Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Anteaters?
This poll is closed.
It's time. 15 22.06%
Fer shur. 25 36.76%
Always thought they had it. 13 19.12%
Been a fan since Day One. 15 22.06%
Total: 68 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Retail Slave posted:

With Duke and Virginia losing, does that mean Wisconsin is probably going to be a 1-seed if they win the Big 10 tourney?

If this is a really stupid question I apologize. I only really follow college basketball for one month out of the year.

It's not and it'll have me pulling my hair out until Sunday. On the one hand, it's a major-conference team with 31 wins and both regular season (by 2 games!) and tournament titles, but that loving Rutgers game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I would think duke and VA secured #2 seeds already. I've not watched Nova, but perhaps WI can take their #1.

I live in Madison, the sports radio and general chat seems to be that it would be unfair for an overall #2 WI to be in Midwest region with Kentucky. If it gets more badger fans to the games and helps them get to round of 8, then who cares. Kentucky may not like it though.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

falz posted:

I would think duke and VA secured #2 seeds already. I've not watched Nova, but perhaps WI can take their #1.

I live in Madison, the sports radio and general chat seems to be that it would be unfair for an overall #2 WI to be in Midwest region with Kentucky. If it gets more badger fans to the games and helps them get to round of 8, then who cares. Kentucky may not like it though.

Nova is locked into a 1 in the east with a win tonight most likely. WI will probably jump both Duke and Virginia with a win today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Somewhat serious question. I get why they pretend it is four separate 16 team mini tournaments for the purpose of the regions and all that. But in reality the teams are seeded 1-64, with the 1-4 seeds given the #1s in their region, the 5 seed given the #2 opposite the 4 seed, the 6 seed the #2 opposite the 3 seed, and so on. Why don't the "bracketology" guys just treat it as a real 1-64 bracket? That would allow them to talk not only about seeds, but what matchup that seed is likely to give a team.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

But in reality the teams are seeded 1-64, with the 1-4 seeds given the #1s in their region, the 5 seed given the #2 opposite the 4 seed, the 6 seed the #2 opposite the 3 seed, and so on.

This is not how it is done, it is all about geography. That is why Wisconsin could end up as #5 overall, but still be the 2 seed with 1 seed Kentucky in the Midwest. It's stupid, but that's how it is.

edit: here's a longer explanation from a "bracketologist" (lol)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25094087/bracketology-geography-and-balancing-the-bracket

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 14, 2015

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

I would think duke and VA secured #2 seeds already.
Whoops, I meant #1. How dare those keys be so close to each other!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OctoberBlues posted:

This is not how it is done, it is all about geography. That is why Wisconsin could end up as #5 overall, but still be the 2 seed with 1 seed Kentucky in the Midwest. It's stupid, but that's how it is.

edit: here's a longer explanation from a "bracketologist" (lol)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25094087/bracketology-geography-and-balancing-the-bracket

Thanks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
And, to be honest, each tournament is slightly different based on the make up of the committee.

As for UVA/Duke --

I would not be at all surprised if they're both still on the 1-line tomorrow. I would also not be surprised if neither is on the 1-line tomorrow. From my own perspective neither should be. Both Arizona and Wisconsin should be, along with 'Nova.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I actually don't know if Arizona has the resume for a #1 seed. They have good wins: SDSU, Gonzaga, Utah x2, Oregon x2 (3???). But those losses (UNLV, OSU, ASU) are bad. Arizona is assuredly getting at least a #2 seed, but a #1? Eeeeehhhh that's kinda hard to justify.

It would be nice and not that surprising, but it's not very obvious to me that it'd be the right choice when Virginia, Wisconsin, and 'Nova (who should basically be assured of a #1 seed, win or lose today) all have better resumes.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pretty sure Virginia keeps the 1 seed over Duke if it comes to that

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I would be okay with UVA getting 1 seed, I am not okay with Duke getting one.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
I dont know what to expect from baylor but they almost had a chance while shooting 10% from three against kansas so if they can hit their fts and threes they can win, baylor bitch at least we got three wins vs wvu and will beat wvu next year in football and win the championship

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

anne frank fanfic posted:

I dont know what to expect from baylor but they almost had a chance while shooting 10% from three against kansas so if they can hit their fts and threes they can win, baylor bitch at least we got three wins vs wvu and will beat wvu next year in football and win the championship

you're adorable

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you're adorable

he's right tho

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

he's right tho

I'd be absolutely shocked if we won in Waco, so

Though lol at the idea of Baylor winning the championship (in anything)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
:toxx: I will become a superfan the likes of which this forum has never seen of whichever team knocks out Kentucky in the tourney.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

N: Arkansas players went to the tunnel to trash talk UK players leaving the floor.

