Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Bhyos hoping for some lusty seedy tale of pedophilia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Byolante posted:

Everyone should stop talking about poo poo teams and players and notice even with all our good players out injured Stoke are still winning games and rising up the table.

Peter Crouch was on the radio saying you were going to win the "Best of the Rest" league and finish 8th.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

In other conspiracy news, Man Utd and Arsenal fans have been caught chanting sexist things at Chelsea's physio. Neither club has punished the fans responsible or put out a strongly worded statement and invited the victim to a match a la chelsea.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/05/abusive-chanting-chelsea-doctor-sexism-manchester-united-arsenal

This was me, and hell I'd do it again. Anytime she went on the pitch the whole crowd started wolf whistling. I cant do that properly so I started shouting crude statements instead

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I want to effort post about United but it'll just get trolled

Really frustrating at the moment.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I know this is all a setup to reply pooshited to my post but I might effort post anyway, through the tears

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
The bit thats the most frustrating at United at the moment is theres no semblance of play, the whole tactic seems to be built for someone to need to produce a moment of magic that creates something out of nothing - theres absolutely no flow in the team. I look back over this season and I cant think of a single game where Ive come out thinking "their keeper has played well", but I can think of a load where De Gea has saved us. Look at last night - aside from the goal what has their keeper had to do?

I'm not asking for champagne football - the pundits and fans who think we played champagne football in the last 2 seasons of Fergies reign are drinking the kool aid. The year Fergie left was a title winning team driven by Fergies determination to go out on a high and the form of RVP. We didnt play good football at that time. It was also in this last year that Fergie let Pogba leave on a free at the start of the season and signs Wilfred Zaha for 15 million at the end of the season.

Then youve got the Moyes and Woodward fiasco which set us back not only several paces but shot us back to 7th in the league. You then have 3 of our regular back 4 leave because they dont feel they can play under Moyes (personally I would have kept Vidic and Evra if only for dressing room reasons tho I can understand Evra leaving as Shaws arrival was imminent). I heard some bollocks about Moyes not being backed - he spent 27 million on Fellaini (could have got him for 4 million less and had another month of training with him if he moved quicker) and then 37ish on Mata who was totally on the out at Chelsea. Then he played both of them in the wrong positions / tactics for them. He also clearly set up the deal for Shaw (another 30 million) and I was told the Herrera deal was put in place by Moyes too (30mill again!).

LVG comes in and the clubs a shambles to be honest but he seemed to be the right guy for the job (I say seemed, Im still fully behind him for another season). But then you have the only defensive signing being Shaw? I think Rojo is a decent buy, and I think Blind was a good for the money he paid for him (compared to the money we've paid for other people), tho I'm not sure you should ever play him and Carrick together in midfield. Herrera signing I dont think was his and I think thats why he has a lack of faith in him - I can see why he brings Herrera off and doesnt play him at times, he can be careless on the ball and his movement isnt always what I'd expect. I think Herrera will end up being class tho.

Di Maria was a massive risk. Early on he looked fantastic. Then all of a sudden his tricks stopped working, then his house gets broken into and he uproots his family to live in a hotel and he goes so awful that he gets hoked off after one of of the worst performances Ive ever seen against Sunderland. Match of the Day didnt do it justice, he couldnt even pull off a simple pass. Last night he was at it again - tho his cross for the goal showed his class. His heads gone and he's needed dropping for a few games for a while, the red card is probably a good thing for him. What I dont understand with him is where he needs to play. He had his best spell at Madrid in centre mid, I thought he was more a left winger when he signed but he's been played on the right.

