Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I see no reason to change what my division is doing. Iverson, Ramseur and O'Neal look to be in a great position to smash Smith's brigade and get onto Krzyanowski's flank and rear. That done, we'll be hitting Cemetery Hill from 3 sides.

Doles and Daniel should be able to drive Stannard off Culp's Hill, though Early's division might be needed if there are any more unseen Yankees up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Suh, I can defend Gettysburg and I can play a supporting role in any attack we attempt to make on Cemetery Ridge. I don't think we can be the main effort again.

My boys have been fighting hard all morning and we've taken losses. We need ammunition, water, and a bite to eat.

I'll move Johnson to my western flank to keep him out of harm's way.

No worries, I don't intend you to assault, more sniping from the cover of the town. At this stage, the smartest thing the enemy can do is to turn and rout Pender's division, soto prevent that, we need to make sure that the enemy is kept occupied.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

We have only so much time left, so if we're going to hit the Yanks its gotta be now.

dublish posted:

I see no reason to change what my division is doing. Iverson, Ramseur and O'Neal look to be in a great position to smash Smith's brigade and get onto Krzyanowski's flank and rear. That done, we'll be hitting Cemetery Hill from 3 sides.

Doles and Daniel should be able to drive Stannard off Culp's Hill, though Early's division might be needed if there are any more unseen Yankees up there.

Agreed. In addition to this, I recommend that Early march with all possible speed to Culp's Hill and secure it. If Doles and Daniel don't drive off Stannard, they should be weakened enough for Early to finish them off.

In the event Culp's Hill is taken swiftly, Doles and Daniel will take defensive position and all artillery will deploy there. If no Yankee unit is close by to threaten taking the hill, Doles and Daniel may proceed west and assist with the assault there.

These aren't final orders yet, so I remain open to suggestions.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
My (Archer's) boys have been fighting on the front line for the entire battle of Gettysburg. They could probably use a break after we take this hill.... but not a single second before! :black101:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

brb on fire posted:

My (Archer's) boys have been fighting on the front line for the entire battle of Gettysburg. They could probably use a break after we take this hill.... but not a single second before! :black101:

:getin:

I like this attitude! I'm starting to realize how important it is to take the hills. If we don't get at least one of them, we face the prospect of repeating the assault tomorrow against a reinforced union side.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If any brigadiers want to command tatankatonk's corp into the attack, go for it. I think he has his internet command hands full fighting world war one at the moment :)

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yeah, it seems like we have a general plan sorted out that everyone agrees on, so I am putting out the call for final orders.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah, it seems like we have a general plan sorted out that everyone agrees on, so I am putting out the call for final orders.

:siren:Heth's Division:siren: will move the marked positions, suh!

General Hill! I'd like the artillery to form up on my flank, like so.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 19, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

:siren:Rodes' Division::siren:

Continue as previously ordered. I want Daniel and Doles to drive the Yankees off Culp's Hill. If there are more of them than just Stannard, they are to defend until Early arrives.

dublish fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
REQUIRED ORDERS

Robert E. Lee (Dr. Snark)
Ewell's 2nd corps (Roman Reigns)
A.P. Hill's 3rd corps (Jaguars!)

OPTIONAL ORDERS

Early's division (ForeverBWFC)
Rodes' division (dublish)
Heth's division (Bacarruda)
Pender's division (tatankatonk) <-- needs a stand-in, possibly?

Also, a friendly reminder about this to save me headaches:

Covski posted:

Also, to make things easier on me, kindly indicate which order are final by attaching a :siren: siren :siren: to them. I won't be held responsible for horrible casualties caused by my inability to tell orders from speculation. Thanks! :)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Some orders for pender's div - if you want to try your hand with this unit next round, sing out!

:siren:Pender's Div - Orders :siren:

Orange dashed line is attack without moving, Red line is move.

Scales will stand and fire on Coster's while Lane swings wide and attacks the flank. Then both units will fire on Ames' unit.

