Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Its still a loving 5 speed.
(Unless its an ST. Then you can have a real transmission).

So? More by itself doesn't make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Powershift posted:

Seems shortsighted to go with an expensive quad core/DDR3 build with hex core/ DDR4 on the table.

That was what I was thinking too, but after reading for a couple of weeks I changed my mind. It was about $500 cheaper and no current games get any benefit from the extra cores but do with the higher clock speeds on the quad. I used the money saved to get better video card since that seems to be the limiting factor today for gaming.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't see a monitor in your build. I'm guessing you already have one?

Edit: I really recommend a mechanical keyboard if you don't already have one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But more and more games are being strait ported from the 8 core consoles. My thoughts are more towards future proofing.

At this point to move forward 1 generational step in the video card is going to mean a new video card and slap it in. To move forward 1 generational step in processor is CPU, motherboard, and memory.

My i5 2500k is still kicking rear end nearly 4 years on, but it's becoming the bottleneck in some games and i'm really hoping it can keep going until there's an 8 core i5 K card.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

What model is it and what kind of tank (like it is an all in one unit/hopper style or 2 or more separate pieces?) If the tank water level is high is likely means something got stuck at some point.....whether a valve or the cycle controller or a float level. It could have been a one time thing, it could be a continuing problem.

Softeners tend to need periodic maintenance because of all of the salt. Relatively simple poo poo - disassemble, soak poo poo in hot water to get all the salt crust off, reassemble. If the tank level gets off is usually best to just drain it/clean it out and start over with a "system startup" per the manual so you know things are correct.

When mine does that I just run it until there's almost no salt left/I can't take not having softened water anymore so I don't have to shovel wet salt out.

Culligan, weirdly I can't find a model #. It has the separate tanks.

And yeah draining pounds of wet salt sucks.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

mariooncrack posted:

I don't see a monitor in your build. I'm guessing you already have one?

Edit: I really recommend a mechanical keyboard if you don't already have one.

I have a nice 1080p projector setup and a 130in screen for now until I find a deal on 3 monitors for the racing sim setup.

I do still need to get a real keyboard and mouse, any suggestions? I want something more simple classy since it will be in the media room and don't want a breathing dragon or some gamer bullshit like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Dallas and Austin are still going to be a considerable drive from either pheonix or LA. I also feel it worth mentioning that Tampa has a hockey team, baseball team and football team! None are that good though.

The Lightning are in second place, heading for the playoffs and have a Stanley Cup under their belt already :colbert:

But yeah, I remember reading about how Tampa is becoming a booming tech town now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

I have a nice 1080p projector setup and a 130in screen for now until I find a deal on 3 monitors for the racing sim setup.

I do still need to get a real keyboard and mouse, any suggestions? I want something more simple classy since it will be in the media room and don't want a breathing dragon or some gamer bullshit like that.

This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-910-003584-Rechargeable-Gaming/dp/B00BFOEY3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425263923&sr=8-1&keywords=g700s

I know it's a gamer mouse with a few extra buttons but it doesn't go overboard with them and I like the extra buttons. They come in handy occasionally. This occasionally goes on sale for $50.

For keyboards, I'm a fan of CM Storm series by Cooler Master. I prefer brown switches but I also have two others with blue switches. The one thing I would say is to avoid Razr keyboards. I know both my razr and cm storm keyboard both have cherry blue switches but overall I prefer the feel of the CM Storm one. When it comes to switches, it's all preferences. Generally, blues are for typing, black and reds are better for gaming, and browns are somewhere in the middle. Ideally, I'd love to get a IBM model M but they're a bit pricey.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Holdbrooks posted:

Mechanical keyboards all the way. Das Keyboard is a pretty good and very unobtrusive product, and Corsair make some decent mechanical keyboards that don't look completely idiotic, are easy to clean poo poo out of and don't necessarily use Cherry Blue switches (if CLACKCLACKCLACK isn't your thing).

Also that system you built would set me back nearly three grand here in Canada :staredog:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, maybe if you started pulling your weight, our dollar wouldn't be poo poo :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

leica posted:

The Lightning are in second place, heading for the playoffs and have a Stanley Cup under their belt already :colbert:

But yeah, I remember reading about how Tampa is becoming a booming tech town now.

:dance:

Also, the Lightning are my second-favourite team (especially since Stevie Yzerman is in charge down there :kimchi:) and I would totally cheer for them whenever the Wings aren't in town.

