Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cojawfee posted:

If you are getting fanatec pedals, I think the highest you should go are CSR Elite. The clubsport pedals are probably really good, but at that point, you should go for a better set of pedals with a better load cell.

I already got the Elite Pedals with my Standard CSR, so I'm set on that. I'll wait a bit until the CSW is properly available and not by invitation only and then probably get that. Any opinions on the universal hub? It looks cool but it also looks like something that has a hundred points of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mine has worked out very well. It's annoying as hell to set up. Once you have it set up to your liking, it's awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

osker posted:

Holy gently caress, son. The location is C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\video.ini sorry for giving you directions off the top of my head from my phone while taking a poo poo at work.

That doesn't exist either. There is no Assetto Corsa folder in my Documents folder.

:iiam:

Edit: Found it in "I:\Assetto Corsa\cfg" of all places. AASAMPLES is already set to 1, and the game still crashes. :(

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2015

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

CaseFace McGee posted:

...but the ClubSport pedals vibrate
Yeah this is that one weird trick the government hates, but sim racers love.

Also, I'd like to point out that the load cell used on these is pretty loving good, but if for some reason you want to use another with a different loading curve, it is straight up exposed for replacement from eBay or omega engineerig.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Surely there must be a point where "Buy a real car, take to racetrack" becomes the cheaper, better option.

Here it is

Also, when I say "buy a real car" I mean, buying a brand new, off the showroom Ferrari or Porsche, not a 20 year old Honda Accord.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Falken posted:

Surely there must be a point where "Buy a real car, take to racetrack" becomes the cheaper, better option.

Here it is

Also, when I say "buy a real car" I mean, buying a brand new, off the showroom Ferrari or Porsche, not a 20 year old Honda Accord.

Definitely cheaper up front, but in a sim your fuel, maintenance, and repair costs are effectively $0 (yeah not exactly given electricity and occasional work on moving parts, but close enough). A crash or money shift costs nothing but pride.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

holocaust bloopers posted:

PROJECT CARS GO GOLD ALREADY

gently caress

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

gently caress

I am so excited for this

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

peter gabriel posted:

I am so excited for this

I've been bouncing between Forza and Driveclub for my console racing did, and it simply is not cutting it any more.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I've been bouncing between Forza and Driveclub for my console racing did, and it simply is not cutting it any more.

I've had an ever increasing frown / confused grimace over the on going let down that is Assetto Corsa

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I've had an ever increasing frown / confused grimace over the on going let down that is Assetto Corsa

Probably the quickest gaming honeymoon ever. Yay, a sandbox style racing game....with minimal variables other than "early in the daytime" and "later in the daytime", time attack and race, and....... If it weren't for a complete lack of competition nobody would be happy paying full price for the glorified beta. It doesn't even look good enough to justify its hardware requirements. Who knows it might kick rear end a year from now but dear God PCars needs to come out already and not be another Grid. The next update at least promises to make the smoke and reflection effects not tank anything that isn't a quad SLI 980.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 9, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I remember hearing good things about Assetto Corsa, what ended up happening to make it lame and bad?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nothing. It's a pretty solid game.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Control Volume posted:

I remember hearing good things about Assetto Corsa, what ended up happening to make it lame and bad?

More lame than outright bad, just the usual over promising and under delivering. It's a good driving engine in desperate need of something fun to do with it. Just exceedingly bare bones for a full product.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 9, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Control Volume posted:

A completely fine product that lacks cars, tracks, and variable racing conditions. For people who like sim racing and need a little more in terms of content, it's lacking.

I look at something like Driveclub as a racing game that pushes the genre farther than Forza/GT or any recent PC sim has in a while. That's mostly because of the incredibly impressive time of day and weather system. Honestly, it's tremendous.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 9, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Control Volume posted:

For me it gets one thing really right and that is the cars, they are gorgeous and feel awesome.
Other than that the AI is mind bogglingly bad and online races are a shitfest due to no real consequences, just a personal experience I know but there it is.
So that leaves me with a solo hot lap simulator and for this it can be great fun but for the long term it isn't enough for me.
The tracks are OK but inconsistent in look, some look great, some poo poo, but all drive really nicely.
The sounds are odd, there are huge CLANGS and CLUMPS all the time and all the engines have this other worldly food blender type vibe to them.

Overall it feels like there is a lot missing, I am patient and can wait for another year easily, but overall right now the bad outweighs the good for me.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

For me it gets one thing really right and that is the cars, they are gorgeous and feel awesome.
Other than that the AI is mind bogglingly bad and online races are a shitfest due to no real consequences, just a personal experience I know but there it is.
So that leaves me with a solo hot lap simulator and for this it can be great fun but for the long term it isn't enough for me.
The tracks are OK but inconsistent in look, some look great, some poo poo, but all drive really nicely.
The sounds are odd, there are huge CLANGS and CLUMPS all the time and all the engines have this other worldly food blender type vibe to them.

