Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

mune posted:

I'm familiar with why the first three are lovely people but I didn't know anything about Ferguson's time on TUF. What did he do that was so bad? (I don't watch TUF, or fights)

He got drunk then berated a guy for abandoning his child because Ferguson himself was the son of a single mom and derives his punching power from his daddy issues.

It really wasn't bad except for the fact that he was RIDICULOUSLY belligerent about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It was pretty bad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

At this point I think it'd be more impressive if those wins were over Satoshi Ishii.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

One of us went to prison? poo poo just got real.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wish they'd try and actually generate popularity for the women and start focusing on populating the division instead of only caring about Ronda's next kill or the fight that will springboard the fighter to be Ronda's next kill.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EmmyOk posted:

I wish they'd try and actually generate popularity for the women and start focusing on populating the division instead of only caring about Ronda's next kill or the fight that will springboard the fighter to be Ronda's next kill.

They are promoting the gently caress out of women it's just that nearly all of their fights eat poo poo and not in a fun, Eastern bloc way

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Burt's gone? gently caress. He was the best part of the backstage videos and was the best hype man.

ALL NIGHT LONG BABY

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Requesting information about the prisoner.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I genuinely can't tell if this whole prison thing is a joke or not, I imagine this is how people feel about my stalking of JT

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I genuinely can't tell if this whole prison thing is a joke or not

Neither can I but I'm worried if I ask the thread will sense weakness and circle around me hooting and beating their chests.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
She was annoying on TUF and whatever but I actually kinda enjoyed the fight where Esparza won the title. Namajunas came in with the big Dana White hype job and Esparza mentally broke her and tapped her out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Live audio of Holly Holm Saturday night.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Bellator is filing an injuction against rampage so he has to pull out of the maldonado fight.

Roman Herbom fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 2, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Roman Herbom posted:

Bellator is filing an injuction against rampage so he has to pull out of the maldonado fight.

It's weird that they're filing suit in New Jersey since 186 isn't taking place there, the UFC isn't based there, and as far as I can tell neither Jackson nor Bellator are based there. Anyone with any legal experience have any idea why that would be?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
maffew is at least in prison.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

It's weird that they're filing suit in New Jersey since 186 isn't taking place there, the UFC isn't based there, and as far as I can tell neither Jackson nor Bellator are based there. Anyone with any legal experience have any idea why that would be?

bjorn offered to put him in a chancery and rampage said great, i can't wait to wrassle again

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

bjorn offered to put him in a chancery and rampage said great, i can't wait to wrassle again

Here in 'sconsin, this is the Chancery, and I have no doubt Rampage would love to spend a few hours in there devouring the whole menu.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

fatherdog posted:

Probably for the same reason a lot of software patent disputes are filed in that one Texas district.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

Probably for the same reason a lot of software patent disputes are filed in that one Texas district.

What's that reason?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fatherdog posted:

i'm not a lawyer, but my dad is, and i know he talks a lot about precedent being set in certain courts (no one gives a poo poo what happens in idaho, but NJ/Mass/NY are referenced a ton more), so it's possible they want this to set a precedent for their MMA contracts. i would imagine NJ is more prestigious than vegas, court-wise

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

What's that reason?

Basically they get friendly judges and country bumpkin jurors that know diddly poo poo about the intricacies of software/tech IP. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/east-texas-courts-are-back-on-top-for-patent-lawsuits/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Sounds like this is coming in via the MMA Hour but MMAFighting.com has some quotes from Rumble about the prank stare-down fight with Jones:

quote:

Johnson said White let out a squeal when the two big light heavyweights feigned a fight. When asked to mimic it, "Rumble" was at a loss.

"I can't do it," he said. "It was so high. The pitch of his voice was so high, but the expression on his face was priceless."

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
how do we make this the background of the forum http://cdn2-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/2014/08/dan-cormier-jon-jones-getty.jpg

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skip My Posts posted:

What's that reason?
It's been awhile but thinking back to i4i vs. Microsoft and other cases like it, certain districts tend to heavily favour one side or the other in certain suits. In that Texas district it's usually a slam dunk for the plaintiff in software patent suits and it sends the case straight to appellate court.

While I'm here, I missed the Koschek fight so can someone please tell me if this is as hilarious in motion:

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

While I'm here, I missed the Koschek fight so can someone please tell me if this is as hilarious in motion:

not really. until this point ellenberger was frozen by his opponent's movement again. and his opponent was elite striker josh koscheck

edit: oh you mean just the sub. yeah it was pretty cool and funny

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Wow, Cat got loving paid.

quote:

Main Card (Pay-per-view)
Ronda Rousey ($65,000 + $65,000 = $130,000) def. Cat Zingano ($100,000)
Holly Holm ($25,000 + $25,000 = $50,000) def. Raquel Pennington ($10,000)
Jake Ellenberger ($68,000 + $68,000 = $136,000) def. Josh Koscheck ($78,000)
Alan Jouban ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Richard Walsh ($8,000)
Tony Ferguson ($24,000 + $24,000 = $48,000) def. Gleison Tibau ($50,000)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
Roan Carneiro ($12,000 + $12,000 = $24,000) def. Mark Munoz ($47,000)
Roman Salazar ($8,000) vs. Norifumi Yamamoto ($15,000) ruled a no contest
Tim Means ($17,000 + $17,000 = $34,000) def. Dhiego Lima ($10,000)
Derrick Lewis ($15,000 + $15,000 = $30,000) def. Ruan Potts ($10,000)

