Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Holy crap, I thought I dreamed up that show as a kid. You have no idea how happy I am to know I'm not crazy and it exists.

Also, uh-- if we catch the bird, and the item always disappears in the umbrella, what happens to the bird? :ohdear:

colored chicks are a sad thing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am sure dyes are used for medical uses. Animals don't seem to care that much about the looks of their or another species kids they take care of.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, uh-- if we catch the bird, and the item always disappears in the umbrella, what happens to the bird? :ohdear:

Obviously the hamsters haven't thought of that. It won''t come up, since going for a feather from the bird, not the bird itself.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MightyPretenders posted:

Obviously the hamsters haven't thought of that. It won''t come up, since going for a feather from the bird, not the bird itself.

We still have to get Indigo color, right?

Surely, if we bring the entire bird, Bo can find a way to repurpose what's left after using the single feather to get another color.

Ooh, that's where we get red!

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

We still have to get Indigo color, right?

Surely, if we bring the entire bird, Bo can find a way to repurpose what's left after using the single feather to get another color.

Ooh, that's where we get red!

Really, this whole thing could have been solved very quickly if hamsters weren't mostly colorblind. Or if they brought Bob Ross hamster back to mix them some happy colors.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The nebulous requirements for ingredients seem to involve exploring the majority of an area and solving at least one problem between the Ham-Hams or their close friends. Since we haven't even been in the park yet, the Frisbee is sadly ineligible for being our red ingredient. :v:

Also, two things. Firstly, I'm surprised I didn't offend any Journey fans this update. (The band, not the lovely-looking game.) Secondly, I'm thinking of changing the thread title. Feel free to offer suggestions.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 24, 2015

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think the "If only we weren't colorblind" as Kallev mentioned in a roundabout way would work for a title, as really, they should've given more concrete reason why they can only use certain items

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Don't know why grass is not good enough. Maybe Bo is just that unreliable.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

"Collecting Inane poo poo To Make A Rainbow: Let's Play Rainbow Rescue!"

"Most Colors Aren't Good Enough: Let's Play Rainbow Rescue!"

I don't know. I'm drawing blanks on thread titles for this.

Even though what I suggested, and what you used, was good enough at one point! :argh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god, is this going to turn into Hamtaro Moon? The blue bird feather and all.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Glazius posted:

Oh god, is this going to turn into Hamtaro Moon? The blue bird feather and all.

It's a reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IERLMXtMZag

I assume that each material has to have some emotional weight to it, so random crap just won't cut it.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

"Carrots are also orange guys - Let's Play Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue!"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Added Space posted:

It's a reference.

Yes. It is.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Rich-ham of York gave battle in vain!

Was originally going to substitute battle with Blash-T but that was a bit too "in-joke".

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 08: Slipping back to the SNES.

Now that Howdy and Stan have gone to try catching the blue bird on their own again, this troublemaking frog keeps us from backtracking into Sunny Pond.

So for now, let us push onward to Ticky-Ticky Park proper.

Now that Stan isn’t around to keep us from doing so, of course.

Pinecones? You mean, like the one… right behind you?! :eek:

The last obstacle between us and the park is whichever jerk is shaking pinecones and dropping rocks out of this tree. Tip-Top Treetop isn’t too difficult if you employ the usual tactic of sticking to the bottom of the screen, thus having more time to react to what’s coming.

There’s ten bits of candy in this game, so it should be a fairly easy 60 sunflower points.

Once we climb up, it’s immediately back down.

Now that we’ve gotten over the hedge, we’re finally inside the park! There also seems to be something stuck in that other tree, but we don’t have enough Ham-Hams to reach it yet.

Today, my children are at the park for the very first time. I feel a bit nervous!

I’m not sure they’re old enough to be able to see, let alone get very far. You should be fine, Mama-Ham.

Heading south from the intersection leads to where the soccer goal is set up, which will make for a nice shortcut if we can get rid of it.

We may need to practice a bit more, though. Heading back and east this time takes us to…

Sandy!

Look over there! On top of the fountain!

It must have flown here after we saw it!

Ah, our inability to swim rears its ugly head again.

Excuse me, but do you Ham-Hams want to get across this puddle? Keep moving forward and you’ll see a swing. A pigeon sits in the next tree over. It can carry you over the puddle! Guide it through a Ham Game to get to the other side. Did you get that?

Yep-P!

OK! Good luck.

He leant a little bit heavily on the fourth wall there, didn’t he? Also, why aren’t we just shoving this other guy aside and walking around the puddle? Taking flight seems like a bit of an extreme solution to this problem.

Then again, who doesn’t want to ride a (comparatively) huge bird?

:toot: Okay, time to go north from Mama-Ham then.

If you can’t jump rope, they won’t let you pass.

Why hello there, blatant check to make sure we got Sandy in our party.

Final Fantasy IX is my favourite of the series, and Mario Party 2 was the only one I actually owned. If there’s one thing I can do, it’s jump-rope minigames. :v:

You’re welcome, little guy! Now people can get to the swings without having to ‘prove their worth’ like some kind of hero.

Continuing on, this couple seems to be encouraging their kid to jump off the fence. I assume it’s for the insurance.

Nah, only joking. It’s actually a sidequest prompt. There were a bunch of trampolines back in the hamster-sized playground, but we wouldn’t be able to get one here with that soccer goal in the way. Another one for the backburner, then.

Heading east from the jumping spot brings us to the swings, which someone says we could use to launch ourselves into the sandbox… if that hamster with the sweet sideburns wasn’t using it as a place to read his newspaper.