V: So cute.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Arky wins

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Rumor is that some boosters are pushing hard for Ben Howland to replace Dave Rice at UNLV

At least I'm glad the replacement talk is happening

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I dislike Wyoming a lot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Big 12 Tournament was as much fun as advertised this year. Lots of great games, mostly involving ISU.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Glad for Wyoming, otherwise a terrible weekend so far for teams historically inept at making the tournament.

Meanwhile Tulsa slumped to the expected loss, really poor end to an otherwise great season. Guess they'll be in the NIT. Going by Haith's past record, that'll be his peak with the program, hope he proves it wrong.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News:

Views:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Edit: Wrong Thread!

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

:toxx: I will become a superfan the likes of which this forum has never seen of whichever team knocks out Kentucky in the tourney.

Youre gonna be a fan of a sixteen seed

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

anne frank fanfic posted:

Youre gonna be a fan of a sixteen seed

Hell yeah I am

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I actually don't know if Arizona has the resume for a #1 seed. They have good wins: SDSU, Gonzaga, Utah x2, Oregon x2 (3???). But those losses (UNLV, OSU, ASU) are bad. Arizona is assuredly getting at least a #2 seed, but a #1? Eeeeehhhh that's kinda hard to justify.

It would be nice and not that surprising, but it's not very obvious to me that it'd be the right choice when Virginia, Wisconsin, and 'Nova (who should basically be assured of a #1 seed, win or lose today) all have better resumes.

Would honestly be really cool to have Wisconsin and Arizona as 1/2 in the west again. Would love to see that matchup again if each team can make it that far

Am almost certain Arizona will end up #2 in the west regardless of what else happens. Not sure it makes a big difference whether we are 1 or 2

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Absolute Zero posted:

Would honestly be really cool to have Wisconsin and Arizona as 1/2 in the west again. Would love to see that matchup again if each team can make it that far

Am almost certain Arizona will end up #2 in the west regardless of what else happens. Not sure it makes a big difference whether we are 1 or 2

You're gonna be a 2 and we're gonna be a 7 in the same region. I just know it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
EDIT: Wrong thread :gonk:

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

*projected

SA2K posted:

You're gonna be a 2 and we're gonna be a 7 in the same region. I just know it.

Gotta be honest Lunardi has you guys 8 and hope that's the case. SDSU always plays us tough, even though we've won the last few no interest in playing again

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

falz posted:

Someone's getting beaten up my Kentucky as a #2, why does everyone seem to thing that WI shouldn't?

Or does everyone want Duke to draw Kentucky early again for super TV ratings.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I still don't see why they can't just toss geography out the window and place Kansas or even Gonzaga into Kentucky's region, rather than Duke, Virginia, Wisconsin, Arizona, or whatever other team gets the short end. Kansas wouldn't even be a geographic stretch. Or Notre Dame, I dunno.

edit: What a weakass bubble this year, geez.

elentar fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 15, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
N: ANTEATERS
V: BITCH

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

*projected

elentar posted:

I still don't see why they can't just toss geography out the window and place Kansas or even Gonzaga into Kentucky's region, rather than Duke, Virginia, Wisconsin, Arizona, or whatever other team gets the short end. Kansas wouldn't even be a geographic stretch. Or Notre Dame, I dunno.

edit: What a weakass bubble this year, geez.

Honestly this is one of the few years I feel like we could just do a top 8 tourney and it wouldn't make any difference in the final result. Just feels like there are 7-8 elite teams and everyone else

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Absolute Zero posted:

Honestly this is one of the few years I feel like we could just do a top 8 tourney and it wouldn't make any difference in the final result. Just feels like there are 7-8 elite teams and everyone else
Famous last words.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The city of Pittsburgh's NCAA hopes rest solely on the shoulders of Robert Morris. They are at least as likely to make the Sweet 16 as any Pitt team from the last 15 years, so GO COLONIALS.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Absolute Zero posted:

This is true almost every year but it misses the damned point.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

RIP Bill Walton

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2015/3/14/8216823/the-oregon-duck-ate-bill-walton

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

If you would rather watch the 3 games from the final four than the 32 games from the first round I don't know what to say...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Probably Magic posted:

N: ANTEATERS
V: BITCH

We now go to Mamadou for his reaction. Mamadou?

drat right!

• Locked thread