Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Found two Pepsi bottles from 1987 in a wall at work today. Time to chip some concrete off them and toss 'em on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
What a future we live in.

Edit;

Geirskogul posted:

In other news

So cool.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 2, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, you can count me in with the people who are utterly mystified why Pepsi aren't doing Back To The Future "Pepsi Perfect" special edition bottles for 2015.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In other news, day before yesterday I got to drive an organ transplant team to Phoenix Children's hospital, from the airport. They were from salt lake or something, three surgeons. They walked in with empty coolers, and six hours later they walked out with full coolers, still had specks of blood on their surgical caps and arms. Told us to drive as fast as we could back to the airport (lights and sirens gently caress yes), and they called ahead during transit so when we showed up to the airport there was a person holding the gate open and we sped right up to the plane, on the tarmac, ready to take off :hellyeah:

Overheard during transit, "Which one has the heart in it?"

"The one with the heart sticker you dingus."

"Oh yeah."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

Children's hospital
:smith:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Son of a loving bitch, weather forecast is calling for another 6 - 8 inches of snow and sleet Wednesday. gently caress winter so very, very much.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

One child down, but potentially three others saved, bro. Gotta stay positive.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

T1g4h posted:

Son of a loving bitch, weather forecast is calling for another 6 - 8 inches of snow and sleet Wednesday. gently caress winter so very, very much.

Same. In fact, one model has Memphis slated for 10+ inches. It's obviously wrong, but 4 - 6 inches is certainly reasonable for how this one is lining up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

As a parent I now find these types of stories a lot harder to deal with... yeah, three kids are getting a new lease on life and I'm sure they / their families have been through hell and back, but I can't help but think what the parents at PCH are going through. Makes me want to go give my kid a hug.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

There are a few people I've met who'd better serve society as a source of spare parts, young kids generally aren't among them, that's all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

Life's a bitch sometimes :gbsmith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I agree, it's a terrible, terrible thing. But usually when something happens to a child (>implying death), the parents are very reluctant to allow their organs to be donated, understandably so. The fact that they were willing to let the actual donations happen is rare enough, and I'm glad that a team was ready and recipients were ready and that the system actually functioned like it's supposed to.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This goes here

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

I agree, it's a terrible, terrible thing. But usually when something happens to a child (>implying death), the parents are very reluctant to allow their organs to be donated, understandably so. The fact that they were willing to let the actual donations happen is rare enough, and I'm glad that a team was ready and recipients were ready and that the system actually functioned like it's supposed to.

I really am glad you shared the story with us, it isn't often you get to hear about organ transplant teams doing their thing, also chuckled at the heart joke.

But yeah, as a parent that poo poo hits you right in the feels.

e; also, I think one of my oldest cats wandered off to find somewhere quiet... :( gently caress Mondays.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 2, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

This goes here

Can someone summarize the AI jorts thing for me? I assume there's something more to it beyond "jorts are funny", possibly involving Sockington, but I haven't been in AI long enough to know what it is.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dad's getting the itch to sell his '08 E90 M3 manual with 15k miles to get a new Corvette. What do I need to know about the new non-Z06 Corvettes? Any reason to get a '15 instead of a holdover '14? It'd be a manual, as god intended, probably not the track pack, but other than that, options open. Are they any better in build quality than the parts bin previous generations?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can someone summarize the AI jorts thing for me? I assume there's something more to it beyond "jorts are funny", possibly involving Sockington, but I haven't been in AI long enough to know what it is.

It has everything to do with Sockington and his ever-shorter jorts. The origin is somewhere in his thread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

It has everything to do with Sockington and his ever-shorter jorts. The origin is somewhere in his thread.

That thread is so drat long :downs:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Pham Nuwen posted:

That thread is so drat long :downs:

Bad AI'er! (j/k)

Sock's thread is definitely worth reading.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

As a parent I now find these types of stories a lot harder to deal with... yeah, three kids are getting a new lease on life and I'm sure they / their families have been through hell and back, but I can't help but think what the parents at PCH are going through. Makes me want to go give my kid a hug.

Yes, but now, hopefully 3 parents won't have to go through that. :unsmith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geirskogul posted:

The donor I got my small intestine from also supplied a heart and liver to two other children at the same hospital, it is likely that more organs went to other hospitals as well. It still amazes me they are able transplant as many things as possible and how much the success rate has improved since I received mine.

Whoever delivered my organ must have been slacking a bit, we beat it there by a couple hours. Good because we got there early and as soon as it arrived into surgery I went. Bad because the holy poo poo this is happening adrenaline wore off for everyone so we got to sit around and worry.

Lack of sleep this weekend is hitting me pretty drat hard. drat you Adiabatic for good beer, scotch and gaming then bullshitting until 2am or whatever. Worth it but I got home from work and crashed. Woke up to stuff my face then back to bed.

928 continues to be a wonderfully terrible daily driver, short in dash comes and goes taking the gauges with it.