Someone said to me recently that they think that this season got scrapped midway through by LVG, and he stopped trying to implement his tactics on the team and instead started playing knockout football as if it was a tournament, built just to get a result and get us back to the champions league so he can spend a full summer working on the team. I just worry what happens in the summer. We clearly need at least one centre back, and a right back. Falcao isnt going to stay, and as much as I'd love him to be a success LVG has no faith in him (he warmed up for about 15 minutes last night and looked a broken man when Januzaj got called back to the bench to come on while they were both warming up). So thats now 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 ST and you can probably chuck another midfielder in as needed too, 2 if you want to go back to playing wingers.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

The Big Taff Man posted:

The bit thats the most frustrating at United at the moment is theres no semblance of play, the whole tactic seems to be built for someone to need to produce a moment of magic that creates something out of nothing - theres absolutely no flow in the team. I look back over this season and I cant think of a single game where Ive come out thinking "their keeper has played well", but I can think of a load where De Gea has saved us. Look at last night - aside from the goal what has their keeper had to do?

I'm not asking for champagne football - the pundits and fans who think we played champagne football in the last 2 seasons of Fergies reign are drinking the kool aid. The year Fergie left was a title winning team driven by Fergies determination to go out on a high and the form of RVP. We didnt play good football at that time. It was also in this last year that Fergie let Pogba leave on a free at the start of the season and signs Wilfred Zaha for 15 million at the end of the season.

Then youve got the Moyes and Woodward fiasco which set us back not only several paces but shot us back to 7th in the league. You then have 3 of our regular back 4 leave because they dont feel they can play under Moyes (personally I would have kept Vidic and Evra if only for dressing room reasons tho I can understand Evra leaving as Shaws arrival was imminent). I heard some bollocks about Moyes not being backed - he spent 27 million on Fellaini (could have got him for 4 million less and had another month of training with him if he moved quicker) and then 37ish on Mata who was totally on the out at Chelsea. Then he played both of them in the wrong positions / tactics for them. He also clearly set up the deal for Shaw (another 30 million) and I was told the Herrera deal was put in place by Moyes too (30mill again!).

LVG comes in and the clubs a shambles to be honest but he seemed to be the right guy for the job (I say seemed, Im still fully behind him for another season). But then you have the only defensive signing being Shaw? I think Rojo is a decent buy, and I think Blind was a good for the money he paid for him (compared to the money we've paid for other people), tho I'm not sure you should ever play him and Carrick together in midfield. Herrera signing I dont think was his and I think thats why he has a lack of faith in him - I can see why he brings Herrera off and doesnt play him at times, he can be careless on the ball and his movement isnt always what I'd expect. I think Herrera will end up being class tho.

Di Maria was a massive risk. Early on he looked fantastic. Then all of a sudden his tricks stopped working, then his house gets broken into and he uproots his family to live in a hotel and he goes so awful that he gets hoked off after one of of the worst performances Ive ever seen against Sunderland. Match of the Day didnt do it justice, he couldnt even pull off a simple pass. Last night he was at it again - tho his cross for the goal showed his class. His heads gone and he's needed dropping for a few games for a while, the red card is probably a good thing for him. What I dont understand with him is where he needs to play. He had his best spell at Madrid in centre mid, I thought he was more a left winger when he signed but he's been played on the right.

Someone said to me recently that they think that this season got scrapped midway through by LVG, and he stopped trying to implement his tactics on the team and instead started playing knockout football as if it was a tournament, built just to get a result and get us back to the champions league so he can spend a full summer working on the team. I just worry what happens in the summer. We clearly need at least one centre back, and a right back. Falcao isnt going to stay, and as much as I'd love him to be a success LVG has no faith in him (he warmed up for about 15 minutes last night and looked a broken man when Januzaj got called back to the bench to come on while they were both warming up). So thats now 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 ST and you can probably chuck another midfielder in as needed too, 2 if you want to go back to playing wingers.

pooshited

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Jose posted:

Didn't van gaal play Di Maria as a striker for a while

He's played him everywhere. Tbh some of the roles I can see why - Played him as a striker because there was a total lack of pace up front and lack of movement. It didnt work and so he then moved him back to midfield.