My wife (and I) are falling in love with the cute 1920's bungalows with their cute 1950's bathrooms in Seminole Heights and Kenwood, and they're really reasonably priced compared to even smaller bungalows that are up here in Royal Oak. I absolutely love how you can live in a single-family home and be like five miles away from the downtown centers. It's everything I've ever wanted out of Detroit but totally unable to get due to the level of crime outside of the city center (though I have no idea how the crime rate is in Kenwood and Seminole Heights.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I know it's to be expected, but it's funny to me how we now have keyboard fanboys such that the switches are talked about like different regional strains of grapes are by wine snobs.

I remember this thing feeling awesome back in the day (Apple Extended Keyboard):

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

Well thats what I get for not following various sports and instead focusing on fishing. (Fishing here is pretty awesome too.)

EDIT:

Tusen Takk posted:

Also, the Lightning are my second-favourite team (especially since Stevie Yzerman is in charge down there :kimchi:) and I would totally cheer for them whenever the Wings aren't in town.

My wife (and I) are falling in love with the cute 1920's bungalows with their cute 1950's bathrooms in Seminole Heights and Kenwood, and they're really reasonably priced compared to even smaller bungalows that are up here in Royal Oak. I absolutely love how you can live in a single-family home and be like five miles away from the downtown centers. It's everything I've ever wanted out of Detroit but totally unable to get due to the level of crime outside of the city center (though I have no idea how the crime rate is in Kenwood and Seminole Heights.

Its almost certainly less than detroit!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tampachat: Better enjoy the Rays while they're still there; ownership has all but said they're moving the team elsewhere when the stadium deal runs out.

Powershift posted:

Well, maybe if you started pulling your weight, our dollar wouldn't be poo poo :colbert:

Hey bro, I'll have you know that shitposting is the keystone of the Canadian economy.

Certainly more than the energy industry is these days lol (get me out of here before it turns into Detroit North)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Its almost certainly less than detroit!

Exactly. I can't even believe the amount of stuff there is to do there :vince:. Thanks for all the info man, you're making this choice easier and easier haha.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Holdbrooks posted:

It is Super overkill but i have a hard time doing anything half assed. On the up side I can do some video stuff that takes forever on my MBP, but mostly I will be using it with my projector to play steam games until I get sim setup with a few monitors going here soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Graphics card: MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
RAM:G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
SSD: 512gb Samsung 850 PRO
Storage: WD Green 4TB
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black

then some extra case fans and a dvd burner
That looks really similar to (but a step above) my setup from November.
4690K / GTX970 / 16GB / 250GB 850Pro

Mine runs nicely. You'll enjoy it.

G700s is pretty sweet. I need to buy another one of these days.

nm posted:

So? More by itself doesn't make it better.
So without the turbo its still a small I4 and needs all the help it can get.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 2, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Holdbrooks posted:

I have a Ducky DK2108S Shine Zero with Cherry Brown keys and it's great. Really durable and rugged, not super clicky but really nicely tactile.

mariooncrack posted:

This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-910-003584-Rechargeable-Gaming/dp/B00BFOEY3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425263923&sr=8-1&keywords=g700s

I know it's a gamer mouse with a few extra buttons but it doesn't go overboard with them and I like the extra buttons. They come in handy occasionally. This occasionally goes on sale for $50.

This mouse is pro as gently caress. I highly, highly, highly recommend it. I know wireless can put people off, but I've never had a problem with response times, and you can just plug it in and continue using it while it charges - it just becomes a wired mouse. Also the logo on the inside of the box says "SCIENCE WINS" and I can't go past that, no matter how trite. Logitech have always been really good to me - I have a G930 cordless headset that stopped charging last August, a few months out of warranty, and they sent me a return authorisation for my supplier anyway. I use PC Case Gear, and they absorbed the shipping costs from the faulty headset, so I also recommend them if you're in the Down Underverse.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Memento posted:

This mouse is pro as gently caress. I highly, highly, highly recommend it. I know wireless can put people off, but I've never had a problem with response times, and you can just plug it in and continue using it while it charges - it just becomes a wired mouse. Also the logo on the inside of the box says "SCIENCE WINS" and I can't go past that, no matter how trite. Logitech have always been really good to me - I have a G930 cordless headset that stopped charging last August, a few months out of warranty, and they sent me a return authorisation for my supplier anyway. I use PC Case Gear, and they absorbed the shipping costs from the faulty headset, so I also recommend them if you're in the Down Underverse.
I love Logitech. I really don't want to add up how much I've spent on their gear though. Its...a lot over the last 15 year. Mice, keyboards, G13, G15, joysticks, headsets, speakers...almost all of my accessories have been logitech. Good poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

So without the turbo its still a small I4 and needs all the help it can get.