Of course, it’s actually up this tree that we want to go. Let’s get a look at this pigeon…

...Hmm.

So, do you think they like hemp, black beans or a racing blend?

Regardless, it’s time for Sandy to take to the skies, and…

Experience the glory of Mode 7 style graphics. :toot: Isn’t it glorious?

This minigame just requires moving left and right to pop the red balloons, though some of the bonus candy balloons are occasionally positioned to lure you away from the next one and cause you to fail.

Ah, such a graceful dismount by the guys here. :rolleyes:

Now, you can ride the pigeon back to the swings as a separate minigame, one with ten balloons instead of five. Sooo… Enjoy this minigame in motion!

On the slide side of things, we don’t have quite enough Ham-Hams to safely drop onto the slide itself, so we’re going to need to wander around on the ground a bit instead.

The base of the tree has two more carrots for our collection, and this martial arts hamster. How’s it going, buddy?

Wait, what?

What?! :psyduck: Okay, this is now a JRPG apparently.

So, uh… Yeah. The Karate Ham battle is repeatable, and each Ham-Ham has their own set of abilities to use. Scrit-T and Tack-Q are attack moves (the latter seeming stronger), KrmpKrmp restores health, Zuzuzu wastes your turn… And Goodgo cheers up a party member who has lost all their hearts, reviving them but not giving back the candy bonus for keeping them in action.

The white and brown belts deal two damage if their attacks connect (and they don’t just waste their turns staring into space), but the black belt really means business. This attack deals five damage. He can one-shot four out of five of our available combatants.

So we end up getting our butts kicked pretty hard before managing to take the trio down. You get 30 points plus five for everyone who avoids crying, plus it’s a pretty nifty little experience.

Don’t train too hard. Please, don’t.

The next screen just has someone wondering how far that soccer ball would go if someone went down the slide, but the one after that…

Leads us right to the other side of the puddle, which means we’re right next to the fountain where the blue bird is!

It’s you guys. Oh! And Pashmina, too!

How nice to see you too, Dexter.

What are you doing?

The blue bird is right there! Why haven’t you caught it?

Oh, yes, I see.

but there’s no way I can lift it alone.

:toot:

Alright, let’s take a look at this fancy toy boat.

It’s heavy.

Looks like we can’t lift it even with all of us.

Why Stan?

Pashmina, even a favor like that is too…

Oh, what could possibly be going wrong now?

The eyepatch chicken is back, and he has reinforcements! Hopefully not all five of the Chicky-Chickies are here to harass the Ham-Hams. :ohdear:

CHEEP CHEEP, CHEEP CHEEP

...Everyone. Did you all get that?

How are we supposed to know what that meant? It’s clear they’re angry about something.

CHEEP CHEEP, CHEEP CHEEP

Uh-ohhhh.

What could it be? They look really angry.

We didn’t do anything wrong! Did we…?

What’s he doing that for?

We haven’t done anything!

Wh-what did you do, Oxnard?!

We can’t use the boat, but we can work together.

You’re right! Let’s go look for Howdy and Stan!

Well, before we go and stop that brawl, let’s take a quick peek down at the proper park entrance.

Ticky-Ticky Park is once again peaceful today.

Sadly, I believe you’re mistaken. We can’t rely on the park guard in this instance, so let’s head back toward our wayward friends.

...After some more minor diversions. I’m sure the blue bird will be fine; it can fight off a lone chick, right?

Getting up on the slide lets us play Slip and Dodge, which is basically like those slippery hills back on Flower Ranch, only with more obstacles to watch out for. Seems the guy at the top has about twenty identical brothers.

Well, the ball didn’t get that much distance from just Hamtaro bumping into it. But it did get us a shortcut!

That’s probably all the water that just sprayed over your lazy butt.

Now, I believe we know someone who might be interested in having this… :devil:

Please! You’ve got to let me borrow that ball!

You got it, bud! We’ll just stand over here and watch…

That’s called strategy, my friend. :mmmhmm: Besides, we wanted to get through that net.

We can’t get a trampoline for that one kid to land on yet, but the Hopscotch hamsters have a third version to play.

The third course kicks the difficulty up a few notches by making Pashmina jump faster, giving you less time to react. The bugs are also present, so it’s definitely not as forgiving as before.

When we move onto the next screen…

Big Brother!

How did he get there?

I’m sure he got there by climbing inside that tree.

Let’s go…

Well, it’s not like it’s surprising that Stan is flirting with girls at the first opportunity. :v:

The hopscotch course to the west also has a new set-up, and it’s a doozy. Hopscotch 4 was the absolute bane of my first playthrough, partially because I was tired while trying to play this bit.

Not only is Pashmina jumping quite swiftly, but the course is guaranteed to have this little set-up on it. It took me entirely too many tries to navigate the course successfully the first time around.

This time, it only took two. :sugartits:

Hey, didn’t we see you hanging out at the school?

Anyway, now that Dexter is with us, let’s test his powers of observation.

...This isn’t exactly the hardest minigame out there. Anyway, enough dilly-dallying! Let’s get Stan and Howdy back in the party.

Can’t quite reach…

It looks like we need to find Howdy first.

Fortunately, we already know exactly where Howdy is.

We saw him right at the start of the update, remember?

The blue bird is in trouble!

What! You found the blue bird?! And the blue bird’s in a heap of trouble? Isn’t that some bad news?

Let’s quit fighting and work together!

They may have their differences, but the Ham-Hams know when to set them aside and get things done. :toot:

So, all we need now is Stan. Let’s get going!

