Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

a rowdy mullet posted:

Quick question to any A's fans out there: I'm driving down from Seattle for a solo west coast road trip in mid-may. I'm planning on going to an A's game as well as a Dodgers game during the trip; I've never been to an MLB game outside of Safeco so I'm pretty loving excited. Being a 20something dude with low standards and not a lot of cash means I won't be getting a hotel room in San Fransisco, but there's quite a few cheaper hotels to the south of the coliseum along Hegenberger Rd towards the Oakland airport. Am I going to get my rear end kicked walking to/from the game and the BART station in that area? I drove around the north and east sides of the coliseum during another road trip last year just to scout it out and was thoroughly sketched out :stare:

It depends on what area you're walking in after the game. Most of the hotels you're probably looking at are south of San Leandro Street, so you're probably fine; however, if you decide to go north of San Leandro Blvd. after a night game and you don't know the area well, you're probably putting yourself in a pretty bad situation.

But yeah, there are a lot of people walking around after the games (but again, only within a mile or so of the Coliseum tops), so you're probably fine. Most of the hotels by the Coliseum are south of San Leandro Street, too, so that helps.

What's your budget look like? You might actually be able to stay downtown, which would be better for having some fun before and after the game, too.

Mornacale posted:

Unless you are a huge idiot, the only thing unusually dangerous outside the Coli/BART is those bacon-wrapped sausages they cook on the pedestrian bridge. It turns out that you don't get stabbed just because there are poor black people in a neighborhood.

The area behind the Coliseum is notoriously crime-ridden (and most residential anyway) and I would never recommend that an unfamiliar out-of-towner that's traveling alone walk around there at night.

Senf fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Senf posted:

It depends on what area you're walking in after the game. Most of the hotels you're probably looking at are south of San Leandro Street, so you're probably fine; however, if you decide to go north of San Leandro Blvd. after a night game and you don't know the area well, you're probably putting yourself in a pretty bad situation.

But yeah, there are a lot of people walking around after the games (but again, only within a mile or so of the Coliseum tops), so you're probably fine. Most of the hotels by the Coliseum are south of San Leandro Street, too, so that helps.

What's your budget look like? You might actually be able to stay downtown, which would be better for having some fun before and after the game, too.

The area behind the Coliseum is notoriously crime-ridden (and most residential anyway) and I would never recommend that an unfamiliar out-of-towner that's traveling alone walk around there at night.

I'm looking at $100-$125 a night, and it looks like there's a few places in that range near the coliseum but not so much in downtown Oakland (which I admit haven't visited yet; the last time I stayed in Berkeley which was perfectly fine). The available hotels look to be about a mile's walk south of the coliseum, so there's a fair walk involved. If all else fails I suppose that Lyft or a cab should be around before/after games, but I'd like to do some sightseeing in SF/Oakland during the day too. BART is pretty drat useful compared to what we have in Seattle so it's just a matter of finding something near a station.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dbacks release cody ross :rip:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

a rowdy mullet posted:

I'm looking at $100-$125 a night, and it looks like there's a few places in that range near the coliseum but not so much in downtown Oakland (which I admit haven't visited yet; the last time I stayed in Berkeley which was perfectly fine). The available hotels look to be about a mile's walk south of the coliseum, so there's a fair walk involved. If all else fails I suppose that Lyft or a cab should be around before/after games, but I'd like to do some sightseeing in SF/Oakland during the day too. BART is pretty drat useful compared to what we have in Seattle so it's just a matter of finding something near a station.

I obviously don't know the exact dates of your trip, but I did a brief look on my phone for places in San Francisco and Oakland and it looks like The Mosser over on 4th Street (in San Francisco) is going for about $135 a night throughout mid-May. It's only a block from Powell BART station, which is a pretty convenient hub for doing poo poo in the City and beyond. I know it's a little more than you've budgeted, but it might be worth it for the location alone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Last time I was in the Bay Area, the Knights Inn by the North Berkeley station was cheap and nice.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

hifi posted:

dbacks release cody ross :rip:

Ssory :smith:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RIP 10 million dollars

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rand alPaul posted:

I hope Kris Bryant is the next Justin Smoak.

