Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Anteaters?
This poll is closed.
It's time. 15 22.06%
Fer shur. 25 36.76%
Always thought they had it. 13 19.12%
Been a fan since Day One. 15 22.06%
Total: 68 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

chaoslord posted:

Right now Arkansas would play the winner of Vandy and Tennessee. I want no part of Tennessee after what I saw. They're getting hot and could well make a run next week in the conference tournament. Hope to sidestep that whole mess.

Their offense is still pretty bad. When they hit 60 it seems like an accomplishment of late. I wouldn't read too much into the result of the LSU game unless they seem to carry it over into the weekend. Before last game they were like 1-8 or so in the last 9 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Perry Ellis out for only a week, so the conference tourney is a sunk cost, but that's not surprising, so at least it won't be like last year where the star player is out indefinitely.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

elentar posted:

Justin Anderson's just had his appendix out, so that'll settle the question of him being available for Louisville or the ACCT. Would be surprised and slightly alarmed if he even dresses for the first or second round.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCK :(

We ought to make the sweet 16 without him, so here's hoping he's ready by then. Hopefully being in great shape will help heal faster. And he seemed like he was going to make it back from the broken finger soon, too. :(

The first round is March 19/20. Two weeks may or may not be enough recovery time. Regionals on the 26th/27th. I'm not sure we can get to the final four without him.

eta: as far as the ACC tourney goes, we went from favorites to win it all down to "well if UNC/Louisville plays like poo poo we might make the championship game".

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV's Pat McCaw is out with a concussion for what might be a week. He could end up missing the first game of the MW tournament against UNR.

Well... going 1-2 against UNR could be better than going 0-3 against SDSU, right????

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Probably Magic posted:

Perry Ellis out for only a week, so the conference tourney is a sunk cost, but that's not surprising, so at least it won't be like last year where the star player is out indefinitely.

I almost felt bad for Kansas having one of their best players get injured a week before the tournament for the second year in a row, but then I remembered it was Kansas.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Meltathon posted:

I almost felt bad for Kansas having one of their best players get injured a week before the tournament for the second year in a row, but then I remembered it was Kansas.

Counterpoint: It was Embiid, who owns, and the tourney missed out on an awesome performance because of it. :(

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com/

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I remember posting this story in this thread (or whatever version it was back then) in 2006: http://www.kualumni.org/sports/the-original-aint-no-seats-story-revealed/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Really excited to campaign for Steve Alford at Indiana again.

e: although this would lead to Alford being happy and the world is always a poorer place if Steve Alford is being rewarded

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Tempted to make this my home page so I can get a good laugh at the beginning of every day.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Tom Crean has always reminded me of the Coffee Guy from MADtv:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

bearic posted:

I remember posting this story in this thread (or whatever version it was back then) in 2006: http://www.kualumni.org/sports/the-original-aint-no-seats-story-revealed/

I think there was a camping group named Brady Morningstar's DUI, and that's still my favorite to this day.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He looks like he's going to flash him. Jeez he's such a creeper. Never fire him, Indiana.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

...IN A VAN... DOWN BY THE RIVER.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tom Crean is has lost twice as many games to Northwestern as he's won. This is a true fact. Look it up.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

NCAA to release final verdict on Syracuse investigation at noon. So sick of it hanging overhead, just want the suspense to be over.

I'm hearing 14 vacated wins and two scholarships lost.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Apex Rogers posted:

Tom Crean has always reminded me of the Coffee Guy from MADtv:

Always reminded me of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Dantu posted:

NCAA to release final verdict on Syracuse investigation at noon. So sick of it hanging overhead, just want the suspense to be over.

I'm hearing 14 vacated wins and two scholarships lost.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2015/03/ncaa_penalizes_syracuse_basketball_for_rules_violations.html

Down three scholarships for the next four years.

Nine game suspension for Boeheim.

Forfeiting an unknown number of games.

Keeping the national championship.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So that's kind of an rear end kicking.

EDIT: If they already have 13 scholarship players, are they going to have to kick some people off the team next year?

