Doles' brigade will advance to the base of Culp's Hill to provide flank security.

If Culp's Hill is unoccupied, Doles will take it and strike the Union line from the rear.

Ramseur and Daniel are to move to the east side of town behind the rest of the division. Both of their brigades will follow Iverson and O'Neal, and join their attack. If Doles takes Culp's Hill, I want Daniel to follow Doles and defend Culp's Hill while Doles continues.

If Culp's Hill is defended in strength, I want Doles (and Daniel when he comes up) to both protect the flank of the main attack. The attack by Iverson and O'Neal (and Ramseur) is the priority, and I want it pushed as far as possible.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Hey guys, sorry about the delay in updating, been busy with some real life stuff. Next turn will probably come after all the Easter festivities slow down, unless I can find a window before then.

As a consolation, have a video showing how horrifying canister fire is. Happy Easter!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Hey guys, sorry about the delay. Hopefully y'all haven't forgotten there's a war to fight! :bahgawd:

Also, Patch 1.3 hit a couple of days ago, giving the Union a few solid buffs. I was worried this would mess with the save, but luckily it didn't! :toot:

Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 14:50 to 15:30

Sad music of the update

Inital orders

Pender begins falling back, crossing the bloodstained open field once more.

Heth holds the line at the edge of town, waiting for the reinforcements that will allow a renewal of the assault.

Said reinforcements, under the command of Rodes begin the long journey towards the Union right flank.

The battle

Pender's division suffers harrowing fire as they move towards the relative safety of the ridge.

The fighting at Gettysburg continues, but artillery support is rapidly coming up.

A sole federal brigade follows Pender.

Soon enough, the first reinforcing brigades are reaching the flank.

Rodes' men fire their first shots of the battle, as they come up against a fresh union brigade defending Culp's Hill.

Surprisingly, the federals make another another attempt at pushing Heth out of the town.

The line holds, and Pender has no trouble repulsing the foolhardy yanks from his position on the forested ridge.

The artillery has come up on Heth's flank, but the union continue to push us hard.

With Rodes in position, the attack can now begin in earnest.

Schimmelfennig is driven back by our invincible southern heroes.

Rodes is making good headway as well against the token union force.

The relentless fighting has taken it's toll on Heth's flank, and Brockenbrough is forced to fall back and regroup.

More confederates arrive on the field, as Jubal Early (ForeverBWFC) arrives with his division.

State of the battle

Rodes has formed up on the Union flank, and is ready to drive Billy Yank back to Washington.

Heth has been hit hard, without Pender to protect his right flank. As is becoming the norm, Brockenbrough has taken the worst of it.

Pender is crossing the field a third time, maybe to actually take the hill this time?

An overview of the north-east, where Early is awaiting orders.

Casualty reports

Before.

After.

Generals, your orders please!

Also, to make things easier on me, kindly indicate which order are final by attaching a :siren: siren :siren: to them. I won't be held responsible for horrible casualties caused by my inability to tell orders from speculation. Thanks! :)

Covski fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 12, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Alright people, the Union's main forces have made their move. Unfortunately for them, it puts them in a prime position for us to surround them.

The current strategy is to have our western flank push ahead and remove the artillery from the equation while simultaneously putting them behind the main Union lines. At the same time, our forces moving on Culp's Hill can swing left and press on the Union's right flank. Finally, our reinforcements can be brought in to relieve our battered main line.

That's the current idea, at any rate.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My boys have fought long and hard today. I see Pettigrew and his men have taken advantage of the delay to occupy the hipster part of town; perhaps fortified by artisinal vinegars and with their fresh pedicures, they will be able to push up to the southern portion of town to lay down fire on the yanks near there? I realize that part of town may be a little rough for them, but my men will be right behind them.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Can we squeeze the sides and swap Early for Heath?

Push Culp's Hill and pender's assault hard while Early comes in and swaps with Heath. Either the Yanks are gonna end up back to back, and flanked by fresh soldiers, or the flanking divisions will dig in deep to their flanks and hurt em hard.

Side note, if we take Culp's Hill, we should probably shove some cannon on top of it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Proposed orders for 3 corp; thoughts, commanders?

Artillery
Marye, McGraw and Brander: Concentrate fire on Coster's brigade, then Ames' (Or other targets, as requested by Tatankatonk?)

Hurt, Zimmerman, Wallace: Withdraw about 200 yards.

Johnston: Under Bacarruda's orders. (Either reinforce with infantry or withdraw, it can't stay there alone)

Pender's Div (Tatankatonk)

Get in there and cause chaos in the enemy rear. The precise nature of that chaos is up to you. Early and Rodes Divisions will take a little time to make contact, so you have some time to march around the side brigades if you wanted to. Do you want HQ to move around to you?

Heth's Div (Bacarruda)

Engage the infantry in front of you and prevent it turning towards Tatankatonk's div. Personally I think you could occupy them with a unit or two to spare which could be reserve or support elsewhere.

Calax posted:

Can we squeeze the sides and swap Early for Heath?

Push Culp's Hill and pender's assault hard while Early comes in and swaps with Heath. Either the Yanks are gonna end up back to back, and flanked by fresh soldiers, or the flanking divisions will dig in deep to their flanks and hurt em hard.

Side note, if we take Culp's Hill, we should probably shove some cannon on top of it.

Do you mean Heth? If that's the case, I think those units are quite capable of defending Gettysburg as it is now, the union won't be able to press there for long because they will have to defend against the assaults from the sides. Davis and Pettigrew's brigades seem capable, and replacing them eats up time we could use to take ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Heth's Div (Bacarruda)

Engage the infantry in front of you and prevent it turning towards Tatankatonk's div. Personally I think you could occupy them with a unit or two to spare which could be reserve or support elsewhere.

Do you mean Heth? If that's the case, I think those units are quite capable of defending Gettysburg as it is now, the union won't be able to press there for long because they will have to defend against the assaults from the sides. Davis and Pettigrew's brigades seem capable, and replacing them eats up time we could use to take ground.

Suh, I can defend Gettysburg and I can play a supporting role in any attack we attempt to make on Cemetery Ridge. I don't think we can be the main effort again.

My boys have been fighting hard all morning and we've taken losses. We need ammunition, water, and a bite to eat.

I'll move Johnson to my western flank to keep him out of harm's way.

• Locked thread