When we've played Falcao and RVP up top together theres been nothing decent movement wise up top - I dont put total blame on them tho as theres also little aim to find them from the midfield as it seems like everyones more interested in keeping the ball and not being the person to lose it rather than going forward. At one point in the match against Newcastle I think we'd had 69% possession and 3 shots on target. Its shocking. Youve got the fans shouting shoot when someone gets the ball 30 yards out because they just want a bit of excitement rather than the ball being popped around for hours.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

LVG making a double sub at half time yesterday was stupid, unless they were for injuries. Left him with no chance to try and push and get an equaliser

Shaw was definately an injury from what I could see, he pulled up at one point.

Not sure on Herrera, I think it was tactical. I love Herrera but I didnt think he was having a great game yesterday. He seems to sometimes just make the wrong pass or go into the wrong position and he passes backwards instead of forwards a lot.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Dunban posted:

How is van Gaal getting along with the higher ups at the club? At Bayern he had alienated more or less everyone after a year or so.

I havent heard of any issues tho Ive got no insiders anymore.

Moyes not having backing was bollocks too, the board were desperate for him to succeed. Especially as Charlton reportedly said he'd walk if Mourinho had come in

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

fat gay nonce posted:

Yet Moyes is now beating Barcelona and LVG is having difficulties with champion chokers Arsenal, maybe the team is just rubbish?

I think the team is rubbish!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

euroboy posted:

Hoofing it up to Fellaini becomes easy to defend against when none of the United players (except Rooney and Young) have any interest in winning the second balls.

I think Fellaini is a good plan B, its when its used as Plan A like last night that its stupid. You have this massive gap between midfield and striker so youve got Rooney trying to do the work of 2 men.

euroboy posted:

I can understand Di Maria's frustration and attempts to con the referee, no one else is playing at whatever it is he's trying to do. The second part of the first half was fairly positive though, hitting crosses in against Rooney and Fellaini was constantly dangerous but Monreal, Coquelin and Özil (who was excellent all match) put a stop to it in the second half.

His cross was good and he made some good runs when the defence had the ball and got totally ignored. Was funny when Carrick came on and one of his first acts was a long cross field ball to Young who'd found space on the left, it was the kind of pass that you're crying out for when the defence are playing it back and forth.

Di Marias been awful for weeks and I hoped after the cross maybe it would inspire something but I'd have subbed him off again last night.

euroboy posted:

I'm still amazed Welbeck didn't gently caress up that goal tbh.

He messed one up in the first half. I think it was a mistake selling him as he would have provided a lot more movement up front and created space. I can see why he went tho - wanted a chance to play every week and LVG could never guarentee that when he was bringing in falcao

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

TelekineticBear! posted:

I also back this stance to a degree, why the gently caress is Giggs Van Gaal's assistant? Giggs not only has gently caress all experience as an assistant manager, but you'd expect Van Gaal would have his own man lined up.

All of the old guard "Class of 92" needs to be told to gently caress off really, they're like a cabal of snakes who reviles in chatting poo poo to the press 24/7.

Everyone has hosed off except Giggs and Nicky Butt? And neither of them talk to the press?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Byolante posted:

I do like that Stoke, noted team with only one style, ruled with an iron fist by a tin pot despot who shaped the entire structure in his image, managed to successfully find a new manager and staff and build a working support structure while improving both in terms of playstyle and league position. If some poo poo club from the midlands can do it the biggest club in the world should be able to.

What I am saying is find a local lifelong fan who is almost a multibillionaire with children who have decades of experience in C level positions of internationally successful businesses and have them run your club.

Yeah Stoke and United are identical.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

beedeebee posted:

Just read that Falcao's starting for Man U's under 21 tonight. Wow

Not sure what the wow is here? He didnt play yesterday and we've got a game on Sunday?

He played 70 minutes and didnt look happy about being subbed.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Hoops posted:

I think it's ridiculously difficult to get back into the top 4 once you drop out right now and will be for the next 1-2 years.