Perrin will also swing wide and attack Stewart's battery, then head directly for the summit of the hill.

If any units run out of orders, they should support the attack on the summit.

[Edit:]Baccarruda's requested artillery positions are approved!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 19, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
This is a lovely game and a lovely lets play, but even with goons in command, it fails to convey the degree to which a lot of these commanders despised each other.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since most of the orders are in, and Early is likely to spend most of the turn marching anyway, I'll run the turn tomorrow or they day after that. Roman Reigns, feel free to give more specific orders for Early's Division in case ForeverBWFC doesn't check in before then, I you want.

Klaus88 posted:

This is a lovely game and a lovely lets play, but even with goons in command, it fails to convey the degree to which a lot of these commanders despised each other.

Thanks! I fully anticipate more conflicts as soon as we get to the larger and more difficult fights!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

If I'm not too late...

:siren: Early's division marches to Culp's Hill at all possible speed to seize/reinforce it. If the enemy still occupies, they will deploy in single line formation and attack. If theres any artillery units brought with him, they will be deployed with the rest at 408, and then redeploy along with them at Culp's Hill if taken:siren:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I have been doing my best to undermine Pettigrew, but my brigade has been too busy holding up the front lines to really discredit him.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Someone say that Jackson was a cocksucker within earshot of the Stonewall Brigade, I want to see some Grey on Grey action.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

At this point, that might be the only way the Union can actually win :v:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 15:30 to 16:00

Prisoner-taking song of the update

Initial orders

The push on the Hills begin, while Heth forms up in defensive positions in the town.

As Pender starts to cross the bloody field a third time, word comes that another artillery battalion of Heth's division has arrived on the field.

Since I wasn't expecting these to arrive, I ordered them to move to a decent position near the other western batteries.

Most of the Union forces in the east seem to be withdrawing to Cemetery Hill, leaving Stannard alone to face the approaching wall of grey on Culp's Hill.

The yanks have withdrawn out of range from Heth's position in the town, but the artillery is pouring devastating fire on Ames' flank.

Even so, Scales' exhausted brigade is temporarily repulsed.

It is only a minor setback however, as they quickly reform at the nearby orchard. The rest of Pender's flanking movement goes well enough, although the southern brigades are concerningly isolated and exposed on the open ground.

Rodes' division has begun ascending both the hills, facing minimal resistance.

The fighting in the west continues to be fierce with both sides temporarily being forced back momentarily before they reform and continue the struggle.

By this point, most of Pender's division is quite worn out, but the bluecoats can't be much better off themselves.

Stannard has been driven off Culp's Hill, allowing Early's sharpshooter detachment to pick them off from across the valley. Only one hill remains.

Sharpshooters work much the same as skirmishers, but they have range and accuracy enough to be quite devastating if you manage to place them so that the enemy can't easily drive them away.

State of the battle

Pender's division has been marching and fighting long and hard on poor ground, and are tired and demoralised. Even so, they are in a great position to put pressure on the rear and flank of the Union position.

Heth's division on the other hand have been able to rest and recover with very little action on their front and all of their brigades, with the exception of Brockenbrough, are recovered enough to take part in an assault if necessary.

The forward elements of Rodes' division are about to crest the hill, though the prospect of getting a face full of canister fire as they do so is a legitimate concern.

Early's division have just about reached Culp's Hill, but may still make an impact on the battle at the Cemetery if the pick up the pace just a bit.

The Union has formed up in a very tight formation on the Hill, practically inviting us to try and take it from them.

A full overview of the battle.

Casualty report

Before:

And after:

Yikes, poor Pender lost almost six hundred men in half an hour :(

Well, generals. At this point there seems to be little question that we can take that hill, the question is whether or not the losses will be worth it. Are we satisfied with the ground we have taken, or shall we push on and drive the yankees back to Washington?

Note that the battle is now in overtime which means that we'll have to be constantly pushing on the objective for the battle not to end. Also, keep in mind that even if we take both hills, we will still need to fight one more battle on Day 1, so exhausting our strength now might have consequences later.

