Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Why was their future prom band playing a deep cut from David Bowie's Outside? Like how did that get there? It's seriously loving weird.

Dance Scene:
http://youtu.be/JOwtI8nLXIc

David Bowie - Oxford Town:
http://youtu.be/nArLuubNjKs

The war in my head between Starship Troopers and Robocop for best movie ever is never ending. Usually Robocop is winning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Bolow posted:

The Matrix was a loving fluke and everything the wachowski brothers have put out since proves that

Speed Racer is loving awesome.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How come there haven't been any legitimate Starship Trooper games? I mean, there was that one game where you just defend outposts from swarms of bugs while NPC teammates complement each other, but it had basically nothing to do with the spirit of Starship Troopers. I'm talking about Ironside finger-loving head holes with a cyborg gauntlet, and battle buddy sex minigames, and Mass Effect "dialogue" where you sexually harass Fleet pilots, and that sort of thing. Where's the "Brick Breaker" games that slowly reveal a nude Dina Meyer? It's outrageous that here we are in 2015 and we're still practically banging rocks together like cave men.

dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCqTXR-EhNw

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately

A misanthrope posted:

sorry robocop is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97uNzbBfis

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
nothing wrong with those tits

Ole_the_Inventor
Dec 29, 2008
Startship Troopers was an insult to Robert Heinlein!
And I normally enjoy Paul Verhoven movies..

NATO4EVER
Ole

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ole_the_Inventor posted:

how so

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

He seriously needs to make another action movie. Someone needs to turn this avengers, everyone is out for doing the right thing bullshit on it's head. Just gratuitous PG-13 violence, with a gently caress all attitude.

blomkamp

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ole_the_Inventor posted:

He deserved to be insulted. The book is trash.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Its 330 am and I'm watching starship troopers again.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

Why did the rifle blow the lab arachnid apart with one bullet at a time, but all the others had to be hosed down by entire platoons before even taking a scratch?

Its different when your target is locked in a cage and you have time to aim at the nerve stem.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jake Busey gets a neon fiddle from sick rear end crate and is like whoa mang

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Volume posted:

Its different when your target is locked in a cage and you have time to aim at the nerve stem.

Was he using explosive rounds or something? Each shot blew massive holes but later on bullets look like they are just bouncing off when entire squads are shooting a single bug.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

One of the last times this thread came up someone pointed out that Starship Troopers and Robocop being in the same universe and that kinda blew my mind a little.

But Verhoeven directing Avengers lol gently caress that would rule.

Can you imagine this scene being done today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mqDjcGgE5I

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Wicker Man posted:

Was he using explosive rounds or something? Each shot blew massive holes but later on bullets look like they are just bouncing off when entire squads are shooting a single bug.

The main dude kills them by the dozens at the end using the same rifle that a half-dozen guys earlier in the movie had to fire full-auto to kill one bug. It's Starship Troopers, the bullets just do whatever the over the top fascist propaganda needs them to. Also this movie is great to rewatch and remember that it happened before 9/11, between this and Robocop's version of the police I'm pretty sure Paul Verhoeven came from the future to make hosed up preemptive satire.

Also, there's a shower scene with like, butts n stuff

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

One of the last times this thread came up someone pointed out that Starship Troopers and Robocop being in the same universe and that kinda blew my mind a little.

add total recall to that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bolow posted:

The Matrix was a loving fluke and everything the wachowski brothers have put out since proves that

I think V for Vendetta was....okay.

I rewatched it the other day and it was definitely more enjoyable than anything else they've done (depending on how you feel about speed racer) but the scenes were people in london were watching the news were just ridiculous.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
more stuff needs to get the starship troopers "actually i loving despise everything the original work stands for, time to direct it as a satire" treatment imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

reignonyourparade posted:

more stuff needs to get the starship troopers "actually i loving despise everything the original work stands for, time to direct it as a satire" treatment imo

The entirety of American culture and society needs this treatment.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Starship Troopers was a pretty good movie.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Starship Troopers sure was a movie.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

the fact Verhoeven won't or can't make movies like robocop and starship and total recall anymore is really sad and depressing

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I like that for a decade after the movie came out you could spot mobile infantry body armour and helmets in all sorts of scifi tv shows because they litereally made like 2000 suits for all the extras and some film props company just started selling or loaning out shipping containers full of them to be modified.