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 6, 2015

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

gvibes posted:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2015/03/ncaa_penalizes_syracuse_basketball_for_rules_violations.html

Also 5 years of probation. The nine-game ban for Boeheim is for the first 9 ACC games next year.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Apparently 108 wins vacated moving JB back to 6th all time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

gvibes posted:

Jesus, just read about this, so long 'Cuse. At least your football team is..... um... drat sorry

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
That is more than I was expecting.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ross posted:

Likewise. Holy gently caress.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
"The school must return to the NCAA all funds it has received to date through the former Big East Conference revenue sharing for its appearances in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament"

drat son.

Jesus Christ, the ops director had his players' e-mail passwords and would e-mail professors pretending to be them :psyduck:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jesus Christ, the ops director had his players' e-mail passwords and would e-mail professors pretending to be them :psyduck:

wanna see those emails, betting they're hilarious.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ross posted:

:toot:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Starts on Page 17 of the NCAA report posted:

As part of this practice, the director of basketball operations and student-athlete support
services employees accessed and sent emails from student-athletes' accounts and
corresponded directly with professors. Numerous emails included attached academic
coursework, which was necessary to maintain the required grades for student-athletes to
remain eligible.

In an email to colleagues, the director of
student-athlete support services expressed concern, specifically noting that it "looks as
though work might have been done for these students." Although concerned, the director
of student-athlete support services did not report his discoveries to the provost or
compliance offices. Rather, he permitted the support services mentor and tutor to
continue working with student-athletes and even assigned the support services mentor to
a new student-athlete.

In its review, the institution first focused on metadata where the
"Author" and "Last edited by author" field was attributed to someone other than the
student-athlete.

Sounds like they were straight up doin' homework, this is some bad poo poo, and rumours around right now are that UNC is 10x worse (but that might just be a defensive tu quoque stance Syracuse people are taking)

Edit: For full disclosure, I should say I know some people who worked in the sports department at Syracuse and they were by far the scummiest people I have ever known so this is all sort of bittersweet pleasant to me though I do feel bad for the fans, this can only suck for them.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 6, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Oh this is a good day.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pathetic little tramp posted:

Sounds like they were straight up doin' homework, this is some bad poo poo, and rumours around right now are that UNC is 10x worse (but that might just be a defensive tu quoque stance Syracuse people are taking)

Edit: For full disclosure, I should say I know some people who worked in the sports department at Syracuse and they were by far the scummiest people I have ever known so this is all sort of bittersweet pleasant to me though I do feel bad for the fans, this can only suck for them.

Also it's infuriating because the NCAA is wildly inconsistent and their whole morality/integrity veneer insults intelligent life everywhere. See: Joe Paterno and Penn State.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Penn State getting those wins back was absurd in my opinion.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this forum so I'll stop now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What does "probation" mean?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Page 57 posted:

Despite this knowledge and the high-profile nature of the men's
basketball program and student-athlete 7, neither the institution's
academics nor athletics leadership proactively monitored or
reviewed the status of student-athlete 7's grade change. They
entrusted the director of basketball operations to inform studentathlete
7 of his options without any follow up. Worse yet, no one
questioned the manner in which student-athlete 7 was able to
secure the grade change to restore his eligibility in only two days
for a course he completed nearly one year earlier
. Instead, once
informed that the professor reviewed student-athlete 7's submission
and knowing that the men's basketball team had a competition the
next day, athletics staff tried to ensure that the professor finished
the grade change process prior to the close of business. Athletics
staff members continued to fail to review the circumstances
surrounding the grade change, despite the fact that the College of
Arts and Sciences questioned the grade change's timing and impact
on eligibility.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I wonder if that quote was from the Fab Melo season.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

After this I am worried that UNC might get destroyed completely or completely ignored. Yikes. This would be a terrible thing to find out about your program and I hope it never happens to us .

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

exethan posted:

I wonder if that quote was from the Fab Melo season.

Him or James Southerland.

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
Some in the media (Bilas of course) are treating the punishment against Syracuse as nothing but I think it 's pretty strong. It's a huge take down of Boeheim in terms of prestige. Enough significant suspensions of coaches could make them think twice, and it also holds the person at the top accountable.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WillKane posted:

Some in the media (Bilas of course) are treating the punishment against Syracuse as nothing but I think it 's pretty strong. It's a huge take down of Boeheim in terms of prestige. Enough significant suspensions of coaches could make them think twice, and it also holds the person at the top accountable.

Well, they could have came down a lot harder on him, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jastiger posted:

What does "probation" mean?

huh seems like you figured it out

• Locked thread