Generals, your orders please!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
What the heck is happening on Cemetery Hill? Are they trying to rally for a counterattack or just park bluecoat bodies on it to keep the Confederates from getting that sweet sweet VP?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Nice. I didn't expect Stannard to give up Culp's Hill so easily. I'll probably have Daniel and Doles move south of O'Neal and continue to surround the Yankees.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Well, I'm glad that we managed to secure Culp's Hill like we planned, but that is a lot of bluecoats on Cemetery Hill.

Unless anyone has a plan to get them off without losing half of our army in the process, I say we call it done for now. We've surrounded the enemy already; let them cower on that hill while we rest and prepare for the main assault.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The majority of their cannons are on the Western side, Rhodes division has barely been scratched and Early is just coming up. Granted, his troops are worn down from hard marching but the bluecoats cant be too far behind after all this fighting.

On top of that, we have Culp's Hill. I can put more cannons on there and just blast the Union lines to pieces.

If I can move Early up to Rhodes' left and attack from the east and southeast we can crush them all. All Heth and Pender have to do is keep the Yankees from redeploying their forces to face me.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
If we do take Cemetery Hill in this round, what happens? You said at some point we could drive the Yankees off the field and not actually destroy the Army of the Potomac, which is kind of a lame victory. Are we in danger of that, yet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aren't the Bluecoats clumped up in a big salient? Close the back door to prevent retreat, then stand off and blast them with cannon from three sides until they surrender or die.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

To be clear: There is a definite chance we may have to attack Cemetary Ridge in the evening today if we do not take it now. In that case, taking it now before the yanks get more reinforcements might be the better option.

Davin Valkri posted:

What the heck is happening on Cemetery Hill? Are they trying to rally for a counterattack or just park bluecoat bodies on it to keep the Confederates from getting that sweet sweet VP?

Supposedly they are entrenching themselves at the most defensible terrain feature available to them, hoping to hold out until nightfall or until more reinforcements can come up. And looking at the timer, it can be assumed that the latter option is not too far away.

Samolety posted:

If we do take Cemetery Hill in this round, what happens? You said at some point we could drive the Yankees off the field and not actually destroy the Army of the Potomac, which is kind of a lame victory. Are we in danger of that, yet?

No, not yet. It can definitely happen in the next battle, however. I'm not sure what other paths, if any, can result in an early Confederate victory, since there are quite a few ways the battle can play out. Actually, here's a view of the possible battles we could have fought so far, since I haven't shown it off:

The first scenario, "Arriving at Gettysburg" is the only possible battle on the morning of July 1st. It's worth noting that it is quite unlikely (if not impossible) that any one campaign will have a fight in all nine possible phases. For reference, the historical path only has four battles.

The rationale behind only getting a lesser victory for winning early as the Confederates is that with all the most defensible positions taken the Union will be forced to withdraw before the bulk of the Army of the Potomac can come up. Thus, the battle of Gettysburg becomes more of a footnote battle where the Army of Northern Virginia fights of two union corps before continuing the invasion of the north, and not the total destruction of the AotP that Lee was hoping for. Interestingly this is more along the lines of what Longstreet wanted, being able to continue towards Washington and forcing the Union to attack them on ground of their choosing. After all if the victory levels are seen without the benefit of historical hindsight, just repulsing two out of seven corps and continuing on our merry way is relatively minor, although a strategic victory and definitely a preferable outcome for the CSA than the historical one.

Note: I'm not a ACW scholar by any means (I'm not even American :v:), so if I've got my facts wrong or anybody has some deeper insights, please chime in :)

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I don't think there's a reason to keep pushing, they're fairly bottled up, and Pender needs a rest. If we push at this point it seems like any victory we achieve would come at to great a cost overall, and we'd be in a bad spot overall.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Hmmm if they are waiting for reinforcements, then maybe its a better idea to hold back, fortify Culp's Hill, and give Early's division a chance to rest and recover? I can still move in more cannons to the hill and pound the Yanks to dust. Especially since theyre all piled in like that.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I want to remind everyone that we are in overtime, so if we rest we'll end up calling it a day. Again, considering our current position and the Union's, I feel that we should do so.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I have two full strength divisions on hand, and command of the best hill on the field. All I see on Cemetery Hill are panicked, disorganized, beaten Billy Yanks ripe for the killing.