It depends on the gearing. I have 100hp and roughly the same tq and 5-speed and move along pretty well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Downtown St.Pete is awesome (check it out online), Kenwood is right there, although those old houses do have their issues. St.Pete is a little peninsula within a big peninsula so on the east side downtown you're on the water (Tampa Bay) and on the west side you're on the Gulf. And it takes literally fifteen minutes to get from one side to the other, if you like the water it's a great place to live because you're surrounded by it. Crime is not horrible, although St.Pete has it's bad areas like every other city and if you stay away from it you're fine. Crime on the beach side is almost non existent.

MrChips posted:

Tampachat: Better enjoy the Rays while they're still there; ownership has all but said they're moving the team elsewhere when the stadium deal runs out.

The Rays are under contract here until 2027, so they're not going anywhere any time soon. Right now they're negotiating to get out of the Trop contract but the stipulation is they have to stay in the bay area which means in all likelihood they will end up moving to the Tampa side. Would suck for me because I'm ten minutes from the Trop, but I'd rather see them go to Tampa than go to another state or Canada.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

quote is not edit god dammit

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Very weird that my fiance and I have been having basically the same discussion, moving to where my parents live (clearwater) from metro detroit where we are now...:aaaaa:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Clearwater is a hot mess unless you're a Scientologist, in which case it's awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
They live in Palm Harbor, I just say Clearwater because nobody knows where the gently caress Palm Harbor is :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need a cheap little mp3 player I can stick an SD card in and leave in the car all the time because draining my phone's battery for music sucks. Why are Sansa's still $30+? Shouldn't that poo poo be like $5 these days?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha. Palm Harbor is cool, still a bit too close to Clearwater for my liking :v:

Rhyno posted:

I need a cheap little mp3 player I can stick an SD card in and leave in the car all the time because draining my phone's battery for music sucks. Why are Sansa's still $30+? Shouldn't that poo poo be like $5 these days?

Get a used Sandisk Sansa if you can find one, they're built like little tanks, mine is still going strong.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Very weird that my fiance and I have been having basically the same discussion, moving to where my parents live (clearwater) from metro detroit where we are now...:aaaaa:

I think these last few winters have made many a michigoose rethink their reasons for living here

Edit: thanks for all the information dudes, I graduate in April 2016 so it's a little ways away but since all the houses were looking at are around $120-$150k, we already have 65-100% of the down payment and closing costs.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

Ha. Palm Harbor is cool, still a bit too close to Clearwater for my liking :v:

Could be worse. They could be living with the rednecks up in spring hill like I do. :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Got any old android phones? They would probably do the job just as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

I think these last few winters have made many a michigoose rethink their reasons for living here

Edit: thanks for all the information dudes, I graduate in April 2016 so it's a little ways away but since all the houses were looking at are around $120-$150k, we already have 65-100% of the down payment and closing costs.

If you want to come and check out the area, I could get you a good rate at my resort right on the Gulf. Would have to be after season though, were booked up for the next three months. October is the best time to come down imo, best weather and least amount of tourists.

With that budget you'd be in a really nice house.

Elmnt80 posted:

Could be worse. They could be living with the rednecks up in spring hill like I do. :v:

This is true. I'm so sorry.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ouch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo house of cards.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tusen Takk posted:

Nice!! I've heard good things about Austin, and Dallas has a hockey team so that would be nice for when the Wings are in town. His company can move him to LA or Pheonix as well, but housing in LA is way too expensive (and their go fast car laws make me sad).

Austin is awesome, except for the traffic on 35 (holy poo poo avoid I-35 in Austin, period).

They're close enough together (~ 200 miles, 3 hour drive, 45 minute flight) than you can make an overnight trip to either area.

Dallas is a sprawling mess, but as others have said, the tech industry has exploded in both Dallas and Austin. There's tons of poo poo to do in both Austin and Dallas; Austin's a lot more quirky in general, while you're going to run into a lot more corporate culture in Dallas. DFW also has Six Flags over Texas (there's also a Six Flags in San Antonio, which is only an hour and a half drive from Austin).