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Valmir Lazaro ($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def. James Krause ($15,000)
Masio Fullen ($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def. Alexander Torres ($8,000)

A bit of a bump up from her last fight (9k/9k beating Nunes).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I want that "Sorry I said you disappeared when your ex-husband killed himself" money.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
If she won she would have had the largest disclosed payday on the card since she was still eligible for a win bonus. :(

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So Cat had a better deal than Rousey? Wow.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why is Jake paid more than Ronda?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
ppv points are the answer to all those weird questions

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Man, I hope she has all the sponsorship money, because she ought to be getting paid more than that for being that damned good. Good on Cat for getting paid, though, wow.

I know there was some skepticism about the ability of WMMA as a headliner to draw, especially replacing such an anticipated fight. How did it do, ultimately, anyone know? Was that concern justified or not?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EmmyOk posted:

Why is Jake paid more than Ronda?

He's not. The disclosed figures are meaningless. Ronda gets ridiculous money, somewhere in the seven figures and Cat likely got more than her disclosed too.

Agreed posted:

Man, I hope she has all the sponsorship money, because she ought to be getting paid more than that for being that damned good. Good on Cat for getting paid, though, wow.

I know there was some skepticism about the ability of WMMA as a headliner to draw, especially replacing such an anticipated fight. How did it do, ultimately, anyone know? Was that concern justified or not?

We won't have a good idea for a few days (and even then it's only a range) but all of the indicators are high. It's not going to be as big as the last two shows but it looks like it was significantly up from the last show Ronda main evented (340,000 on PPV.) Dana was touting the 2.7 million dollar gate but tickets went on sale when it was still a double main event.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 2, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So Cat had a better deal than Rousey? Wow.

No. Ronda makes way, way, way, way way wayawayayay more money than Cat Zingano or anyone else on UFC's roster. Ronda just doesn't have a high purse because she doesn't need it. Cat negotiated for $100k for fight because she hedged her bets that she might not be champion which was obviously the smart thing to do. Ronda could be on a 10/10 contract and it wouldn't matter because she probably makes several dollars per PPV buy, which she will continue to earn until she retires.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

niethan posted:

ppv points are the answer to all those weird questions

Oh yeah, forgot about that, explains a lot. Still a good payday for Cat at least.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Well, let's see. Burlington County has no significant cities apart from some suburbs of Philadelphia, and most of it lies within the Pine Barrens, so not only are they filing suit in NJ, they're doing it in the most obviously bullshit county in the state. Since UFC 186 is being broadcast they could probably file anyplace that you can buy that PPV, i.e. almost anywhere in the country and many places abroad, meaning they probably selected the venue carefully.

I'm just spitballing, but chancery court also handles mortgage default and foreclosure, and New Jersey generally and Burlington County specifically are inundated by those. It's possible that if Bellator files in Burlington County they can get the injunction to stop the fight issued right away, but the court won't be able to actually hear the case for some time. IIRC Rampage's contract with Bellator was voided because they very clearly failed to hold up their end, so their case probably isn't very strong and they're likely to lose. But by filing in this specific underfunded/overloaded venue, even if the suit immediately falls apart at trial, the trial won't happen in time for UFC 186 to go ahead as planned. In which case they'll lose the case but they'll have inconvenienced UFC and Rampage.

Alternatively, Burlington County may merely have a reputation for being unusually plaintiff-friendly in these kinds of cases. If you happen to know a NJ lawyer you could ask them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Evan, could you use your superior legal brain to free muh boy Maffew B?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ronda will be starring in a movie with the dude from The Raid

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/2/8135639/ronda-rousey-to-star-alongside-iko-uwais-in-action-film-mile-22

quote:

This will be Rousey's first time starring in a film. She had a small role in "The Expendables 3" last year and bigger roles in "Entourage" and "Fast & Furious 7," both of which come out this spring. In "Mile 22," Rousey will play a CIA field officer forced to work together with an Indonesian police officer (Uwais) to tackle violent and extreme political corruption.

WME Global is in talks to handle funding the film, Variety reported. Rousey is represented by WME and agent Brad Slater. Uwais, an Indonesian actor, starred in "The Raid" and "The Raid 2."

"I'm very excited at the possibility of working with Ronda and Iko to create a film in the spirit of this new wave of combat cinema emerging from Indonesia," Berg told Variety. "Ronda and Iko will be a very unique and powerful team."

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Evan, could you use your superior legal brain to free muh boy Maffew B?

Uh, I'm dumb enough to enjoy MMA, clearly I'm not an actual lawyer but rather somebody who has only read about abuse of process and venue shopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

At this point I think it'd be more impressive if those wins were over Satoshi Ishii.

They... were?

• Locked thread