Overall it feels like there is a lot missing, I am patient and can wait for another year easily, but overall right now the bad outweighs the good for me.

The AI's random rear end application of the brakes drives me mad, it's a bigger immersion breaker than them being outright morons. Most of the game feels like a place holder, which is a little insulting when they're already peddling DLC. Then again it's not like we have any modern equivalent to play instead.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Assetto Corsa is fantastic and is still the game I play the most on Steam. Different people expect different things from their racing simulators. A lot of people want things like structure, competition (either online or offline), and variables to tweak the track with to make as adverse conditions as possible, and that’s totally understandable.

What I want in a sim is extremely tight physics that I can get in tune with that make it exhilarating to take corners as fast as I can, and Assetto Corsa excels at this. I just pick a favourite car and a favourite track and set myself laptime goals. Previously it was the Ferrari 288 GTO around Karelia in a minute, now I’m trying to get around Monza in 1:30 with the Lotus 49. It might just be because I’m a rally fan, but I really couldn’t care to have more cars on the track. When I just want to drive a certain car around a certain track, AC will be my go to for a while.

Assetto Corsa can be pretty lacking in content, more so their distribution of content is super weird with having dozens of Lotuses and BMWs but barely anything else. AC is only 1.0 though, they’ve said repeatedly that 1.0 only means release. They plan to keep patching in cars, tracks and features for a while yet. The first DLC is going to drop this tuesday that will add 10 completely new cars, but the real strength of AC will always be its mods, because there’s a lot of good ones out there. A lot of great WIP mods that have yet to be released too, I’m particularly looking forward to the Sport Quattro and the two Porsche mods.

tl;dr: If you like hotlapping and mods, AC is the best.

All that being said, Assetto Corsa doesn’t scratch the itch I have for a racing game where you go through a career and buy your cars. Project CARS should scratch that itch a lot better so I look forward to it for that. So yeah:

gently caress

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 10, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I haven't tried PCars yet (soon to be remedied), but AC is anything but a letdown imo. It doesn't have a huge variety of cars/tracks first party but the modding support is robust and the quality of the released and upcoming mods is high, and the FFB is excellent.

Dreampack/1.1 (preordered already) comes out on payday... I might get a wheel again before I have a real desk at home. :shepspends:

The single best sim experience I've yet had is Alfa GTA on Targa Florio in Power & Glory, everything is just so visceral. The dream pack comes with a GTA, and the Targa conversion lives, so the future is looking bright.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I haven't tried PCars yet (soon to be remedied), but AC is anything but a letdown imo. It doesn't have a huge variety of cars/tracks first party but the modding support is robust and the quality of the released and upcoming mods is high, and the FFB is excellent.

Dreampack/1.1 (preordered already) comes out on payday... I might get a wheel again before I have a real desk at home. :shepspends:

The single best sim experience I've yet had is Alfa GTA on Targa Florio in Power & Glory, everything is just so visceral. The dream pack comes with a GTA, and the Targa conversion lives, so the future is looking bright.

How painful/painless are the mods though? My previous experience has me hesitant, I don't particularly care for janky game installs and questionable support as the game gets updated.

I've got no agenda against AC, I want to like it more than I do but it's just missing so much that was promised. That and the lack of optimization makes it a bitch to get smooth gameplay out of it at times. To keep the minimum framerate above 60 entails running averages much high than that, which introduces input lag with vsync, but to keep the average closer to 60 requires settings that drop the min FPS below that too frequently.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 10, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Copy/paste car/track folder into /steaminstallpath/Assetto Corsa/content/(tracks or cars), though steam workshop will eventually be integrated. Last significant mod bork was when sound was transitioned to fmod, before 1.0.

e: Speaking of mods...
URD's 2004 Audi DTM is out (beta?) http://www.virtualr.net/audi-a4-dtm-2004-ac-released

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 10, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mods are really easy in Assetto Corsa. Luckily there is strong mod support because the default content is kind of lame.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mods broke a lot in the early access days of AC because they kept messing with the sound engine, but it's been reliable lately. It's just extracting an archive to the content/cars or content/tracks folder.

