Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Problem description: My laptop will not stay connected to the internet (despite all other devices on my network able to remain connected). I am on a wireless connection shared between about 7 other devices in my home: Laptop, PS3, PS4, iPad, Kindle, 2 smartphones. These devices are almost never used simultaneously and there will be only 1-2 active connections at any given time, so I don't think the issue is related to bandwidth.

The problem is that the connection issues are intermittent and specifically on this laptop. The connection will drop, page load will hang, and I'll receive the message "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" despite the SSID being broadcast and available - and connected to other devices. The laptop network adapter will eventually show "No Access", "Limited Access", then fully reconnect, but it's annoying that it continues to drop without knowing any real reason why.

Attempted fixes: I've Googled for a number of different fixes and all of them seem related to using this process:

ipconfig /releasel
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset

via the command line. However, it only seems temporary as the problem returns. I've disabled IPv6 connectivity on my adapter on the recommendation from another post but I'm not sure if it's having any effect.

Recent changes: I recently switched from a very old cable modem/router combination to an all-in-one wireless modem, which is when the problems began. I suspect that the modem/wireless broadcast issues are originating from it, but as it's working well (and faster) for all other devices on my network than previously, I would like to continue to use it.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium

System specs:
Computer:
Toshiba Satellite A-355-S6935 (MFG 2009)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @2.00GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit

Modem/Router:
Technicolor TC8305C
H/W Ver: 1.5

Wireless Card: Intel 5100 A/G/N
Driver update: 1/13/2010
Firmware Version: 13.1.1.1

ISP: Comcast

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Do you have a lot of 2.4 GHZ networks in range that might be causing interference? In the name of power savings, a lot of newer wireless NIC's (broadcom and realtek are real bad about this) aren't very good at all. An Intel normally won't do that... if it's losing connection to DNS, try manually setting a different DNS on the NIC itself?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

Do you have a lot of 2.4 GHZ networks in range that might be causing interference? In the name of power savings, a lot of newer wireless NIC's (broadcom and realtek are real bad about this) aren't very good at all. An Intel normally won't do that... if it's losing connection to DNS, try manually setting a different DNS on the NIC itself?

I live in a suburban neighborhood in a house and there's probably 8 other networks in range.

I'm pretty sure I know how I would manually set a DNS, but I'm not sure what address I should be using. Any help there?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For testing use the Google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.. Note that your ISP's DNS servers typically provide you with the IP of the closest server to you when resolving queries (in addition to the fact that the DNS server is closer), this won't work if you use Google servers so you will see longer response times.

It would be a good idea to upgrade to a router that supports dual-band Wireless so it also supports the newer 5Ghz band, rather than only the obsolete 2.4Ghz band. Your laptop at least is dual-band, and newer Wireless-AC devices can no longer use the obsolete 2.4Ghz band (though most Wireless-AC devices still have a backup Wireless-N radio, this won't be the case forever). This makes you immune to the crowding and interference caused by your neighbors and other devices.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Alereon posted:

For testing use the Google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.. Note that your ISP's DNS servers typically provide you with the IP of the closest server to you when resolving queries (in addition to the fact that the DNS server is closer), this won't work if you use Google servers so you will see longer response times.

It would be a good idea to upgrade to a router that supports dual-band Wireless so it also supports the newer 5Ghz band, rather than only the obsolete 2.4Ghz band. Your laptop at least is dual-band, and newer Wireless-AC devices can no longer use the obsolete 2.4Ghz band (though most Wireless-AC devices still have a backup Wireless-N radio, this won't be the case forever). This makes you immune to the crowding and interference caused by your neighbors and other devices.

Thank you! I'll try the Google servers with the laptop when I get home. This issue is frustrating as it doesn't reliably drop after a certain period of time - it seems random.

After my switch to the Comcast-provided modem/router my DNS listed my location as Kentwood, MI (I'm in the Denver area), when it updated itself over the last few days.

I do believe that the Cisco router which I had (I bought it in the last year) should support dual-band wireless, however, I figured that a combination modem/router wouldn't also allow me to use a separate router on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Update on this: I used the OpenDNS IP addresses and it seems like it has solved the majority of the DNS probe issues I was experiencing. It's not 100%, as I will still occasionally drop, but it's much more infrequently now than it was before I started using their DNS addresses.

• Locked thread