The game actually fade-cuts back to where Stan is, because it’s nice like that.

Wow, looks like the stairs weren’t the only thing in need of repairs. This place needs some serious patching up.

I said no! Go away!

Big Brother!

I’ve been looking all around, but the blue bird is…

The blue bird is in trouble!

What! You found the blue bird! And the blue bird’s in trouble?!

If that’s so, there’s no point in fighting. Let’s put our differences aside and work together!

Anyone else get a sense of deja vu just now?

Thanks, AlphaDream. Keep being awesome. :)

Alright, time to see how the blue bird fared against the Chicky-Chickies.

...How did it manage to tie the other bird up?

I don’t think he wants to chat.

That’s not true! If we try hard, I’m sure we can connect with him!

Hm. I see. So that’s what it was.

Well, don’t sweat the small things!

It’s not much, but I’ll give you this. See. Here you are.

H-H-Howdy, what were you thinking?!

:stare: Where did you two come from? And does that minigame name means what I think it does?

Yep, time for a boss battle! Our team is fixed this time, but we have probably the strongest Ham-Hams for this fight. Stan has an extra command to Fend-D, which lets him cover whoever has the least amount of health.

Marly, the little chick in the middle, can deal either two or four damage with his attacks. Jack (on the left) does the same, plus he can glare at a Ham-Ham to attempt an instant kill. :stare: Mike (on the right) also can deal two or four damage, but his extra attack is to try and deal two damage to everybody on our team.

Since we’re dealing with a boss here, let’s have a video. During the first playthough, I got the full 50 points for keeping everyone fighting fit. How about this time?

Haha, no. We won this by the skin of our teeth. I definitely should have prioritised my targets better.

Whew! We chased them away!

That’ll teach you to mistreat the “Howdy Doll”!

Say! Let’s go free the blue bird!

Let’s untie it!

Man, what an ungrateful little bird!

Yep. We should’ve been workin’ together from the very beginning.

Speaking of which, where were you four while we were getting our butts kicked?

And with this feather, we have come over halfway to completing our quest. :krakentoot:

Thanks, little birdie! Sorry for chasin’ you all over the place!

Mmm-hmm! Let’s round things out with the usual song and dance.

Now that’s a pretty feather! Just looking at it makes me happy!

I’m so glad everyone has stopped fighting!

As the leader, it makes sense to help everyone patch things up!

Yep, we can always count on Hamtaro!

Heh, yeah… Sorry, Boss. You may be the founder, but you’re definitely not the leader.

Yeah!

We should be thankful for the blue bird.

OK then! Let’s go ahead and make a rainbow color!

OK! We’re doing so well! Let’s go find the other colors!

With four ingredients found, and all but one of the Clubhouse regulars having had time in our party, perhaps it’s time to take a little break…

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How great is Boss? He gives no fucks about those pinecones, pick-axing them out of the way.

He's just so awesome. Bossome, really.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

How great is Boss? He gives no fucks about those pinecones, pick-axing them out of the way.

He's just so awesome. Bossome, really.

He's pretty underpowered in the battle mini games. He should definitely have better attack and defense, since he has a helmet and the pickaxe. Them city hamsters just don't have the grit and muscle of a field hamster like Boss.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

So are all animals sentient in the Ham-ham world and just speak different languages?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That battle minigame is adorable and awesome.

Panda is the only Ham we haven't used yet, right?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

CheeseThief posted:

So are all animals sentient in the Ham-ham world and just speak different languages?

Pretty much. Gotta watch out for those cats though, they're smarter than you'd think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roro posted:

Pretty much. Gotta watch out for those cats though, they're smarter than you'd think.

Well, we should be fine as long as we work together. Then we can sink their plans.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Violence is well deserved after facing 20 jerks blocking all these paths.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 09: Games and grudge matches.

Howdy, what are you so excited about?

What? C’mon, Hamtaro! Today’s the Ham-Ham festival!

Wow! You’re right! It is that time, isn’t it?

Ham-Ham festival?

There are booths with all kinds of stuff!

And all kinds of yummy things to eat!

That really sounds like a lot of fun!

OK! I guess I’m going to the Ham-Ham festival as well!

:toot: Get your party hats on, people! Or perhaps your kimonos… After all, this is a Japanese festival!

Before we go anywhere though, let’s have a chat to all our Ham-Ham friends and see how hyped they are for this festival.

Ookwee!

Of course! Do you want to go over there now? This’ll be great!

There are lots of yummy things to eat at the festival! I’m looking forward to eating all of it!

But how do I ask her to the festival? Mmmph.

I make no apologies for choosing to show Stan mid-backflip and Sandy mid-twirl. :cheeky:

I’m fixin’ to make a huge profit at this year’s festival!

Not so fast, Howdy! This time, I’ll open a booth too.

It’s a match to see who’s better at getting customers!

Oooh, sorry Dexter. I don’t think salesmanship is something you want to challenge Howdy on… despite the Howdy Doll incident last update.

What shall we do? Ham-and-seek!

Hmm, I can’t decide if Stucky and Cappy sounds more like a comedy duo or a children’s toy.

I’m really busy getting ready!

So many...coming...to play… I’m so...excited. Zzzz.

Oh, I can totally tell. This is the most lively Snoozer’s been in ages.

There are all kinds of vendors, and it’s so crowded!

Ham-Ham festival? It has a fun ring to it! I’m so excited, I’m dancing and I don’t even know it!

Have you heard what everyone’s saying?