However, AP Hill's men have been bled nearly dry and are exhausted, and can offer little in assistance if I press an attack. Those two divisions of mine could very well succeed in beating the bluecoats...but losses will be severe. And theres more Yankees coming.

I'm inclined to agree with General Dr. Snark. There's more fighting to be had, and we've already accomplished much this day.

:siren: General Rhodes is to fall back to Culp's Hill and defend and fortify it. Cram as much artillery as you can on that Hill. General Early will deploy to the east of Culp's Hill and give his men a chance to rest and recuperate.:siren:

dublish, deploy your men on or near Culp's Hill in a manner you see fit.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's a helluva position, a pity we have not time to destroy them.

:siren:3rd Corps orders :siren:

Stop the advance, find what cover you can, and prevent the enemy from retreating to the west or north.

Deploy the fresh artillery ASAP, anywhere that they are able to fire onto the hill.
Other artillery under the nearest division commander.

3rd corps HQ to redeploy behind Scales and Lane.

Still looking for a commander for Pender's division. [E:] Tank, if you want it back, that's not a problem, just haven't seen you post in this on for a while.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 22, 2015

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Dr. Snark posted:

I want to remind everyone that we are in overtime, so if we rest we'll end up calling it a day. Again, considering our current position and the Union's, I feel that we should do so.

So that you guys are clear on the choice here: I played around in the game and checked a few things out: Whether we take the hill or not, the next scenario will indeed follow immediately after this one ends (or possibly even slightly before, due to shenanigans with how the game handles battles that end in overtime). Still, I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, as it will give you the option to reform and regroup and decide if and where you want to push on in the next scenario.

If ya'll are still inclined to just hold your ground I'll just need general orders from the corps commanders on how to conduct the withdrawal and where you want to station your forces for the next phase (since this sorta kinda carries over), and I'll run the end of the scenario in the next couple of days to keep things moving forward. Unless any mutinous subordinates want to charge without orders, of course :v:

I also found that I was wrong about being able to win as the confederates in the first day - you can do it on the morning of July 2nd at the earliest unless I'm missing something, and those are some pretty difficult fights even with the thrashing we gave the Union on day one!

Edit: Wow, you corps guys move fast

Covski fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 22, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Covski posted:

The rationale behind only getting a lesser victory for winning early as the Confederates is that with all the most defensible positions taken the Union will be forced to withdraw before the bulk of the Army of the Potomac can come up. Thus, the battle of Gettysburg becomes more of a footnote battle where the Army of Northern Virginia fights of two union corps before continuing the invasion of the north, and not the total destruction of the AotP that Lee was hoping for. Interestingly this is more along the lines of what Longstreet wanted, being able to continue towards Washington and forcing the Union to attack them on ground of their choosing. After all if the victory levels are seen without the benefit of historical hindsight, just repulsing two out of seven corps and continuing on our merry way is relatively minor, although a strategic victory and definitely a preferable outcome for the CSA than the historical one.

Note: I'm not a ACW scholar by any means (I'm not even American :v:), so if I've got my facts wrong or anybody has some deeper insights, please chime in :)

Historically, Meade wanted Lee to attack his fortified position which was between Gettysburg and Washington; Lee would have had to cross prepared field defenses just to get at the AotP and even if he got past that, Washington was pretty heavily fortified and garrisoned at the time anyway. When Hancock took command near the end of the first day, however, he said that this place was "totes defensible" and so the rest of the army was brought up to fight the battle. If the Rebels had overrun the entire place on the first day, I reckon Meade's original plan would have been followed. Whether or not Lee would have attacked Meade's prepared positions (who knows, with Lee?) is an open question, although he still couldn't have taken Washington.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

Well, I'm glad that we managed to secure Culp's Hill like we planned, but that is a lot of bluecoats on Cemetery Hill.

