Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Baseball is the best sport because a color commentator can be rambling during a Spring Training At-Bat about whether or not the current player up to bat is on his "last leg", then a half-second later the pitcher throws the ball squarely into the batter's leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kang hit a HR today. I will champion this player I know little about and I hope he does well.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Yup, even fielding errors made by the pitcher :shepface:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Drunk Tomato posted:

Baseball is the best sport because a color commentator can be rambling during a Spring Training At-Bat about whether or not the current player up to bat is on his "last leg", then a half-second later the pitcher throws the ball squarely into the batter's leg.

Poor Dom Brown.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Also, wow it's nice to see Big Ben Davis is still in baseball!

edit; speaking of mortal enemies of Curt Schilling

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 3, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Jeterian levels of poise and clubhouse leadership right here folks!

http://justmets.mlblogs.com/2015/03/03/david-wright-scolded-noah-syndergaard-for-absence-during-intrasquad-gam/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Lunch is the most important meal of the day, shame on you David Wright

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eric Sogard would have been cool with it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
But what was he having for lunch? What kind of garbage journalism is this? I need details!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am entirely too excited to go home and watch the recap of today's Yankees game since they pretty much put all of the big-name farmhands in together.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Thanks Aaron.

Oh No! Oh Noooooooooo!!!!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Matt Duffy's bat handles

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Inspector_666 posted:

I am entirely too excited to go home and watch the recap of today's Yankees game since they pretty much put all of the big-name farmhands in together.

Being able to watch actual baseball games on my tv again is a great feeling. :neckbeard:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Someone is about to get traded for Victor Zambrano

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Being able to watch actual baseball games on my tv again is a great feeling. :neckbeard:

How can I use your time machine?

Groucho Marxist fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 3, 2015

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
"Asked about the incident, Syndergaard said it was, “miscommunication,” as he had not eaten lunch earlier in the day."

It was a misccomunication that he hadn't eaten lunch?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Groucho Marxist posted:

How can I use your time machine?

ok, actual fake-baseball games.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Dingleberry Jones posted:

"Asked about the incident, Syndergaard said it was, “miscommunication,” as he had not eaten lunch earlier in the day."

It was a misccomunication that he hadn't eaten lunch?

No, silly. This clubhouse communicates via lunch. Different foods mean different things. By not eating lunch, he missed a vital communiqué, and a good, proper scolding was in order. Or a sternly worded, notarized letter. Or better yet, a Reuben on pumpernickel, in keeping with the team's secret food-code.

See, when you're handed your lunch, you should be able to figure out the plan for the next few days at camp. They do this to keep hackers and media types from snooping on their intra-clubhouse communications. Also, it allows them to use bologna to mean "dick," which is generally a good thing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is it with Mets and "know your place, rookie" bullshit hazing?

And why has Mr. Met never been indicted for the things he did to Lastings Milledge?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Harlock posted:

Matt Duffy's bat handles

Owns. He'll probably be just a utiltiyman when he comes up in 2016 but I'm still rooting for him all the way.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Owns. He'll probably be just a utiltiyman when he comes up in 2016 but I'm still rooting for him all the way.

His walkup song better be Day Bow Bow.

edit: https://www.simpsonsworld.com/video/312266307647/related/312265795663

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 3, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This is so stupid

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Harlock posted:

Kang hit a HR today. I will champion this player I know little about and I hope he does well.

I really want Kang to be the destroyer of baseballs he was toward the end in Korea.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Harlock posted:

I like him already

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I know it's not pronounced the same but if Kang makes it big, someone on the Pirates needs the nickname Kodos.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Or Kor and Koloth.

Kang can really swing the bat'leth, you see.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
JJ Hoover didn't allow a run.:woop:

The Reds scored 10 runs. :woop:

The Reds won. :woop:

It's so nice to have baseball back.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is so stupid

The Mets are a dysfunctional middle school.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
And on that note, Daniel Murphy apparently "disagrees" with Billy Bean's "lifestyle." (Bean's visiting Mets camp).

Goddammit

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Spring Training is cool for a short while because you get to have baseball! after a long and arduous drought but then you realize that the pitcher is some prospect you've never heard of and the batter is a guy you know has been DFA'd twice and you can't wait until real baseball starts.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

zakharov posted:

And on that note, Daniel Murphy apparently "disagrees" with Billy Bean's "lifestyle." (Bean's visiting Mets camp).

Goddammit

Eh, the full quote isn't as terible

quote:

Murphy, a devout Christian, said he would embrace Bean despite a divergence in their beliefs.

"I disagree with his lifestyle," Murphy said. "I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual. That doesn't mean I can't still invest in him and get to know him. I don't think the fact that someone is a homosexual should completely shut the door on investing in them in a relational aspect. Getting to know him. That, I would say, you can still accept them but I do disagree with the lifestyle, 100 percent."

But Murphy also saw the moment as an opening for a conversation and an avenue to get past stereotypes. The issue, he says, was "uncharted territory."

While there may be a perception that Christian athletes may not be accepting of gay players, Murphy says that it is not the case.

"Maybe, as a Christian, that we haven't been as articulate enough in describing what our actual stance is on homosexuality," he said. "We love the people. We disagree the lifestyle. That's the way I would describe it for me. It's the same way that there are aspects of my life that I'm trying to surrender to Christ in my own life. There's a great deal of many things, like my pride. I just think that as a believer trying to articulate it in a way that says just because I disagree with the lifestyle doesn't mean I'm just never going to speak to Billy Bean every time he walks through the door. That's not love. That's not love at all."

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Not many things more awkwardly funny than a homophobe thinking he's taking the high road.

edit: Assuming ambassadorship for all Christians and claiming they have a homogeneous stance on homosexuality doesn't actually help him out here either.

Crion fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 4, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zakharov posted:

Goddammit

I constantly get Bean and Beane confused and thought that Daniel Murphy had a serious problem with advanced stats.

That was much funnier.

Juan Berenguer
Feb 21, 2006

Troxartas posted:

Eh, the full quote isn't as terible

I feel like disagreeing with an essential aspect of who someone is is actually worse. He's saying that you can't be gay, which is so hurtful.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual."

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
i dont disagree with this rock, i disagree that the rock is a rock

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Inspector_666 posted:

I constantly get Bean and Beane confused and thought that Daniel Murphy had a serious problem with advanced stats.

That was much funnier.

No, it's the Marlins organization that takes issue with Billy Beane's beliefs

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Monicro posted:

i dont disagree with this rock, i disagree that the rock is a rock

how about you know your role and shut your mouth

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
how could i shut my mouth when there are All These Dicks

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Juan Berenguer posted:

I feel like disagreeing with an essential aspect of who someone is is actually worse. He's saying that you can't be gay, which is so hurtful.

Yeah, reading the whole thing it's still more or less "God Hates Fags", but with slightly more polite language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spoeank posted:

I know it's not pronounced the same but if Kang makes it big, someone on the Pirates needs the nickname Kodos.
I'm an even sadder nerd and want to find a way to figure out a saying that incorporates Kang the Conqueror

• Locked thread