Sure, we did the rounds. Sounds like we’re in for a nice bit of relaxation after all this running around.

Well, we’d be kinda treading on Boss’ toes…

Of course, Hamtaro would never refuse Bijou like that! Which is why this is a ‘but thou must!’ situation.

...For a strong guy, Boss sure cries easily.

Don’t stay up late tonight. Go to bed early so you can enjoy a nice dream.
The second luckiest one for today is...Libra. Talk to your pals. You just might get a great hint.♪
The luckiest one for today is...Capricorn. Playing sports today is a good thing. The popularity you experience just might be great!
Today will not be very good for...Sagittarius. You may be warned not to ditch. Your lucky game is tree climbing.

Penelope is Pisces (so she shouldn’t be staying up late anyway), Dexter is Libra, Snoozer is Capricorn (which makes for a great mental image of him playing sports…) and Jingle is our Sagittarius. (Trying to stop him ditching the group would be wasted effort.)

Now that Hamstarr has once again read our horoscopes, it’s time to head to the festival… Or as the map screen calls it, Tip-Top Fair.

Wow! Look at all the fun-looking booths!

Hamtaro! Look! It’s Bo!

Hmm, looks like he flew straight past that guard. Wonder if that means we can just go in?

Once the gate is done, the stamp rally will start. Since it’s not done, I’m not allowed to let anyone in! I’m sorry to ask, but can you go look at the gate?

Ah, the police are just incompetent (still). Guess this is a good chance to just poke around, see the sights…

...and make sure not to get sick.

The stall owners have plenty to say around here, and there’s a lot of them! Expect plenty of chatter at the festival.

...Are these trading cards or sweets? Oh, maybe it’s the Ham-Ham version of Pocky. For just being breadsticks and chocolate, that stuff is incredibly satisfying to eat. :japan:

Also, maybe we should go look at the next stall before I sound any more like a weeaboo.

Like I said, I can’t go! I’ve got a booth I have to look after!

What’s it gonna hurt? Just come along with me.

Didn’t Auntie Viv just say she’d look with you? You’re starting to get on my nerves!

I’m going to go look around the festival with Maxwell!

How many times do I have to say it? I’ve got a booth to run!

So, uh… That didn’t go so well. Seems like we might need to find a way to stop Boss pestering Maxwell at some point.

The area to the right of Maxwell’s booth is where the dance contest is going to be held, so naturally Stan and Sandy are here.

Being their usual selves, of course.

Wow, that guy looks like his life is pure hell. Must be Sparkle’s manager.

I’m Sparkle!

Sorry, I’m too busy right now. Make them wait.

Yep, she’s a diva. My sympathies to that guy. :sweatdrop:

I’m sure Panda knows what he’s doing. I mean, being the guy who builds and/or repairs stuff is 95% of his character. (With a 5% margin of error.)

Heading north from the site of Maxwell’s torment leads us to finding a minor gimmick of this area. Instead of having sunflower seeds scattered about, there are these animal toys we can interact with to get some. The catch is that they’re based on a strength check, so we need more Ham-Hams for bigger toys.

There are a couple of minigames we can see around here, but they aren’t available until the stamp rally begins. Must be a big event…

I’ve called ahead, so the stamp rally should be starting pretty soon. Why don’t you try going back to the assembly grounds.

Ah, excellent. And what do your workers have to say?

Sparkle is here at the festival! Work faster! HURRY! HURRY!

We’re all big fans of Sparkle! We’ve got to hurry!

:rolleyes: Yes, all of the workers are identical. Must be more of that slide guy’s brothers.

Back at the entrance, we’ve now tripped the flag to get us into the assembly grounds… but we have the left side of this area to see yet, so let’s hold off on that.

I sure hope the Ham-Ham doesn’t get a stomachache.

Gee, I wonder who that might have been.

Because of that, my sales are through the roof! Thank you!

Huh. The Ham-Hams are definitely some kind of famous amongst hamsters. Must be a weird feeling to see someone wearing a mask that looks like you.

Over to the west, two of the afro hamsters are performing the Boogie Down on stage. Oh, and there’s this picture of Howdy and Dexter…

...that responds to the code R, L, A, R, B.

One practical gift, one romantic. Kinda says something about those two, doesn’t it?

Huh… Attending a festival alone is...well, pretty lonely. Plus, my shoulders are really starting to bother me.

:ohdear: We’ll have to see if we can do something to help out Auntie Viv too.

The northwest exit from the starting screen leads to another seed dispenser, this soccer-related minigame and another gate under construction. The foreman has the same thing to say, but…

Really, our boss treats us hamsters badly!

I just want to get done and go to the festival!

I’m hungry! I want to get some food at the booths!

The workers have their own problems over here. Still, nothing we can do now but go to the assembly grounds and see what this stamp rally is all about.

Ah, there’s Bo! Let’s poke him a bit.

Anyway! Take a look at that!

Wow! It’s huge! But, what is it?

That’s shaved ice! The red syrup looks really delicious!

...You have got to be kidding me.

What?!

Boys and girls!

The rules are easy! You need to clear all the Ham Games at this year’s festival! For every Ham Game you clear, you get one stamp! The Ham-Ham who gets all 12 stamps wins!

Well then, is everyone ready to begin?! Ready…

OK! We’re going to do the stamp rally, too!

So, yeah. That’s what our red ingredient is going to be. Shaved ice.

Just let that sink in for a minute.

Also, here’s what happened after I told Leavemywife that the Ham-Hams were going to a festival.

