Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Because 1. It's kinda scary, but really because 2. It's the meta-movie made up of just about every other horror movie.

I read this on the AV Club so I know it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Thing is referenced in CitW.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

How the gently caress did you get scared watching the joss whedon comedy movie.

There were some tense moments. The intro to killing scene. The mass slaughter at the end.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sweet Tea posted:

pulp fiction is the best romantic comedy imo

Agreed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Nothing like a movie that makes you think of better ones.

Well, the movie's premise indicates that all other horror movies were rituals performed to appease the Old Ones.

As shown in this Joss Whedon film.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

like any other joss wheaties movie or show its the same loving thing with a different girl (that he wants to be(

You're right though in that it does hearken back to Buffy Season IV.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Revitalized posted:

wait really?

I remember like a million references in that movie but I don't remember The Thing. Was it in that awesome end sequence?

No, it's one of the other failed rituals shown earlier in the film.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Revitalized posted:

wait really?

I remember like a million references in that movie but I don't remember The Thing. Was it in that awesome end sequence?

http://www.avclub.com/article/almost-every-horror-reference-cabin-woods-explaine-211254

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sweet Tea posted:

do your loving research before you start a thread, you little bitch

:69snypa:

It's all explained in my link.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stockholm is The Thing reference.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sweet Tea posted:

just because there's a helicopter and snow it doesn't mean it's a reference to the thing.

dumbass.

lol u went to cabin in the woods wiki

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I was on board with Cabin in the Woods until the stoner character didn't die because of course the Troper has to be the one with the skills to pull through being axe murdered

Yeah but it's because the stoner lived - and broke American horror convention - that the Old Ones rose up at the end and destroyed the world. That's the joke.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

Merman

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

I would have liked to see KEVIN

When the monsters are getting loose from their glass cages and its pandemonium, explosions, just have a quiet moment of a cage opening with the word KEVIN on it and a lone 29 year old guy with glasses steps out wearing blue jeans and a tshirt, walking calmly down the hallway

Did you click my link above? Kevin is in the movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gaunab posted:

The only good horror comedy is Shaun of the Dead

It's alright. Just chuckle level as opposed to the brilliance that is CitW.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zazi posted:

jesus christ that breakdown on the AV Club is retarded.

"Batdragon - a reference to the vampires from Blade, by the way the bat's mouth opens."

or just generally something slapped together by the CG department for the loving retarded end sequence

seriously that film was actually quite good until they went down into the facility and it's just a bunch of garbage jammed on the screen for 20 minutes of pointless gore.

How does the awesome ending ruin this movie?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zazi posted:

Because there's nothing of merit to be said about the exact nature of the horror movie dynamic. That AV Club review finished with a blanket statement that we, the audience/old gods, keep coming back to see the same movies being made over and over, with the same ritualistic character-death dynamic and that we apparently 'need' to move away from this dynamic and work from a fresh slate.

The problem is that the state of horror movies has long since moved from there, with the exception of starter works (student and low budget films that no one really expects to make it big, mostly exist as a training exercise). Horrific comedy pastiche films have been making essentially the exact same tired point for as long as the cliche has existed, except they usually don't have the massive sense of self-importance required to go all the way and make it so overtly meta-textual. They tend to just present a stock-standard horror storyline with exaggerated features and rely on the audience to recognise that the cliche is being evoked intentionally specifically because of its absurdity.

Yes, you still see the occasional horror film that ends with the one girl walking out alive formula (see the 2011 The Thing for instance), but even those never have the whole nerd/jock/slut/nice guy story plan that's being essentially complained about or, if they do, as mentioned it's being made light of.

So what you've got is a film that starts off with a reasonably interesting premise that gives its audience the credit of seeing that it's highlighting certain classic elements of horror films [edit] while gently bringing in a new angle with the amusing juxtaposition of the obscene horror with the mundane office environment [/edit]. But then it seems to jarringly run out of ideas, to the point of even not knowing how to end itself. Everything interesting about it just stops, and we see a 20 minute gore fest that rubs in a point that I don't think was there when the movie started by simply pointing at horror movie tropes and acting as if lampshade hanging was itself a replacement for interesting commentary.

yeah yeah yeah trap sprung etc.

Good post. But I'm not sure how you can conclude the ending is some kind of ad hoc "we don't know what we're doing" exercise. Clearly the entire movie is set up for this ending - a complete reversal of the typical horror movie ending. That the stoner lives but by living dooms the entire world to destruction, and we, the audience (old ones) are put in the position of actively wishing for his death at the hands of the other surviving friend is a twist on the focus usually applied to horror films. The movie so thoroughly subverts the horror convention that in attempting to apply typical horror expectations on it, it still works.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol. U rule.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

It bugs me that all the monsters share an unspoken alliance with each other. Should have been some monster infighting.

They each recognize who their oppressors are. Remember they've all been detained for who knows how long.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm thinking about imposing a new thread limit per day on redshirt

I know you have no life dude but drat

A true horror.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

its a bad movie because it tries to be scary but then goes into comedy

its neither scary nor funny

Look at this idiot who didn't get it.

Lots of people didn't get this genius movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like as a person that has wasted a lot of time watching B-horror flicks that it was made for me

Also, BTVS.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

wait like the original original or the john carpenter movie they made that lovely prequel film out of a few years ago

the original film from the 50's is kinda unremarkable

if you haven't seen the one from the 80s ya you need to watch that

It's a good joke.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Djeser posted:

oh yeah the item they chose was 100% bullshit

if you're gonna play on expectations do the loving mermen or something

The merman shows up though, to great affect.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mr. Popo posted:

Joss Whedon's career

God drat Buffy was hot in Season 4.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mr. Popo posted:

Joss Whedon's career

The best gif

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

etherealshaq posted:

the best horror movie is the texas chain saw massacre, how is this even an argument

Did that movie have a murdering unicorn? I think not.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Board o' monsters.
I like how witches and sexy witches are in separate categories.

Kevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You see we, the audience, are the Old Ones, demanding horror movies follow cliched "tropes". And when a movie fails to do so, than the film is killed by the Invisible Hand that is the movie purchasing public. At the box office.

• Locked thread