Why? Because you got in it last year? The top 4 has been different every year for a good few years now, with at least one team dropping out every year

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

I've a feeling we'll be held over a barrel for Falcao if we want to keep De Gea.

I was told at the start of the season that the deal for falcao had been done and the only reason the first year was a loan was for FFP reasons, but thats looking more and more untrue as the season goes on.

chuggo is BACK posted:

He means it will be this difficult for the next 1-2 years

Hasnt it always been difficult tho? I mean the peak year was when Spurs finished 4th and Chelsea finished 6th but won the champs league.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I heard that 30% of Madrid fans want Ronaldo out of the team, and that Bale got booed again.

Bring them to United Luis. Add that into us looking at buying Cavani, Hummells and Clyne and I'm thinking it could be

code:
                        Cavani

Ronaldo                  Rooney                     Bale

Herrera             Blind        

Shaw                                              Clyne

Hummels              Phil Jones lol            

De Gea

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Brony Car posted:

Why are you Manchester United fans acting like everything's poo poo? You're sitting on obscene piles of cash, doing better than last year, and all of your other Top 4 competitors are hilariously inconsistent or will have to maintain League Winning levels of form for you to be out of the race.

At least wait to fall behind before bemoaning your fate. The run-in might be tough but you're competing against sides who are notorious for slipping up against relegation candidates.

Agreed the only fans who should ever feel sorry for themselves are Liverpool fans.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

8raz posted:

You're on the crash course

Is the next lesson blaming your failures on everyone else?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

8raz posted:

Don't pretend like you haven't got it all memorised

Ive got all your posts in a little notebook

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Shrapnig posted:

Falcao is the new Forlan except the fans hate him instead of feeling sory for him.

The crowd at old Trafford love Falcao tho?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
When Falcao got subbed after winning the penalty against Sunderland the whole crowd started booing, then gave him a round of applause as he went off. He'd done nothing all game till winning the penalty, but everyone really wants him to click and the fact that he was taken off just after doing something great was really annoying.

He's utterly gone with confidence at the moment, I fully understand playing him in the reserves to try and help him get a bit back.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

the escape goat posted:

why do people wear full kits. there are a load of idiots in Manchester wearing full kits and it's so bizarre.

also, whoever posted Lewis Holtby as one of the best players has me triggering. doubtful he'll return to Tottenham.

Are you coming to the match?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

the escape goat posted:

of all the loving matches to fly over from Portland for...

apparently I was on TV in one of the away support reaction shots and I've never looked more disgusted in my life. which is the Real Spurs Supporter Experience.

Lol.

Spurs support was one of the worst Ive heard this season.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

the escape goat posted:

you couldn't hear them over the sound of your support sucking Giggs off every 5 minutes, then?

it was a pleasant change of pace, so far as support goes. there weren't any people with kilts or face paint or fatties trying to fit into Fred Perry shirts two sizes too small.

I think I heard the giggs one once during the match and that was when they were doing a run through of classic chants about players park ji sung, cantona, solksjaer

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
The park one was the best one in donkeys years, the only good one recently is the "Oh what a night" one thats started this year

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah *tugs collar* I love that one and *cough* know all the words.

Oh what a night,
late in May in nineteen ninety nine,
Ole scored a goal in injury time,
what a feeling what a night

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Carrier posted:

i dont think this is very good taff

Its wonderful, whats your favourite chant carrier?

i heard someone trying to make up a second verse for it today, he was going for "giggsy ran it from the halfway line" but no one joined in

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Gigi Galli posted:

I would unironically love to unban Brap but I don't know how to tell him that he is unbanned.

unban him, give him pms and send him a pm and hope he has email notifications on

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Brap doesnt use his twitter so he wouldnt have seen.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Rafa you cant*

*said in a south african accent

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

chuggo is BACK posted:

He saw Darren Bent in Sunderland and literally followed him home in his car hahaha

No it was better than that stop getting brap wrong

he was on his bicycle and followed him on that

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

chuggo is BACK posted:

omg I forgot that ahaha

I might be remembering it wrong but im sure he nearly lost him but was saved by traffic lights a couple of times

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Hoops posted:

It was sad when the Finn left, as us Liverpool posters lost our omnipotent protective shield, which completely and utterly prevented even the remotest criticism of Liverpool, or Rafa, or Luis Suarez. I miss the days when there were literally no posts that were not in glowing praise of Liverpool.