Edit: Didn't realize URD was releasing that Audi for free, adding it to the list.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 10, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
AC will be a fixture for years. Adding easy mod support is a huge asset.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Who knows it might kick rear end a year from now but dear God PCars needs to come out already and not be another Grid.
Anyone who's in on the testing builds of Project CARS (I didn't discover it till post-fundraising rounds) use a controller on PC? Does it feel good? Might get a wheel at some point, but now is not that point so I'll be rockin' my PS3 controller like I have been for other PC racing games (was a big Gran Turismo fan for 1~5 before the lack of damage/AI competition overwhelmed my continued interest).

I'd hope it's good since it's also coming out for consoles, but the console/PC controls might not be perfect control translations (or consoles might have some assists by default that PC doesn't) so I'd like confirmation from someone who has been playing it.

If so, I should probably get on preordering to get the bonus cars and help:

gently caress

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah I'm not saying AC is poo poo or anything and I am in it for the long haul, I just want it to be a bit more than it is right now, it's all good, this is a good time to like sims all round I think :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Control Volume posted:

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

Pick n pull. For real though, if/when I build a cockpit I'm gonna go try and pull a recaro out of something. :boom:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Are there any tricks to improving the graphics in AC? I'm maxing things out and using the post-processing filters, and I have the horsepower to push just about anything, but it never looks that great.

Then I'll see some screenshots online and it looks about 10 times better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
1. Custom PP filters. People have been sharing them on the official forums and I think there are a few on RaceDepartment, but they get involved real fast, with custom weather and colorcurve ini's.
2. Over/downsampling. Either rendering at a higher than monitor res and downscaling, or people stitching together multiple screenshots.
3. Setting the sun right. When I make a screenshot, 75% of my time is spent getting the sun position juuuuuust right for each shot.

But overall it is much less visually impressive than pCars or even Shift 2, just because they didn't really invest their limited resources in the look pretty part. :whitewater:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Linux Nazi posted:

Are there any tricks to improving the graphics in AC? I'm maxing things out and using the post-processing filters, and I have the horsepower to push just about anything, but it never looks that great.

Then I'll see some screenshots online and it looks about 10 times better.

Downsample.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anytime someone posts a picture it's always doctored. They might say it's straight from the game but they did something post processing to make it look nicer.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Control Volume posted:

Junkyard, if you can get something clean and comfy out of a decent car this will definitely be your best value for money. I wanted something rigid and not filled with someone else's farts, so I got a cheap racing seat and adjustable sliders from Jegs on Amazon for like 60 or 70 bucks on sale.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Some people like using sweetfx but as far as I could tell when I messed around with it, other than forcing additional sharpening, it mainly leads to less dynamic range and garish colors.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

365 Nog Hogger posted:

1. Custom PP filters. People have been sharing them on the official forums and I think there are a few on RaceDepartment, but they get involved real fast, with custom weather and colorcurve ini's.
2. Over/downsampling. Either rendering at a higher than monitor res and downscaling, or people stitching together multiple screenshots.
3. Setting the sun right. When I make a screenshot, 75% of my time is spent getting the sun position juuuuuust right for each shot.

But overall it is much less visually impressive than pCars or even Shift 2, just because they didn't really invest their limited resources in the look pretty part. :whitewater:

This. AC's extensive modding also applies to the post-process filtering. You can find people sharing their PP filters in the screenshot thread sometimes, but as mentioned, it can be a bit of a mess. And yeah, AC can look good if you get it just right, but really the graphics engine is severely lacking, it is a small studio afterall. Notably the engine only supports a single light source, so night racing likely won't be a thing for AC, maybe it will be for AC2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I only use SweetFX for sharpening on the rift. It increases the perceived resolution.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Enabling MFAA when I moved from a GTX 760 to a 970 seemed to be the biggest visual bump since the game's max AA setting misses a lot, and neither card can supersample without killing the frame rate (running 2560x1080 native). As said, it's just not a terribly pretty game and art direction wasn't high on the dev's list. It's amazing how much effort goes into fudging things graphically in Forza and especially Gran Turismo to give it a more realistic look.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 10, 2015

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Control Volume posted:

This is the best cheap bucket you're gonna find: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2100/overview/

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

osker posted:

This is the best cheap bucket you're gonna find: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2100/overview/

Your back is gonna be pissed you didn't spend more than $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Enabling MFAA when I moved from a GTX 760 to a 970 seemed to be the biggest visual bump since the game's max AA setting misses a lot, and neither card can supersample without killing the frame rate (running 2560x1080 native). As said, it's just not a terribly pretty game and art direction wasn't high on the dev's list. It's amazing how much effort goes into fudging things graphically in Forza and especially Gran Turismo to give it a more realistic look.

Driveclub is the most goddamn astonishing racing game I have ever seen. 1080p/30 and gorgeous as gently caress. As far as I'm concerned, it's the racing game to beat purely on visuals.

• Locked thread