Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Wicker Man posted:

It bugs me that all the monsters share an unspoken alliance with each other. Should have been some monster infighting.

I think all the monsters are actually aspects of "the old gods" or were created using their power. So they all have a lot more in common than they appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i liked it too, op

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

lonesomedwarf posted:

i liked it too, op

that is because you have good taste, lonesomdwarf

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ZombieParts posted:

It's got some amusing stuff in it but the film pretty much just rubs horror cliches in people's faces and is screaming "YOU KNOW WHTA THIS IS FROM!?!?"
Family Guy in the Woods.

Gaunab posted:

The only good horror comedy is Shaun of the Dead
I like to think of Gremlins as being both a horror comedy and a good film.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I heard a dude talking about Cabin in the Woods and saying "it was dumb, why were all those monsters under the house?"

It's fine to not like the movie, but how the gently caress could you not understand it?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

oh yeah i forgot about Gremlins

awesome movie. Gremlins 2 was good also

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Sombrerotron posted:

Gremlins had this great habit of setting up a tense scene and then jumping out and bonking you on the nose with a rubber chicken. (Usually filled with used syringes)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Cabin in the Woods would have been good if it was just a work comedy or just a horror movie until the end, instead the work comedy robs it of all horror and the horror makes the comedy less funny

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I always thought one of the major strengths makes 'The Thing' an amazing film is the fact it has and all male cast and thus ignores most movie character drama. (Unless there was some serious subtext between Fuchs and MacReady) The Descent does the exact same thing with it's all female cast. You never feel like it matters.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
It was a great movie.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Wicker Man posted:

It bugs me that all the monsters share an unspoken alliance with each other. Should have been some monster infighting.

Monster Parties; Fact or Fiction?

http://youtu.be/Fo4tzrxyXsA

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ShaqDiesel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6V2oCX3Hn4

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

A misanthrope posted:

I think all the monsters are actually aspects of "the old gods" or were created using their power. So they all have a lot more in common than they appear.

That makes sense. Keep forgetting about the weird lovecraft ending.

ShaqDiesel posted:

I'm totally the consultant guy at the desk.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A Thing would pose as an Alien and it would be all fun and games until somebody hits it with the flamethrower

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hellraiser Ripoff Guy is never going to get his chance to systematically murder dumb teenagers in the woods! :arghfist:

Another good thing about CitW is that while you are watching it you're like "hey I need to re-watch some of those lovely old horror movies it's referencing" and then you do

also lol the japanese ghost being defeated by the power of friendship at the beginning of the movie

it's just a little aside on one of the monitors but it's funny

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Cabin in the Woods is ironic Evil Dead 2, which kind of ruins the fun because Evil Dead 2 is all about cheesy enthusiasm

There's a lot of good moments in it, but it's like a string of good moments held together by sarcastic winks at the camera

e: ^^^ like yeah, that was a good joke

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
the title reveal at the very beginning is really good and sets the tone of the movie well. stopping everything to have ellen ripley explain everything for the slowbrainned kinda kills the ending for me

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

also lol the japanese ghost being defeated by the power of friendship at the beginning of the movie

it's just a little aside on one of the monitors but it's funny

and the reaction: "gently caress you! gently caress you! gently caress you!"

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Has anyone mentioned John Dies At The End yet

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Tucker and Dale versus Evil is a good spoof on horror movie conventions, even if the relationship in it was a little dumb

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'm thinking about imposing a new thread limit per day on redshirt

I know you have no life dude but drat

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

memy posted:

Has anyone mentioned John Dies At The End yet
movie was dumb as hell

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

redshirt and joss whedon suck but if you can watch cabin in the woods and not think it's a fun movie to watch then you're kind of an rear end in a top hat. it's not the best horror movie, i never remember being scared by it. but if you don't think the whole bit with the merman is funny then i dunno what to tell you. and the ending was probably the best part of the movie excluding sigourney weaver explaining everything to the audience like kevin spacey on house of cards.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

ya would you please do this? at this point he's just looking at his dvd collection for thread ideas.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

quakster posted:

movie was dumb as hell

this was one of the few movies I didn't bother watching past 10 minutes the last one of those i can remember was a simple plan

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
the redhead was like real-world cute in the movie although her butt seemed oddly shaped

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

gnarlyhotep posted:

A true horror.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
its a bad movie because it tries to be scary but then goes into comedy

its neither scary nor funny

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

Look at this idiot who didn't get it.

Lots of people didn't get this genius movie.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like as a person that has wasted a lot of time watching B-horror flicks that it was made for me

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

the movie was not trying to be scary is i think the point everyone is trying to make. if you really feel the "scary" elements of the movie interfered with how funny some parts were, you're a real pussy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like as a person that has wasted a lot of time watching B-horror flicks that it was made for me

Also, BTVS.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You can't really judge Cabin in the Woods unless you're one of those guys who jokes about how he's totally ready for the zombie apocalypse and spends a week at Zombie Survival Camp with his $2500 lime-green zombie-themed assault rifle. I am content to say it was simply not made for me.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

the redhead was like real-world cute in the movie although her butt seemed oddly shaped

Im gonna need you to cite your sources

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I've only seen the remake of the thing should I watch the original ASAP

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Pookum posted:

lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pookum posted:

wait like the original original or the john carpenter movie they made that lovely prequel film out of a few years ago

the original film from the 50's is kinda unremarkable

if you haven't seen the one from the 80s ya you need to watch that

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Monkey Fracas posted:

wait like the original original or the john carpenter movie they made that lovely prequel film out of a few years ago

uh oh wow i meant like the 80's one. Ive only seen the more recent one with the icelandic dudes and the smarty pants autistic guy from criminal minds is in it too. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

Is the 80's one a lot better?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's a good joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You can't really judge Cabin in the Woods unless you're one of those guys who jokes about how he's totally ready for the zombie apocalypse and spends a week at Zombie Survival Camp with his $2500 lime-green zombie-themed assault rifle. I am content to say it was simply not made for me.

yeah that has nothing to do with the movie

did you even watch it

• Locked thread