Completely unrelated but I'm sick of not having a dog. I think it's time to fence in the yard and see what's available for adoption or if Mom will give me one of her retired show dogs.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey man scotch just happens sometimes you can't control it.

Dogs own get one with some lab in him. They're so lovable and appreciative :3:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Just got the word they're cutting my sister open on Friday. It's confirmed as mesothelioma, but of the subtypes it's like the best one. It's called well-defined papillary mesothelioma. We won't know if she gets to keep her lung or not till after the surgery. Then comes six months of chemo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My first dog is going to be an Irish wolfhound. I'm hoping to one day be able to breed them :3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. I have to run one more errand tonight but I got such a good parking spot that I don't want to leave.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. I have to run one more errand tonight but I got such a good parking spot that I don't want to leave.

#firstworldproblems

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

#firstworldproblems

It wouldn't be such a big deal if the new neighbors didn't have 7 people living in a 2 bedroom and each of them has their own loving car. I haven't parked in the primary lot in weeks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Weatherchat:

Tuesday's high: 64F

Thursday's low: 3F

4-6 inches of snow in between

Winter can stop anytime now.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It wouldn't be such a big deal if the new neighbors didn't have 7 people living in a 2 bedroom and each of them has their own loving car. I haven't parked in the primary lot in weeks.

My complex has a rule about how many people can live in an n-bedroom apartment so poo poo like that doesn't happen thank god

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

My complex has a rule about how many people can live in an n-bedroom apartment so poo poo like that doesn't happen thank god

I already complained. They all work various shifts and I guess it only looks like 3 people live there at any given time. Thankfully we get the keys to our new place in 25 days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

apologies for the postdump - didn't get to read up over the weekend.

trouserchili posted:

Goober Peas posted:

Input = Output
Hello.

I laughed WAY too hard at this. Thanks.

meatpimp posted:

I make my chili with STUFF, too. Including black, pinto and kidney beans.

And I serve/eat it on pasta with some cheddar cheese on top.

Now what.

I am Texan, and I approve this. Really, that poo poo's good. Or even just the "purist-approved" chili over pasta with cheese and diced onions. Mmmmmm!

MrChips posted:

Speaking of BOFHs, I really, really want to be one when it comes to my dad's computer. Nothing like spending an afternoon over at my parents' place, cleaning all the malware off my dad's computer for the umpteenth time, and locking that thing down would make my task so much easier. What is frustrating about this is every time I do it, I make sure all the tools like as blockers, anti-virus and automatic updates are working properly, and every time he finds a way to get around it. After I finish (like I will be shortly), we have "the talk", where I tell him that maybe is isn't a good idea to search for " free ..." on Google and mash the first link that comes up with no thought given...that sort of stuff. Every time, he pretends to listen and the cycle repeats every six to nine months.

At least my mom is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even have the knowledge to end up finding potential malware sources, much less bypassing all the protection in place

Why do you continue to allow him to be an administrator? Make him a regular user, then he can only poo poo in his own profile.

piss boner posted:

You need Tron - it's all the things you might need to do to fix "the parents" computer, automated in a script.
OK, that's pretty cool.

Tide posted:

<incoherency>

This made me laugh as well. A lot. Thank you.
The worst part is, I think I actually understand what you typed, or meant to type. And I had nothing to drink last night. Saturday night was just an Angry Orchard, and a little Fireball.

mariooncrack posted:

I am pretty sure Dallas has a booming tech industry right now.

And we have Chik-Fil-A!

Goober Peas posted:

Traffic in Austin now rivals SoCal, in my opinion. The infrastructure has not kept up with the population surge.

It's not fabulous in DFW.

Jared592 posted:

I know it's to be expected, but it's funny to me how we now have keyboard fanboys such that the switches are talked about like different regional strains of grapes are by wine snobs.

I remember this thing feeling awesome back in the day (Apple Extended Keyboard):

Code name for that thing was supposedly "aircraft carrirer". It is definitey a big sumbitch, and yeah, they were good, tough keyboards.

You Am I posted:

Got one at home, been meaning to buy an ADB to USB adapter so I can use it at work and piss everyone off with the noise :)

Oh, poo poo, I think I still have an ADB-USB adapter somewhere, and I know I have one of those keyboards. I need to bring that in to work!

Goober Peas posted:

This goes here

That's really a thing?

e: Aha!: http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/tagged/yankeecandle
(Also, the rest of that tumblr is... interesting.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 3, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Got one at home, been meaning to buy an ADB to USB adapter so I can use it at work and piss everyone off with the noise :)

Caps lock doesn't work right on most ADB to USB adapters for those, because of the positive locking caps lock key. I bet if you keep away from caps lock it works fine otherwise, though. Some guy built a library for the Teensy to handle the conversion.