Steam conversation with Leave posted:

Leavemywife: Is it...
Leavemywife: Oh, God, is it called takoyaki?
Yapping Eevee: The red ingredient is not Takoyaki, though it is food.
Leavemywife: Ketchup?
Leavemywife: Hell, I should know this. Swedish Fish?
Yapping Eevee: Only not a food that makes me think 'red'.
Leavemywife: ...
Leavemywife: Tuna?
Yapping Eevee: Want me to tell you, or should I wait for the update?
Leavemywife: Just tell me.
Yapping Eevee: Shaved ice. With some manner of red sauce on it, but no, the shaved ice dessert as a whole is the ingredient.
Leavemywife: ...
Leavemywife: What
Yapping Eevee: Exactly.
Yapping Eevee: It's so stupid. :allears:
Leavemywife: Goddamn, man.
Leavemywife: I would have never guessed that.
Yapping Eevee: Neither would I. I can't wait to see how the thread reacts.
Leavemywife: I'm what the gently caress'ing so hard.

Also, apparently Bo is actually flying around and telling us how to play Ham Games? :psyduck: I don’t even know what’s going on any more.

There’s a couple of other hamster teams that plan to compete…

...though none of them are half as cool as the Sundown Kid over here.

Anyway, we should probably start filling this thing in.

Oh, and also finish the gates ourselves on account of those six workers going AWOL. We can’t really do anything about it with just Hamtaro and Bijou, though.

So let’s focus on getting some stamps first.

Acorn Shoot ‘n’ Score is a nice easy one to start off with, though you can get bonus points by having more acorns at the end, provided you can stop the meter in just the right spot to take out two cards. It’s 10 + 6 per acorn, so you could make 40 points if you manage that twice.

After successfully completing a Ham Game, we actually get to see the stamp on our card, as well as a map of the area with all the Ham Game locations on it. The map is ever so slightly inaccurate, as the north most area does not exist. There is a north exit from that long starless room, but it’s for leaving and going back to the world map.

We’ve only seen the bottom two rows of the festival though, so we still have plenty to explore.

If we return to Auntie Viv, her dialogue goes a little bit further after the stamp rally’s started. Let’s give her a hand.

Huh? Really? Then, I guess there’s still hope for today’s youth!

And just like that, Bijou’s off on her own! Of course, we know one Ham-Ham who might be interested in talking to her now…

Boss, if it’s OK, will you look around the festival with me?

B-B-B-Bijou. Look around with you?

Uhhh… I don’t believe it! Of course I’ll look around with you!

Great! Let’s go get Hamtaro together!

Sorry, Boss-man.

Still, at least Boss gets a little bit of time alone with Bijou, just until we walk back over to Auntie Viv.

Great! Seeing the festival together is a lot better!

Heh… At least he’s settled down now. Still, those gates seems like more than a three ham job, so…

Well, the obvious solution is recruit Panda. But first, I think we need to take a certain prima donna down a few pegs.

Everyone else is too scared to come on stage.

Oh, what is it? Are you a fan? An autograph? A handshake?

You bet your psychotic little butt we are!

Wow, how long has it been since Bijou had a minigame? Actually… No, I think this may be her first! And that’s despite being in the party for every area except Ticky-Ticky Park.

Heart Catch is a simple enough game, where you can move around and press A to gather up hearts, but is perfectly winnable by standing somewhere around here and just mashing A. Well, unless…

Sparkle manages to body-check Bijou off of the stage too many times.

Successfully dodging her by jumping with B will give you plenty of free time to suck up hearts, so getting 50 points for a full meter shouldn’t be difficult.

I really hope she doesn’t hire someone to hunt us down over this.

That’s no fair! Next time, I won’t lose! You’ll see!

Let’s just take our stamp and make a hasty exit.

Listen, Panda! The work on the gate is behind schedule.

What?! Really?! That’s terrible!

Uh-huh! Of course, I’ll help! Take me to the gate!

And at long last, Panda joins our party! That’s all thirteen playable Ham-Hams that’ve been with us at one point or another.

There is one last thing we can do before finishing off the gates, though. Let’s give Boss a chance to flex his muscles!

Barbell Lift requires you to set the meter, then mash A hard enough to keep it in the sweet spot for a few seconds. Boss is a pretty strong Ham-Ham, so this isn’t too difficult.

Even the second round shouldn’t give you much trouble.

Alright, that’s a quarter of the Ham Games done already! :toot:

Now, a little bit of elbow grease and this gate should be done in no time!

...Well, it’s certainly something.

By the way, it’s important to go to both sides and finish building the gates. If you don’t do one side, you won’t be able to use it to get around the festival!

The rest of the festival has plenty more booths and things to see, but I think we’ll save that for later.

So for now, let’s just enjoy this picture of Jingle riding his hog and playing some tunes, and I’ll see you all next time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Seriously, loving red sauce on shaved ice for an ingredient. Just, I don't know, :psyduck: up in this bitch, I guess.

Is it some sort of reference to the show and that's why they used it? I'm sure someone in this thread will know.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Seriously, we could just get seven bottles of colored sno-cone syrup, call it a day, and spend the rest of our time playing minigames and watching the soap opera unfold.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are red balloons.

Why can't we use the balloons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The popcorn booth is red! The Ham-Crew should plan a big heist to steal it with no-one the wiser!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think Bo just really wants to eat some shaved ice, you guys.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
This game is amazing :allears:.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress.
The festival episode (or at least, the first one they did) has the focus on "exploding flowers" or fireworks, so I guess I can see why they didn't reference that. But shaved ice?