Unless anyone has a plan to get them off without losing half of our army in the process, I say we call it done for now. We've surrounded the enemy already; let them cower on that hill while we rest and prepare for the main assault.

I agree. We put a force to secure Seminary Ridge and Gettysburg (my division can loot secure the town). Put a bunch of troops on Culp's Hill to prevent them from reinforcing Cemetery Ridge. And then we can hammer their massed infantry with artillery at our leisure.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Music of the update

Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 16:00 to 16:18

With the attack losing momentum, the order is given to fall back and regroup temporarily allowing for fresh reinforcements to come in.

Most of the withdrawal is carried out in good order, although Perrin's brigade is disorganized by heavy bombardment as they attempt to manoeuvre out of sight of the enemy guns.

Rodes suffers no casualties during the withdrawal, being obscured by the crest of the hill.

Perrin manages to quickly reorganize his battered brigade and they soon return once again to the safety of their wooded ridge.

On Heth's front, some long distance skirmishing is taking place to little effect.

Most of Early's force have reached their holding positions, and are taking a few moments to catch their breath after a hard day of marching. Meanwhile, the guns on Culp's Hill harass Stannard's brigade as they attempt to rejoin the rest of the Union force.

After three more hours of almost non-stop fighting we have driven the yanks off yet another important hill, and even managed to cause more casualties despite us being on the offence. Our next push will surely drive them off the field!

Remember, most of our forces (especially Heth) has been fighting since the battle began at 9:30 with only a short break between 12:05 and 13:20, and even the late arrivals have spent the day in a forced march. I'm sure we can excuse them if some of them are a bit exhausted at this point.

Davis has caused the most casualties for the second time in a row. Give that man a medal! However, some of those Union guns have really been putting the hurt on us.

Unsurprisingly, Perrin, Scales and Brockenbrough are the Confederates who have taken the most severe losses, as they are the brigadiers who have been forced to spend the most time in exposed positions.

The divisions who have been most heavily engaged are starting to show some wear, and Pender has little to show for it in the way of enemy casualties.. The legend of the Bloody Field west of Cemetery Hill will live forever in the memories of the Third Division of the Third Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Still, we have managed to put quite a hurt on the two Union corps of Howard and Reynolds. However, five more are arriving in the next few days.

The casualties are still more in our favour than the numbers indicate: This screen doesn't take into account brigades that are eliminated by routing them off the field, only casualties caused by actual combat. Since the AotP has around 93k men starting out, the actual losses to their effective combat strength are closer to nine thousand. Still, we are at disadvantage in numbers, but nothing necessarily insurmountable.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Next part of the battle will be coming soon. Feel free to post a bit so that we can get the thread to the next page and avoid cluttering this one :)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I almost wish I'd disobeyed orders and gone for Cemetery Hill. Seeing "Rodes suffers no casualties during the withdrawal" makes me feel bad.

Oh well. We'll finish the job tomorrow.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

We should probably let Heath take some time off to rest while the rest of the forces fight next (assuming fatigue etc carry over between battles).

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We certainly have to keep that in mind, but I don't think that we can afford to have many resting troops when we are outnumbered.

Covski, I think it would be helpful to see the stat bars of the infantry units at the start of the next battle so we can see what we have left to work with. Would that be too much work?

Oh, and it's Heth, not Heath.
:goonsay:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Wot do you mean it's Heth not Heath? I thought it was my Division!

Sorry... bad joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Calax posted:

We should probably let Heath take some time off to rest while the rest of the forces fight next (assuming fatigue etc carry over between battles).

If you park me on good terrain and keep me supplied with ammo, my boys can lend a hand in any defense. We aren't in any shape to mount an assault.

• Locked thread