Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Verhoeven owns since even when he makes exploitive trash like Show Girls, it still owns for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

your basic arachnid warrior isnt too smart but blow off a limb......and its still 86% effective.

heres a bunch of mobile infantry kids now that look like they could eat bugs for lunch!

Huhuhu yum yum yum *bedroom eyes*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Why did the rifle blow the lab arachnid apart with one bullet at a time, but all the others had to be hosed down by entire platoons before even taking a scratch?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mods do the flying, gbs does the dying

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wicker Man posted:

Why did the rifle blow the lab arachnid apart with one bullet at a time, but all the others had to be hosed down by entire platoons before even taking a scratch?

it was the display model

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A misanthrope posted:

sorry robocop is better

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
think we had this thread before

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Volume posted:

The movie is also filled with great political commentary such as this.

I like the bit where the one guy says he joins the army because school would have cost him an arm and a leg.
And then he gets killed by dismemberment in the very first battle.

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Well duh, I mean if everyone spoke German they would figure out that they were all Nazi stooges.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 2, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

I like the bit where the one guy says he joins the army because school would have cost him an arm and a leg.
And then he gets killed by dismemberment in the very first battle.

I like how in the future everyone speaks American, even in Buenos Aires

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im watching this now on netflx and ace is playing dixie on his neon green fiddle. thats loving hilarious

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a suqaredance with dixie playing in the middle of a warzone. how have i never noticed this. verhoven is a funny guy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

in the grim dark future, there is still the friend zone

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

etalian posted:

Verhoeven owns since even when he makes exploitive trash like Show Girls, it still owns for some reason.

He seriously needs to make another action movie. Someone needs to turn this avengers, everyone is out for doing the right thing bullshit on it's head. Just gratuitous PG-13 violence, with a gently caress all attitude.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kind of sad to think that we'll never get another action movie quite like this because big budget action movies have a higher bar of quality now.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lister posted:

Kind of sad to think that we'll never get another action movie quite like this because big budget action movies have a higher bar of quality now.

like robocop 2014.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

lawfare posted:

is there a name for 'sex with bugs' fetish or is that still just considered a furfag?

lol you can see the film crew, outline of camera lens, and spotlight in the reflection of the eyes.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Was it ever explained how the bugs could aim/redirect/fire/whatever meteors across galaxies? I get that there are plasma bugs, but its on the other side of the milky way. Or is that the point, a jab at lovely military intelligence designed to fit your existing motives

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

dud root posted:

Was it ever explained how the bugs could aim/redirect/fire/whatever meteors across galaxies? I get that there are plasma bugs, but its on the other side of the milky way. Or is that the point, a jab at lovely military intelligence designed to fit your existing motives

It was the government, in a ploy to start a war with the bugs.

It was the humans who were invading. "It's afraid," wasn't just some bullshit imagined ESP, it was afraid, because these rear end in a top hat humans were coming to take over their world.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

It was the government, in a ploy to start a war with the bugs.

It was the humans who were invading. "It's afraid," wasn't just some bullshit imagined ESP, it was afraid, because these rear end in a top hat humans were coming to take over their world.

humans did Buenos Aires.

The thought of bugs sneaking massive astroids through the defense network is hard to believe.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

id kill the poo poo out of the bugs too. just look at em

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ajyGCh0rs

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There's no more reason to believe bug plasma can launch a meteor than that jet fuel can melt steel beams

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Half of Jake Busey's face is an ear-to-ear smile that's all teeth...just these fearsome, gigantic chompers that make him look like a Shambler from Quake. He's hoppin and scootin around like some kind of spaz, but goddamn the man can play a mean neon-green fiddle. For the briefest of moments, the universe's hardest (both figuratively and literally) men and woman forget the fact that they are brainwashed conscripts fighting an eternal war against gargantuan xenocidal space bugs. For the briefest of moments, all that matters is Busey's wildman fiddling. Nobody gets too close to Busey, though, until somebody does and Busey leans over like he's going to whisper something to the man. But then Busey's jaw is unhinging like a snake and those teeth are closing down on either side of the guy's head and Busey's literally biting this FNG's head off. There's blood everywhere but already half a dozen soldiers are crowding around just so they can cop a feel of the hot red stuff. They're smearing blood on their faces and purring and growling and generally being real wild maniacs. It's something the brass will never truly understand, even when they're doing everything they can to exploit it. You'll never be able to explain to a man like Colonel Doogie Howser--a closet homosexual wound tighter than a girdle on a Baptist minister's wife at an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast--why it feels good to cut another man's head off; you're never going to convince him why you need to gently caress your bunk buddy right after you kill a (wo)man from another squad and worship the god of death. If the whole thing was just about killing bugs, there wouldn't be twenty minutes of jump cuts between Rico executing recruit after recruit, and then humping Dizzy, and then killing more recruits.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

drat johnny rico gettin to second base like whoa

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
showere scene. neon green tech violin. giant pussy monster. it's afraid.....IT'S AFRAID

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
why didnt they just nuke the loving planet

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
they had mother loving spaceships and they didnt live there

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
hey op

Legit thread. I love Starship Troopers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm talkin the outer rim....

Zegema Beach :smug:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

It's weird that at one time anime was actually good

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Paul Verhoven: Under-appreciated genius.

Total Recall
RoboCop
Basic Instinct
Showgirl
Starship Troopers

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

humans did Buenos Aires.

The thought of bugs sneaking massive astroids through the defense network is hard to believe.

Listen, I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL THEM ALL!

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

like robocop 2014.

It lacked charm, humor, an R rating, and toxic waste meltman splashing against a ford taurus.

"I wouldn't buy that for a dollar" indeed.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Sorry but the matrix is the greatest movie of all time

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

SD87 posted:

Sorry but the matrix is the greatest movie of all time

its legacy was riding on sequels which were terrible and spent their inheritence on hookers and blow

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Matrix was a loving fluke and everything the wachowski brothers have put out since proves that

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

Bolow posted:

The Matrix was a loving fluke and everything the wachowski brothers have put out since proves that

Their first film, Bound, is actually a pretty decent film.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's no more reason to believe bug plasma can launch a meteor than that jet fuel can melt steel beams

thermite/termite

makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How come there haven't been any legitimate Starship Trooper games? I mean, there was that one game where you just defend outposts from swarms of bugs while NPC teammates complement each other, but it had basically nothing to do with the spirit of Starship Troopers. I'm talking about Ironside finger-loving head holes with a cyborg gauntlet, and battle buddy sex minigames, and Mass Effect "dialogue" where you sexually harass Fleet pilots, and that sort of thing. Where's the "Brick Breaker" games that slowly reveal a nude Dina Meyer? It's outrageous that here we are in 2015 and we're still practically banging rocks together like cave men.

• Locked thread