Actually, it's a shame the owners aren't included, because there was a red ribbon of Laura's featured in one episode. Get Bijou in with her ribbon obession and Bob's your uncle.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yapping Eevee posted:

...though none of them are half as cool as the Sundown Kid over here.
Welp. Of all the places I wouldn't expect this reference...

That LP keeps getting mentioned at random over the last few weeks. Weird.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So Stan and Sandy gave up going against Sparkle, so Bijou got the game instead?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Xander77 posted:

Welp. Of all the places I wouldn't expect this reference...

That LP keeps getting mentioned at random over the last few weeks. Weird.

a) I'm glad someone commented on this mysterious dude despite the red ingredient's silliness. b) Once I saw your thread start way back when, I read the OP and decided that I absolutely had to play that game. I then binged on it, getting all the rare drops and secrets and stuff. I can't recommend Live-A-Live enough. :allears:

Scalding Coffee posted:

So Stan and Sandy gave up going against Sparkle, so Bijou got the game instead?

Actually, Sparkle isn't a dancer; she's a singer.

Remember when we found her sticker, way back in Update 04? :eng101: The dancing competition hasn't started yet, which is why there's two signposts by the stage entrance. It's the second-last Ham Game of the area. Heart Catch was part of a different contest being held on the same stage, so I can see why that'd be confusing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:stare:
This is Catherine from Gregory Horror Show... Only not as a giant pink lizard with a blood drawing fetish.

By they way, she can probably make a lot of red appear.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you sure it is not the doctor from Chulip?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 10: Fairground festivities.

Having helped out with the gates after those hopeless workers went walkabout, it’s time to explore some more of the festival! We’re at the left end of another long screen, and this booth here is the Lucky Strings game where that Jingle picture came from. Its prize seems to be determined before you play, so which string you pick is irrelevant.

It’s scaring away all the customers! I’m competing with my big brother, and now I’m going to lose!

No prizes for guessing who the two booth owners happen to be. :v:

Ookwee…

I’m sorry, Penelope, but I’ll come back as soon as I can.

Pashmina! Don’t you worry! We’ll be just dandy. I promise! I’ll get Penelope laughin’ in a jiffy with my gags!

You can leave it all to me! Though I don’t look like it, I’m extremely good with children.

Penelope, I’ll be back soon, so be good and wait for me, OK?

Penelope! Please stop that cryin’! I’ll make you a tasty broiled seed!

My booth is a lot more fun than that sort of boring thing!

What’re you sayin’ about my booth?!

I’m just telling the truth, that’s all!

Yep, that went about as well as expected. We can’t just look after Penelope ourselves though, so we’ll have to leave them to it and hope for the best.

The next couple of booths are just flavour; sadly, we can’t play darts against this mysterious dude.

The TSF did help me learn how to make this, though. :toot:

We’ve reached the right side of the screen (putting the weight-lifting game to our south), so let’s take a peek up north.

There are juice and cotton candy vendors here, but all they do is give obvious hints about the two nearby minigames in exchange for a few seeds. We can’t play one of them yet, but we can try the other…

...which is Panda’s first minigame!

It’s also an absolute bastard if you happen to be rhythmically challenged.

You see, there is no way you’re going to meet the score requirement unless you get a couple of half-decent combos going, or one really amazing one. And of course, missing or whacking a nail with the wrong hammer resets your combo.

Pictured: My first attempt.

Second attempt was better, but I lost the rhythm and just couldn’t find it again.

Third try, nailed i- *shot*

...I may have celebrated a bit.

The payout is your score divided by ten, so it’s not worth repeating. Still, one more stamp for our card!

...Something seems to be missing here.

It’s my fault! I shouldn’t have been tellin’ those stupid jokes!

She must have gotten mad because we are always fighting.

Gee, you think? You two dinguses should probably go find her.

Anyway, the northwest exit from this long screen has this mother hamster who will give us one-star stickers for three seeds (she wants to buy a treat for her son), and another toy to get some out of.

It also has a pair of minigames we can’t play yet, so we’ll have to come back later. Without anything else to do, we’re going to have to find where Penelope wandered off to.

After a bit of running around, it appears she went to see someone a bit more responsible.

Ookwee! Ookwee!! Ookwee! Ookwee!!

What? You’re not moving until they stop?

Darn! Just when will I be able to open my booth?

Maxwell’s not having the greatest day today. At least we know where Penelope is now, though.

Is that true! Then, hurry and take us there!

And with Dexter and Howdy eager to get her back, surely everything will go smoothly.

Huh? Penelope? She is looking at the masks? I wonder if there is a mask she wants? Why don’t you go look?

Aside from Maxwell using up the question mark budget, it seems Penelope changed her mind slightly… Well, have you ever known a little kid to sit still? :v:

Ookwee! Ookwee!! Ookwee! Ookwee!!

We’ve been lookin’ for you, Penelope! We won’t let you get away now!

Ookwee!

Be a good girl, and let’s go home, Penelope!

...And also possibly because you were acting like a pair of creepy kidnappers. :pedo:

We’re working on it, buddy. There’s not that many places Penelope could have gone, so…

She’s a quick little thing, isn’t she?

Be a good girl, and let’s go home, Penelope!

I see… Now I know! Penelope doesn’t want to be around you because you fight so much.

Say it ain’t so!

We won’t fight anymore.

Ookwee!

She seems to be pretty upset by it all. It might be best if you had a present to cheer her up.

Hmm… Well, we already know Penelope was looking at the masks. Let’s see if our eyepatch-marked friend can help us out. (His name is Sabu, by the way. He appears occasionally in the show to rescue hamsters, typically with the aid of Françoise the pigeon.)