I think this is it, but I thought I saw it on a different site: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think I'm a little heartbroken. I went to one of my favorite restaurants tonight and it was lovely. There were only two waitresses so they were swamped. The waitress was rude and seemed annoyed with my table. I think we sat there for over 30 minutes waiting for the bill. I fell in love with this place the first time I went there. I hate being that guy but since they've gotten popular they're not the same.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Was the food good still? Amazing and personable service make a place stand out to me, but I'll put up with subpar service as long as the food makes up for it.

Speaking of favorite restaurants, if any of you fools are in Phoenix be sure to hit up the Welcome Diner at 10th st. and Roosevelt. Place is the poo poo.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's a relatively good condition foxbody 5.0 coupe for sale.

I don't need it, I want it- knowing full well that it's a bad idea. All my money is going towards the down payment on our house and some immediate upgrades we want to make before we put a stick of furniture in it. Paint (me plus wife), slick out the ceilings (professional), new toilets and sinks and bathroom counters (me/wife plus local granite store), shower stalls (professional plumber after I rip out the old ones)..

The ceilings I can do myself, I just don't want to. The guy and his crew can do in 3 days what would take me weeks

Slick ceilings or a foxbody.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

Was the food good still? Amazing and personable service make a place stand out to me, but I'll put up with subpar service as long as the food makes up for it.

Yeah the food is still excellent. Not to get too E/N on you guys but I first found the place shortly after my mom passed away and I fell in love with it because it reminded me of the kinds of food she would make me. Shortly after going there I took my aunt and grandma there and we didn't speak a word of English to the waitress. Flash forward a year to where I'm being sat by the waitress and the waitress is telling me that "the special is the one with the really long name" while pointing at the menu. Last couple of times were so-so too but this time was a serious let-down.

Btw, glad that you're still alive Tide.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you sir :)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Goober Peas posted:

Weatherchat:

Tuesday's high: 64F

Thursday's low: 3F

4-6 inches of snow in between

Winter can stop anytime now.

Nashville or Memphis?

Either way, I'm sick of this poo poo. We've burned up all our snow days and now have to make them up by going in the Summer. Winter, quit loving up my Summer, thanks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So one of the owners of the store called us and asked us to do a "marketing lunch" (i.e. free food) to a restaurant close to where he lives today. He does this now and then, but not usually to a restaurant.

I wind up taking it. Turns out it's for the bartender at a pretty upscale bar/grill, she started laughing and said "I didn't think they'd remember to send this once they sobered up!". She told me 2 of the owners were in last night, and were absolutely hammered when they left. Explains why he sounded so bad on the phone. I'm gonna guess they tipped her pretty good too, since she tipped me :20bux:.

Got an unexpected new insurance card from my health insurance provider... with a new PCP listed. :argh: Sat on hold for nearly 40 minutes before I finally reached someone, they told me that when the renewal came in from healthcare.gov, it came in as a new policy instead of a renewal, and cancelled my old policy - thus, I got assigned a new PCP (at least they didn't assign one that only deals with low testosterone this time :v:). They were able to switch me back to my original PCP, effective tomorrow, but couldn't tell me if the referral he wrote for me to see a psych would still be valid. I'm supposed to see the psych in a few days, guess I'll find out then (also going in for bloodwork near the end of the month). Normally on an HMO in Texas, switching doctors is something that takes effect on the 1st day of the following month.

Tusen Takk posted:

I've learned that when selling phones, it's so much easier to get a little bit less and sell them on SA. I could sell on CL for more, but it seemed that whenever I said "Meet me at the police station" to anyone that inquired about it they never got back to me.

The Denton TX police department did a spot on the news recently where they encourage people selling on Craigslist to meet at the police station - they can perform the transaction in the parking lot, or inside, no need to call ahead, just show up.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's lucky for you to have an employer that doesn't "exploit" you. For everyone of you, there's hundreds of guys and girls who gets a warning if they take more than one bathroom break per day. If I skip my lunch or cut it short that just means I work more without getting paid more, since I can't go home until the next shift arrives anyway.

I got dragged into a meeting with HR when I worked at Whole Foods because I took a poo poo like clockwork about 45 minutes after eating every day.

I asked them what was so wrong with having to poop, they said I needed to get a doctor's note stating I needed to use the bathroom. :wtc: So I did just that, and the doctor made it sound pretty drat smartassed for me (something along the lines of "STR's digestive system appears to be very healthy, and works quite quickly, like most healthy human beings").

Apparently one of my coworkers complained about it. That was the only time I ever left my register outside of breaks/lunch, while she constantly left her register for any reason she could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So it looks like after I graduate, if we move forward with moving to Tampa Bay, it would be extremely easy for me to get a job at the Apple Store by the Int'l airport and work there while looking for a big-boy job instead of graduating and staying up here while trying to job-hunt from 1,000 miles away. I may even be able to do my internship without leaving Apple as long as I don't work on any mobile stuff, which would be great so I could keep my insurance then just transfer down there instead of trying to get rehired. An added bonus is that I would get a pay-raise at the store down there and I'd be able to work full-time and job-hunt as well.

:unsmith:

• Locked thread