Downsides to both are the heat in the summer. Also, if you're scared of the occasional tornado watch and some awesome storms, you might want to avoid Dallas. DFW has usually had a (slightly) lower cost of living than Austin, but with Toyota moving here, housing will be skyrocketing in the far northern suburbs (Plano, Frisco, etc). Upsides if kids are in the plans, Plano, Allen, and Frisco school districts are generally very well regarded (all north suburbs that connect to each other, and Frisco ISD actually extends into north Plano), while Dallas ISD is the laughing stock of the state (Plano ISD extends into a small part of far north Dallas). We also have a fantastic light rail system on the Dallas side of DFW (supposedly the largest in the US). Austin has the main University of Texas campus, while DFW has UT Arlington, UT Dallas, UT Southwestern Medical, University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University, and plenty of others.

We do have car inspections/emissions in the major metro areas (Austin, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso), but anything OBD2 will pass the emissions part as long as it has no more than 1 readiness monitor showing not ready, and the CEL isn't lit up (anything over 24 years old is exempt from emissions). The rest is basically kicking the tires - tread depth, horn, seat belts, brakes aren't grinding, all lights work, parking brake works, gas cap seals properly, windshield isn't in horrible shape. El Paso still doesn't do OBD2 testing, nor do they do dyno testing, just an idle and 1500 RPM sniff, but you won't want to live in El Paso. Or Houston.

Powershift posted:

My i5 2500k is still kicking rear end nearly 4 years on, but it's becoming the bottleneck in some games and i'm really hoping it can keep going until there's an 8 core i5 K card.

I don't game much, and simply replacing the boot drive with a SSD (120 GB Samsung EVO) made this thing loving fly again. I really don't see any reason to upgrade my system (also a 2500k) for at least another year, except for RAM and storage. I'm down to ~30 GB of free space (out of 3.5TB of spinning drives - not counting the 30 GB of free space on the SSD).

Also chiming in on the WD Green hate, they have a high failure rate. For a storage drive, I'd get a WD Blue. Get a WD Black if you want a bit faster transfer speeds. I've had pretty lovely luck anytime I've owned a Seagate, the only other brand I'm familiar with that's still around is HGST (formerly Hitachi, they're owned by Western Digital now, but still a different line - I have 3 of them in my PC, 1 has a single bad sector after well over 6 years of 24/7 use, and it's remained as a single bad sector for 4 years).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 2, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've only ever had 2 hard drives fail on my in like, 20 years. I don't understand how it happens to people often enough to worry about it.

I got a few more externals recently, so i'm up to 8TB free out of 28TB. Should last me out the year. Hopefully by then 8TB+ drives are cheap and plentiful.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I kill a HDD every year like clockwork because I'm rough as poo poo on machines.

I keep a regular backup on a nas though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The last 3 drives I've had fail were all Seagate. One was only 6 months old, the others had 2-3 years on them.

No idea why, it's not like I dropkick my desktop (often). I've had one Western Digital fail on me (about 15 years ago). All of the other brands of drives I've owned don't exist anymore (Connor, Maxtor, etc).

I keep irreplaceable stuff (documents anyway) on Dropbox and OneDrive, and don't keep anything important on laptops as a general rule (I do keep my laptop linked to OneDrive and Dropbox as well).

I have enough bandwidth that I might go ahead and drop the money on some kind of cloud backup service and backup my entire desktop pc (sans music, since that's all mirrored by Google Play). Anyone have suggestions? Carbonite looks affordable, but I haven't kept up with who's good and who sucks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 2, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

I've only ever had 2 hard drives fail on my in like, 20 years. I don't understand how it happens to people often enough to worry about it.

I got a few more externals recently, so i'm up to 8TB free out of 28TB. Should last me out the year. Hopefully by then 8TB+ drives are cheap and plentiful.

I've never had a platter fail, and only ever had one SSD fail, an OCZ 250g thing I bought on special at the end of 2013. It lasted 6 months and then went from perfect to blue-screen "this isn't the boot device you're looking for" in an instant. Replaced it with a Samsung and never looked back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OCZ SSDs are total poo poo anyway, I'm surprised it lasted that long.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jared592 posted:

I know it's to be expected, but it's funny to me how we now have keyboard fanboys such that the switches are talked about like different regional strains of grapes are by wine snobs.

I remember this thing feeling awesome back in the day (Apple Extended Keyboard):

Got one at home, been meaning to buy an ADB to USB adapter so I can use it at work and piss everyone off with the noise :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I kill a HDD every year like clockwork because I'm rough as poo poo on machines.

I keep a regular backup on a nas though.

I put a 500gb seagate drive in my laptop when i first bought it in 09. it has over 700 hours on it at this point. It saw +45*c ambient running in australia. -45*c here in canada. bounced around the back of a truck for 50,000 miles, and it still works perfectly.

that laptop all around has outlasted my expectations by a few years.

• Locked thread