But on the other hand, one less loving american so ymmv

I thought you were American?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

EvilHawk posted:

Sunderland have lifted the suspension on Adam Johnson.

I believe the same thing happened with Ched Evans when he was on bail, so I suppose there's precedent. He's going to get mercilessly slaughtered by the opposition fans (and maybe his own as well) if/when he plays.

Is the match against Newcastle on TV?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
The last two results have made me really happy to be fair. It looks like Van Gaal is finally clicking with a formation and system. Early on we had the struggles with the 5 man at the back system, but I do really think he went with that more because of defensive frailty rather than a long term plan. Smalling has got more impressive every game for the last few, tho Phil Jones still looks prone to an error.

Pre match there was an interview with Van Gaal where he said he doesnt do much of a pre match talk as his players have been drilled into how to play the week before and how he wants 11 leaders on the pitch. I think you see that a lot in Herrera, while he's still young and I can see why he's been dropped a few times as he is prone to a careless pass, he also has a good head on him and isnt afraid to shout at senior players when theyre out of position.

The interesting thing for me is how the team would play without Fellaini as at present he's a real outlet. He's a right oval office at times but the ball seems to just stick to him when its in the air. I'd also like to see Rafael come in for Valencia.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

I'm not too worried about Fellaini not being in the team for whatever reason, neither goal yesterday involved a long pass to him I don't think? He's playing well though and there's been more good about his game than pulling balls out of the air. It's weird how the team suddenly clicked, whether that was the loss to Arsenal that gave them focus, or just time, or something else but the contrast between the Arsenal match and before that, to the last two, is night and day. Hopefully it continues and I'm seriously happy for Mata.

I think it's also proved LvG can afford to give Di Maria some time off to get his head straight, it's like he's trying way too hard and very little is coming off for him.

My main concern is it's very obvious we still don't have a replacement for Carrick.

I think Blind has been pretty decent in that position and could be better when hes got a better understanding of the pace of the game. I dont think he's a long term left back - he's one of the slowest players in the team.

Its not just the long passes with Fellaini tho, he attracts defenders and tho his first touch with his feet can be awful at times he's been pretty good at holding the ball up. Anyone else in the number 10 role demands more of the ball

I actually think the Arsenal match we didnt play as bad as people said tbh.

Di Maria needs an extended spell out and I hoped he would come in yesterday and feel less pressure but his passes were awful again.

For me the key part is the fluidity of the team. You often see Carrick drop back into defence when we have the ball if theres space for one of the centre backs to move forward and create play, but yesterday Smalling made a run forward, Carrick was up there as well and I was making GBS threads myself we were going to be caught on a counter, but when the ball went forward Jones had pulled into the right centre back position, Blind into Jones position and Young back into left back. Mata also offered so much more defensively on the right than Di Maria ever does

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

serious gaylord posted:

Last 2 games have had Carrick. Previous games he was injured. Its not rocket science.

If he scored a few more goals he'd be raved about. I think his defensive awareness is brilliant, he's no full blooded Keane or Gattuso type, but he reads the game so well and often gets a little toe in on an opposition pass to knock it to safety rather than sliding in with a thunderous tackle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

The refusal to acknowledge that De Gea is one of the two best keepers in the league now will never not be funny.

Tbf he was shite against swansea and it took till like October before he started stopping us dropping points single handedly. Or sometimes with both hands

• Locked thread