Give her this mask. I’m sure it will make her feel better. It’s OK, take it! Don’t mention it!

...Now all I can imagine is Howdy and Dexter desperately trying to flee from an Intenso’d Penelope. Which would be totally hilarious. :allears:

See, Penelope, it’s the mask you wanted!

Tsk, not even one sprite of Penelope with the mask on properly? Booooo.

That’s great! Well, it looks like she forgives you guys.

Thanks, y’all! Now we can open our booths.

Everyone, please come play at our booths later.

Well, shall we go, Penelope?

:rolleyes: Someone missed a real opportunity there.

Still, we had better check that everything’s going alright. Just to be safe.

It’s rented out just for you, Penelope! Play all you want!

Ookwee!

Did you behave, Penelope?

Oo...ookwee… Ookwee.

Penelope really behaved herself! Right, Dexter?

Sure! We’ve been right here playing all this time!

It was tough for the both of you, huh? Thank you so much.

Heheh… Guess Pashmina figured it’d be hard for both of them to work together on something.

Hey, if we’re all going, why don’t we all go together?

Sorry, but Dexter and I have to work our booths.

Pashmina, why don’t you go with everyone and have fun?

Thank you both! Good luck with both of your booths, too!

Their success seems to have scored Howdy and Dexter a few points with Pashmina, though. :sugartits: All’s well that ends well!

Aside from getting Pashmina and Penelope to join our little group, we’re now able to try out the guys’ booths, so let’s earn a couple more stamps.

Ah, brings back memories of feeding dragons in Chrono Cross.

...Well, that’s an oddly familiar-looking balloon.

Ookwee!

Penelope is also quite happy!

I bet she is; she’s the one who got to eat the seed!

Alright, let’s see what Dexter has to offer.

Well, at least the pictures of Pashmina and Howdy vary. Interesting how much attention and detail Dexter seems to have put into drawing his rival…

Ookwee!

You’ve got talent, Hamtaro! Come back again!

And after that, we have six out of twelve stamps! We still can’t do the one over by Nail the Rhythm, but the pair to the northwest are available now.

Penelope Pinball requires hitting all four sunflowers enough to turn them from yellow to green and finally to red; there’s no bonus for time, so don’t worry if it takes a while. Sometimes you get a lucky shot, though.

The other minigame, Toy Corral, is all about timing and making sure to get scarves on the same toy multiple times in a row. The wheel changes speed and direction with each successful throw, and a toy gets removed if it has five scarves on it. So all in all, you can get a score of 800 and earn 80 points. :signings:

With a new selection of stamps and stickers, it’s time to explore some more. The workers have run away again, so there’s some more gates to build with Penelope and Pashmina’s help.

Now that’s a little more like it! And yes, it’s recommended to do this on both sides again. We’re going in through the eastern side here…

...to arrive at another long area, and the northern-most minigame. Sadly, it’s not available to us just yet.

The area’s flyer is hidden over behind it, though! This will be handy when we actually find the store. :toot:

...Well, I’m sure this comes as a surprise to no one.

Fortunately, the festival happens to have a medical professional on hand, so let’s see if Flora can help us.

:stare: Geeze, lady. And no, that’s not me being bad at looping .gifs. Her animation genuinely looks that strange.

Eeeeeeeeya!

It’s been nice knowing you, Oxnard…

For the second time in this LP, RIP Oxnard.

It’s OK, Oxnard!

Huh? Hamtaro? Did you say something about food?

Now that I’m better, I’m starting to feel hungry again!

That’s our Oxnard! :laughtrack:

Now that we have Oxnard all healed up, there’s a little more we can do up the north end of the fairgrounds. Looks like Maxwell is almost ready to open his booth, too.

The north-most minigame lets Oxnard show off his skills on the balance beam, twirling the baskets around to gather up seeds. As shown, it’s super easy.

On the west side of this screen, there’s a few NPCs worrying about some tower building being behind schedule, and this little dilemma. Looks like Cappy’s game of Ham-and-Seek might have gone a tiny bit wrong.

Please! I need you to help him!

He seems to have gotten stuck in two pipes, at that.

Of course he will, Cappy. Now, join the party and let’s give this a shot.

Don’t worry, kid! We got ya!

I didn’t mean to make you worry. Sorry, Cappy.

It’s OK, Stucky, so long as you’re OK!

Really! Whatta troublemaking hamster!

Everyone, thanks for saving me!

No worries, Stucky! I hope you’re happy being stuck in your own little pipe.

Yeah, looks like he’s fine. Just a few more things we have to take care of, now…

Like making Cappy run a gauntlet of squeaky hammers! This is the minigame over by Nail the Rhythm, and it’s fairly simple even if Cappy has to run against a conveyer belt. You can press up against the sides of the hammers, just so long as you aren’t under them when they fall.

There’s only two stamps left to get now… The dancing competition, and Maxwell’s minigame! But before the dancing can begin, we have one more place to visit.

Back where Oxnard was lying about with his sore stomach, there’s another path to the north.

Because you’re a bunch of hopeless slackers, most likely. Yes, this is where the tower is being built, and it’s still behind schedule.

There are a couple of five-star stickers on the trees at either side of the screen, the latter of which is something that came up in Ham-Ham Heartbreak.

You see, this ticket was needed to enter a Couple’s Night at a haunted manor. Drawing an umbrella and writing a couple’s names under it is similar to the classic heart with an arrow through it you’d see carved into trees. :eng101:

In order to build the tower, I need more help from the Ham-Hams. Will you all help out?