Two years ago I went to see the Mariners play the Pirates so I could see Jason Bay for the last time. There was a dude at PNC with a Justin Smoak jersey, I was impressed.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Well speaking of M's fans in Oakland I just finally bothered looking and found that the game I'm going to catch while in San Fran next weekend is going to be the M's 6th game of the year. Hence - cross country random M's game Felix start. 1 in 5 chance and all, but with my luck I half expected it to be Miguel Bautista.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

Well speaking of M's fans in Oakland I just finally bothered looking and found that the game I'm going to catch while in San Fran next weekend is going to be the M's 6th game of the year. Hence - cross country random M's game Felix start. 1 in 5 chance and all, but with my luck I half expected it to be Miguel Bautista.

Hopefully for your sake I'm wrong but for a lot of teams the opening week schedule includes more off days than normal so there's a chance you get whoever the #2 starter is instead. You might hear it brought up now and then when talking about injuries how a team doesn't need a fifth starter until like mid-April and that's because they're able to give their 1-4 full rest because of all the extra off days.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Hopefully for your sake I'm wrong but for a lot of teams the opening week schedule includes more off days than normal so there's a chance you get whoever the #2 starter is instead. You might hear it brought up now and then when talking about injuries how a team doesn't need a fifth starter until like mid-April and that's because they're able to give their 1-4 full rest because of all the extra off days.

Hmmm. Hadnt thought of that. Espn just listed him but I assume they're just listing the starters in order. They do have a single day off the first week too. While I'd normally be all for skipping JA Happ I really hope they dont. Hasagawa is a decent consolation prize but even then I'd rather see Walker or Paxton.

Edit - M's site lists Happ for the day before but they may just be counting out five games too. Fingers crossed.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 5, 2015

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Hasagawa is a decent consolation prize but even then I'd rather see Walker or Paxton.

Did I miss something this offseason?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rand alPaul posted:

I hope Kris Bryant is the next Justin Smoak.

You monster.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently real baseball is starting soon? I can see grass outside so this might be true.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It's time for a new thread. Spring Training is over.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even at the time I didn't understand that move for the Braves, not when they had no one to play second (and still don't have great MIF options)

There's this dumb narrative that the Braves are trying to cut down on strikeouts this season because they signed Markakis and Callaspo except they traded La Stella and they signed Gomes and EY Jr and did not find a way to get rid of Chris Johnson or Melvin Upton, Jr and their shortstop and catchers still can't hit.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Baseball more like Based Ball if you ask me.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Craptacular! posted:

Afraid that I don't understand. Did you think it's a Cubs billboard, because it's actually by Adidas (a Bryant sponsor.)

If the Cubs were marketing him like that, then yeah.

If they had already informed sponsors he would not be starting with the team no matter what he did in Spring Training it could be probative of the fact that this wasn't done in good faith.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Lloyd McClendon moved a lot of starting pitchers around to give them extra rest days, especially Felix. So I wouldn't trust that you'll get Felix that time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
gently caress the Cardinals forever. Go Cubs!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Retail Slave posted:

gently caress the Cardinals forever. Go Cubs!

:agreed:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

There's an article on the Mariners' site saying that Friday will be Walker, Saturday, Happ and Sunday, Felix.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Senf posted:

Shigetoshi Hasegawa is finally back on the Mariners bullpen! I loved that guy.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Senf posted:

Lol holy crap. Clearly I meant Kaz Sasaki.

Pungry posted:

Shigetoshi Hasegawa is finally back on the Mariners bullpen! I loved that guy.

Bullpen? poo poo. I apparently have him starting a game.

Edit again - Looks like I missed that Paxton took the #2 slot anyway. Not even gonna worry if they skip Happ due to the day off. It's not Felix, but I'd like to see him live.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 5, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Kluber deal's 5 guaranteed years are worth $38.5 mil. There are also two option years but I don't know what the dollar value on those are yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I made a N/V thread for this month, hope I did it right http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711355

• Locked thread