Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Pierce fight was good. So was the GSP fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Are people forgetting the first Lawler fight? That was like the most badass fight of all time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I was a bit glib. I remember several of his 3-round split decision fights as being underwhelming. The Koscheck fight stands out in my memory that way.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Aldo and GSP have been similarly dominant in their weight class, but 170 is much deeper and broader than feather, so GSP's performance is more impressive in an absolute sense, and will remain so for a while. Featherweight is filling out and is much better than it was when the WEC was first folded in, but it's got a ways to go before it's anywhere close to the murderers row that is 155 and 170.

Edgar and Florian were two of the best 155ers

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Fine he's had other interesting fights, it's more that they're in spite of him and not because of him. This culminated in the second Lawler fight which by round 5 was an epic battle of a guy epitomizing the most exciting aspects of mma vs the guy who makes it hard to argue when a casual is like "He's just hugging him / being a blanket / nuzzling his balls!" As long as he's knocking guys out and losing decisions I guess that'll do, I just hope he never gets the belt back.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Decades posted:

Hendricks is boring and bad (reference - every fight not involving a first round ko or Condit)

You're retarded. Hes the most exciting fighter ever. Every single fight owns, and its almost all against great fighters.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Ok I was a bit glib. I remember several of his 3-round split decision fights as being underwhelming. The Koscheck fight stands out in my memory that way.

The koscheck fight is the only one that wasn't good

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

You're retarded. Hes the most exciting fighter ever. Every single fight owns, and its almost all against great fighters.

Yeah

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Hendricks.... is good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Brian Bowles got cut, and not by the nice old lady at the end of his cul-de-sac this time.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
its entirely possible that the ricardo funch fight was bad

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Ronda's mom is up there with Mr. Machida for "MMA parents who would have owned if MMA was around 30 years ago".

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
No great wrestler should have terrible ground and pound

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Hendricks would be the best fighter ever if he weren't addicted to junk food and video games. As is he's still pretty good.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Served.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't love Hendricks (cept' Christina)

Johny Hendricks is married to a Christina... but not THAT Christina Hendricks.

I remember his Pierce fight being boring too but I could just be remembering wrong. I was inclined to agree that all his fights that weren't first round KOs or Lawler 1 were kinda lame. Though I haven't seen his fights before like, the Pierce or Waldburger fight I think.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

drat

also hendricks is good and has good fights

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Reading through tweets about Watson's departure from the UFC.

Used your instead of you're:

Tim Sylvia
Chris Camozzi
Tito Ortiz
Jeremy Stephens

Used it correctly:

TJ Grant
Jake Ellenberger
Chris Holdsworth
Cub Swanson

Good stuff for your next trivia night with the bros.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Ariza posted:

Reading through tweets about Watson's departure from the UFC.

Tim Sylvia
Chris Camozzi
Tito Ortiz
Jeremy Stephens

Used it correctly:

TJ Grant
Jake Ellenberger
Chris Holdsworth
Cub Swanson

Good stuff for your next trivia night with the bros.

I appreciate this.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ariza posted:

Tito Ortiz
:ortiz:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
TUF: ATT vs Blackzillians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZhCC2-Po9c

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I wonder how it'll work once the brackets inevitably becomes unbalanced. Seems like it would be harder to get teammates to fight one another if they're actually long-term training partners.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Could someone please post the high quality gif that encompasses the entire Rousey fight from the weekend? Thanks in advance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It in no way surprises me that Jeremy Stephens can't spell.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
No one on the something awful forums has ever typed your in place of you're by accident in any post, social media interaction, or online chat.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Seltzer posted:

No one on the something awful forums has ever typed your in place of you're by accident in any post, social media interaction, or online chat.

Jeremy Stephens being illiterate isn't dependant on your statement being true. But good to know you've got his back.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Seltzer posted:

Your gay

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Jeremy Stephens being illiterate isn't dependant

lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Haha. This thread never stops teaching me stuff.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

Some super nerd put together an ELO database for MMA, which is the ranking system that chess uses. If you're unfamiliar with it, the tl;dr is that you gain more points for beating someone above or closer to your own ranking than for winning a mismatch, so someone who is fighting good consistent opposition with high activity will have a highest rating, because three wins over good competition with one loss to similarly ranked competition should provide more score than three wins over cans or one win over good opposition.

Here's the ELO system's all-time peak rating chart

1. GSP
2. JBJ
3. Silva
4. Fedor
5. Aldo
6. Cerrone
7. Bendo
8. Jacare
9. Barao
10. Weidman

http://www.mma-elo.com/ranks.php?r=11

e. I should add that there is something wonky with their rankings. Fedor should have plummeted several hundred points after taking 3 consecutive losses to lesser competition.

it's the 'Elo' system named after Dr Elo, not 'ELO'

:goonsay:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

It bothers me more the use of dominate instead dominant.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

it's the 'Elo' system named after Dr Elo, not 'ELO'

:goonsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rD-0tlGGPo

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Steve Carl is in it, lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
In an alternate universe, this is how Jones vs Belfort played out https://instagram.com/p/zx6qlSMMgp/

edit: also, this is both cool and sad https://instagram.com/p/zwwPEdnAO_/

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 4, 2015

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

LobsterMobster posted:

In an alternate universe, this is how Jones vs Belfort played out https://instagram.com/p/zx6qlSMMgp/

I'm the guy maniacally laughing

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

UFC 193 in Melbourne

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Moral victories are more important than a perfect record

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LobsterMobster posted:

Ref knows what's up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHBMKOboqJQ&t=80s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The downed guys name is Chad. This is entirely unsurprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I don't get it, Rich Franklin definitely said he COULDN'T kick you while you were down like that.

• Locked thread