Hey, you gave us that mask for free, and one good turn deserves another. Let’s do this thing.

The festival will really get lively once this is done!

Building the tower is definitely best watched as a video. For those who can’t, the main thing to take away from it is:

OK! Everyone, go get all the other hamsters here at the festival! It’s time to boogie like we mean it!

You got it! You guys better not try to escape this time! Let’s go!

Hamtaro! You look so cool!

B-Bijou…

All right! I’m gonna hit the drums, too!

Boss, there are times when you should watch. This is one of them.

That’s right. Let’s all have fun dancing.

You look fabulous, Hamtaro!

Hey, hey, Hamtaro! Let me take a swing at it too!

I don’t think so, Howdy! I’m going before you!

Isn’t it possible to have fun without making so much noise?

Ah, how quickly some folks can change their tune…

It’s all because of your hard work. Thanks!

You’re very welcome, Sabu. :) Now that the tower is built, there’s one last screen up north we can access.

Gee, a carrot. In an area where we have seen no other carrots. I wonder…

Yeah, it’s totally Carrobo. We also have the last two of the seed dispensers here, and they’ve got plenty to throw out.

Which is definitely a good thing, because inside this building (with a five-star sticker on top)...

...is the area’s store! Since we got the flyer earlier, it takes 274 seeds to clear the place out entirely.

The picture we got is called “Maxwell’s Great”. Actually, it comes at a really good time.

The dance contest at Sunflower Stage is now open. All confident Ham-Hams are invited to take part.

Because now that we’ve done everything else (including getting ten out of twelve stamps), it’s finally time for Stan and Sandy to strut their stuff!

...Oh. This doesn’t look good.

Big Brother! I’m starting to get nervous.

:ohdear: This isn’t good at all!

My concert is waiting for me!

You’re not helping, Sparkle! Actually… Well, we know someone that might help Sandy perform.

Hamtaro! Please take me to where she is!

That’s right, Maxwell. You gotta help whenever you can!

So, Cappy, stay here at the booth!

What? Why me?!

Ham-Hams always help one another if a problem comes up!

Don’t worry, Cappy! This won’t take long.

I was worried about you, so I came to help.

We’ll be cheering you on from here! Good luck!

Maxwell! Everyone!

Uh-huh! I’ll try my best. Everyone, be sure to watch us!

Ohhh, my little sis! Isn’t the power of love just great?

Took the words right out of my mouth, Stan. :3:

You bet! Come on, Stan and Sandy! :krakentoot:

Uh-huh! Let’s do our best, Big Brother!

Of course, Shadow Dancing is the obligatory game of Simon, starting at one input and going all the way up to eight. Making a mistake means losing a chance to gain popularity, which means less points at the end. It’s only the difference between thirty and forty points though, so don’t stress about it.

We won because of all of your support! It’s great to have truly great friends!

Thank you, everyone! We won, thanks to you all!

And with that, we have just one final thing to do before winning the stamp rally!

I’m sorry, Cappy, but you really helped me.

OK! Let’s open for business! This time I’ll really open!

Took you long enough, bud. :mmmhmm:

Since we’ve had our game of Simon, let’s also have a card-matching memory game! Three strikes, and you’re out.

I’d say that the Ham Games here were easy because they were mandatory, but Nail the Rhythm was a thing, so…

Here! Your stamp for the rally! Come again!

At long last! Let’s go claim our red ingredient!

Mm...mmmmm.

Why are you in such a panic, Bo?

What?!

It’s true! It’s all gone!

Can you believe this?

Hey! I want a refund!

Mom! I want to eat some shaved ice!

Don’t underestimate us!

My… My hips.

Well, it looks like the crowd’s in an uproar! Aside from the old ham, anyway.

Here’s your prize… One year’s worth of shaved ice!

Isn’t that great, Hamtaro?

If everyone’s happy, it was worth the effort!

Anyway, when you eat ice-cream bars, you get brain freeze!

Here, Hamtaro! Say… “aaahhhhhhh!”

My brain! It’s frozen!

:rolleyes: I’m not sure that’s the ice’s fault…

At long last! This has been a pretty lengthy endeavour, so let’s leave the usual song and dance until next time… Until then, I hope you all enjoyed the Ham-Ham festival!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Is there supposed to be motion here? Because I don't see anything moving.

Edit: Never mind, it's moving now.

And that hamster scares the poo poo out of me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dexter's minigame is hilarious.

This is also fantastic.

Was there ever a popularity poll for the Hams? Would be interesting where each one falls.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now that animation sort of makes sense. Might be hilarious at double speed.
It is great Bo comes along and tell you how badly you failed games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Well I'm now all caught up with the thread. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed I didn't hear a word about this game coming out way back when. Although, judging from what I've seen so far, it looks a little too mini-game heavy for my tastes. Of course, I'd probably enjoy it just the same like the GBC game and Ham-Ham Heartbreak.

Anyway, I can't say the whole "Shaved Ice is an ingredient" really caught me off guard... considering I played Heartbreak and all. Then again, I think that's more because there's nothing in my head that really tells me to stop and think unless something overly exceptionally bizarre happens. Also, speaking of ingredients, has anyone been getting a Toriko vibe from this plot? I mean granted you aren't collecting these things to make some awesome meal, but a rainbow instead. It's probably just me though.

And I have to admit... I'm kind of tempted to switch my avatar from Majin Regal to The Ham With No Name.

• Locked thread