Firefly straight used the original armour for the Alliance soldiers.

"ARE YOU RATED TO REPAIR THE M-3 TACTICAL HELMET RICO?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

drunkill posted:

I like that for a decade after the movie came out you could spot mobile infantry body armour and helmets in all sorts of scifi tv shows because they litereally made like 2000 suits for all the extras and some film props company just started selling or loaning out shipping containers full of them to be modified.

I always thought it was retarded how Spartan their training was considering how kiddy gloves they treat them when it comes to actually signing papers. Buttercup can't handle some broken eggs? Let her go home

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

copyright holders are bitches

lmao http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers#The_Completely_Unsafe_Live_Firing_Exercise

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Alan Smithee posted:

I always thought it was retarded how Spartan their training was considering how kiddy gloves they treat them when it comes to actually signing papers. Buttercup can't handle some broken eggs? Let her go home

The idea was that they were the best fascists because they really, really had to want it even though their life was pretty good before they joined. They can basically walk away from boot camp whenever they feel like it. This is funny in the movie, but the book plays it straight and a rich kid joins the Nazis because he really, really wants to bang a girl be all he can be.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ole_the_Inventor posted:

The book is right-wing propaganda and deserved to be made fun of.
http://www.blastr.com/2014-11-20/actor-michael-ironside-his-new-movie-extraterrestrial-total-recall-starship-troopers-and

Michael Ironside posted:

When I first got that script and went to the meeting, I said, "I've got to ask you, what are you going to do with this?" And Paul said, "Are you questioning me?" He meant like, "Why are you asking that?" I said, "Well, it’s a super right-wing piece of material," which it was, you know. It was very paranoid. It was based on the idea of what happens if these Communists take over the world, and it had a whole very right-wing kind of feel about it. So I said, "What are you going to do with this?" He said, "Look, if I stood on a soapbox and told everyone in the world right now that their right-wing and fascist way of looking at things doesn’t work, nobody would listen to me. So I’m going to create a perfect world where everyone’s beautiful. It has the best technology, but it’s only good for killing bugs." And I laughed and I said, "I’m in." It’s an amazing, amazing political satire.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd read a book of quotes from Michael Ironside.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

drunkill posted:

How about the fact this live fire drill is in the middle of the loving base. No walls to absorb bullets.

Helmet would not have saved his rear end either.

That bitch was a moron for having her finger on the trigger and weapon not on safe while looking behind her.

It's all around retarded and a horrible drill.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SwissCM posted:

He deserved to be insulted. The book is trash.

What's it like being a terrible person with terrible opinions?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

How about the fact this live fire drill is in the middle of the loving base. No walls to absorb bullets.

Helmet would not have saved his rear end either.

That bitch was a moron for having her finger on the trigger and weapon not on safe while looking behind her.

It's all around retarded and a horrible drill.

Who-ah!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

fatherboxx posted:

Jake Busey gets a neon fiddle from sick rear end crate and is like whoa mang

in starship troopers, the enemy that fight has no hands or buttons

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the book gets a lot better if you read it like rico is a gip superstar

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

StashAugustine posted:

the book gets a lot better if you read it like rico is a gip superstar

i read it like rico is 50 foot ant.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
it's not demolition man

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bolow posted:

Speed Racer was at least better and more fun than it had any right to be.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvwhIStnDw8

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

perfection

edit: lol at the speed racer giving the hwole audience a simultaneous orgasm

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

watch this while my av and sig flash on the sides and you will travel through time

• Locked thread